PDA

View Full Version : Chris Sale

mzh
08-18-2010, 10:31 PM
Watching Sale pitching, it made me think. The Sox seem to be doing the same thing with Sale as the Rays did with David Price 2 years ago- it would not surprise me in the least to see Sale closing out some games if Bobby is either unavailable or bad. If Sale ends up what like David Price looks like he is, we have our ace. The kid has some nasty stuff.

Bucky F. Dent
08-18-2010, 10:40 PM
The kid looks good. great action on his slider.

Red Barchetta
08-19-2010, 09:48 AM
He looked good. Especially from the dead-on CF camera angle at Target Field.

JC456
08-19-2010, 10:03 AM
First White Sox pitcher I ever saw make Mauer look bad at home plate. That third strike in the 6th had Mauer swinging as he released the ball. I was amazed. I think Mauer missed the pitch by three feet.

guillensdisciple
08-19-2010, 01:14 PM
No wonder he was such a solid pitching prospect- I can't wait to see him start games, even though it seems like he will be struggling for a spot for a long time. He could be the shot in the arm that this bullpen needs.

As a side note,props up to Linebrink for coming up big the last couple of days.

LoveYourSuit
08-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Kenny has drafted three solid future players here with Sale, Beckham, and Mitchell. I still think Mitchell has a very high ceiling, hope he comes back strong from that injury.

oeo
08-19-2010, 02:42 PM
First White Sox pitcher I ever saw make Mauer look bad at home plate. That third strike in the 6th had Mauer swinging as he released the ball. I was amazed. I think Mauer missed the pitch by three feet.

I don't think lefties see his slider well at all. He nailed the inside corner twice on Thome and Thome was whining about it. Two pitches later he swept one over the outside corner. Perhaps Ozzie should have went with him in the 10th on Tuesday? You know Ozzie's not afraid to put him in that situation and it appears Sale is pretty fearless as well. That was a big situation yesterday in a hostile environment and he got the job done flawlessly.

I just hope he can stay healthy.

Corlose 15
08-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Kenny has drafted three solid future players here with Sale, Beckham, and Mitchell. I still think Mitchell has a very high ceiling, hope he comes back strong from that injury.

The worst thing about that injury is the year of development that it takes away from him. The original plan was to have him ready to take over for Pierre in 2012 or maybe even earlier. Hopefully he hits the ground running (:cool:) in the AFL.

soxfanreggie
08-19-2010, 06:14 PM
I've been very happy with Sale. If he can do even part of what Price is doing a couple years down the road, that will bode well for the Sox with him, Danks, Floyd, and hopefully a healthy Peavy.

ghostface36
08-19-2010, 08:27 PM
sale has really really good ****in stuff

SoxSpeed22
08-19-2010, 08:42 PM
I like what Sale has done so far, but let's not count our chickens before they hatch. There are still some things he could learn while in AAA. His changeup and slider can be devastating out pitches, and he can turn into a very good starter a couple years from now.

guillensdisciple
08-19-2010, 09:17 PM
He has disgusting stuff, and if you look at his inning to K ratio it is almost 1-2 and that's pretty sick. The guy is almost at that right now, after a shaky start. I'll agree with Soxspeed22, he needs some tuning, but I think he's the closest thing we have had to a guaranteed pitching prospect in a long time. I think this guy is the ace of the future, and I'm talking big time ace.

JermaineDye05
08-19-2010, 09:29 PM
He's got great action on his fastball. It's a lot faster than I thought. I for some reason thought he topped out at 93-94.

He made Mauer look bad last night and he made Johnny Damon look absolutely awful last Sunday when he blew him away with a 96 mph fastball up and in.

kjhanson
08-19-2010, 10:46 PM
He's got great action on his fastball. It's a lot faster than I thought. I for some reason thought he topped out at 93-94.

