:whiner:

hi im skot
08-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Wow.

I'm speechless.

cws05champ
08-17-2010, 10:24 PM
UN- ****ing believable.

No we didn't need Thome..... **** Ozzie.

thomas35forever
We'll never hear the end of it from the pro-Thome crowd now.

ChicagoG19
**** the Twins. **** the Twins. **** the mother****ing Twins. :angry::angry::angry::angry:

DirtySox
08-17-2010, 10:25 PM
This game brought the lulz.

No place for Thome eh?

Blueprint1
That hurt.:(:

GoGoCrede
Sucked the life right out of me. Thome and I are done professionally.

Trying hard to be optimistic, but **** it. I'm just gonna wallow in this one.

ndgt10
That's not just game, that's season.

Thome with a bomb off of a meatball fastball by Thornton.

34rancher
We deserved it... What the **** was THornton doing out there for a 3rd inning???? DUMB DUMB DUMB

october23sp
**** Jim Thome. :shrug:

RTI_SoxFan
That ball was absolutely CRUSHED... And boy did that hurt!:angry::angry::angry:

Lots of work to do!!!

Zisk77
08-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Yeah, never a good idea to bunt down a run in the sixth...

Martinigirl
What happened to our once fantastic bullpen? We can't close out a game no matter who is pitching.

soxfanreggie
That was just horrible. If we don't take the next two, we're out of it barring a monumental collapse by the Twins - a team that isn't failing miserably like we are.

JermaineDye05
That's three straight heartbreakers.

For the people who thought Ozzie made the wrong decision going to Thornton.

Who'd you expect him to go with?

Putz has been horrible in back to back outings. Sale went a couple innings the other day and is a rookie. Pena and Linebrink don't even belong unless we're up or down by a lot.

It was the right decision, we just got beat as has been the case of late.

Cat Thief

Sad but true. How the **** am I supposed to go to sleep now?

GoGoCrede
My browser keeps crashing on me. **** you, Twins.

hi im skot
08-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Crushing.

It's easy to second-guess Thornton being out there, but would Putz been any better?

Rockin Robin
08-17-2010, 10:28 PM

YEAH! **** Jim Thome for going to a team that actually wanted him and sticking it to the team that told him they didn't have a spot for him! Yeah! **** him!
:rolleyes:

34rancher
That hurt.:(:

It wouldn't hurt as bad if I thought we would drill, drill, and dril again Young. We will talk about it and ultimately do nothing...We are a bunch of wimps...

soxinem1
This game brought the lulz.

No place for Thome eh?

Nope. Kotsay and Teahan will more than make up for Thome's bat, and be able to play defense too....

Brian26
We deserved it... What the **** was THornton doing out there for a 3rd inning???? DUMB DUMB DUMB

Ask Jenks. Or Putz.

guillensdisciple
**** you Ozzie, you have ****ed us over way too many times with your managing. God ****ing damnit, god ****ing damnit.

Delmon Young changed everything for us, but Ozzie's dumb ****ing bullpen management screwed us once again. This was our ****ing game to win, and we pissed it away.

This thing is over, how many times can you be punched in the ****ing heart like this. Unbelievable, just unbelievable, I can't honestly take this kind of **** anymore. Why, why do you leave him in? Where is Putz? YOU HAD THIS GAME!!!!!!

This season is done- and this time it is all Ozzie's doing. Unbelievable, unvelievable. Just ****ing unbelievable. I continue to put faith in this ****ing baseball team and they continue to give me this when it comes to crunch time. I can't believe this, this was in our hands, we gave it away. WE have lost so many 1 run games- this team is done.

Wow, just wow.

kevingrt
08-17-2010, 10:29 PM
speechless in more ways then one.

feel sorry for the ranger tonite that is for sure

SoxSpeed22
08-17-2010, 10:30 PM
From the beginning, the odds were against us. Courage can only get you so far.
Putz, Linebrink and Sale wouldn't have done any better and Jenks is hurt.
If worst comes to worst, go Rays, go Rangers, go Yankees.

GoGoCrede

Thome with a bomb off of a meatball fastball by Thornton.

I will wait for the flames, but I don't think this is true.

RadioheadRocks
"S-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s"

And that's all I'm gonna say.

hi im skot
**** you Ozzie, you have ****ed us over way too many times with your managing. God ****ing damnit, god ****ing damnit.

Delmon Young changed everything for us, but Ozzie's dumb ****ing bullpen management screwed us once again. This was our ****ing game to win, and we pissed it away.

This thing is over, how many times can you be punched in the ****ing heart like this. Unbelievable, just unbelievable, I can't honestly take this kind of **** anymore. Why, why do you leave him in? Where is Putz? YOU HAD THIS GAME!!!!!!

This season is done- and this time it is all Ozzie's doing. Unbelievable, unvelievable. Just ****ing unbelievable. I continue to put faith in this ****ing baseball team and they continue to give me this when it comes to crunch time. I can't believe this, this was in our hands, we gave it away. WE have lost so many 1 run games- this team is done.

Wow, just wow.

Again, do you throw Putz or Linebrink out there? Ozzie didn't throw a meatball to Thome.

october23sp
Bag 'em up for tomorrows game.

:anon:

kevingrt

Wow, just wow.

whats putz done the last two times out there. and did thornton not look dominant vs repko?

doublem23
08-17-2010, 10:31 PM
That looked like fun. :(:

thomas35forever
Crushing.

It's easy to second-guess Thornton being out there, but would Putz been any better?

That's three straight heartbreakers.

For the people who thought Ozzie made the wrong decision going to Thornton.

Who'd you expect him to go with?

Putz has been horrible in back to back outings. Sale went a couple innings the other day and is a rookie. Pena and Linebrink don't even belong unless we're up or down by a lot.

It was the right decision, we just got beat as has been the case of late.
Yes and yes. I did not want Putz out there. I preferred the Thornton/Thome match-up, especially with Jenks out. We just got flat out beat. I hope people are seeing now why it's not that simple to move relievers out of their familiar roles this late into the season.

DaveFeelsRight
to quote myself from 1/26/10:

calling it now, thome is gonna hurt us.

EdHerman12
Same old same old..Our starting pitcher has one bad inning...we play catch up only to have our relief pitching collapse...I could see the end result coming a mile away....

WhiteSox5187
That might be the back breaker right there. I just kicked a hole into my coffee table (it's not real wood)...after the **** that happened with AJ though if we are losing tomorrow, **** civility, start hitting guys.

johnnyg83
08-17-2010, 10:32 PM

How about **** Ozzie Guillen?

Thome? The guy wanted to play for us.

hi im skot
to quote myself from 1/26/10:

Cool.

BadBobbyJenks
I hate to go all Pedro here, but we just got to tip our cap and call em our daddy.

Thank god we got rid of that washed up DH who couldn't play the field.

WhiteSox5187
Again, do you throw Putz or Linebrink out there? Ozzie didn't throw a meatball to Thome.

It's Ozzie's fault every time we lose.

DickAllen72
If Ozzie dares compliment the Twins at all after this bulls*** he should be fired on the spot. I don't want to hear how that was a "good clean hit" on AJ or "that's the way you're supposed to play the game bulls*** from Ozzie.

And if the Sox don't exact revenge on the Twins the next two games, both baseball-wise and extra-curricularly, then I question the team's character and heart.

vinny
08-17-2010, 10:33 PM
It wouldn't hurt as bad if I thought we would drill, drill, and dril again Young. We will talk about it and ultimately do nothing...We are a bunch of wimps...
Damn right. Why give him the satisfaction of a hit? Drill, baby, drill.

Our bullpen is just ****ing awful right now.

kittle42
Surely not a season-ending loss, but man, has it been a tough few weeks.

That was one that you feel like had to be won in this series.

We were discussing in the gamethread whether the Young hit on AJ was a good thing as a catalyst for the Sox. I said I thought yes, whether or not it happened today. Then it did happen today. Then it all got taken away, anyway.

Aw, **** it all. I'm watching the next two games peeking through my hands which will be covering my eyes.

Quentin08
No use in trying to go to bed tonight. No way I'm falling asleep after that. :(::angry:

JB98
Sometimes, it's just not your year.

The Sox are losing this division in the cruelest way possible, a series of one-run losses and late blown leads over the past two weeks.

theamb
Well, that was fitting

ndgt10
The Twins own us.

Face it, they are a much better team than we are.

Their lineup is sick and that's without morneau.

If Morneau wouldn't have been injured, we would have been in the 2nd place battle with the Tigers along time ago.

Twins are running away with this division.

This season is ovah.

whitesoxfan
Season ender. Thanks for not signing Thome when we had the chance, guys. Really appreciate that.

soxinem1
08-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Thome has no chance against tough LHP, huh? Whatever.

This game reminded me of him when he played for CLE.

Chewed us up all the time.

Soxfest
This is pathectic!

johnnyg83
Not trying to sound meoldramatic, but this 11-12 game stretch has hurt as much as any I can remember.

spongyfungy

And you aren't second guessing. Quite a few people in the game thread asked the same question.

veeter
Another instance where an opposing player cheap shots our catcher and there is no response.

DaveFeelsRight
08-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Cool.
brag.

WhiteSox5187
Honestly, this team just cannot beat the Twins. In the '50s and the '60s it was the Yankees. In the '70s the A's and then the Royals, now it's the Twins.

