PDA

View Full Version : Did somebody hijack Joe Cowley's Twitter account? Or is he just nuts?

Fenway
08-18-2010, 11:27 PM
Joe Cowley is the talk of the baseball twitter world tonight.

He blasted all things Minnesota last night

http://deadspin.com/5616047/white-sox-beat-writer-goes-nuts-on-minnesota

I am surprised I found nothing about this here - The Boston writers were laughing about it.

GoGoCrede
08-18-2010, 11:29 PM
He's posted similar immature **** on his Twitter before. I wouldn't be surprised if this is him.

tacosalbarojas
08-18-2010, 11:29 PM
Joe Cowley is the talk of the baseball twitter world tonight.

He blasted all things Minnesota last night

http://deadspin.com/5616047/white-sox-beat-writer-goes-nuts-on-minnesota

I am surprised I found nothing anout this hereCowley being Cowley. He is correct about Puckett, btw.

Johnny Mostil
08-18-2010, 11:32 PM
He went completely the other way tonight, as Margalus (http://twitter.com/SoxMachine/status/21534200683) noted.

thomas35forever
08-18-2010, 11:33 PM
He went completely the other way tonight, as Margalus (http://twitter.com/SoxMachine/status/21534200683) noted.

Someone must have put something in his drink.

DirtySox
08-18-2010, 11:35 PM
I love Joe. He was quite amusing tonight.

Chisox353014
08-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Cowley being Cowley. He is correct about Puckett, btw.

I lived in Minneapolis for 2+ years. He's correct about a lot of stuff, actually.

Slappy
08-18-2010, 11:41 PM
Go Cowley! LOL.

Some funny stuff in there, and I was sitting behind a 4 or 5 with a solid 7 or 8 at the series finale of the last Twins series.

Fenway
08-19-2010, 01:03 AM
He signed off in style tonight

I would rather spend 3 road trips a year in Minneapolis over KC, Cleveland or Detroit.

Sent: Aug 19, 2010 12:35a

Good nite South Side, good nite Minnesota - going to start my career as a wedding singer. Good nite John Boy ... nite Merk! I luv everyone.

sent via API
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/21549952535

kaufsox
08-19-2010, 10:02 AM
yeah, Cowley does this stuff all the time when on the road. I don't know why Deadspin got a bug up their rear over the MN stuff, but it was rather tame compared to his jibes at DET and CLE.

chisox12
08-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Cowley's twitter feed is always amusing during a game...

Rohan
08-19-2010, 11:58 AM
I actually enjoyed what Cowley had to say for once.

twsoxfan5
08-19-2010, 12:03 PM
I hate Cowley's twitter and they way he talks about other cities embarrasses me. I followed him for a while, but stopped a while ago b/c I could not stand the guy.

DirtySox
08-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Cowley's twitter feed is always amusing during a game...

Cowley is the ultimate troll, and I love it. He angers so many people.

whitesoxfan
08-19-2010, 03:52 PM
I hate Cowley's twitter and they way he talks about other cities embarrasses me. I followed him for a while, but stopped a while ago b/c I could not stand the guy.

Your loss. I think the guy's pretty damn funny and he definitely helps in terms of keeping me sane.

People may not agree, but I think he's a pretty good beat writer. Is he wrong about trade rumors and stuff like that? Sure. But what beat writer doesn't throw crap at the wall? That's sort of their job.

Bob Roarman
08-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Not very professional, but that's kinda gone by the wayside anyway.

Uncontested
08-20-2010, 01:05 AM
He signed off in style tonight

I would rather spend 3 road trips a year in Minneapolis over KC, Cleveland or Detroit.

Best one of them all, LOL.

southside rocks
08-20-2010, 08:05 AM
Deadspin used to find the 'out there' stuff funny, now they're offended by it? I miss what Deadspin used to be. Once Will Leitch turned it over to his minions, it lost what made it a daily read for me.

Cowley's stuff is very frat-boy (to this female fan who is over 30). Yawn.

twsoxfan5
08-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Your loss. I think the guy's pretty damn funny and he definitely helps in terms of keeping me sane.

People may not agree, but I think he's a pretty good beat writer. Is he wrong about trade rumors and stuff like that? Sure. But what beat writer doesn't throw crap at the wall? That's sort of their job.

Nope, my gain. I don't care about him being wrong about trade rumors. I got sick of his act. I don't really find insulting other countries/cities & their people amusing. I also don't think his little jokes about Merkin and everyone else in the organization funny either. I am not offended by these things I just find them annoying. If you like him that is cool and that is why you are following him. I don't and that is why I am not.

ilsox7
08-20-2010, 10:20 AM

I did the same. He is a failure at everything he has ever done in public.

