PDA

View Full Version : Paulie the new Frank?

Garrison
06-25-2002, 11:23 PM
Has Paul Konerko become the new Frank Thomas (of old)? Paul is the man now in our lineup. Consistency, clutch hits, loads of RBIs, leading the team in homers, everything that Frank used to do when he was the "Frank of old". I think I see a sort of changing of the guard here. Slowly Paulie has come into his own and really blossomed. He's been consistenly good while Frank has fallen off. Blame injury or tinkering, whatever, but Frank isn't the same. I think that Paulie has taken over his old role. This is just my observation. Any comments guys?

WinningUgly!
06-26-2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Garrison
Has Paul Konerko become the new Frank Thomas (of old)? Paul is the man now in our lineup. Consistency, clutch hits, loads of RBIs, leading the team in homers, everything that Frank used to do when he was the "Frank of old". I think I see a sort of changing of the guard here. Slowly Paulie has come into his own and really blossomed. He's been consistenly good while Frank has fallen off. Blame injury or tinkering, whatever, but Frank isn't the same. I think that Paulie has taken over his old role. This is just my observation. Any comments guys?

PK has really turned into the type of player that can carry a team on his back. Frank might still be one of the best DH's in the game, but his days of "carrying" us seem to be over.

MattSharp
06-26-2002, 12:16 AM
Very good comments. I actually said when the Sox got this guy a few years ago to look out, cause he would be something.

I know Eric Karros is having a good year, but I bet the Dodgers wish they still had Paulie.

He is the man, and he is gonna be the man until the Sox are dumb enough to let him get away....

Daver
06-26-2002, 12:20 AM
I'll be impressed when he can put up the numbers Frank put up,till then he is not the second coming.

KVinc
06-26-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by daver
I'll be impressed when he can put up the numbers Frank put up,till then he is not the second coming.

Word. Konerko still swings at the first pitch in clutch innings like when we are down by one and facing closers. i THINK at best konerko is a .290-.300 45 hr player wit 70 walks and 90-100 k's a season. I dont see Konerko staying a .330 hitter

Randar68
06-26-2002, 12:27 AM

I agree. When Paulie is able to put up the OBP and power numbers Franks has in the past, I'll be impressed.

Through tonight's game:
Konerko: .375 OBP, .931 OPS, .329 avg. (21 walks)
Thomas: .347 OBP, .819 OPS, .352 avg. (37 walks)

As impressive as Paul has been, and it has been a career year thus far by a long shot, his numbers outside of average are only a little better than Frank in what has been a VERY poor year.

In 1994. Frank Thomas did this:
.487 OBP, 1.216 OPS, .353 avg.

In what has been a great year for Konerko, he is miles away from Frank.

34rancher
06-26-2002, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by MattSharp
Very good comments. I actually said when the Sox got this guy a few years ago to look out, cause he would be something.

I know Eric Karros is having a good year, but I bet the Dodgers wish they still had Paulie.

He is the man, and he is gonna be the man until the Sox are dumb enough to let him get away....

And to think that teh Chicago media tried to say that the Konerko/ Cameron trade was a bust for the White Sox after Mike's One Big night this year. Have you seen what he has done since? I will take the Walnuts over Mike anyday.

Mathew
06-26-2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by 34rancher

And to think that teh Chicago media tried to say that the Konerko/ Cameron trade was a bust for the White Sox after Mike's One Big night this year. Have you seen what he has done since? I will take the Walnuts over Mike anyday.

Most people on this board agreed with them. :angry:

Daver
06-26-2002, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Mathew

Most people on this board agreed with them. :angry:

I think you need to research that.

Mathew
06-26-2002, 01:12 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10148&pagenumber=1

Perhaps I should withdraw and say many agreed, there were other threads, but I should think that many of the doubters have changed their tune by now anyway so I wouldn't read much into it either way.

dougs78
06-26-2002, 09:36 AM
I'm going to have to agree with Daver et al. here. While I am a HUGE PK fan and I am thrilled with how well hes hitting this year. In fact I do think this is somewhat indicative of how good he actually is and will be over the long haul. But to compare him to Frank Thomas is a slight to big Frank. You must not be able to recall how good Thomas actually was. If PK keeps up these stats for 12 years then I'd say we are talking about a John Olerud/Mark Grace type career. However Frank Thomas is in the category of the all-time greats of the game.

I mean I HOPE that PK can someday even be mentioned in the same breath as Thomas, but that time is certainly not now.

TheBigHurt
06-26-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

In what has been a great year for Konerko, he is miles away from Frank.

He is miles away but he has the ability to be as good as Frank.

34 Inch Stick
06-26-2002, 09:48 AM
He is not the new Frank Thomas but he is also better than John Olerud/Mark Grace. He has more power than either of those two at any point in their careers and will drive in more runs.

MattSharp
06-26-2002, 07:11 PM

I think you need to research that.

I can't believe people would rather have Cameron than Konerko. Cameron is a great fielder but a lousy hitter. I think Rowand is as good if not better of a fielder, and has still yet to be given a good chance at the plate.

And lets not forget that LTP is on the horizon and should be 10 times a better hitter than Cameron is. Paulie could be in the hunt for MVP, and he is by far the best hitter on the team right now.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion....

Nellie_Fox
06-27-2002, 03:03 AM
And lets not forget that LTP is on the horizon and should be 10 times a better hitter than Cameron is. I don't know much about Borchard, but I smell another Ron Kittle.

It was funny tonight on the Twins broadcast of the game, a trivia question was "name the two White Sox players with 40 home run seasons." Of course the answer was Frank Thomas and Albert Belle. Bert Blyleven said "I was sure one of them was Ron Kittle. He owned me. He hit ten a year off me."

Randar68
06-27-2002, 11:54 AM
I can't believe people would rather have Cameron than Konerko. Cameron is a great fielder but a lousy hitter. I think Rowand is as good if not better of a fielder, and has still yet to be given a good chance at the plate.

Rowand as good defensively as Cameron?????

Man, we need to start a FOR club. This is getting rediculous!

SoxxoS
06-27-2002, 12:14 PM

Mike Cameron is a gold glove CF. Rowand will never be, even with the chance. He doesn't have the speed or athletic ability defensively of a Mike Cameron. Brian Simmons was the closest thing defensively we had to Mike Cameron. Speaking of which, where is Brian Simmons?