I don't know what the **** to do. This the most stinging loss ever.

Brian26

When exactly were the Sox supposed to drill Young? When he's leading off the 10th with a minuscule one-run lead? You save that crap for his 2nd at-bat tomorrow. Tonight, you try to win the game.

GoGoCrede
Season ender. Thanks for not signing Thome when we had the chance, guys. Really appreciate that.

I'm probably not going to convince anyone of anything, but I just don't think this is true. Still 2 games left. We've been resilient in the past. I know I sound like a damn broken record, but it's either optimism or feeling depressed right now.

guillensdisciple
08-17-2010, 10:36 PM
You know what, no, I take it back.

I am not going to go crazy and blame or curse anyone out. Screw it, it's not worth it.

I am defeated by this baseball team. I just can't invest this much into this team, not when it's the same story replayed.

I love you Sox, but that's it, no more optimism, no more pessimism- I am just watching you and won't go either way unless we're out of it or are in the playoffs.

Not worth it, not worth screaming my lungs out and wanting to punch someone in the face- not worth it feeling like this.

veeter
08-17-2010, 10:36 PM
The Twins own us.

Face it, they are a much better team than we are.

Their lineup is sick and that's without morneau.

If Morneau wouldn't have been injured, we would have been in the 2nd place battle with the Tigers along time ago.

Twins are running away with this division.

This season is ovah.Why don't you buy one of their sick jerseys and root them on to their traditional first round playoff loss.

thomas35forever
08-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Not even close. I can think of a few losses to the Twins that stung more.

34rancher
And you aren't second guessing. Quite a few people in the game thread asked the same question.

I know, I was one of them too. What are we doing stretching out him for 3 innings. YOu could hear Stone's voice and tone saying it also. I don't get it. Ugh.....If only i had any faith we would hit Young 2-3 times tomorrow. If Linebrink can't pitch in the 10th, throw him for one reason then...

kevingrt
Honestly, this team just cannot beat the Twins. In the '50s and the '60s it was the Yankees. In the '70s the A's and then the Royals, now it's the Twins.

We did take 163 from them but this year I agree.

Rough stuff. Really ruins what was a nice peaceful Tuesday night.

october23sp
Well I'll be there tomorrow. Embarrassing as it may be. I'll take my post in the LF bleachers, I wish I was closer to the bullpen. But I guess I can yell at the Sox players what they have done to us fans over the past week and a half.

spiffie
08-17-2010, 10:38 PM
Nope. Kotsay and Teahan will more than make up for Thome's bat, and be able to play defense too....
The Sox have gotten far more out of the flexibility and grit Teahen has brought than Thome lumbering around and striking out and clogging the bases would have brought. A 966 OPS is empty when it can't go from 1st to 3rd and forces the manager to have no flexibility in putting the best lineup possible out there every night.

ChiSoxGirl
This is a game we had to have and didn't get; no way we're beating Liriano or Pavano in the rest of this series. The thing that's so damn frustrating is the Sox fought back in this one, managed to get to Capps in the 9th and Rauch in the 10th, and STILL couldn't win. As usual, the season goes to Minnesota to die... it's just a little earlier than usual this year. Who the hell needs Jim Thome? Certainly not the Sox.

I'm not sure I've ever heard Hawk as silent as he was on that last at-bat of the game.

pczarapa
I was pleasantly surprised to see the Sox scratch their way back into the game and then take the lead, between Putz and Jenks - now Thornton. That really hurt, let's take 2 of 3 and try to salvage.

WhiteSox5187
Another instance where an opposing player cheap shots our catcher and there is no response.

It's hard to respond when you're trying to win a game. The only chance we had was for Rios to try and take out Hardy which is hard to do. When the Pirates were owned by the Reds for years Doc Ellis at one point just started hitting Red hitters until he was pulled, ironically the Pirates started playing much better against the Reds then. I am so mad I don't care if we get dominated, I just want them to go down.

This is the most heartbreaking way to lose the god damn division.

soxinem1

Kind of tough to do when you are trailing against a team that has given you fits all year, on the road to boot.

This is one you file away for the right moment.

Hopefully it will be Thursday with us in line to win the series with a 12-0 lead in the ninth........... And down he goes.

However, I'm still waiting for the payback on Vicente Padilla from three years ago....

I'm not sure I've ever heard Hawk as silent as he was on that last at-bat of the game.

I sat there speechless as well. What can be said? The ball left so fast there was no time to say anything.

kevingrt
Not even close. I can think of a few losses to the Twins that stung more.

Back in 2008 that sweep in the Dome was ridiculous. Just trying to make myself feel better.

whitesoxfan
I'm probably not going to convince anyone of anything, but I just don't think this is true. Still 2 games left. We've been resilient in the past. I know I sound like a damn broken record, but it's either optimism or feeling depressed right now.

We rolled over and died to them in 04.

We rolled over and died to them and Detroit in 06.

We rolled over and died to them last year.

We're definitely doing it again this year. I have no idea how in the hell we did it in 2008 but that was a major accomplishment, it seems like. How in the **** are we going to win one game in that damn city after a loss like tonight? I'm not seeing it. I hope that I'm wrong in the worst way possible, but this thing is over.

happydude
Same old same old..Our starting pitcher has one bad inning...we play catch up only to have our relief pitching collapse...I could see the end result coming a mile away....

Absolutely. This loss wasn't particularly surprising or spirit sapping, in my view. This is what has been happening of late. We still have to play this thing out to the end; this isn't the time to give up. The Sox didn't...

theamb
08-17-2010, 10:39 PM
By the way some are talking, you'd think this was played in the Metrodome

GoGoCrede

I wouldn't know, I turned it off right when the ball hit Thome's bat. That was a no doubter.

WhiteSox1989
That sucked.

If the Sox don't make it to the play offs, the Twins will, and they'll lose. As usual. So, whatever.

doublem23
08-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Sometimes, it's just not your year.

The Sox are losing this division in the cruelest way possible, a series of one-run losses and late blown leads over the past two weeks.

Yep. Hey, I appreciate the Sox made a nice run at it, got back into the race, and stayed alive so deep into August, but it's fading fast. It's becoming pretty apparent that they don't have what it takes to sprint through the last 40 games.

Baseball is, and always has been, a cruel sport. Come on out and say your good-byes to Paul, AJ, Bobby, and Freddy. 4 World Series heroes in their swan songs.

A few years from now we'll remember the 2010 season with warm memories, that win streak was amazing. But sometimes it's just not meant to be.

hi im skot
5GYI6XJH9Ss

whitesoxfan
Back in 2008 that sweep in the Dome was ridiculous. Just trying to make myself feel better.

The last game of that series was the worst regular season loss ever, IMO. Considering how they lost that game and the time of the season when they lost that game, it's hard to top that.

This one doesn't even really sting me all that much. It's sad that I expect us to blow leads to them but until proven otherwise, I'll just keep assuming we're going to lose up there.

RockJock07
Surely not a season-ending loss, but man, has it been a tough few weeks.

That was one that you feel like had to be won in this series.

We were discussing in the gamethread whether the Young hit on AJ was a good thing as a catalyst for the Sox. I said I thought yes, whether or not it happened today. Then it did happen today. Then it all got taken away, anyway.

Aw, **** it all. I'm watching the next two games peeking through my hands which will be covering my eyes.

Yeah, i was mad when the Sox went down 4-0 but to come back and take the lead only to lose on a Thome bomb is as bad a loss as i can remember.

This season isn't over by any means, but the sox need to take the next 2 and cannot allow themselves to be swept.

Bullpens are very fluid as we all know, we just have to hope they get back in a grove before it's too late.

I'm hurting tonight...

34rancher
When exactly were the Sox supposed to drill Young? When he's leading off the 10th with a minuscule one-run lead? You save that crap for his 2nd at-bat tomorrow. Tonight, you try to win the game.

Oh, I 100% agree with you, but we will throw behind him or at his feet. We will then just say oh well we tried. We NEVER have any cojones in these situations. As far as I am concerned, we have it so far in our head we cannot beat them, screw it.... I say hit them in a row until every one of our players has been ejected and we have to forfeit.... Grow a pair and drill them...

WhiteSox5187
We did take 163 from them but this year I agree.

Rough stuff. Really ruins what was a nice peaceful Tuesday night.

One game doesn't mean we weren't dominated that year. They are in our heads and we can't beat them. I honestly don't think we will ever beat them when it matters with this core. Even in '05 we struggled against them.

BadBobbyJenks
A coin toss is the only thing we've ever beaten the Twins in.

GoGoCrede

That was definitely worse than this because we'd been in first all year long. And because of the way the Twins celebrated on the field.

theamb
08-17-2010, 10:41 PM
I have no idea how in the hell we did it in 2008.

We needed the Twins to choke at home against the Royals to even give us a shot.

VMSNS
Well...the Jim Thome situation has finally come full circle. He crushed us on what was, in all likelihood, the most important game of this season. Whether Ozzie/Kenny were right or wrong about choosing not to resign him, one thing is clear: We now know that it cost us dearly during the most important series of the season, and Big Jim made us pay.

As soon as Young got on base during the 10th, I had a sinking feeling in my stomach. I had a feeling Thome was just going to drop a bomb on us. I had gotten out of my chair and left the room before I even saw the ball leave the park. Without a doubt, the most heartbreaking and painful loss of the season. The Sox are in complete collapse right now, and I fear that if we lose this series to the Twins, we're done for.

