PDA

View Full Version : Trying not to be a pessimist but.....

MattSharp
06-26-2002, 12:25 AM
I mean it's great the Sox got a season high 23 hits and 15 runs, but seriously, Buehrle the Ace pitched pretty lousy tonight, granted the offense overshadowed it enough. And I know I am coming off as a major pessimist, but I would rather see the Sox bats go silent and Buehrle pitch good, and have the Sox bats hot when any of the other guys are going. It's hard to explain what I am thinking. I mean I know the Sox won and I should be happy, but until the bats show consistentcy I would rather ahve seen Burly through like a 1 hitter and us get like 1 run or something.....

Randar68
06-26-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by MattSharp
I mean it's great the Sox got a season high 23 hits and 15 runs, but seriously, Buehrle the Ace pitched pretty lousy tonight, granted the offense overshadowed it enough. And I know I am coming off as a major pessimist, but I would rather see the Sox bats go silent and Buehrle pitch good, and have the Sox bats hot when any of the other guys are going. It's hard to explain what I am thinking. I mean I know the Sox won and I should be happy, but until the bats show consistentcy I would rather ahve seen Burly through like a 1 hitter and us get like 1 run or something.....

The only thing that matters is the W. Buerhle threw some cookies up there, and that's a luxury he could afford with the lead he had, especially in the 7th on the HR ball.

JM should have let him finish the 7th inning, but I won't complain on a night where we hit throughout the whole game and beat the tar out of the Twinks...

delben91
06-26-2002, 08:57 AM
I would rather ahve seen Burly through like a 1 hitter and us get like 1 run or something.....

Mark does have dominating outings at least 3 out of every 5 starts, and most of the time 4 out of every 5 of his starts. You can't expect him to be pitching at his highest level every single time out. It just doesn't work that way. Besides, he's only what? 24 years old? Imagine what he'll do with 2 more years under his belt.

hold2dibber
06-26-2002, 09:33 AM

I don't think Buehrle's outing is the cause for any concern. All pitchers, even great ones like Buehrle, have bad outings on occasion. At this point, the Sox major concern is the sputtering offense, and therefore, I found last night's game very encouraging. Not only because they scored a lot of runs, but the whole team, from top to bottom (except maybe Big Hurt), took good, smart swings all night. How many times did guys go the other way last night? Graffy at least a few times, Maggs at least a few times, Konerko at least once, Paul, Ray -- they were all taking what the pitchers were giving them and finding holes, instead of taking big hacks and hoping for the fences. If they can keep that approach as a group, I think the offense will come around.