Yeah, I had no clue we'd see upper 90s out of him, but I've seen 97 at least once from him. Between him and Thornton, we have two of the harder tossing LHs in the league.

ghostface36
08-19-2010, 10:57 PM
He made Mauer look bad last night
he made mauer look the worst ive seen him in a long long time
sale should be starting for us in the next two years, he has tremendous stuff

russ99
08-19-2010, 11:02 PM
Yeah, I had no clue we'd see upper 90s out of him, but I've seen 97 at least once from him. Between him and Thornton, we have two of the harder tossing LHs in the league.

Thornton's a FA after next season, so Sale might take his place or close.

I don't see why everyone's set that Sale is going to start other than his draft status. Plenty of high picks go on to be impact closers.

Jenks, Thornton and Putz aren't going to be here much longer and between Sale and Santos we could have a couple of live arms who can do the job without spending $9M on a FA to be closer.

twinsuck
08-19-2010, 11:02 PM
I literally went "wow...." after that Joe Mauer at bat last night, that amazed me.

guillensdisciple
08-19-2010, 11:13 PM

I don't see why everyone's set that Sale is going to start other than his draft status. Plenty of high picks go on to be impact closers.

Jenks, Thornton and Putz aren't going to be here much longer and between Sale and Santos we could have a couple of live arms who can do the job without spending $9M on a FA to be closer.

Why would you waste a top of the liner starting pitching prospect just to get a better bullpen?

Price could have been a hell of a bullpen arm, but Tampa did not stick with it. You're wasting what is devastating potential for a starting pitcher. He could be one of those lights out 200 K type guys if he pitches like most scouts say he can.

russ99
08-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Why would you waste a top of the liner starting pitching prospect just to get a better bullpen?

Price could have been a hell of a bullpen arm, but Tampa did not stick with it. You're wasting what is devastating potential for a starting pitcher. He could be one of those lights out 200 K type guys if he pitches like most scouts say he can.

No, it's not to get a better bullpen, it's to get a top of the line closer locked down under team control for 5+ years, which wouldn't be wasting his talent. It's not like there's a spot for him the next 2-3 years with our current rotation.

Are you so sold on his ability that you's trade Buehrle or Danks to make a spot in the rotation for him?

We're spoiled by Bobby, good closers aren't a dime-a-dozen. Tampa has their closer issues the last few years, and overspent on Soriano this offseason.

Maybe he'll be dominant starting next year in Charlotte to warrant the same protection as Price, but there's too much of an assumption that we have an ace in the making. Besides, the Sox didn't have Sale work with Thigpen in the minors this summer for nothing.

Either way, I'll be happy with Sale's potential on the Sox pitching staff, but I don't think this should be dismissed out of hand based on his draft position or prospect status.

DonnieDarko
08-20-2010, 04:37 AM
What's this with thinking that we won't resign Thornton? Don't we have a lot of money coming off of the books next year?

kevingrt
08-20-2010, 10:40 AM
What's this with thinking that we won't resign Thornton? Don't we have a lot of money coming off of the books next year?

Well if Paulie, AJ, and Bobby all go yes we will have a lot of money so I would assume KW will try to resign Putz or Thornton. As for the closer's role in the future I expect Santos to be our guy come 2011. I'd love to see Sale spend another year in the 'pen next year and then possibly in 2012 him be our #4 or something starter.

Hitmen77
08-20-2010, 11:50 AM
No, it's not to get a better bullpen, it's to get a top of the line closer locked down under team control for 5+ years, which wouldn't be wasting his talent. It's not like there's a spot for him the next 2-3 years with our current rotation.

Are you so sold on his ability that you's trade Buehrle or Danks to make a spot in the rotation for him?

We're spoiled by Bobby, good closers aren't a dime-a-dozen. Tampa has their closer issues the last few years, and overspent on Soriano this offseason.

Maybe he'll be dominant starting next year in Charlotte to warrant the same protection as Price, but there's too much of an assumption that we have an ace in the making. Besides, the Sox didn't have Sale work with Thigpen in the minors this summer for nothing.

