PDA

View Full Version : Will the Sox make the playoffs?

WhiteSox5187
08-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Yes or no.

DumpJerry
08-15-2010, 08:26 PM
If "no" wins the poll, does that mean MLB won't let them play if they do indeed qualify for the playoffs?

Just curious if this is a binding or non-binding referendum before I cast my ballot.

GoGoCrede
08-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Yes. My faith in this has been unwavering since June.

october23sp
08-15-2010, 08:49 PM
MoqTD0mOKF4

Rdy2PlayBall
08-15-2010, 08:53 PM
MoqTD0mOKF4You need help...

GoGoCrede
08-15-2010, 08:53 PM
You need help...

I think he's enjoying it.

october23sp
08-15-2010, 08:57 PM
I think he's enjoying it.

Negatory, there is just no chance this team makes the playoffs. We lost major ground playing the Orioles, then Twins at home, and a bad Tigers team at home. :shrug:

DumpJerry
08-15-2010, 09:04 PM
MoqTD0mOKF4
I am shocked that you feel this way, never saw it coming. We had people here in 2005 during August who said the Sox would never make the post-season.

Slappy
08-15-2010, 09:04 PM
That game tonight neatly summed up this season. They wont make the playoffs.

GoGoCrede
08-15-2010, 09:05 PM
If "no" wins the poll, does that mean MLB won't let them play if they do indeed qualify for the playoffs?

Just curious if this is a binding or non-binding referendum before I cast my ballot.

If you lose, you will be forced to eat a hot dog with only ketchup. :tongue: (Which I personally wouldn't mind, but I know many here would)

october23sp
08-15-2010, 09:08 PM

It's a poll. Our opinion. I want them to make the playoffs but they probably won't. So if yes wins do we not play the rest of the season? The message board is made so we can talk/predict/play armchair GM/Manager nothing we say actually goes.

BoysMom3
If you lose, you will be forced to eat a hot dog with only ketchup. :tongue: (Which I personally wouldn't mind, but I know many here would)

Hahaha, good one GGC.

I think they will make it.

Rdy2PlayBall
Negatory, there is just no chance this team makes the playoffs. We lost major ground playing the Orioles, then Twins at home, and a bad Tigers team at home. :shrug:Oh, 3 games is now considered "major ground". This team picked up 9 games in one month, I'm sure they can manage 3 in over 40 games.

shingo10
08-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Not trying to be negative and I should probably keep my comments to myself but is anyone else getting annoyed with all the polls? I mean just as I think they are pointless on Sox broadcasts, I think they are pointless here.

I think it's safe to assume that a healthy amount of people think the Sox will make the playoffs and a lot of people don't. Just the way it goes.

Slappy

I did that as a kid and probably up until sometime in high school. It's not that it tastes unbearable, it's just that a real chicago style hot dog with relish and pickle and mustard and everything is just 100 times better than just ketchup.

Anyway, if I am wrong I'll buy all the regulars here a beer. I'll do this by buying a 30 pack (that should cover most of the regulars) of Busch and leaving it in an alley at a central location where you can all go and take your beer when you want. :redface:

DumpJerry
I haven't voted, so how can I lose?

I'm waiting for the big offseason poll to cast my vote: "Do you approve of the new organist for the White Sox?"

october23sp
08-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Not trying to be negative and I should probably keep my comments to myself but is anyone else getting annoyed with all the polls? I mean just as I think they are pointless on Sox broadcasts, I think they are pointless here.

I think it's safe to assume that a healthy amount of people think the Sox will make the playoffs and a lot of people don't. Just the way it goes.

I am a poll fan.

GoGoCrede
08-15-2010, 09:11 PM
I did that as a kid and probably up until sometime in high school. It's not that it tastes unbearable, it's just that a real chicago style hot dog with relish and pickle and mustard and everything is just 100 times better than just ketchup.

Anyway, if I am wrong I'll buy all the regulars here a beer. I'll do this by buying a 30 pack (that should cover most of the regulars) of Busch and leaving it in an alley at a central location where you can all go and take your beer when you want. :redface:

I'm from CA, so I've never understood the love for a Chicago-style hot dog. I do, however, love seeing the outraged reactions of people when I put ketchup and mustard on it. It's hilarious.

I would love a beer! :gulp:

LITTLE NELL
08-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Not giving up yet but we need to win at least 2 in Minny.

GoGoCrede
08-15-2010, 09:15 PM

Tomorrow is an off day. We need something to stew about till then, I'm guessing.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Not giving up yet but we need to win at least 2 in Minny.If we win 2, I'll be the happiest little boy on the planet. 2 games back tastes a lot better out the mouth than 4. Oh how the Sox have fallen so quickly.

