PDA

View Full Version : Can the Twins maintain their pace?

delben91
08-15-2010, 12:35 PM
16-4 in their last 20. That's .800 ball. Can they keep that up the last 5-6 weeks of the season?

I can see them maintaining .550, but don't think any team can keep up .800 winning percentage from basically the last week of July through the end of the season. And if somehow the Twins do play that well the rest of the way, not much you can do but "tip your cap."

Question is, will the Sox be there to take advantage when Minnesota does lose a few (or in the case of next week, cause them to lose a few)?

Foulke You
08-15-2010, 12:41 PM
The Sox were playing .800 ball too for a while and things finally had to settle down. The pace is pretty much unsustainable. I also think the Twins are getting a lot more out of stiffs like Slowey and Duensing than they probably should be getting and this will correct itself. As you said though, if they do manage to play .800 the rest of the way, you "tip your cap" to them and watch them get beaten by the Yankees in the first round yet again.

oeo
08-15-2010, 12:51 PM
16-4 in their last 20. That's .800 ball. Can they keep that up the last 5-6 weeks of the season?

I can see them maintaining .550, but don't think any team can keep up .800 winning percentage from basically the last week of July through the end of the season. And if somehow the Twins do play that well the rest of the way, not much you can do but "tip your cap."

Question is, will the Sox be there to take advantage when Minnesota does lose a few (or in the case of next week, cause them to lose a few)?

The answer is, no they can't, but the Sox need to start playing better and stop giving games away. I'm actually happy they're playing well now, means they probably won't be a month from now when it really matters.

Stay close, if they can somehow win the series this week, Sox will be in good shape. If things go poorly, I'm hoping and praying they don't go into a complete tailspin like they usually do around this time when things don't go their way.

The Sox were playing .800 ball too for a while and things finally had to settle down. The pace is pretty much unsustainable. I also think the Twins are getting a lot more out of stiffs like Slowey and Duensing than they probably should be getting and this will correct itself. As you said though, if they do manage to play .800 the rest of the way, you "tip your cap" to them and watch them get beaten by the Yankees in the first round yet again.

Pavano would be the guy I'd worry about the most if I were the Twins in terms of regressing to the mean. Maybe it's just one of those years, but here's a guy with a history of injuries and at the age of 34 having one of his best seasons ever. He's been the consistent guy at the top of their rotation. Liriano, while good, is still having some complete stinkers here and there.

DirtySox
08-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Nope, but they are a good team. I thought they were better than the Sox at the start of the season and continue to feel that way.

Red Barchetta
08-15-2010, 12:57 PM
The current Twin regime that we have all grown to hate seems to always get better as the season progresses. They usually play at least .500 ball during the first 1/3 of the season and then steadily improve. This year is no different than the rest. They will be there to the end. We need to win games (like the one we lost last night) in order to stay close. We can't expect them to lose and we need to win series in head-to-head competition. They literally seem to have the ball bouncing their way this season (or least hitting light catwalks) so we need to stay close while they enjoy their hot streak and hopefully have one good long streak left in us in order to overtake them.

I would really like to see the SOX get more of a killer instinct going into Minneapolis this week instead of the "hope we can win 1 or 2 games up there" attitude. The dome is gone and the Twins apparently do not like hitting in their new ballpark. Let's take it to them! Win today (Sunday), get a day off and take back the division! I guarantee there will be a different attitude in the clubhouse if they go on a 4-game winning streak starting today!

thomas35forever
08-15-2010, 02:21 PM
No. Teams rarely maintain hot streaks for very extended periods of time as we just saw with the Sox. This Twins team will cool off eventually. They just got hot at a bad time for us.

WhiteSox5187
08-15-2010, 02:36 PM
They won't play .800 ball here on out, but it's not inconceivable that they play .600 ball to close out the year.

JermaineDye05
08-15-2010, 03:27 PM
No, we couldn't keep ours up. Neither can they. They'll fall back to earth and something tells me it will be against us.

thomas35forever
08-15-2010, 03:29 PM
No, we couldn't keep ours up. Neither can they. They'll fall back to earth and something tells me it will be against us.
Please be right.:praying:

Our hot streak basically ended against them, so maybe what goes around comes around.

SoxSpeed22
08-15-2010, 03:47 PM
I have a hard time seeing them continue this pace.
But if worst comes to worst, they will be playing .000 ball in October.

thomas35forever
08-15-2010, 03:52 PM
But if worst comes to worst, they will be playing .000 ball in October.
That's what's always comforting about the Twinkies winning the division. You can always count on them to win at that pace in that month.

theamb
08-15-2010, 04:14 PM

I don't see why Minnesota can't continue. And I believe they have done it without Morneau(who I don't know if he is coming back).

They always seem to be a second half team.

The Sox had an unreal run themself before they have finally started to fall back to earth

delben91
08-15-2010, 07:55 PM
I don't see why Minnesota can't continue. And I believe they have done it without Morneau(who I don't know if he is coming back).

They always seem to be a second half team.

The Sox had an unreal run themself before they have finally started to fall back to earth

Just curious, anyone know of a way to find out if any team has played .800 ball over a 9-10 week period to end a season?

WhiteSox5187
08-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Just curious, anyone know of a way to find out if any team has played .800 ball over a 9-10 week period to end a season?

I haven't looked it up, but how about the '07 Rockies?

Rdy2PlayBall
08-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Haha, no. I truly believe they will lose a bunch again. Their pitching staff is overachieving, and hitters will slump. There is plenty of time for them to lost some games. Hopefully the Sox can win while the Twins lose. It's going to be hard if they are 6 back though.

GoGoCrede
08-15-2010, 09:03 PM
No.

DumpJerry
08-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Of course they can maintain this pace. All good baseball teams do.

Lip Man 1
08-15-2010, 09:08 PM
On July 31, 1983 the Sox were 53-48. They ended the year at 99-63.

That means they went 46-15 the final eight weeks, a .754 pace.

Lip

getonbckthr
08-15-2010, 09:15 PM
If Minnesota plays 1.000 ball over the next 3 games it won't matter what happens.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-15-2010, 09:32 PM
If Minnesota plays 1.000 ball over the next 3 games it won't matter what happens.Huh? So they could play .000 ball the rest of the season and it still wouldn't matter?

Hitmen77
08-17-2010, 09:10 PM

They don't have to. Unless our team starts playing better, the Twins can coast to the playoffs playing a little better than .500.

gogosox675
08-17-2010, 09:36 PM
On July 31, 1983 the Sox were 53-48. They ended the year at 99-63.

That means they went 46-15 the final eight weeks, a .754 pace.

Lip

If that '83 team couldn't maintain a .800 pace, there's no way this year's Twins team can.

WhiteSox5187
08-18-2010, 12:26 AM
The problem is right now they don't have to play .800 ball to win the division, if they play .500 they'll win. Even if we do start turning it around, they still might be capable of playing .600 ball.

ewokpelts
08-18-2010, 08:48 AM

Question is, will the Sox be there to take advantage when Minnesota does lose a few (or in the case of next week, cause them to lose a few)?they have 5 more games against the sox. it's going to be a cakewalk to win the al central at this point.

WhiteSox1989
08-18-2010, 09:30 AM
No. The Sox are going to win the division.