And, can someone please explain what happened with AJ and Young? I missed a few innings there.

UofCSoxFan
Not a whole lot to say.

Danks simply wasn't good enough. Yes he battled and kept us in the game but you just can't lay that egg in the first inning.

PK failing with the bases loaded hurt. Also only getting 1 in the top of the 10th hurt. I don't get the constant aversion to pinch hitting for Juan Pierre with runners on base late in games. The guy does not drive in runs and even when he hits a ball hard, the OF plays so shallow with 2 outs and runners on that it always hangs up for a line drive. I much rather see Teahen there.

Thornton can't let Thome beat us. Asking him to come in in that third inning was asking a lot but you know what at this point in the year guys have to step up.

Sox need to take the next two or the season's all but done. Simple as that.

manders_01
That was tough. Alexei is the man tonight getting us the tie and lead. I like Thornton in there and it's a shame he couldn't close it out. I like that Danks came back out strong. I like plenty of the things our offense did this evening. It was a good game. Just turn out as I'd have liked.

And I know the big theory of all the visitors is that they're Twins fans. I don't mind that you're here to laugh at us. We laugh at you too and will continue to do so. But you're screwing up WSI and that I don't like. Laugh at us tomorrow when I'm at work. :mad:

Disagree. Yes, he got on base himself but I'd rather that than him being put on because we drilled him. I'm sure he will get his soon.

thomas35forever
08-17-2010, 10:42 PM
For sure. Back then, I was just heartbroken. Tonight, I'm just shaking my head because it would be foolish of me to expect good things in Minnesota.

The sweep in the Dome in '03 was heartbreaking too.

KRS1
The good news is that I managed to pry the hockey puck out of my drywall.

Woofer

I think there will be a response. You can't plunk a guy in a tight game like tonights. You don't put the tying run on over vengeance. I think that the Sox have learned that the Twins are not their friends. They are a bunch of cheap shot scumbags, and they will get what they deserve.

And oh yeah, **** Jim Thome. You were supposed to be hurt and done for the season by now. He was on the disabled list half the time he was with the Sox, at least it seems. I loved you, but isn't it time that old back injury pops back up?

Jurr
Complete and total ownership. The Twins are to the Sox what the Steelers are to the Browns -just consistently better. Ah, but we did get that WS taken care of! The Twins won't for a long time. On to football, folks!

bacon
Yes and yes. I did not want Putz out there. I preferred the Thornton/Thome match-up, especially with Jenks out. We just got flat out beat. I hope people are seeing now why it's not that simple to move relievers out of their familiar roles this late into the season.

This. Without are bullpen performing we are a average team at best. Hopefully things change soon or we can put a fork in this season. How many leads have we blown in the 9th since the all-star break?

GoGoCrede
08-17-2010, 10:43 PM
And I know the big theory of all the visitors is that they're Twins fans. I don't mind that you're here to laugh at us. We laugh at you too and will continue to do so. But you're screwing up WSI and that I don't like. Laugh at us tomorrow when I'm at work. :mad:

For real. I admit I laughed a whole lot after 163, but you guys are making WSI slow as molasses right now.

whitesoxfan
We needed the Twins to choke at home against the Royals to even give us a shot.

While we were choking against Cleveland at home too.

I've been firmly in Ozzie's corner, but maybe his lack of success in August and September does have some credence to it.

JB98
We rolled over and died to them in 04.

We rolled over and died to them and Detroit in 06.

We rolled over and died to them last year.

We're definitely doing it again this year. I have no idea how in the hell we did it in 2008 but that was a major accomplishment, it seems like. How in the **** are we going to win one game in that damn city after a loss like tonight? I'm not seeing it. I hope that I'm wrong in the worst way possible, but this thing is over.

But the Sox didn't roll over and die tonight. They battled back from four runs down. They battled back in the ninth inning. They took the lead in extra innings.

They gave their all and still lost. It would have been easier for all of us to take if they had rolled over and lost 10-0.

There are no moral victories in sports. A loss is a loss no matter what, but I don't think it's fair to say the Sox rolled over and died tonight.

WhiteSox5187
Yep. Hey, I appreciate the Sox made a nice run at it, got back into the race, and stayed alive so deep into August, but it's fading fast. It's becoming pretty apparent that they don't have what it takes to sprint through the last 40 games.

Baseball is, and always has been, a cruel sport. Come on out and say your good-byes to Paul, AJ, Bobby, and Freddy. 4 World Series heroes in their swan songs.

A few years from now we'll remember the 2010 season with warm memories, that win streak was amazing. But sometimes it's just not meant to be.

I wasn't alive back then, but it kind of feels like 1977. Two amazing months but then we ran out of gas as the Royals went on an incredible tear. Just replace the Royals with the Twins.

Someone said it earlier and honestly, I'm in favor of it (which is more emotion than anything else) just start hitting guys until you're all tossed.

soxinem1
The Sox have gotten far more out of the flexibility and grit Teahen has brought than Thome lumbering around and striking out and clogging the bases would have brought. A 966 OPS is empty when it can't go from 1st to 3rd and forces the manager to have no flexibility in putting the best lineup possible out there every night.

Ozzie, please stop defending your boneheaded moves in the postgame thread, please!!

I kind of miss Thome lumbering around the bases after game-winning HR's, to be honest.

I also miss production from the DH spot.

However, I did not miss Teahen gritting his teeth after all those strike outs.

SpiderJames
What really brings my piss to a boil is how theyre gonna make it to the playoffs, play the Rays, and get swept. 5 division titles in 8 years, win only 6 games, and 1 playoff series. Although its respectable how durable and talented this organization has been the past decade. It can not even compare to the failure they have had in the playoffs. In the past 8 years, the 3 other teams who made the playoffs in the AL Central, have won one WS championship, and 2 pennants. Its an egg on our faces, they have a miraculous season full of clutch moments and great played games, then go to the playoffs and get their asses handed to them. And in the end of the day, they can still say "well at least we beat you," and there is nothing you can come back with.

Dick Allen
That's all, folks.

I also say **** Thome. And anyone who wants to take issue with me over that can kiss my ass.

soltrain21
A coin toss is the only thing we've ever beaten the Twins in.

Or, you know, the actual game after the coin toss.

october23sp
08-17-2010, 10:44 PM
that's all, folks.

I also say **** thome. And anyone who wants to take issue with me over that can kiss my ass.

+1.

manders_01
08-17-2010, 10:44 PM

You don't have to convince me cause I completely agree. We did not get our asses beat tonight. If that was the case, I could maybe see being all freaked out about our season. But we were in this all night and it was a good game. It's such a shame that so many self-proclaimed Sox fans are giving up on their team.

hi im skot
08-17-2010, 10:45 PM
That's all, folks.

I also say **** Thome. And anyone who wants to take issue with me over that can kiss my ass.

I really don't understand this sentiment.

Patrick134
The twins will not win this division. But I don't think the Sox will win a playoff series either.

ndgt10
Some of you are out of your flipping mind if you think we take the next 2 games facing Liriano and Pavano after a defeat like this.

It would be a miracle if we win 1.

WhiteSox5187
For real. I admit I laughed a whole lot after 163, but you guys are making WSI slow as molasses right now.

Well, God knows they won't be laughing a lot in October when they go three and out again. But then again by then the Vikings will have started and no one will give a **** about the Twins.

RadioheadRocks
A few years from now we'll remember the 2010 season with warm memories

Well up until that debacle in Baltimore anyway

GoGoCrede
What really brings my piss to a boil is how theyre gonna make it to the playoffs, play the Rays, and get swept. 5 division titles in 8 years, win only 6 games, and 1 playoff series. Although its respectable how durable and talented this organization has been the past decade. It can not even compare to the failure they have had in the playoffs. In the past 8 years, the 3 other teams who made the playoffs in the AL Central, have won one WS championship, and 2 pennants. Its an egg on our faces, they have a miraculous season full of clutch moments and great played games, then go to the playoffs and get their asses handed to them. And in the end of the day, they can still say "well at least we beat you," and there is nothing you can come back with.

Good post, I agree. It's maddening (and at the same time hilarious) to see them go three and out constantly. I think even Detroit could do better. At least we won a damn game in the ALDS.

sox1970
That's all, folks.

I hated Thome when he was on the Indians. That guy is back. **** him.

UofCSoxFan
With all these guests on here...I'm just impressed they finally got the Internet in Minnesota.

doublem23
08-17-2010, 10:46 PM

It's all right, let them do their dance, the best site they can come up with on their own either says, TWINS WON or TWINS LOST.

No wonder they congregate here.

GoGoCrede
Some of you are out of your flipping mind if you think we take the next 2 games facing Liriano and Pavano after a defeat like this.

It would be a miracle if we win 1.

You're right, let's not bother to play them.

whitesoxfan
But the Sox didn't roll over and die tonight. They battled back from four runs down. They battled back in the ninth inning. They took the lead in extra innings.

They gave their all and still lost. It would have been easier for all of us to take if they had rolled over and lost 10-0.

There are no moral victories in sports. A loss is a loss no matter what, but I don't think it's fair to say the Sox rolled over and died tonight.

I wasn't really talking about tonight, but what's going to happen throughout the rest of this series now.