EdHerman12
08-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Beating up on the NL East teams allowed the Sox to get back in the race, and the way they were playing you'd have to think that they could play well enough down the stretch to win the Central, but the way they've played lately, especially against the Twins and now the Tigers...It's looking less and less like we'll see the Boys in teh post season..

It looked like they were finally starting to combine quality pitching with clutch hitting, but now they're back to this habit of getting good pitching, generate no offense...generate offense, get bad pitching...when they play like that things go real bad, and look what happened with the Jones play today for gosh sakes. when things go bad, that's what happens..

Well like Don Cooper says..."drown in negativity...swim in confidence...."...something like that!

g0g0
08-15-2010, 10:09 PM
I've had faith in them all year, but right now it looks more like the Twins will win the division rather than the Sox lose it.

Rikirk
08-15-2010, 10:13 PM
If they keep playing as they have as of late....they will be golfing come october.
Even if they do make the playoffs...I forsee a 1 and done situation.

As it stands...The Sox are a mediocre team, not a great one.

SoxSpeed22
08-15-2010, 10:23 PM
With the problems that our bullpen is having, Freddy falling off, Jenks going on the DL and the offenses ability to disappear at times, I only see us ending up with 86 wins. I hope I'm wrong and that the Sox make the playoffs, I just don't see it though.
Regardless, the postseason will be a 3 team race no matter who comes out of the central.

LoveYourSuit
08-15-2010, 10:25 PM
For the Sox to get in, something/someone special will have to happen on both offense and pitching that we did not expect here down the stretch.

My vote is Sale will help a great deal down the stretch for the bullpen.

I can't find that guy on offense. Might be why we fall short. To have expected for only Rios and Konerko to carry this offense the entire year, that was a bit wishful thinking by us. We need another guy to step up, big time.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-15-2010, 10:36 PM
For the Sox to get in, something/someone special will have to happen on both offense and pitching that we did not expect here down the stretch.

I can't find that guy on offense. Might be why we fall short. To have expected for only Rios and Konerko to carry this offense the entire year, that was a bit wishful thinking by us. We need another guy to step up, big time.Teahen will win the AL MVP... :scratch:

WhiteSox5187
08-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Oh, 3 games is now considered "major ground". This team picked up 9 games in one month, I'm sure they can manage 3 in over 40 games.

When you win what? 22 out of 24 you're going to make up some ground. Does this team have another streak like that in them? I don't know. They did something in that streak that they hadn't done in 34 years so to count on them to turn around and have another streak like that again is a bit silly. 3 games in 40 is reasonable the problem is it could quickly be more than 3 in less than 40. This series in Minnesota is going to sway my mind one way or another. If you're two back with 37 to play, you're in ok shape. Even 4 back is ok though not ideal. But if this team is 6 games back with 37 left to play they are in a world of trouble. Seeing as how we lost three out of four to Baltimore on the road and then couldn't take a series from Detroit at home - I would say that there is reason to fear a sweep from arguably the hottest team in baseball right now.

WhiteSox5187
08-15-2010, 10:40 PM

I can't find that guy on offense. Might be why we fall short. To have expected for only Rios and Konerko to carry this offense the entire year, that was a bit wishful thinking by us. We need another guy to step up, big time.

I think the plan heading into the season was for more than just Paulie and Rios to come through. The good thing about this offense is that a guy like Quentin could get red hot at any point and carry the team for a period of two weeks. So could Alexei. Pierre has been setting the table nicely of late too. There is even a chance that all of these guys could red hot at the same time and then we could go on a run. The problem is, the offense could also go ice cold for a period too.

I voted no just based on how we are playing, but I think after this series with Minnesota we're going to find out which way this team is going to go from here on out.

shingo10
08-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Tomorrow is an off day. We need something to stew about till then, I'm guessing.

This is true I suppose. By the way, Comcast is re-airing the Club starting tomorrow for those who couldn't see it. I believe the first episode is at 7.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Seeing as how we lost three out of four to Baltimore on the road and then couldn't take a series from Detroit at home - I would say that there is reason to fear a sweep from arguably the hottest team in baseball right now.It's not like the Sox were playing well before the great run... Nothing that has happened to this team should mean anything to anybody. There is A TON of baseball left, and 4 games isn't that deep of a whole. 1 game every 10 days doesn't sound very tough.

