PDA

View Full Version : How Many games back after the Twins series?

october23sp
08-15-2010, 04:48 PM
This series will determine a lot about the season.

soltrain21
08-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Sox win 2 of 3 to be 2 back.

october23sp
08-15-2010, 04:50 PM
I think we take one game. We have too good of pitchers going to get swept, but we aren't good enough to slow them down and win the series.

WhiteSox5187
08-15-2010, 04:55 PM
I think we take one game. We have too good of pitchers going to get swept, but we aren't good enough to slow them down and win the series.

I agree. The good news is there is still time for the Sox to get hot again. The bad news is, well, it's not very likely to happen again.

LoveYourSuit
08-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Liriano and Pavano are the two games I don't see our offense doing anything. Our SPs will hold them down to 3-4 runs, but we might only score 1-2 runs in those games.

Dan H
08-15-2010, 05:08 PM
They probably will get a solid performance from one starter and take one. But that's it. Winning the division is nothing but an uphill climb.

EdHerman12
08-15-2010, 05:09 PM
I'd sure like to see Danks pitch against Liriano...

34rancher
08-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Where is my answer of 7? if it were possible we would find a way to lose 4 out of 3 nowadays. Ugh.

GoGoCrede
08-15-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm going to be obnoxiously cheerful/arrogant and say we'll be 0 games back. :gulp:

sox1970
08-15-2010, 07:37 PM
If the Sox win this series, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

We'll probably be 4 back, and in deep trouble with 41 games left.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-15-2010, 07:54 PM
If the Sox win this series, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

We'll probably be 4 back, and in deep trouble with 41 games left.4 back is deep trouble? No.

sox1970
08-15-2010, 07:59 PM
4 back is deep trouble? No.

They have the easier schedule. 4 is real bad.

october23sp
08-15-2010, 08:12 PM
They have the easier schedule. 4 is real bad.

They are about equal.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-15-2010, 08:13 PM
They have the easier schedule. 4 is real bad.The Sox have more home games.

sox1970
08-15-2010, 08:16 PM
They are about equal.

Yeah, so I'd give the Twins the edge. Better record in the league. Better record in the division. Better record head-to-head. Bullpen is more consistent. They might get Morneau back which would help their offense and defense even more. We're pretty much screwed.

sox1970
08-15-2010, 08:19 PM
The Sox have more home games.

With 50 games left, both teams had 28 home games.

Now the Twins have 25 left, and the Sox have 22.

Not good.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Yeah, so I'd give the Twins the edge. Better record in the league. Better record in the division. Better record head-to-head. Bullpen is more consistent. They might get Morneau back which would help their offense and defense even more. We're pretty much screwed.Better record since when? A week ago? Come on, bad excuse. We got Teahen, a better Beckham, and a better 5th starter. The Sox improved in more places than the Twins since the All-Star break, the Sox are just in a slump. No one is screwed. If the Sox were tied for first right now, I bet you would have a much different attitude.

With 50 games left, both teams had 28 home games. Now the Twins have 25 left, and the Sox have 22. Not good.Blame Hawk, not me. Sorry.

sox1970
08-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Better record since when? A week ago? Come on, bad excuse. We got Teahen, a better Beckham, and a better 5th starter. The Sox improved in more places than the Twins since the All-Star break, the Sox are just in a slump. No one is screwed. If the Sox were tied for first right now, I bet you would have a much different attitude.

Well, duuuuuhh!

Sorry, I can't join you in your optimism.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Well, duuuuuhh!

Sorry, I can't join you in your optimism.:scratch:
The Sox position in the standings should have nothing to do with someones opinion on the remaining games in the schedule. One week has turned the Sox from "in the race until the last week of the season" to "screwed". That's now how it should work.
I'm not being optimistic, I'm just not joining the panic or being irrational. It's like everyone forgets that the Sox were like 4.5 games ahead of the Twins at one point. They're still in it (obviously).

StillMissOzzie
08-15-2010, 09:15 PM
The Sox have more home games.

After going 2-4 on the latest homestand, this does not fill me with confidence.

SMO
:angry:

Rdy2PlayBall
08-15-2010, 09:20 PM
After going 2-4 on the latest homestand, this does not fill me with confidence.

SMO
:angry:Ok then. I guess no one has ever lost a short homestand.

bunty_doghunter
08-15-2010, 09:22 PM
44 games left.
Sox 22 home, 22 road.
Twins 25 home, 19 road.

Of course, home has not been so sweet lately.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-15-2010, 09:26 PM
44 games left.
Sox 22 home, 22 road.
Twins 25 home, 19 road.