MarkZ35
At least we get to see Delmon Young get beamed in the head tomorrow. Hopefully they can end his season like he tried to end AJ's

hi im skot
Well, God knows they won't be laughing a lot in October when they go three and out again. But then again by then the Vikings will have started and no one will give a **** about the Twins.

B-b-but LOOK AT ALL THE SOLD-OUT GAMES AT TARGET FIELD!

thomas35forever
I disagree. I like to laugh at the fact that they haven't won a playoff game in years. Just tell them at least we've won a world championship in the last five years.

ChiSoxGirl
I think there will be a response. You can't plunk a guy in a tight game like tonights. You don't put the tying run on over vengeance. I think that the Sox have learned that the Twins are not their friends. They are a bunch of cheap shot scumbags, and they will get what they deserve.

And oh yeah, **** Jim Thome. You were supposed to be hurt and done for the season by now. He was on the disabled list half the time he was with the Sox, at least it seems. I loved you, but isn't it time that old back injury pops back up?

This. But will they get what they deserve? I'm not so sure about that. Delmon Young is a tool and needs to have his ass kicked six ways to Sunday... but he won't. As usual, the Sox will :cower: to the Twins and won't even think about retaliating. You saw the games last week... Twins pitching hit Sox players FIVE TIMES. How many times did the Sox drill the Twins? ZERO. I'll be downright stunned if Sox pitching hits someone in a Twins uniform between now and Thursday.

LoveYourSuit
08-17-2010, 10:47 PM
So I guess the Dump Dome was not the issue after all.

Will say it again, Twins minus Thome and Sox plus Thome 5-6 games lead for us right now.

Thome will be the division winning factor of the 2010 AL Central Crown. Way to go Ozzie.:angry:

AlexRios51
I said this numerous times, I for one am not a fan of Matt Thornton, how in the hell do you throw nothing but fastballs to JIM ****ING THOME. Please don't give me that **** about he's had success with it thus far why not, that only applies to when he's pitching to someone like Delmon Young or a rookie not a veteran like Thome who lives on fastballs. Yes this season is far from over but I really do not like what Iv'e seen since the all star break.

WhiteSox5187
The twins will not win this division. But I don't think the Sox will win a playoff series either.

That means they are either going to have an epic collapse that borders on the '69 Cubs or the Tigers are going to go undefeated here on out.

The Sox look like they have just run out of steam.

happydude
08-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Not a whole lot to say.

Danks simply wasn't good enough. Yes he battled and kept us in the game but you just can't lay that egg in the first inning.

PK failing with the bases loaded hurt. Also only getting 1 in the top of the 10th hurt. I don't get the constant aversion to pinch hitting for Juan Pierre with runners on base late in games. The guy does not drive in runs and even when he hits a ball hard, the OF plays so shallow with 2 outs and runners on that it always hangs up for a line drive. I much rather see Teahen there.

Thornton can't let Thome beat us. Asking him to come in in that third inning was asking a lot but you know what at this point in the year guys have to step up.

Sox need to take the next two or the season's all but done. Simple as that.

Agreed. To expound further, even if he hits a solid single only the swiftest of our runners could score from second based on the depth of the outfield. He doesn't even seem to approach that situation well; he takes the most hittable pitches early in the count for strikes, fouls off a couple, and then, invariably, lines out.

UofCSoxFan

Meh the Vikings are an 8 win team this year. TJax or Old Man Farve and his 1 ankle aren't going to squeak out as many wins this year. Plus the Vikings barely sold out their home playoff game last year...I know this because I get emails from the Vikings all the time to buy tickets...that's what I get for going to 1 Bears Vikings game up there 4 years ago. That fan base doesn't care at all about the Vikings and they'll soon enough be the third major sport team to skip town.

october23sp
It's all right, let them do their dance, the best site they can come up with on their own either says, TWINS WON or TWINS LOST.

No wonder they congregate here.

Yeah, where's Twins interactive?

What great fans, the message board that is linked here is dead.:smile:

thomas35forever
08-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Thome will be the division winning factor of the 2010 AL Central Crown. Way to go Ozzie.:angry:
I could not disagree more. Geez. You'd think he's the only reason the Twins are four games up now.

OmahaSoxFan
Well we have to look back and thank the Sox for going on that huge run in June and July to lead us Sox fans nearly to depression now. The simple fact is that the AL Central in general OWNS the Sox. We haven't played well against the Twins, Indians and Royals the last two seasons... and we definitely **** the bed against the Tigers the last week. When you can't win in your own division, you are not going to do ****... that's what is happening now.

Barring a huge meltdown by the Twinkies (which I don't see happening), this is a major up-hill climb that I don't think the Sox are geared for this year. If they still had Peavy and a healthy Jenks, they would still have a good shot... but right now with the bullpen falling apart by the day and a few inconsistent starts by the Sox starter, it doesn't look good at all.

Law11
at least the Bears just kill me once a week. Im heading to an early grave watching this crap night after night..

veeter

And oh yeah, **** Jim Thome. You were supposed to be hurt and done for the season by now. He was on the disabled list half the time he was with the Sox, at least it seems. I loved you, but isn't it time that old back injury pops back up?I don't know how AJ doesn't go after him right then. The guy gives you a hockey face wash and you do nothing? None of his teammates either? I'm sure Young was responding to Santos' close pitch to Hardy, but Hardy didn't get hit. Instead the Twins go on to win and just rub it in the Sox faces. As if the Sox were the cheap shots. What's tomorrow's excuse? 'Well we can't afford to lose any players because we're four back.' Being gutless gets you nowhere.

guillensdisciple

You see, I have been trying to say this for a week now, but people call me crazy. The Twins want to do anything to win, and show mental strength. WE continue trotting out there with respect of the other team, we continue loving this Minnesota franchise, and glorify them. Hey, I don't care if they're better than us, you don't respect the team that you need to beat year after year, you need to come in there look them in the face, and want to stomp the life out of them.

The White Sox refuse to do it, we want to be the good guys. **** being good, you want to win it? You win it any damn way you know how. Remember when the Twins drilled our catcher in 2003 (?) and then went on to win the division. Remember them trying that today? Well, they continue to show why they will own us, even when we have a superior ball club.

Screw being the respectable man, you NEVER let your rival walk all over you. We have to show the will to win- we need to want to suffocate them and destroy them. If you don't do it, then this will continue to happen.

Keep on loving the Twins, and this will be your end result- the Twins celebrating right in front of your face.

GoGoCrede
08-17-2010, 10:50 PM
at least the Bears just kill me once a week. Im heading to an early grave watching this crap night after night..

It's having the opposite effect on me. I plan on working out even longer tomorrow.

VMSNS
08-17-2010, 10:50 PM
I don't know how AJ doesn't go after him right then. The guy gives you a hockey face wash and you do nothing? None of his teammates either? I'm sure Young was responding to Santos' close pitch to Hardy, but Hardy didn't get hit. Instead the Twins go on to win and just rub it in the Sox faces. As if the Sox were the cheap shots. What's tomorrow's excuse? 'Well we can't afford to lose any players because we're four back.' Being gutless gets you nowhere.

What happened? Did AJ and Young get in a scuffle at the plate or something?

WhiteSox5187
08-17-2010, 10:51 PM
I am close to tears. Honestly, I take these losses way too seriously. There might come a time when I stop watching baseball.

spiffie
So I guess the Dump Dome was not the issue after all.

Will say it again, Twins minus Thome and Sox plus Thome 5-6 games lead for us right now.

Jim Thome is a fat slow lump who got lucky to run into a fastball tonight. He's a softball player given an MLB job. The Sox made a decision to be faster and more versatile this year, and that's why they have been in the race all year.

RockJock07
Well up until that debacle in Baltimore anyway

While this loss is brutal if the sox take care of biz in baltimore and vs Detroit over the weekend at least they are maybe 1 or 2 out rather then 4.

LoveYourSuit
08-17-2010, 10:52 PM
That's all, folks.

There is a reason why people look at our fanbase as rude and trashy.

Thanks for coming out.

GoGoCrede
I am close to tears. Honestly, I take these losses way too seriously. There might come a time when I stop watching baseball.

Don't bother, dude. Two more games, who knows what'll happen? All ya can do it look to tomorrow's game.

WhiteSox5187
It's having the opposite effect on me. I plan on working out even longer tomorrow.

As soon as I have lost the urge to kill someone, I'm going to work out tonight. Other wise I will toss and turn all god damn night. I might do that anyways. At least I'll feel thin...ish.

OmahaSoxFan

Young went right after AJ on a not-so-close play at the plate. Instead of going towards the plate, that piece of **** went right at AJ with his arms up, looking to start something.

RadioheadRocks
While this loss is brutal if the sox take care of biz in baltimore and vs Detroit over the weekend at least they are maybe 1 or 2 out rather then 4.

Precisely.

konerko 14
**** Delmon Young, **** Jim Thome, **** the twins!

theamb

You know..we can't really throw stones

Further more, count me in on not understanding the **** Jim Thome sentiment.

I guess people should stop bragging about game 163 then

russ99
Well we have to look back and thank the Sox for going on that huge run in June and July to lead us Sox fans nearly to depression now. The simple fact is that the AL Central in general OWNS the Sox. We haven't played well against the Twins, Indians and Royals the last two seasons... and we definitely **** the bed against the Tigers the last week. When you can't win in your own division, you are not going to do ****... that's what is happening now.