LoveYourSuit
08-15-2010, 11:15 PM
I think the plan heading into the season was for more than just Paulie and Rios to come through. The good thing about this offense is that a guy like Quentin could get red hot at any point and carry the team for a period of two weeks. So could Alexei. Pierre has been setting the table nicely of late too. There is even a chance that all of these guys could red hot at the same time and then we could go on a run. The problem is, the offense could also go ice cold for a period too.

I voted no just based on how we are playing, but I think after this series with Minnesota we're going to find out which way this team is going to go from here on out.

Any which way we try to paint it, the recipe for this offense was a complete set up for failure. Too many question marks, and too many ifs.

I strongly hope next season they go after a premier bat. When I say premier, I'm talking about a top 10 talent.

Starting rotation once again will be as good as any come next season, get it right on offense for once.

samurai_sox
08-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Ok, 3 games behind isn't a lot. So the Sox could come back.

BUT, I've seen this movie before, the one where the Sox fade down the stretch and the Twins squeak out a division title only to get swept in the playoffs.

guillensdisciple
08-15-2010, 11:36 PM
I am going out on a limb and saying the Sox sweep and never look back. We've played a lot of games in a row my friends. This could be the break we need to get our heads back in the game. Refreshed heads, and more importantly, bullpen, probably means a White Sox series win or sweep.

I believe in this team.

BoysMom3
08-16-2010, 01:22 AM
I am going out on a limb and saying the Sox sweep and never look back. We've played a lot of games in a row my friends. This could be the break we need to get our heads back in the game. Refreshed heads, and more importantly, bullpen, probably means a White Sox series win or sweep.

I believe in this team.

Me too. +1.

LITTLE NELL
08-16-2010, 09:07 AM
If we sweep, I think we go on to win the division.
If we win 2, we are alive and kicking.
If we win 1, we are on life support
If we get swept, last rites.

NLaloosh
08-16-2010, 09:13 AM
I vote YES. Ask me again in a few hours.

Jollyroger2
08-16-2010, 09:19 AM
I don't think they will. Honestly all along I've been unhappy with this team, particularly the offense. While they've played well for some stretches here or there, overall I've felt they are just a mediocre team that got hot against the dregs of the NL. And the facts and results so far have done nothing to show me any different.

The lineup blows, period. And management did nothing to make it better. The pitching, while dominant at times, still has guys who are underachieving. I mean let's face it it's not like Peavy was blowing people away before he got hurt. Buehrle is off and on. Garcia looks like he's hit the end of his rope. Jenks has been terrible/hurt.

I had said last weekend I was concerned when they were in Baltimore. Their play was lackluster with stupid mistakes, errors, and bad baserunning. The lineup couldn't hit three Oriole starters that everyone else in the league had been teeing off on. The team just didn't look interested. Meanwhile Minnesota took advantage and then came into Chicago and embarrassingly kicked their butts. And did the Sox respond with a strong series vs. a pathetic Tigers team? Nope. Got embarrassed there too. There's no emotion, no leadership and the players still look like they did in Baltimore, like they don't care.

Now 3 games back is hardly insurmountable, but given their track record vs. the Twins esp. up there, it could be a lot worse by the end of this week. If they can turn it around then great, I'd love it if they proved me wrong. But I don't see it right now. Too many dead spots in the lineup and too many guys just out there collecting a paycheck. And Ozzie & KW don't seem to care either.

Hitmen77
08-16-2010, 09:32 AM

Bud Selig eats a hot dog with ketchup. I learned that on The Club! :nod:

Hitmen77
08-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Hard to believe that we were tied for 1st as recently as Wednesday. Suddenly that feels like a long time ago.

Also, one month ago today, the Sox lead the Twins by 4.5 games.

So, yes, ground can be made up quickly. But there needs to be a momentum shift for both us and Minnesota.

Hitmen77
08-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Ok, 3 games behind isn't a lot. So the Sox could come back.

BUT, I've seen this movie before, the one where the Sox fade down the stretch and the Twins squeak out a division title only to get swept in the playoffs.

I've seen this offense before.

The Sox get off of a painfully slow "cold weather" start. Then the bats heat up in June. Then (just when I think we'll be alright if the pitching keeps doing well) the bats cool off big time in August and the Sox fall behind the pack.

That's standard White Sox baseball in recent years.

october23sp
08-16-2010, 09:45 AM
I've seen this offense before.

The Sox get off of a painfully slow "cold weather" start. Then the bats heat up in June. Then (just when I think we'll be alright if the pitching keeps doing well) the bats cool off big time in August and the Sox fall behind the pack.

That's standard White Sox baseball in recent years.

And we don't have Jim Thome to blast one out in game 163.

Railsplitter
08-16-2010, 10:31 AM
If you're a Sox fan, August is the cruelest month.