Of course, home has not been so sweet lately.Hawk told me they Twins had less home games. I get it already. The Twins park hasn't been too friendly to them, so maybe it doesn't matter. Bad outings by the bullpen late in games doesn't exactly help the way a home stand record looks.

slavko
08-15-2010, 10:50 PM
I'd put chances of us sweeping at <5%.

Hitmen77
08-15-2010, 11:12 PM
I'll say we manage to grab one win in Minnesota somehow and leave town 4 back. If we're 6 back, this team is in a huge hole.

4 back is deep trouble? No.

4 games back wouldn't be so bad if we actually had a good lineup. Unfortunately, 4 games back with the holes in our lineup + Freddy running out of gas + our bullpen in a rough patch + our poor fundamentals = bad news. With the way the Twins and Sox are both playing over all, 4 games back wouldn't be easy to overcome.

We'll be back to hoping for another Twins slump and, at the same time, hoping for our team to suddenly play like it's interleague time again.

Remember how the Twins were in big trouble when Morneau went down? ...and how they were going to come back down to earth when they started playing better teams? I guess not.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-15-2010, 11:46 PM
We'll be back to hoping for another Twins slump and, at the same time, hoping for our team to suddenly play like it's interleague time again.
Now people are bringing up the interleague **** again. We also had a nice winning steak, and played good baseball against AL teams after we left the NL. This isn't because we are in the AL again... it's because we are losing against Baltimore and suck against the AL Central.

guillensdisciple
08-15-2010, 11:48 PM
I think we're tied. Yes, I am optimistic. I have nothing else I can be.

Hitmen77
08-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Now people are bringing up the interleague **** again. We also had a nice winning steak, and played good baseball against AL teams after we left the NL. This isn't because we are in the AL again... it's because we are losing against Baltimore and suck against the AL Central.

The only AL team we played well against since June was that impressive week vs. Texas and Anaheim. That was more than a month ago and since then we've only looked good vs. Seattle.

If you don't like people mentioning our success in interleague (or as you so eloquently called it, "the interleague **** " :rolleyes:) then that's your problem. Feel free to ignore facts if it makes you feel better.

Nelfox02
08-16-2010, 08:11 AM
going with the herd here and giving them 1 win. I felt for the majority of the season the Twins are a better team, the concern for them was the closer situation and a weaker rotation once you got past 1 and 2......well they addressed closer at the break and somehow Barker/Slowey have become monsters as of late.......factor in Duensing coming back and being pretty good......

at 4 out Sox still have a shot.....2 back (just 1 more W) sounds a helluva lot better tho....

october23sp
08-16-2010, 08:18 AM
There is about a 25% chance IMO that we can win the series. If we win, I'll be a little more optimistic. The big game will be Buehrle's, what Mark Buehrle will show up to the park that night? When that question is answered, we may have found out how this entire season will shake down.

soxfanreggie
08-16-2010, 08:31 AM
I predict that Danks will carry us to a win tonight and somehow we'll win one of the next two. :smile: If we lose more ground in this series...well, I just don't want to think about that. :(:

Rdy2PlayBall
08-16-2010, 08:31 AM
The only AL team we played well against since June was that impressive week vs. Texas and Anaheim. That was more than a month ago and since then we've only looked good vs. Seattle.

If you don't like people mentioning our success in interleague (or as you so eloquently called it, "the interleague **** " :rolleyes:) then that's your problem. Feel free to ignore facts if it makes you feel better.18-9 in June
18-8 in July

That's one month of Interleague, and another of regular AL play. It sure seems like the Sox had a pretty good month against the AL. One would even say better, since they lost one less game. Picking out 3 teams and saying they are the only ones the Sox beat is cherry picking stats (or as you call them, "facts" :rolleyes:), and not a very good job at that.

KC- 3 game sweep
Angels- 4 game sweep
Texas- 2 of 3
Seattle- 4 game sweep
(no order, and with some losses thrown in there)

I don't know how many teams you think the Sox play a month, but dominating a few teams equals a lot of wins. It's the exact same thing they did against the interleague teams. So a few teams beat us? Did you watch the games? The Sox weren't outplayed, they played like crap. The Sox are 3 (large) blown-saves away from being tied for first. Interleague may have helped get the Sox where they are, but without dominating an equal amount of AL teams, the Sox would be out of it right now. Nice try. Just accept we are watching a different Sox team right now, and just hope the good one shows up down the stretch.

october23sp
08-16-2010, 08:35 AM
I predict that Danks will carry us to a win tonight and somehow we'll win one of the next two. :smile: If we lose more ground in this series...well, I just don't want to think about that. :(:

If we somehow play tonight I'll be amazed.