Barring a huge meltdown by the Twinkies (which I don't see happening), this is a major up-hill climb that I don't think the Sox are geared for this year. If we still would have had Peavy and a healthy Jenks, we would still have a shot... but right now with the bullpen falling apart by the day and a few inconsistent starts by the Sox starter, it doesn't look good at all.

At worst, we have a hell of a pitching staff next season, and Jerry/Kenny can't cheap out on offense this offseason and still expect to sell tickets.

At best, there's 40+ games left. A lot can happen. This team didn't lay down and die tonight, and I doubt they will the rest of the year. Also, we have 2 games left in the series, and 3 more with the Twins at home.

And I can handle tonight's loss as long as we beat that lucky bastard Pavano on Wednesday night.

october23sp
Just so WSI doesn't think I killed myself, I will be driving to Minnesota all day tomorrow and at the game.

GoGoCrede

Thanks for coming out.

Yeah, no other teams' fans act this way, ever. :wink:

WhiteSox5187
08-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Don't bother, dude. Two more games, who knows what'll happen? All ya can do it look to tomorrow's game.

History would suggest that they aren't going to do a whole lot with these next two games. We don't do much with games against the Twins.

BadBobbyJenks
Jim Thome is a fat slow lump who got lucky to run into a fastball tonight. He's a softball player given an MLB job. The Sox made a decision to be faster and more versatile this year, and that's why they have been in the race all year.

This made me LOL, and if it wasn't teal implied, I'm loling even harder.

Noneck
Has Thornton pitched in 3 innings this year? Has Thornton pitched in 3 innings while he has been a member of the Sox?

I know the bullpen is in disarray but trying that was really desperate.

soltrain21
I can't find it in myself to hate Jim Thome.

LoveYourSuit
08-17-2010, 10:54 PM

Did not realize Ozzie was posting here since 2004.

GoGoCrede
As soon as I have lost the urge to kill someone, I'm going to work out tonight. Other wise I will toss and turn all god damn night. I might do that anyways. At least I'll feel thin...ish.

Yeah, I was going to go to bed, but I think I'll work off some of the anger tonight. I like commiserating with fellow WSIers, though, so I'm holding off.

Young went right after AJ on a not-so-close play at the plate. Instead of going towards the plate, that piece of **** went right at AJ with his arms up, looking to start something.

He has to watch the replay. It was a whopper. Words don't do it justice.

RockJock07

Nothing much, Young went high on AJ on a play at the plate. AJ looked pissed but it didn't seem to be much of anything when young came up right before Thome hit it to canada.

The sox don't need to worry about hitting young for him doing nothing, they need to worry about winning the series and AJ needs to get his average over 245

UofCSoxFan

I have a first date tomorrow....I better go somewhere that doesn't have tv's or there likely won't be a second date.

WhiteSox5187
You know..we can't really throw stones

Further more, count me in on not understanding the **** Jim Thome sentiment.

I guess people should stop bragging about game 163 then

Of course I'll throw stones. Christ if I see my Twins fan friend at any point in the next two weeks I'll do a hell of a lot more than throw stones.

october23sp

At the moment I hate him more than anyone on this earth.

Look at WSI's newest member... This should be good.

Brian26
We'll never hear the end of it from the pro-Thome crowd now.

Is there anyone who actually isn't pro-Thome? Except Ozzie?

veeter

Thanks for coming out.No other fan base has fans that bash opposing players? C,mon.

thomas35forever
08-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I don't have the heart either. One swing does not erase four years of good memories for me.

Nelfox02
For me personally the worst thing about this game was I had no emotion

I really didnt get fired up the Danks **** the bed in the 1st.....I didnt get fired up we rallied.....TCM tying homer, PK AGAIN failing with bases loaded, taking the lead, Thome's walk off......none of it elicted anything more from me than a shrug.........that sucks

I miss even being able to get pissed off at this team, but that ability was totally washed away this weekend.

This has been a rough stretch no doubt for the fans, but does any player/coach on this team seemed that worked up about it?

I am of the opinion that yet another late sesaon collapse/watching the Twins own us ends up doing nothing on this team. Next year we will basically get the same bull****----Ozzie will be manager, Kenny GM at the helm, Walker talking about guys having good springs. Some faces will change, Jenks for sure, likely AJ and Konerko now given the way this is going. I think we will hear the song and dance about budget constraints limiting this and that, we will see mediocre FA acquistions along with the limited talent we have in our farm brought up to fill the holes and the 2011 version of this team will once again take the field with a roster that is inferior to the Twins (and possibly the Tigers depending on what they decide to do with their payroll) We will all be sitting her knashing our teeth about all the "ifs" we need to work out for us to have a shot (Will Dayan develop into a middle of the order hitter? Will Peavy recover well from his surgery? Can Mark last another year of 200 innings? Is Edwin for real? Will Carlos stay healthy, can he ever be the Quentin of 2008? What do we do with Teahen? Can Santos really be a closer???) etc etc

and then, come next August, we will basically be where we are now, down in the standings looking up at the Twins and maybe others.......because with the new park and the success they are having now, there is zero reason to not expect the Twins to field a quality roster again next season, maybe even with a nice FA pick up or two if they can convince a big name to come to Minn.....

the cycle just keeps repeating

WhiteSox5187

Well, you know, Kenny could have still signed him.

Coops4Aces
Thornton's last pitch was a 93 mph fastball. Yeah, I'm not a fan of him pitching into a 3rd inning.

GoGoCrede
08-17-2010, 10:56 PM

I hate the uniform he wears. But Jimmy is such a wonderful guy, so he makes it hard to hate him. Besides, he was part of 163, one of the best things I have ever seen in person.

TaylorStSox
That one hurt but it was a damn good game. I'll be damed if i call it with this many games left after the way the sox battled tonight. Typical post game thread, a bunch of melodramatic *******.

guillensdisciple

I'm with you brother, I did not feel tears, but I just felt extreme anger which then turned to extreme sadness. I just finished the acceptance part of the cycle. Slowly am coming back to trying to establish hope for this team.

veeter
Is there anyone who actually isn't pro-Thome? Except Ozzie?I was thrilled when the Sox didn't re-sign him. The Sox just don't know how to pitch him. Sliders low and away do the trick every time.

WhiteSox5187
I have a first date tomorrow....I better go somewhere that doesn't have tv's or there likely won't be a second date.

A girl once took me to a Sox game, it was Beckham's debut actually...that relationship didn't last.

Pablo_Honey
Yeah, I don't have the heart either. One swing does not erase four years of good memories for me.
Yeah, same here as well. In fact, I'm ****ing, and by that I mean REAL ****ING PISSED, at Ozzie and Kenny for deciding to go with a DH who can field. That horse's been beaten to death but tonight's game just made me resurrect the ****ing horse and rear naked choke that bitch.

LoveYourSuit
08-17-2010, 10:57 PM
**** Delmon Young, **** Jim Thome, **** the twins!

How about trying this for once:

**** the White Sox.

The Sox need to look in the mirror, they are the ones blowing this thing.

OmahaSoxFan

Yeah, how about Game 163??? 'Nuff said!!!

I can deal with a loss to set us back to 4 games back in a pennant race in the middle of August over Jim Thome single handily (along with Johnny Danks) carrying the Sox into the 2008 Playoffs in a season ending tie-breaker, still one of the best moments in Sox history! I cussed about the home run after it was hit, but I hold no ill will towards a guy that wanted to come back to the Sox after the year was over, but was told no by KW and Ozzie.

GoGoCrede
A girl once took me to a Sox game, it was Beckham's debut actually...that relationship didn't last.

The Sox ruin everything, don't they? lol

happydude
]I don't know how AJ doesn't go after him right then. The guy gives you a hockey face wash and you do nothing?[/B] None of his teammates either? I'm sure Young was responding to Santos' close pitch to Hardy, but Hardy didn't get hit. Instead the Twins go on to win and just rub it in the Sox faces. As if the Sox were the cheap shots. What's tomorrow's excuse? 'Well we can't afford to lose any players because we're four back.' Being gutless gets you nowhere.

AJ has been controversial in his career but I've never regarded him as "tough" in the sense you speak of; I don't know how anybody could. He let Michael Barrett punch him in the face, from behind and for nothing, and didn't do **** (I believe it was Podsednik that came to his rescue...or BA). He said later that he didn't want to get kicked out or something like that but I took it as bs. When someone punches you like that your instincts take over; getting kicked out of a game would be the farthest thing from your mind.

thomas35forever

I really didnt get fired up the Danks **** the bed in the 1st.....I didnt get fired up we rallied.....TCM tying homer, PK AGAIN failing with bases loaded, taking the lead, Thome's walk off......none of it elicted anything more from me than a shrug.........that sucks

I miss even being able to get pissed off at this team, but that ability was totally washed away this weekend.

This has been a rough stretch no doubt for the fans, but does any player/coach on this team seemed that worked up about it?