Crestani
08-16-2010, 12:31 PM

This pretty much sums up how I feel as well!
1.:D:
2.:redface:
3.:angry:

TomBradley72
08-16-2010, 12:45 PM
I don't think we will...mostly due to the strength of the Twins vs. our team.

We're playing short on offense...our closer situation is really rough shape...and overall the team looks a little "gassed" after the run they made in June/July.

We're gasping for air right now..the Twins are barely breaking a sweat.

Chez
08-16-2010, 12:45 PM
I don't believe the Twins can keep up the pace at which they are winning. Sox will clinch the division at home on the last Friday against Cleveland.

sox1970
08-16-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't believe the Twins can keep up the pace at which they are winning. Sox will clinch the division at home on the last Friday against Cleveland.

Just looking at the Twins schedule, they don't really have to play at a hot pace to win the division.

Home vs Sox and Angels--4-2
Away vs Tex and Sea--4-3
Home vs Det, Tex, KC--6-3
Away vs Cle and Sox --3-3
Home vs Oak and Cle --4-2
Away vs Det and KC --3-3
Home vs Toronto -- 2-2

Very conservative here, they go 26-18 the rest of the way for a 94-68 record. That's a tough mountain to climb for the Sox.

white sox bill
08-16-2010, 05:09 PM

Lawyerspeak?? :D::D:

delben91
08-16-2010, 05:18 PM
I am shocked that you feel this way, never saw it coming. We had people here in 2005 during August who said the Sox would never make the post-season.

I was one of those people and I believe in one raging post even decreed that the Sox would lose the division and wild card, that the Indians would take the AL Central and then the World Series, and that Cleveland would then begin a dynasty similar to those teams of the late 90s with Travis Hafner leading the way.

As you can see, I was just a bit off.

So though I've had some private and occasional public rage on WSI over the course of the last week, no way am I saying it's over, even if heaven forbid the Sox do get swept. I'm voting they make the playoffs, because that's the type of fan I want to be, optimistic, even if occasionally foolishly so.

Corlose 15
08-16-2010, 05:38 PM
They need to show this week that they have a pulse and start playing complete baseball games again. That means proving that they aren't mental midgets who have already lost the game when the play the Twins.

They need to continue to get quality starts, the bullpen needs to "bow their collective necks", and Alex Rios needs to show up. If they get these things I believe they can win the division.

The Twins are beatable, this isn't the Mantle, Berra, Ford Yankees we're talking about here. Which is exactly what makes constantly losing to these guys so damn frustrating.

They can win the division, however recent White Sox history doesn't have me very optimistic.

SSrep
08-16-2010, 05:41 PM
I believe if the Sox win 2 of 3, we take it. I'm hoping we pick up a game or two when we play Baltimore at home and Minnesota goes to Texas for four. I'm also assuming we take 2 of 3 against Minny at home in mid-September.

I know we're struggling mightily right now, especially considering it's against sub-par teams/rivals...all I'm saying is win 2 of 3 in Minnesota and get that confidence going into KC. If not, well...different story.

tsoxman
08-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Any which way we try to paint it, the recipe for this offense was a complete set up for failure. Too many question marks, and too many ifs.

I strongly hope next season they go after a premier bat. When I say premier, I'm talking about a top 10 talent.

Starting rotation once again will be as good as any come next season, get it right on offense for once.
Too much money is owed to Peavy, Rios, Buehrle, Jackson and Mr. Deadwood, Mark Teahen. Then, we will have to either sign AJ, Paulie and Jenks, or find replacements for those positions, and restock the bench ( I am hoping we say goodbye to Kotsay and Jones (I would be surprised if Visquel returns). And what are we going to do with Danks and Floyd who are approaching free agency? The time to lock up those types of young pitchers is now and not on the eve of their free agency.

And I doubt that season tickets will be flying off the shelves this off season if this team continues to implode down the stretch, so an increase in payroll seems to be out of the question.

So to address your original concern, I fully expect even more ifs, maybes and question marks going into next off season.

This is what happens when you have a GM who devalues player development.

Slappy
08-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Too much money is owed to Peavy, Rios, Buehrle, Jackson and Mr. Deadwood, Mark Teahen.

Sorry to pick on one small aspect of your post, but are you kidding me? Since Teahen's been back (3 games) he has 3 runs scored, 1 hr, and 3 rbi. He was tearing it up in AAA in his rehab stint and he's clearly hungry and out to prove himself.

If he doesn't start playing everyday over Kotsay I am done watching this team.

manders_01
08-16-2010, 08:07 PM
Absolutely!