Foulke You
08-16-2010, 10:51 AM
We have the pitchers to keep us in all three games but it is going to come down to whether our bats show up for this series. We need our leaders like Rios, Konerko, and Quentin to set the tone. Winning game 1 would be a huge confidence boost for the Sox.

kobo
08-16-2010, 11:10 AM
The results of this poll just add weight to how Sox fans are perceived by fans of other teams. I spent the weekend hanging out with a group of Twins fans and was asked why so many Sox fans are always predicting the worst and so down on the team. The only answer I could come up with is that Sox fans are more pessimistic rather than optimistic. Which is a shame, because this team played great baseball for about 7 weeks and have entered into a slump, and so of course everyone around here is declaring the season over. I think they will take 2 of 3 from the Twins and be right back in this thing. Nothing is going to be decided for several more weeks. It's going to be a battle, but I'm not giving up.

Red Barchetta
08-16-2010, 11:49 AM
The results of this poll just add weight to how Sox fans are perceived by fans of other teams. I spent the weekend hanging out with a group of Twins fans and was asked why so many Sox fans are always predicting the worst and so down on the team. The only answer I could come up with is that Sox fans are more pessimistic rather than optimistic. Which is a shame, because this team played great baseball for about 7 weeks and have entered into a slump, and so of course everyone around here is declaring the season over. I think they will take 2 of 3 from the Twins and be right back in this thing. Nothing is going to be decided for several more weeks. It's going to be a battle, but I'm not giving up.

I agree. I really wish the team would develop a nice chip on their shoulder when it comes to playing in Minneapolis. We need 2 of 3 to stay in this thing!

beasly213
08-16-2010, 11:50 AM
The way this year is going I see the Sox sweeping in Minnesota. WSI will be a jumping for joy talking about making it to the World Series etc.

The Sox will then go to KC lose 2 out of three and WSI will declare the season over.

arKnaD7
08-16-2010, 12:07 PM
The Sox will score against Baker. Liriano hasn't been sharp his last 2 outings. Pavano has ....uhhhhh...a nice mustache.

That being said, i have the Sox winning 2 of 3

Nelfox02
08-16-2010, 12:37 PM
The Sox will score against Baker. Liriano hasn't been sharp his last 2 outings. Pavano has ....uhhhhh...a nice mustache.

hope you are right here........just one more win makes a huge difference, think about how much easier it is to make up 2 games compared to 4 in the standings when you are not playing head to head for awhile.....

fingers crossed, hope the off day helps

october23sp
08-16-2010, 12:51 PM

Pavano is a stud this year.

mzh
08-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Pavano is a stud this year.
I think the mustache freezes batters where they stand, which explains his recent success. At some point Carl Pavano will realize that he is in fact Carl Pavano, and will once again be a mediocre pitcher.

october23sp
08-16-2010, 12:56 PM
I think the mustache freezes batters where they stand, which explains his recent success. At some point Carl Pavano will realize that he is in fact Carl Pavano, and will once again be a mediocre pitcher.

This week seems like a good time for that to happen.

arKnaD7
08-16-2010, 01:34 PM
This week seems like a good time for that to happen.

I was going to put that he was due for a bad start, but he hasn't had one since mid-May so I figured that was unlikley. Buehlre needs to be sharp that game.

theamb
08-16-2010, 01:53 PM

Pavano pitched fairly well last season too.

Especially against Detroit, which helped Minnesota get into the playoff game and the eventual ALDS.

BadBobbyJenks
08-16-2010, 02:21 PM
I have faith we will win any game Danks is out there. Everything else not so much.

GoGoCrede
08-16-2010, 02:24 PM
I have faith we will win any game Danks is out there. Everything else not so much.

*cough* Floyd too *cough* :D:

downstairs
08-16-2010, 02:27 PM
There's no valid reason beyond mere hope to think the Sox will take two or three. I gotta go with one win, 4 back.

That doesn't kill our season. A sweep may- because it proves we just can't beat the Twins this year.

This last homestand was such a bummer. Ugh.

soxfanreggie
08-16-2010, 03:05 PM
If we somehow play tonight I'll be amazed.

That's what happens when you have a desk full of work while thinking about the Sox. :D: Although if we could convince MLB to switch the game to tonight and not tell the Twins...:wink:

delben91
08-16-2010, 04:01 PM
*cough* Floyd too *cough* :D:

Gavin wasn't exactly stellar his last time out there...

That said, I bet Gavin comes back big this week.

WhiteSox5187
08-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Gavin wasn't exactly stellar his last time out there...

That said, I bet Gavin comes back big this week.

I think Gavin was good but he was out there for awhile and threw a real bad 0-2 pitch.

EDIT: I shouldn't say fantastic because he wasn't really now that I think about it, but it was a really gutsy performance by him and he just threw that one bad pitch that killed his line.

tony1972
08-16-2010, 04:04 PM
This series will determine a lot about the season.