Milw
08-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Nope, my gain. I don't care about him being wrong about trade rumors. I got sick of his act. I don't really find insulting other countries/cities & their people amusing. I also don't think his little jokes about Merkin and everyone else in the organization funny either. I am not offended by these things I just find them annoying. If you like him that is cool and that is why you are following him. I don't and that is why I am not.
Agree 100%. I was a follower of his from the very early days of Twitter. I'm pretty sure he was the first person I ever "unfollowed," in fact. As a struggling J school grad myself, it infuriates me that he has such a high-profile job. Although I could say that about Mark Gonzales as well, for entirely different reasons...

spawn
08-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Cowley is an immature assclown...plain and simple. I followed his tweets. But his tweets weren't funny. They were annoying. There are those that obviously like him. That's fine. But to me, he's Mariotti Lite IMO.

Foulke You
08-20-2010, 05:34 PM
But to me, he's Mariotti Lite IMO.
Sorry, but Rick Morrissey has already earned the "Mariotti Lite" title. You'll need to think of something else for Cowley. :cool:

spawn
08-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Sorry, but Rick Morrissey has already earned the "Mariotti Lite" title. You'll need to think of something else for Cowley. :cool:

Mariotti Jr.? Mini Mariotti?

Brian26
08-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Agree 100%. I was a follower of his from the very early days of Twitter. I'm pretty sure he was the first person I ever "unfollowed," in fact. As a struggling J school grad myself, it infuriates me that he has such a high-profile job. Although I could say that about Mark Gonzales as well, for entirely different reasons...

The problem is that journalism, at least in sports, hardly exists anymore. Cowley is an entertainer (a poor one, at that), and perhaps he secretly aspires to be a comedian. He's in no way a journalist.

LoveYourSuit
08-21-2010, 12:51 AM
A reporter/jounalist who directs at people with the word "bro," talk about professionalism :rolleyes:

DrCrawdad
08-21-2010, 02:28 AM
Isn't Cowley from MN or at least doesn't he visit there often in the offseason?
It doesn't make his tweets right but I'm just saying...

TornLabrum
08-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Who'da thunk that Cowley would be an idiot after seeing the quality of his posts when he was registered here?

soltrain21
08-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Who'da thunk that Cowley would be an idiot after seeing the quality of his posts when he was registered here?

What was his screen name? I want to go back and find his posts.

TommyJohn
08-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Mariotti Jr.? Mini Mariotti?Aaron Rowand already crowned Greg Couch "mini-Mariotti." How about the first thing you called him? Immature assclown-that seems to fit pretty nicely.

TommyJohn
08-21-2010, 11:45 AM
What was his screen name? I want to go back and find his posts.

jcowley21. He posted all of three times before his wannabe frat boy BS got him run off the board.

nccwsfan
08-21-2010, 01:51 PM
:shrug:

I enjoy his work and his posts, and as far as beat writers go he's more informative than the others. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

SI1020
08-21-2010, 08:10 PM
The problem is that journalism, at least in sports, hardly exists anymore. Cowley is an entertainer (a poor one, at that), and perhaps he secretly aspires to be a comedian. He's in no way a journalist. You've summed it up quite nicely IMHO.

SI1020
08-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Isn't Cowley from MN or at least doesn't he visit there often in the offseason?
It doesn't make his tweets right but I'm just saying... No, he's from Cleveland.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3744

DrCrawdad
08-21-2010, 08:52 PM
No, he's from Cleveland.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3744

I know that but Cowley does have a home in MN. (I did a Google search on "Joe cowley" AND MN and found support for my earlier comment.

Sockinchisox
08-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Since when the hell has Cowley been considered a White Sox homer?

SI1020
08-21-2010, 10:38 PM
I know that but Cowley does have a home in MN. (I did a Google search on "Joe cowley" AND MN and found support for my earlier comment. Sorry, thought you were asking his hometown. I have travel lag at the moment, so perhaps I'm not up to par. I find it interesting that a native Clevelander rooted for the Steelers. If you've ever spent any time in either Cleveland or Pittsburgh you know rooting for the other city's teams is tantamount to the worst kind of treason. It seems that Cowley has always liked to be outrageous. Which is all right I suppose if you have the personality and the talent to pull it off.

Milw
08-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Since when the hell has Cowley been considered a White Sox homer?
I thought the same thing when I read that. Dude's almost as perpetually pessimistic as Paul Sullivan...