JB98
08-16-2010, 08:47 PM
I didn't like the team coming into the year. I described the Sox as having a "third-place roster" on this forum in March.

I'm surprised they are in the hunt. They'll really surprise me if they win it.

tsoxman
08-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Sorry to pick on one small aspect of your post, but are you kidding me? Since Teahen's been back (3 games) he has 3 runs scored, 1 hr, and 3 rbi. He was tearing it up in AAA in his rehab stint and he's clearly hungry and out to prove himself.

If he doesn't start playing everyday over Kotsay I am done watching this team.
I will agree that Mark T is an upgrade over Mark K....but recall that Teahen's original role was an everyday thid baseman which he has been an abject failure. That is not necessarily his fault but poor scouting and planning on Kenny's part. Moreover, his offensive numbers for his career, except for two seasons, have not been great, especially recently.

tsoxman
08-16-2010, 09:04 PM
I didn't like the team coming into the year. I described the Sox as having a "third-place roster" on this forum in March.

I'm surprised they are in the hunt. They'll really surprise me if they win it.
Me too. The Sox have overachieved, in my view. I thought that this was an 83-84 win team, which it may regress to after everything is said and done.

I also think that part of the whole overall success formula for the Sox this year was expecting a dropoff from the Twins because they were playing in the scary-cold open air Target Field.

Nellie_Fox
08-17-2010, 12:55 AM
...the whole overall success formula for the Sox this year was expecting a dropoff from the Twins because they were playing in the scary-cold open air Target Field.I believe that was a near consensus here on WSI, as well. I read repeatedly how they were going to suck without the huge advantage of the dome.

LoveYourSuit
08-17-2010, 01:27 AM
I believe that was a near consensus here on WSI, as well. I read repeatedly how they were going to suck without the huge advantage of the dome.

Stats show that they are actually a better offensive team now than they were at the dome.

harwar
08-17-2010, 06:53 AM
every game from now on is so important and the pressure and excitement will keep building .. should be fun .. on a selfish note .. this,more than likely,being my last season .. they damn well better win !!!

TheOldRoman
08-17-2010, 10:04 AM
Stats show that they are actually a better offensive team now than they were at the dome.They have considerably more talent on offense than the dome teams, that is why. Instead of relying on pixie dust and random .330 seasons from the Lew Fords/Nick Puntos/Jason Bartletts of the world (and getting one every year) they built a talented offense. I think the White Sox are still the better team because our pitching is so much superior, but that won't mean jack squat if the Sox default again and hand the Twins another crown.

ChiSox81
08-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Yes unless we get swept in Minnesota. Our pitching is superior to the Twins but we can't afford to get into any bigger of a hole because offensively we are not consistent enough.

NLaloosh
08-17-2010, 12:27 PM
I know it's only wishful thinking but...I would love for the Sox to be in this spot right now with a rotation like this:

Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Peavy and Jackson

I'd love to watch them slam the door on this division !

But, alas...

Corlose 15
08-17-2010, 01:50 PM
I know it's only wishful thinking but...I would love for the Sox to be in this spot right now with a rotation like this:

Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Peavy and Jackson

I'd love to watch them slam the door on this division !

But, alas...

It is entirely possible that the Sox don't acquire Jackson if Peavy doesn't go on the DL.

You'll have to wait til next year for that rotation.

konerko 14
08-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Yesss!!!! Don't give up hope, I predict the Sox will win the division by 4 games.

oeo
08-17-2010, 02:55 PM
It is entirely possible that the Sox don't acquire Jackson if Peavy doesn't go on the DL.

You'll have to wait til next year for that rotation.

Extremely unlikely, though it would have been a smart move. Can never have enough pitching, and the way Freddy is showing signs of slowing down, the extra starter would have been nice.

GoSox2K3
08-17-2010, 08:10 PM
No.

Too bad Ozzie didn't need a real DH. We sure could have used another bat in our lineup. The 1-7 record in the last 8 one run games says a lot. So does our bullpen running on fumes because every game is a tight game.

But hey, at least we don't have basecloggers! Oh well, maybe next year if we can afford enough hitting after our starting rotation takes up about $50 million of our payroll.

With the Cubs embarrassing themselves this year, this is a golden opportunity to win over more of Chicago by making the playoffs - but I really don't see it happening.

hi im skot
08-17-2010, 08:41 PM
No.

Too bad Ozzie didn't need a real DH. We sure could have used another bat in our lineup. The 1-7 record in the last 8 one run games says a lot. So does our bullpen running on fumes because every game is a tight game.

Someone's not watching the game tonight...

gogosox675
08-17-2010, 09:50 PM

Couldn't agree more.