PDA

View Full Version : Pitchers "Scuffing" the Baseball

Foulke You
08-16-2010, 03:39 PM
This was brought up on one of the sports blab shows last week and the subject was scuffing or doctoring the baseball. The host (I believe it was Dan Bernstein) mentioned that he had a source that said Sox players were privately suspecting Carl Pavano of doctoring the ball but they can't prove it. This was after we faced him in July at Target Field where we lost 3-2 and Pavano pitched a complete game. Apparently, our players noticed a peculiar "spin" on his ball that just hadn't been there in the previous times they faced him. This spin just didn't look normal to the hitters.

I'm not sure where the host gets his information from or if it is accurate but it is certainly compelling considering this sudden run of success that the 34 year old veteran right hander is enjoying. We saw Kenny Rogers get caught doing it as recently as the 2006 World Series. I know it has been part of the game for a long time but I was wondering how many of you still think "scuffing" or doctoring the baseball is still prevalent in today's game?

Lip Man 1
08-16-2010, 03:50 PM
That's exactly what I was told by a source right after the game in Minnesota.

Lip

wsgdf
08-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Probably hiding something in the 'stache.

illinibk
08-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Probably hiding something in the 'stache.

Rick Vaughn (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000221/): You put snot on the ball?
Eddie Harris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0743304/): I haven't got an arm like you, kid. I have to put anything on it I can find. Someday you will too.

Foulke You
08-16-2010, 11:10 PM
That's exactly what I was told by a source right after the game in Minnesota.

Lip
If you posted it here on WSI, I'd bet that the host lifted it from here. I can't remember exactly which show I was listening to though. In any case, it certainly would provide an explanation for Pavano's sudden Cy Young form. Hopefully, the Sox will keep an eye on him during Thursday's game to see if they can find anything. I'd love to see a nail file fall out of his pockets. :cool:

Nellie_Fox
08-17-2010, 01:02 AM
I was wondering how many of you still think "scuffing" or doctoring the baseball is still prevalent in today's game?I'm sure it happens, but it's not "prevalent."

Another Blyleven comment: He mentioned about how, when a pitch hits the dirt in front of home plate, the catchers these days just automatically hand it to the umpire and get a new one. Blyleven said "hey, don't just offer that ball up; make the umpire ask for it. I want that scuffed ball if I'm the pitcher. But then, I don't think most of today's pitchers would know what to do with it."

DumpJerry
08-17-2010, 09:05 AM
If you posted it here on WSI, I'd bet that the host lifted it from here. I can't remember exactly which show I was listening to though. In any case, it certainly would provide an explanation for Pavano's sudden Cy Young form. Hopefully, the Sox will keep an eye on him during Thursday's game to see if they can find anything. I'd love to see a nail file fall out of his pockets. :cool:
Coop will fix him.

In the parking lot with a bat.

Foulke You
08-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Blyleven might be right about a lot of pitchers today not even knowing what to do with it but I bet there are enough veterans out there who do know. I was also wondering about punishment for "scuffing" and according to this article, a player will be suspended for 10 games if caught scuffing the baseball:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0216scuffing-ON.html