One win this series and 8 sac bunts (8 free outs to the Twins pitching)..this series....

delben91
08-16-2010, 04:05 PM
I think Gavin was good but he was out there for awhile and threw a real bad 0-2 pitch.

EDIT: I shouldn't say fantastic because he wasn't really now that I think about it, but it was a really gutsy performance by him and he just threw that one bad pitch that killed his line.

Point taken. I'll admit I didn't see the game and based this on the boxscore (buyer beward on that front).

I guess what I was getting at was it clearly wasn't at the level we'd come to expect from Gavin over his last 10 starts or so. I bet he gets back to that fantastic level this week.

Soxman219
08-16-2010, 08:24 PM
It'll be a miracle if the sox sweep the twins in target field

Quentin08
08-16-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm just worried about tomorrow night. One game at a time. Tomorrow night's the biggest game of the series. If the Sox can somehow win tomorrow night, I like their chances of taking 2 or 3. I'm more nervous about tomorrow night's game than any game so far this season.. last time I was this nervous was the blackout game in '08.

Foulke You
08-17-2010, 12:29 AM
It'll be a miracle if the sox sweep the twins in target field
The last time the Sox swept a 3 game series in Minnesota was in June of 2004.

october23sp
08-17-2010, 12:39 AM
The last time the Sox swept a 3 game series in Minnesota was in June of 2004.

Guess who attended that series? Guess who will (probably) be at this series?

LoveYourSuit
08-17-2010, 12:40 AM
Take 2 of 3 and we are still in good shape to compete to the end.

The Danks game is a must for us to win, it's our only favorable pitching match up. We then have to steal one of the other two games.

LoveYourSuit
08-17-2010, 12:41 AM
Guess who attended that series? Guess who will (probably) be at this series?

You haven't gone to any Sox vs Twins games in between?

october23sp
08-17-2010, 01:08 AM
You haven't gone to any Sox vs Twins games in between?

No.

Sox @ Twins, June 30th, July 1st 2004.
Red Sox @ White Sox, July 21-23, 2005
Indians @ White Sox, July 7-9, 2009
White Sox @ Twins, August 18-19, 2010.

List of Sox games I've attended.

harwar
08-17-2010, 05:46 AM
I fully expect the White Sox to play well and win at least two games .. three low-scoring games that have a playoff type atmosphere

dwitt76
08-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Just listened to Cowley on the score, he said if they dont win the series, season is over. So this is what it has come down to, the sox must win a series in Minnesota to stay alive. :whiteflag:I am already calling it. I have watched this team the last 10 yrs to know that it wont happen.

hawkjt
08-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Cowley has declared ''The Sox are Dead'' at least 3 times this year...so what nu? Cowley is Mariotti-lite. I am not surprised that AJ,his former buddy, has now shunned him. He basically calls the Sox cowards,and mentally weak every day now.
Of course, Cowley is a Minnesota native,and has been up there since Friday,so of course he is right on top of the current mood of the clubhouse...not.

DrCrawdad
08-17-2010, 08:31 AM
I'm going to be obnoxiously cheerful/arrogant and say we'll be 0 games back. :gulp:

The Spring Sox Offense has returned. The Sox face the Twins best pitchers. In my pessimistic heart I expect the worst. In spite of that though I'll put on my brave face (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9euXUhEGj2w&feature=related) and ...

http://static.open.salon.com/files/pollyanna1236583686.jpg
Sox sweep the Twins!

russ99
08-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Man I hope we win tonight. The level of quitting, whining and finger-pointing on WSI is near an all-time level.

Tonight's key. Danks needs to turn out a typical solid effort tonight, and we need to score enough to win. Then we need to take one of the remaining 2 games.

I'd also love to see us knock around Pavano on Wednesday, he's due for a bad outing.

GoGoCrede
08-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Just listened to Cowley on the score, he said if they dont win the series, season is over. So this is what it has come down to, the sox must win a series in Minnesota to stay alive. :whiteflag:I am already calling it. I have watched this team the last 10 yrs to know that it wont happen.

Cowley needs to do us all a favor and go cover some high school baseball team way out in the middle of nowhere.

VMSNS
08-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Cowley said on the Score this morning that we need to at least win this series against Minnesota, or else our season is pretty much done with. For once, I might actually agree with him.

sox1970
08-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Cowley said on the Score this morning that we need to at least win this series against Minnesota, or else our season is pretty much done with. For once, I might actually agree with him.

I think it's pretty obvious that if the Sox don't win 4 of 6 against the Twins, it's going to be very, very tough to win the division. A split means the Sox have to be 3 games better over 38 games in which the Twins have an easier schedule. Gotta win now.