Either way, I'll be happy with Sale's potential on the Sox pitching staff, but I don't think this should be dismissed out of hand based on his draft position or prospect status.

:scratch: Do you seriously think we have all 5 spots in our rotation locked up for the next 2-3 seasons?

You must not realize that Edwin Jackson is a free agent after next season and that his agent is Scott Boras.

Also, while Peavy is scheduled to be back next spring, I'm not counting on him being back and effective until I see it happen. Sale might be in the starting rotation sooner than you think.

Pablo_Honey
08-20-2010, 12:25 PM
I don't mean to sound like an ass, but you are also assuming that we have a closer in the making in Sale. There is no guarantee Sale will be lights out as a close either. While he's been filthy out of the pen, he's yet to close a game.

Well considering the complete mess that is the Sox bullpen, yes, it's not that simple to dimiss Sale as a closer option either (See: Papelbon, Jonathan). But the problem I have with Sale closing is that he has a huge potential as a starter (great control, two plus pitches and a workable third pitch). I'd rather see him start first and then get a shot at closing if and only if the Sox despartely need pen help and/or think Sale's health is too much of a risk.

GAsoxfan
08-20-2010, 02:49 PM
:scratch: Do you seriously think we have all 5 spots in our rotation locked up for the next 2-3 seasons?

You must not realize that Edwin Jackson is a free agent after next season and that his agent is Scott Boras.

Also, while Peavy is scheduled to be back next spring, I'm not counting on him being back and effective until I see it happen. Sale might be in the starting rotation sooner than you think.

Buehrle is a free agent after next season as well.

PalehosePlanet
08-20-2010, 04:58 PM
I'd give Sale at least two to three years as a starter , and if he goes through growing pains so be it, before I'd even consider putting him permanently in the pen. This kid has true ace potential.

After seeing his stuff --- scouts concerns regarding his delivery notwithstanding --- I can't believe he didn't go top five in the draft. We lucked out here.

soxfanreggie
08-20-2010, 05:50 PM

I would like us to re-sign Thornton. I was hoping we would have added on a year or two after last year, even if they were club options at $4-5 million.

As for Sale, I was happy to see scouting takes on him. They were pretty good except becoming a little better at pitch control in the strike zone and being a bit flat at times. The guy can shut down lefties for sure and should be a great pitcher for the future.

russ99
08-21-2010, 12:16 PM
I would like us to re-sign Thornton. I was hoping we would have added on a year or two after last year, even if they were club options at $4-5 million.

As for Sale, I was happy to see scouting takes on him. They were pretty good except becoming a little better at pitch control in the strike zone and being a bit flat at times. The guy can shut down lefties for sure and should be a great pitcher for the future.

Thornton's one of the best lefthanded relievers in the game, and the Sox only have him locked in for a $3M club option for 2010. After that, all bets are off. He's been underpaid the last few years (and will be next year), so he has zero incentive to let the Sox continue that trend with an extension, especially without a player option.

I can easily see someone giving Matt $8-9M to close if he hits the open market, and may not take less to come back to the Sox for a setup role.

Also, the relationship between the Sox and Boras isn't as contentious as it was, so it's not a closed case that Jackson isn't coming back after next year.

I wonder if they may work on extension as soon as this offseason, since other than his last 3 starts with us and the no-hitter, he's had a pretty ugly year and won't be getting Peavy/Buehrle dollars anytime soon.

Let's wait and see on Sale. I think next season in AAA will tell us a lot as to what his future may be.

soxfanreggie
08-21-2010, 03:47 PM
If Jackson has success here, likes Ozzie and Coop, and gets a good offer, I can see him staying. As for Thornton, I'm willing to give him a player option - maybe a mutual option. My point was more trying to do that a year or two ago. His all-star appearance was deserved but probably raised his price another million or two per year.