PDA

View Full Version : Barret Loux

tm1119
08-17-2010, 03:16 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/08/barret-loux-to-be-granted-free-agency.html

I would certainly be all for this. With surgeries as advanced as they currently are theres no reason he cant get whatever he needs fixed and be back in a year as strong as ever. Having a guy that was worthy of a top 10 overall pick certainly cant hurt our poor farm system. He was projected as a polished close to major league ready arm out of college so even with surgery he could still get the majors 2 years down the road if all goes well. This at least makes me feel better knowing that management is trying to add more talent to the minors, even if it is via free agency.

EDIT: Just saw this already got posted in the minors section so I guess a merger is in order.

Pablo_Honey
08-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Having a guy that was worthy of a top 10 overall pick certainly cant hurt our poor farm system.
While he was drafted 7th overall, a lot of people saw it as a questionable overdraft, and it would probably have been more criticized if it weren't for the Cubs picking a Division II pitcher in the first round. I'd say he was hardly a worthy pick in the top 10. Most saw him as a late 1st round or early 2nd round talent.

Having said that, the kid has shown the ability to miss bats without giving up too much walks. He's a good prospect, just not a top 10 pick. Considering we missed out on Grimes, he will be a nice pickup for our barren minor league. You can't never have too much pitching so I'm all for it.

JermaineDye05
08-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Wasn't Loux one of the guys the team was supposedly looking to draft in the first round? I seem to recall that being hinted at during the draft episode of The Club. Though I may be thinking of someone else.

DirtySox
08-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Wasn't Loux one of the guys the team was supposedly looking to draft in the first round? I seem to recall that being hinted at during the draft episode of The Club. Though I may be thinking of someone else.

Yes, you are correct.

Pablo_Honey
08-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Yup. I don't know anything about The Club, but rumours had the Sox interested in Loux (One of many marginal college arms we were linked to, anyway). I think one of Mayo's mock had Loux going to us, and people were surprised to see him so high after being listed so low up until that point.

soxfanreggie
08-17-2010, 08:09 PM
If we can get him at a good amount for us, it wouldn't be bad to get more talent in the minor league system even if we have to wait for him to recover.

PolishPrince34
08-17-2010, 11:10 PM
I'd be very surprised to see the Sox throw money after Loux. They wouldn't give Grimes $500,000 and Terry $275,000.

Pablo_Honey
08-17-2010, 11:19 PM
I'd be very surprised to see the Sox throw money after Loux. They wouldn't give Grimes $500,000 and Terry $275,000.
Well obviously the Sox won't get him if he demands too much, but Loux is not exactly in a position to demand much money. Considering that Loux was a late first round talent, I can see the Sox ponying up some money to get him. Afterall, he is a polished college arm that we were interested in drafting. If we miss out on him because we weren't willing to dish out the dough, I'm going to be flipping irate.

Randar68
08-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Well obviously the Sox won't get him if he demands too much, but Loux is not exactly in a position to demand much money. Considering that Loux was a late first round talent, I can see the Sox ponying up some money to get him. Afterall, he is a polished college arm that we were interested in drafting. If we miss out on him because we weren't willing to dish out the dough, I'm going to be flipping irate.

It's a calculated risk based on his injury. And the teams bidding for him will be making offers based on what they perceive the value vs risk to be. Someone could offer him 2 million bucks and he could never recover, meanwhile you're flipping out... why?

Pablo_Honey
08-18-2010, 05:27 PM
It's a calculated risk based on his injury. And the teams bidding for him will be making offers based on what they perceive the value vs risk to be. Someone could offer him 2 million bucks and he could never recover, meanwhile you're flipping out... why?
Well 2 mil is a bit much for Loux, considering that his future is very uncertain right now. I wouldn't be upset if we miss out on him for that much. However, if the price is around 1 million and Sox think that's too much, it goes to show how cheap this organization is. That's what I am worried will happen. Obviously the price will go up if other teams are involved but my rough estimate has him costing less than 2 million.