I am of the opinion that yet another late sesaon collapse/watching the Twins own us ends up doing nothing on this team. Next year we will basically get the same bull****----Ozzie will be manager, Kenny GM at the helm, Walker talking about guys having good springs. Some faces will change, Jenks for sure, likely AJ and Konerko now given the way this is going. I think we will hear the song and dance about budget constraints limiting this and that, we will see mediocre FA acquistions along with the limited talent we have in our farm brought up to fill the holes and the 2011 version of this team will once again take the field with a roster that is inferior to the Twins (and possibly the Tigers depending on what they decide to do with their payroll) We will all be sitting her knashing our teeth about all the "ifs" we need to work out for us to have a shot (Will Dayan develop into a middle of the order hitter? Will Peavy recover well from his surgery? Can Mark last another year of 200 innings? Is Edwin for real? Will Carlos stay healthy, can he ever be the Quentin of 2008? What do we do with Teahen? Can Santos really be a closer???) etc etc

and then, come next August, we will basically be where we are now, down in the standings looking up at the Twins and maybe others.......because with the new park and the success they are having now, there is zero reason to not expect the Twins to field a quality roster again next season, maybe even with a nice FA pick up or two if they can convince a big name to come to Minn.....

All right. Now that I know how the 2011 season will turn out, I can focus my attention on other things.

GoGoCrede
08-17-2010, 10:58 PM
All right. Now that I know how the 2011 season will turn out, I can focus my attention on other things.

I don't think they should bother playing the rest of the games. I hear the golf course is nice this time of year. :D:

WhiteSox1989
All right, that was a really bad loss. It sucks, and whatever, but it's just ONE loss. Sucked the way it had to happen.

But the Sox can still win this thing. Crazier things have happened.

Woofer
You see, I have been trying to say this for a week now, but people call me crazy. The Twins want to do anything to win, and show mental strength. WE continue trotting out there with respect of the other team, we continue loving this Minnesota franchise, and glorify them. Hey, I don't care if they're better than us, you don't respect the team that you need to beat year after year, you need to come in there look them in the face, and want to stomp the life out of them.

The White Sox refuse to do it, we want to be the good guys. **** being good, you want to win it? You win it any damn way you know how. Remember when the Twins drilled our catcher in 2003 (?) and then went on to win the division. Remember them trying that today? Well, they continue to show why they will own us, even when we have a superior ball club.

Screw being the respectable man, you NEVER let your rival walk all over you. We have to show the will to win- we need to want to suffocate them and destroy them. If you don't do it, then this will continue to happen.

Keep on loving the Twins, and this will be your end result- the Twins celebrating right in front of your face.

I'm not hoping for anyone to get hurt, but I'm hoping that the Sox learned a lesson here tonight, before the season gets anymore out of hand. I want them to realize the Twins have said, "It's on." And I want the Sox to play the Twins like it is a war to the death, like tonights game only with a happy ending.

DrCrawdad
I was only able to hear the final two plays. Changed that win to a loss quite quickly.

http://www.owensworld.com/funnyimages/files/kick_big.jpg
Yeah, it's gonna hurt.

UofCSoxFan
Has Thornton pitched in 3 innings this year? Has Thornton pitched in 3 innings while he has been a member of the Sox?

I know the bullpen is in disarray but trying that was really desperate.

It's asking a ton of Thornton and that's why I'm not pissed at him. I still am not sure what our other options are. I'd maybe like to see Sale since he's been nails but if he fails there you might wreck the young kids confidence. Putz hasbeen garbage. Jenks is still out apparently. Santos was spent, and not terribly effectively when in. Pena is only good when he is in long relief and we are down 5 runs.

We really need more than one run in the top of the 10th. It's a completey different bottom half of the inning if Beckham or Pierre come through.

GoGoCrede
08-17-2010, 10:59 PM
All right, that was a really bad loss. It sucks, and whatever, but it's just ONE loss. Sucked the way it had to happen.

But the Sox can still win this thing. Crazier things have happened.

Yeah, I'm MUCH calmer now than I was 15 minutes ago. You're definitely right. I'll be watching, Sox.

AlexRios51
Me and you both, I am seriously close to not watching baseball anymore and just keeping up with it, but not watch it night after night. After losses like these I lock myself in my room and don't show my face for hours, not wanting to talk to anyone, coming close to crying. Yes, I need help. I don't know how I came to this point of being a super fanatic. When they win a game I feel as if I won the lottery, when they lose it feels like a shot in the heart and I'm talking about regular season games not postseason. I actually took close 4-5 days off of white sox baseball, and just happened to see the last two inning of the game, only to be heart broken again. I really don't no how much more I can take, torturing myself watching these games. I hope for my sanity, that we can do something before the twins run away with the division.

RadioheadRocks
All right, that was a really bad loss. It sucks, and whatever, but it's just ONE loss.

The problem is we've been saying that A LOT over the past two weeks.
:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

WhiteSox5187
The Sox ruin everything, don't they? lol

Eh, she played a big role in ruining that relationship. Now let us never speak of her again.

The Sox could have helped me last summer by winning. They could help me this year too by winning.

manders_01

Or if she's a Sox fan it will be one hell of a bonding experience, win or lose! :D:

LoveYourSuit
No other fan base has fans that bash opposing players? C,mon.

One that wore your team colors, and was as classy as him? One who hasn't said a bad thing since leaving? One who is going to the HOF?

Everyone bashing this guy and saying "I hate Jim Thome, **** Jim Thome" is a complete child. Grow the **** up.

ChicagoG19
08-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Thornton's last pitch was a 93 mph fastball. Yeah, I'm not a fan of him pitching into a 3rd inning.

It doesn't matter who was in that inning. Thome's ball was going out no matter what. Murphy's law was in full effect.

DrCrawdad
I'm not hoping for anyone to get hurt, but I'm hoping that the Sox learned a lesson here tonight, before the season gets anymore out of hand. I want them to realize the Twins have said, "It's on." And I want the Sox to play the Twins like it is a war to the death, like tonights game only with a happy ending.

A win tonight and tomorrow and the Twits have to start feeling the heat, sweating perhaps. Now that pressure is off completely. The Sox winning the next two seems unlikely but even if the Sox were able to pull that off they only loss one game to the Sox.

OmahaSoxFan
This loss hurts, but you know what, I am still excited to see the Sox play this weekend in Kansas City (less than 3 hours down the road)! Two weeks ago when I bought tickets to the game for my wife and I, I was sure I was going to be watching the "first-place White Sox" playing the lowly Royals. But it's okay, I am still stoked about catching the Sox in person this weekend, and if the Sox are further out of the race, I will be able to just sit back and enjoy the game instead of getting all worked up about an "important game."

WhiteSox1989
08-17-2010, 11:01 PM
The problem is we've been saying that A LOT over the past two weeks.
:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Yeah. But people seem to be freaking out more than usual after this one.

WhiteSox5187
Me and you both, I am seriously close to not watching baseball anymore and just keeping up with it, but not watch it night after night. After losses like these I lock myself in my room and don't show my face for hours, not wanting to talk to anyone, coming close to crying. Yes, I need help. I don't know how I came to this point of being a super fanatic. When they win a game I feel as if I won the lottery, when they lose it feels like a shot in the heart and I'm talking about regular season games not postseason. I actually took close 4-5 days off of white sox baseball, and just happened to see the last two inning of the game, only to be heart broken again. I really don't no how much more I can take, torturing myself watching these games. I hope for my sanity, that we can do something before the twins run away with the division.

I'm glad to see I am not the only person who takes Sox games personally. Tonight, I mentioned it earlier, there is a hole in my coffee table after kicking it when those ****ing bastards won.

GoGoCrede
Let's go, Mr. Floyd. You're up.

Pablo_Honey
We really need more than one run in the top of the 10th. It's a completey different bottom half of the inning if Beckham or Pierre come through.
Yeah, the pen as a whole is just going through a really rough stretches. They have had to work with one too many one-run games and you can't win too many games with just one run lead. It's like this offense climaxes after scoring a lead and then shuts down for the rest of the game. That's not good enough.

Foulke You
08-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Just got back from the bar. I'm sick to my stomach and don't have a lot of words. This one hurts real bad. Not sure if I have the stomach to watch tomorrow's game. :whiner:

LoveYourSuit
This loss hurts, but you know what, I am still excited to see the Sox play this weekend in Kansas City (less than 3 hours down the road)! Two weeks ago when I bought tickets to the game for my wife and I, I was sure I was going to be watching the "first-place White Sox" playing the lowly Royals. But it's okay, I am still stoked about catching the Sox in person this weekend, and if the Sox are further out of the race, I will be able to just sit back and enjoy the game instead of getting all worked up about an "important game."

:?:

DickAllen72
Nothing much, Young went high on AJ on a play at the plate.
Young went with both hands to AJ's face. And it wasn't even a close play and AJ was not blocking the plate.

soxlady8
Sad, Very Sad -

I was so thrilled when Alexei came through , but then I kept thinking to myself that it is not over and Thome is up. Wow Wow Wow - He sure is the hero tonight in Twinkieville.

I was having a really good day , up until NOW !!

WhiteSox1989
Young went with both hands to AJ's face. And it wasn't even a close play and AJ was not blocking the plate.
That was so ****ty.

Pablo_Honey
08-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Yeah. But people seem to be freaking out more than usual after this one.
Reason 1: We've been playing like **** and lost the lead to the Twins. This one seems like another nail in the coffin.
Reason 2: Thome walk-off homerun. That hurts. It really really does.

kittle42

Pretty much exactly how I feel.

TDog
UN- ****ing believable.

No we didn't need Thome..... **** Ozzie.

