PDA

View Full Version : Rockies cut Brad Hawpe

mzh
08-18-2010, 11:05 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/08/brad-hawpe-clears-waivers.html

IDK at this point, just do something to improve the team...

Pablo_Honey
08-18-2010, 11:10 PM

Do not want. He seems to be a Coors product and even there he wasn't so hot this year. Unless Walker begs Kenny to get him because he saw something in him that he could fix, I don't see it happening anyway.

LoveYourSuit
08-18-2010, 11:10 PM
He has a .771 OPS for a down year and hits LH.

I would take a flyer on him.

Can he be worse than Kotsay?

That is my measuring device going forward. Kotsaymeter.

JB98
08-18-2010, 11:17 PM
Pass. If the Rockies are cutting him, how good can he be?

mzh
08-18-2010, 11:20 PM
Pass. If the Rockies are cutting him, how good can he be?
The Rox have a plethora of good young outfielders with Fowler, CarGo, and Smith. They really didn't need him, so I guess they just let him go for salary purposes :dunno:

TDog
08-18-2010, 11:42 PM

Is he a relief pitcher?

Pablo_Honey
08-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Is he a relief pitcher?
He's got a cannon arm. Apparently he once pitched in Cape Code and rumours have it that he could crank it up to 90+ MPH. Coop'll fix'em?

JB98
08-19-2010, 12:43 AM
The Rox have a plethora of good young outfielders with Fowler, CarGo, and Smith. They really didn't need him, so I guess they just let him go for salary purposes :dunno:

Unusual that they would let go of a veteran left-handed stick for nothing. They must really think the guy sucks, and there must be no trade market for him whatsoever. That's why I'm inclined to stay away from him.

SoxSpeed22
08-19-2010, 12:48 AM
There was no market for Alex Rios last year either. The only concern is if his injuries might effect him long term.
There's no way in hell anyone should pay that much this year. Since they will probably buy out his contract, free agency would be a good time to strike.

Zisk77
08-19-2010, 06:54 AM
There was no market for Alex Rios last year either. The only concern is if his injuries might effect him long term.
There's no way in hell anyone should pay that much this year. Since they will probably buy out his contract, free agency would be a good time to strike.

That was only becasue of his contract. No one currently will touch Vernon Wells either but he is a fine player.

LoveYourSuit
08-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Unusual that they would let go of a veteran left-handed stick for nothing. They must really think the guy sucks, and there must be no trade market for him whatsoever. That's why I'm inclined to stay away from him.

If we use Kotsay as the measuring device, can he be this bad?

Might be worth a try at basically no expense of prospects.

JB98
08-19-2010, 11:09 PM
If we use Kotsay as the measuring device, can he be this bad?

Might be worth a try at basically no expense of prospects.

Brad Hawpe: .255/.343/.432, 7 HRs, 37 RBIs
Mark Kotsay: .236/.310/.391, 8 HRs, 28 RBIs

The upgrade is so marginal that it doesn't seem worth it to me.

I think Teahen is a better hitter than Hawpe right now, so if anybody should take Kotsay's place, it is Teahen.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Yes, this is just a down year, he's had a decent career. Do it. Anything helps over Kotsay.

I think Teahen is a better hitter than Hawpe right now, so if anybody should take Kotsay's place, it is Teahen.Yet Kotsay seems to be getting regular playing time still... We need Kotsay gone, Teahen can't do it himself.

JB98
08-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Some of you are just desperate. Hawpe has sucked in the National League all year. He's only slightly better than Kotsay, who is hated and despised on this board. Yet you all think Hawpe's going to come to the American League and save the White Sox?

Let's get real.

Why are WSIers so fascinated with the crap other teams release?

Gavin
08-20-2010, 12:39 PM
I think it's more like.. Kotsay is so bad that an alternative is very attractive.

JB98
08-20-2010, 12:44 PM
I think it's more like.. Kotsay is so bad that an alternative is very attractive.

I'm not going to defend Kotsay. I just don't understand why people think replacing garbage with more garbage is the answer.

russ99
08-20-2010, 01:01 PM
I'm not going to defend Kotsay. I just don't understand why people think replacing garbage with more garbage is the answer.

Oh, no it's much worse that that.

They want Kotsay replaced by virtually anyone, whether they're decent players or not, even rookies. What's next, Stephan Gartrell or C.J. Retherford?

Look what the guy did the last 2 weeks, I don't see the problem with putting him in situations where he may help the team, though it's obvious he shouldn't be playing full time.

Tragg
08-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Kotsay can field a couple of positions pretty well at least.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Kotsay can field a couple of positions pretty well at least.Am I looking at the wrong person?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hawpebr01.shtml

He doesn't look like garbage to me, he's just having a down year. It's like saying replacing Kotsay with Rios last year would have been a bad thing. I really need someone to explain why Hawpe is garbage, because I don't play a lot of attention to the other league.

JB98
08-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Am I looking at the wrong person?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hawpebr01.shtml

He doesn't look like garbage to me, he's just having a down year. It's like saying replacing Kotsay with Rios last year would have been a bad thing. I really need someone to explain why Hawpe is garbage, because I don't play a lot of attention to the other league.

I already posted the numbers. They are terrible for a corner outfielder who is considered a subpar defender.

The Sox are not going to cut Kotsay and pick up Hawpe. I'm sorry.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-20-2010, 06:59 PM
I already posted the numbers. They are terrible for a corner outfielder who is considered a subpar defender.

The Sox are not going to cut Kotsay and pick up Hawpe. I'm sorry.I thought defense didn't mean **** for a DH? Hypocrites, all of ya.

ZombieRob
08-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Sometimes one mans garbage, is another mans treasure:tongue:

A. Cavatica
08-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Kotsay can field a couple of positions pretty well at least.

He's a Gold Glove candidate at DH.

Coops4Aces
08-24-2010, 03:22 PM
And he's released. Sign him for the minimum!

JermaineDye05
08-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Good thing we never claimed him.

pythons007
08-24-2010, 04:08 PM
No, he doesn't hit away from Coors and is god awful in the field. Get Manny before wasting anything on this sack of ****.