PDA

View Full Version : Danks Contract Status

JermaineDye05
08-14-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm just curious what's the status on Danks right now?

I remember during the 2009 (I believe) ST that he, Gavin, and Carlos were offered four year extensions with fairly decent money. However, Gavin was the only one to accept.

Looking at Danks' numbers right now he's 12-8 with a 3.19 ERA with probably about 10 starts left to go. Given that he doesn't have a significant injury or he and/or the offense don't literally fall off the planet, one could assume that he will at the very least get two more wins this season. If that is the case it would put him at 14 wins which would once again be a new career high.

Since his debut in 2007, it just seems like he's gotten better and better.

I'm still of the belief that Danks has yet to reach his ceiling which IMO is an ace. I've said it almost every year but I feel that next year will be his breakout year where he solidifies himself as the ace (or one of the aces) of this staff. Certainly this year and 2008 were years where he could have done that, but he just hasn't had the offense to back him.

I'd really like to see the Sox finally lock him up this offseason.

SoxSpeed22
08-14-2010, 03:52 PM
I would like to see him be a little more consistent before locking him up, but I think that 3 years/ $18 million is reasonable, even if it is more than Floyd's making, Danks hasn't had any injuries.
Jackson is going to get a raise this offseason, so that might be taken into account.

Ranger
08-14-2010, 03:54 PM
I would like to see him be a little more consistent before locking him up, but I think that 3 years/ $18 million is reasonable, even if it is more than Floyd's making, Danks hasn't had any injuries.
Jackson is going to get a raise this offseason, so that might be taken into account.

A little more consistent? What in the world are you looking for?

Rdy2PlayBall
08-14-2010, 03:56 PM
A little more consistent? What in the world are you looking for?If the guy doesn't go 8 innings of 2-hit baseball every outing... he's not worth it. Why is that so confusing? :scratch:

Coops4Aces
08-14-2010, 04:30 PM

I've called him consistently inconsistent in the past. He needs to cut out his flat out bad games that he throws in once a month. Not that I'm complaining :cool:

Harry Potter
08-14-2010, 05:24 PM

A raise from the $8.35M we already owe Edwin for 2011? :scratch:

Zisk77
08-14-2010, 05:38 PM

I think people see the 8 losses and remember a clunker or two and think he is inconsistent. I don't think people realize that like 5 of John's losses resemble the no decision he had against Balt. where we could only muster 1 run. Danks has been a tough luck pitcher throughout his short sox career.

On a side note ranger (assuming this is Chris Rongey), I taught your cousin a few years back here in Edwardsville, he had nice things to say about you.:wink:

tsoxman
08-14-2010, 05:52 PM
You're kidding, right? If you waited that long, he would either be too expensive to sign, or would be close enouh to free agency taht he would take his chance on the open market. He may be at that point already.

SoxSpeed22
08-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Danks has done a great job this season. If he can cut some bad innings, then he can be an All-Star. The consistency I meant was by him getting in trouble in one inning. He can be lights out for 5 innings, but have one bad inning in there somewhere. He's great for our rotation now, and if we let him get away, someone else will pay him a lot. So we need to lock him up.
The raise I meant for Jackson was the $8 million left on his contract. He's only making $4 million now.

canOcorn
08-15-2010, 01:42 AM
Looking at Danks' numbers right now he's 12-8 with a 3.19 ERA with probably about 10 starts left to go. Given that he doesn't have a significant injury or he and/or the offense don't literally fall off the planet, one could assume that he will at the very least get two more wins this season. If that is the case it would put him at 14 wins which would once again be a new career high.

Since his debut in 2007, it just seems like he's gotten better and better.

I'm still of the belief that Danks has yet to reach his ceiling which IMO is an ace. I've said it almost every year but I feel that next year will be his breakout year where he solidifies himself as the ace (or one of the aces) of this staff. Certainly this year and 2008 were years where he could have done that, but he just hasn't had the offense to back him.

I'd really like to see the Sox finally lock him up this offseason.

And that's probably what his agent is telling him and that's why he's going to want a large premium to buyout his last two years of arbitration and and any of his free agent years. You're talking $30M+ to buyout his next 3 years with, maybe a team option, at well over $10M/year.

russ99
08-15-2010, 09:28 AM
And that's probably what his agent is telling him and that's why he's going to want a large premium to buyout his last two years of arbitration and and any of his free agent years. You're talking $30M+ to buyout his next 3 years with, maybe a team option, at well over $10M/year.

That's my thought as well, and since he'll only get a modest bump to his salary ($5.5M tops) once numbers are exchanged before arbitration, the Sox have no reason to overpay him at this point, especially since he has shown no inclination of giving the Sox any kind of discount to lock down multiple years.

I don't expect the Sox to do anything with Danks until after Buehrle and Peavy's big salaries are either reduced or off the books. Buehrle is signed through next year, Peavy through '12 with an insane $22M option (that probably will be bought out for $4) for '13.

Tragg
08-15-2010, 10:50 AM
I would like to see him be a little more consistent before locking him up, but I think that 3 years/ $18 million is reasonable, even if it is more than Floyd's making, Danks hasn't had any injuries..
That's awfully light. Floyd's making less, but Floyd took the "bird in the hand". Danks didn't sign that deal, taking the risk he could get a bigger payday, and, so far, it looks like he made the right call.