Tonight the White Sox didn't need Thome. Kotsay, the White Sox DH, got a two-run homer to bring the Sox within one, doubled and scored the tying run, singled with no one on base in extra innings and scored the go-ahead run. Thome had a great night, a home run and two singles, but the White Sox didn't need him because he would have been replacing a designated hitter who got a home run, a double and a single.

Really the White Sox haven't been lacking offense. Their last three losses were blown late-inning bullpen leads. This wasn't a blown save for Thornton because he was going for the win.

People at WSI were screaming for someone to replace Jenks because Jenks blew a couple of leads. Without Jenks, the White Sox have lost three straight games in which they were winning with their opponent batting in the ninth, eighth and 10th, respectively.

Frankly, I was surprised to see Thornton in the game in the 10th. I don't know whether it indicated that Guillen and the coaching staff have no confidence in Putz to close or if they believed the Twins, Thome in particular, wouldn't be able to hit Thornton. With a on-run lead, it was either leave in Thornton or bring in Putz. This bullpen is diminished without Jenks in the mix.

I had a great feeling about this game. Even when the Sox were down four, I believed they would come back. I was disappointed in Ramirez that he didn't move Pierzynski to third with the score tied, but Ramirez made up for it. The Sox didn't come into this game accepting defeat. They fought back from two deficits, even tying the game against the Twins closer.

And it was a great game, sadly not as great as it should have been. The White Sox should be tied with the Twins because the White Sox should have won the last three games, the third against the Twins.

Thome may have won this game for the Twins, but he wouldn't have helped win the game if he were on the Sox. To win this game, the Sox needed their closing relief to do its job.

Coops4Aces
It doesn't matter who was in that inning. Thome's ball was going out no matter what. Murphy's law was in full effect.

grrrr you and that Murphy's Law. That thing is all BS. See October 26, 2005.

LoveYourSuit
Let's go, Mr. Floyd. You're up.

All we are going to ask from our starters is for them to go 9 every outing. That's all.

kittle42
08-17-2010, 11:04 PM
How about trying this for once:

**** the White Sox.

The Sox need to look in the mirror, they are the ones blowing this thing.

Amen to this, brother.

OmahaSoxFan

Yeah I know that might not make sense, but the last two weeks have been so frustrating that its making me a little numb to it all (like a lot of other posters have mentioned). Either way I am stoked to get to see the Sox, no matter if in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th place...

WhiteSox5187

As far as I'm concerned, Young shouldn't be the only to pay. If someone goes after one of our guys, we go after one of their best. Young and Mauer should go down.

theamb
It's asking a ton of Thornton and that's why I'm not pissed at him. I still am not sure what our other options are. I'd maybe like to see Sale since he's been nails but if he fails there you might wreck the young kids confidence. Putz hasbeen garbage. Jenks is still out apparently. Santos was spent, and not terribly effectively when in. Pena is only good when he is in long relief and we are down 5 runs.

We really needed an insurance run in the top of the 9th

But alas..Konerko...GIDP...like clockwork

spiffie
One that wore your team colors, and was as classy as him? One who hasn't said a bad thing since leaving? One who is going to the HOF?

Everyone bashing this guy and saying "I hate Jim Thome, **** Jim Thome" is a complete child. Grow the **** up.
Thome is a swell guy, but the people second guessing Ozzie and Kenny, the guys who brought us a World Series and who have forgotten more about baseball than this entire board combined knows about the game, are just spouting nonsense. He was everything wrong with the composition of the team the last few years. Now we have a lot of guys who can play multiple positions and who can bring the fundamentals and defense out on the field.

Dibbs
Jim Thome's OPS is almost 1.000 :o:. He doesn't qualify, but that would be 3rd in the league! Hopefully Ozzie never becomes our GM, although he might as well considering Kenny can't pull the trigger on his own.

On a side note, Delmon Young is a beast. I believe Hawk mentioned him in tonight's broadcast about his batting practice home runs. I seen him take BP in Toronto last month, and I have NEVER witnessed anyone hit the ball as far or as hard before. Not even when Barry Bonds came to the cell and was putting them on the concourse. Young put multiple shots in the 4th deck where Canseco's legendary homer landed. He is absolutely amazing.

Oh, and I think the Sox are cooked this year too.

GoGoCrede
All we are going to ask from our starters is for them to go 9 every outing. That's all.

I can picture it. I hope this isn't the annual bullpen implosion.

AlexRios51
I'm glad to see I am not the only person who takes Sox games personally. Tonight, I mentioned it earlier, there is a hole in my coffee table after kicking it when those ****ing bastards won.
Me and your are probably the only two people on here who takes sox games not even to heart beyond it. The sad thing is my family and friends all know when the Sox lose just by looking at me, they don't even bother to ask or talk to me.

happydude

I'm not for him or against him. I recognize him as a future HOF'er who came to Chicago at the tail end of his better years. Frankly, I don't get the attachment to him. He did ok for us, and he'd be a better option than we currently have at DH barring his annual back problems, but we only went to the playoffs once in his four years. Its not like we lost a crucial piece to a championship team. Whether he's a "great" guy or not doesn't factor into it.

doublem23
08-17-2010, 11:05 PM

Some people actually like baseball.

I'm still stoked I have tickets to 4 more games this season.

WhiteSox1989
Reason 1: We've been playing like **** and lost the lead to the Twins. This one seems like another nail in the coffin.
Reason 2: Thome walk-off homerun. That hurts. It really really does.
I understand the reasoning, but the season is not over because of it.

AZChiSoxFan
At worst, we have a hell of a pitching staff next season, and Jerry/Kenny can't cheap out on offense this offseason and still expect to sell tickets.

At best, there's 40+ games left. A lot can happen. This team didn't lay down and die tonight, and I doubt they will the rest of the year. Also, we have 2 games left in the series, and 3 more with the Twins at home.

And I can handle tonight's loss as long as we beat that lucky bastard Pavano on Wednesday night.

You my friend are an optimist. I'm sorry but you can stick a fork in the Sox, they are WELL done. 5 games left with Minn only means 5 more games to lose, 3 or 4 of them in the last at bat.

GoGoCrede
Me and your are probably the only two people on here who takes sox games not even to heart beyond it. The sad thing is my family and friends all know when the Sox lose just by looking at me, they don't even bother to ask or talk to me.

Nonsense. Most of us here take losses pretty hard. We just deal with them differently.

Domeshot17
08-17-2010, 11:06 PM
As soon as Thome came up, you just kind of knew how it was going to end. It happens, We lost Peavy, and without him, the Twins are just a better team. We have an average offense that runs hot or cold, an inconsistent bullpen that recently crumbles in pressure situations, middle of the road defense, and a rotation full of talent with no one stepping up (outside Jackson).

Games like this are what keeps Danks from being mentioned in the elite young group of lefties. It isn't even all big games, but for a guy as talented as he is, he just can't harness it.

Dibbs
Thome is a swell guy, but the people second guessing Ozzie and Kenny, the guys who brought us a World Series and who have forgotten more about baseball than this entire board combined knows about the game, are just spouting nonsense. He was everything wrong with the composition of the team the last few years. Now we have a lot of guys who can play multiple positions and who can bring the fundamentals and defense out on the field.

Who are these guys you speak of? Kotsay? Jones? Teahen? Ok, you can take all three of those guys. I'll take Jim Thome.

WhiteSox1989
Absolutely not.

GoGoCrede

To Sox games? lol

LoveYourSuit
Yeah I know that might not make sense, but the last two weeks have been so frustrating that its making me a little numb to it all (like a lot of other posters have mentioned). Either way I am stoked to get to see the Sox, no matter if in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th place...

Great Ballpark BTW.

I went there early this year when the club was playing just like this, it actually was fun to walk around and get to see the entire park and not worry about the play on the field (because it sucked).

So I kind of will reason with you on that, since I was guilty of it earlier.

tacosalbarojas
08-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Great post from TDog regarding Jenks and the pen. Everyone wanting Jenks out of the mix is really being short sighted because we don't have a replacement for him and after a week of Putz and Thornton or closer by committee, whatever you want to call it, that is as clear as Jenks' struggles before it were.

kittle42
but the people second guessing Ozzie and Kenny, the guys who brought us a World Series and who have forgotten more about baseball than this entire board combined knows about the game, are just spouting nonsense.

Putting them beyond reproach, right?

I ****ing hate that argument. It's ridiculous.

LoveYourSuit
To Sox games? lol

Chivas USA vs Fire

UofCSoxFan

After having to buy a new lap top after a loss in 2008, I've learned just let out one big F bomb and let it rest. It's cathartic.

OmahaSoxFan
08-17-2010, 11:08 PM

Yep, the Sox are still our team... I am hoping to catch at least one, if not two games this weekend (depending on how my work schedule goes)... I would be stoked to have a chance to see the Sox 4 more times this year... no matter where they are in the division.

Anyone else making the trek down to KC this weekend?

soltrain21

Yep. I love the White Sox - but I love baseball a whole lot more.

kittle42
Great post from TDog regarding Jenks and the pen. Everyone wanting Jenks out of the mix is really being short sighted because we don't have a replacement for him and after a week of Putz and Thornton or closer by committee, whatever you want to call it, that is as clear as Jenks' struggles before it were.

Thirded. Jenks not being good - and then not being available - directly and indirectly has led to several losses in the past weeks.

GoGoCrede
After having to buy a new lap top after a loss in 2008, I've learned just let out one big F bomb and let it rest. It's cathartic.

Well, now we need to know what happened.

RockJock07

I think the best decision for myself is not watching the rest of this series. I can't watch them duck snort or bunt their way to a sweep or even 2 of 3. If the sox get swept they are 6 out with games vs KC and Balt at home next week.

The Sox need to focus on beating the Royals and Indians which they have a combined 12 games against left. couple that with 7 against and the tigers (4 at Det where the Sox play well) and still 3 vs min at home the road is still hard but they have a chance to really help themselves.

WhiteSox5187

Putz has closed before. I think a problem is - and people were mentioning it earlier - is that the bullpen has racked up a lot of innings. People were saying Thornton's arm might be as torn up as the Dan Ryan come August in May. That might be the case with the whole bullpen.

october23sp
Tomorrow's game is more important IMO than tonight's we can still win the series. If we drop tomorrow, we probably get swept and call it a season.

BUT Gavin Floyd can go out and throw a no-hitter, only getting broken up because he nailed Delmon Young so hard that (censored). And we will be right back in the thick of things.

These Sox can either sink or swim tomorrow night. They better come ****ing prepared.

Noneck
08-17-2010, 11:09 PM
It's asking a ton of Thornton and that's why I'm not pissed at him.

It is extremely rare for me to ever to be pissed at a player. I feel the same about coaches and a manager in game situations. 99% of the time they are trying to do what they think is the right thing to do to win. Everyone makes wrong decisions in life and Ill never hold that against anyone as long as their intentions were honorable.

I guess the skip was thinking desperate times call for desperate measures. Now if he does this again and doesn't learn from his mistake, I will be pissed at him.

Rdy2PlayBall
I wish I was born and raised a Twins fan, they've got it made. Right now, being a Sox fan has to be the worst, most stressful and heartbreaking type of fan in sports. I would take being 10 games out one million times over this, and what has been happening the past month. I truly believe this team is done, and i would be pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong. This season has been one big fluke. They'll be 9.5 back again quicker than they got to 3.5 up. This is embarasing, and I respect ESPN for almost completely ignoring the Sox big run. Way to ruin a day of my vacation Thome... This feels like 3 pages long but its probably 2 lines, this little keyboard hurts to rant with.

Good night everyone, hopefully I catch a big fish in the morning. Sorry, but I cant seem to read anyone's posts. So let me say before anyone needs to take any anger out on me, I dont want to be a twins fan. Im just jealous. ;)

DickAllen72
Well, you know, Kenny could have still signed him.
And then Ozzie would have probably had him batting third and playing everyday. And that would have been misusing him.

Thome would have been a nice cheap LH DH for the Sox batting fifth or sixth when in the lineup against RHP. But Ozzie would rather have Kotsay filling that role instead of Thome.

GoGoCrede
Has anyone heard if Ozzie's made any postgame comments?

october23sp
08-17-2010, 11:10 PM
I wish I was born and raised a Twins fan, they've got it made. Right now, being a Sox fan has to be the worst, most stressful and heartbreaking type of fan in sports. I would take being 10 games out one million times over this, and what has been happening the past month. I truly believe this team is done, and i would be pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong. This season has been one big fluke. They'll be 9.5 back again quicker than they got to 3.5 up. This is embarasing, and I respect ESPN for almost completely ignoring the Sox big run. Way to ruin a day of my vacation Thome... This feels like 3 pages long but its probably 2 lines, this little keyboard hurts to rant with.

Good night everyone, hopefully I catch a big fish in the morning.

We had 2005, I'll take that over anything the Twins have ever had.

LoveYourSuit

By evidence of the play on the field, and that should be the only way to judge this, the entire idea and concept has been proven wrong. What more evidence do you need?

slavko
I said this numerous times, I for one am not a fan of Matt Thornton, how in the hell do you throw nothing but fastballs to JIM ****ING THOME. Please don't give me that **** about he's had success with it thus far why not, that only applies to when he's pitching to someone like Delmon Young or a rookie not a veteran like Thome who lives on fastballs. Yes this season is far from over but I really do not like what Iv'e seen since the all star break.

For the sake of accuracy...the rap against Thome here was that he could no longer catch up to the high fastball. Otherwise you have a good case that if a big MLB bopper knows you can only throw one pitch, he's gonna get you.

JB98
Nonsense. Most of us here take losses pretty hard. We just deal with them differently.

Yep. Agreed. I hate it when the Sox lose. Ask anybody. I'm not going to cry about a baseball game, though. There's no crying in baseball.

There is cursing and the occasional tossing of an object in frustration. I've learned through the years to toss something that is not breakable, however.

Qdiddy
Can we just finally admit that the Twins are a better "TEAM" than we are. The dome excuse is over....it comes down to simply executing. They do it. We don't.

1. Alexi not moving AJ over.
2. Paulie choking again in the clutch.
3. Danks sh... his pants in the first.

Floyd is going to go out tomorrow and pitch 7 innings, give up 2 runs and the Sox will lose 2-1 just like most of his starts.

The Sox are who we thought they are.....scared of the Twins.

Can you handle the truth?

sox1970
08-17-2010, 11:11 PM
C'mon AJ, sack up.

http://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/21460531797

Jollyroger2
Meh, I had a feeling the season was turning downhill in Baltimore. Playing lazy, stupid, uninspired baseball won't get it done. Watching this train wreck tonight didn't suprise me in the least. The sad thing is, even when they took the lead I figured they'd blow it.

Allowing 4 1st inning runs? Great job. PK grounding into another DP with men in scoring position late in the game? Check. The bullpen blowing another save? Check. The guy who DOES get the clutch GW homer? Someone our brilliant KW cast aside as not needed, while filling the lineup with juggernauts like Teahan, Jones, Kotsay, etc.

Hopefully as these embarrassing losses keep piling up, there will be lessons learned for management for next season.

thomas35forever
By evidence of the play on the field, and that should be the only way to judge this, the entire idea and concept has been proven wrong. What more evidence do you need?
Okay, even if that's true, that's part of risk-taking in sports. You win some, you lose some. In this case, the Sox are at the short end.

GoGoCrede

Making the playoffs so many times but having jack **** to show for it must sting.
And who cares about ESPN?

spiffie
We had 2005, I'll take that over anything the Twins have ever had.
Exactly. 1987 and 1991 are a LONG time ago!

BringHomeDaBacon
Jim Thome's OPS is almost 1.000 :o:. He doesn't qualify, but that would be 3rd in the league! Hopefully Ozzie never becomes our GM, although he might as well considering Kenny can't pull the trigger on his own.

On a side note, Delmon Young is a beast. I believe Hawk mentioned him in tonight's broadcast about his batting practice home runs. I seen him take BP in Toronto last month, and I have NEVER witnessed anyone hit the ball as far or as hard before. Not even when Barry Bonds came to the cell and was putting them on the concourse. Young put multiple shots in the 4th deck where Canseco's legendary homer landed. He is absolutely amazing.

Oh, and I think the Sox are cooked this year too.

Yup. Delmon Young has arrived in a big big way. He showed some balls tonight too. I would love to hate but gotta appreciate.

manders_01

Yep, the Sox are still our team... I am hoping to catch at least one, if not two games this weekend (depending on how my work schedule goes)... I would be stoked to have a chance to see the Sox 4 more times this year... no matter where they are in the division.

Anyone else making the trek down to KC this weekend?

I'd kill to see a regular season Sox game this year! But my best chance of that is this weekend and I just can't swing it financially. I have been keeping my hopes up that I can somehow go but I know I'm deluded. I've been fairly crushed all day knowing I won't be able to make the trip. :whiner:

LoveYourSuit
08-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Tomorrow's game is more important IMO than tonight's we can still win the series. If we drop tomorrow, we probably get swept and call it a season.

BUT Gavin Floyd can go out and throw a no-hitter, only getting broken up because he nailed Delmon Young so hard that (censored). And we will be right back in the thick of things.

These Sox can either sink or swim tomorrow night. They better come ****ing prepared.

You have been "calling it a season" since we were back at Camelback Ranch.

JB98

Nonsense. Remember 2007? I'll take the **** we are dealing with lately over Luis Terrero and friends any day of the week.

OmahaSoxFan

The next two games are basically do or die for the Sox. Lose both, and 6 games out against a red hot Twins team is major trouble. Win the next two somehow, and a 2 game deficit doesn't look so bad, especially with games upcoming against the likes of the Royals and Orioles left. To prove they can win this division, the Sox have to beat the Twins and they need to prove it tomorrow and Wednesday night.

AlexRios51
Thats why I said we were probably the only two who handle em the way
we do.
Absolutely not.
Thats exactly why I said probably, nice to know we are not alone

WhiteSox5187
Can we just finally admit that the Twins are a better "TEAM" than we are. The dome excuse is over....it comes down to simply executing. They do it. We don't.

Floyd is going to go out tomorrow and pitch 7 innings, give up 2 runs and the Sox will lose 2-1 just like most of his starts.

That's all true. I think the one thing we do better than the Twins is pitch, but of late our bullpen is just as bad as theirs. If we can't pitch better than them, we're done.

RockJock07

no

AZChiSoxFan

You know, you are totally correct. That's evidenced of course by where the Sox are in the standings compared to Minn.