08-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Where was Gene Honda tonight?:scratch:

zwT6L5v9vDc

GoGoCrede
08-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Ugly.

Lip Man 1
08-12-2010, 10:20 PM
2-10 RISP. We've seen these type numbers a lot the past week. Shades of April and May.

What are you gonna do?

Lip

WhiteSox5187
08-12-2010, 10:21 PM
That's the worst loss of the season. If the Sox want to win the division they are going to have to figure out how to beat the Twins. If they don't beat the Twins, they won't win the division. Simple as that.

JermaineDye05
Ugly.

You just contradicted the thread title. :redneck

It's a slump. It happens. We still have more with Minnesota. This is far from the end.

Domeshot17
****ty Pitching + ****ty Offense + ****ty Defense + ****ty Managing = Loss.

This was really a truly gutless, mentally weak performance.

Blueprint1
2-10 RISP. We've seen these type numbers a lot the past week. Shades of April and May.

What are you gonna do?

Lip

Yep, just like April and May in August so far.

GoGoCrede

He took the night off, along with rest of the offense.

SoxSpeed22
Leaving 10+ stranded and bad defensive mistakes call for some bad 80s music.
zwyLOkbO5nw

WhiteSox5187
08-12-2010, 10:22 PM

What are you gonna do?

Lip

Really it shouldn't have been close by the time Kubel hit that HR.

voodoochile

Great title, thanks for being first...

1 game back, 47 to play. Not great, but it could be a lot worse.

Liriano's change was just nasty biting when he needed it to be. Had plenty of chances, but could not get it done.

cleanwsox
Pooped our pants when they could have given the Twins a punch to the stomach. Story of the last decade.

Boondock Saint
This is one that I hope to delete from the memory bank ASAP.

JermaineDye05
That's the worst loss of the season. If the Sox want to win the division they are going to have to figure out how to beat the Twins. If they don't beat the Twins, they won't win the division. Simple as that.

I'd argue that every loss to Mitch Talbot was the worst loss of the season.

Actually that loss IN Minnesota where Bobby blew it was probably the worst loss all season.

That Toronto one on Mother's Day was pretty horrible as well.

Brian26
That's the worst loss of the season.

Worse than the Jenks meltdown three Sundays ago? Not even close.

voodoochile
08-12-2010, 10:23 PM
****ty Pitching + ****ty Offense + ****ty Defense + ****ty Managing = Loss.

This was really a truly gutless, mentally weak performance.

Feel better now?

I'm out, have a great post game thread folks.

JB98
Had the right guys at the plate in that fifth inning. Didn't get it done.

Ozzie left Floyd in one batter too long.

Red Barchetta
The SOX simply plus play better within the division. That is the majority of our games the rest of the way.

LoveYourSuit
Maybe the offense is not as good as it looked in June/July?

zwT6L5v9vDc

Even amongst all the bases loaded squanders and mental mistakes, this was real tragedy from tonight

GoGoCrede
08-12-2010, 10:24 PM
This is one that I hope to delete from the memory bank ASAP.

:lol:

Sadly, I can think of worse losses this year.

WhiteSox5187
Worse than the Jenks meltdown three Sundays ago? Not even close.

True, I have tried so hard to forget about that loss.

GoGoCrede
Feel better now?

Did you see the gamethread? :redneck (I admit, I was one of those who was flipping out)

arKnaD7
08-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Contrary to popular belief, the season is not over. 47 games left

Domeshot17
Feel better now?

No, I don't. I am not saying the season is over, but in the biggest game of the season, the entire team and the manager did not bother to show up. The only respectable part of the team tonight was the bullpen.

If you can't get up for a game like this later in the season, I don't know what the team will get up for.

WhiteSox5187
Had the right guys at the plate in that fifth inning. Didn't get it done.

Ozzie left Floyd in one batter too long.

I'd tend to agree, but God, he had Kubel 0-2 and just made a really bad pitch.

GoGoCrede
08-12-2010, 10:26 PM

Yep. All we can do is proceed to manhandle the Tigers. It can be done. Luckily, the team is pretty resilient.

LoveYourSuit
Great title, thanks for being first...

1 game back, 47 to play. Not great, but it could be a lot worse.

Liriano's change was just nasty biting when he needed it to be. Had plenty of chances, but could not get it done.

Did you watch the game :scratch:

He was Fastball and Slider all game long.

Not too many Change ups.

The slider ate these guys alive. Down and in. It was a clinic.

tdwiek
Loaded bases, no outs, heart of the lineup (Rios, Konerko, Quentin), and how many runs do we produce.... BIG FAT ZERO!! Next inning, bases loaded with 1 out.... SAME THING. Sick to my stomach!!

soltrain21
Tough game. Offense needs to wake up. Dust yourself off and let's win this thing.

WhiteSox5187
08-12-2010, 10:27 PM

Here's the thing, the season isn't over but we HAVE to figure out how to beat Minnesota. If we can't beat Minnesota we are not going to win this division.

LoveYourSuit

Gavin was hanging his curve that inning. It was due for someone to kill one and Kubel did.

Not that it matters.

The offense lost the game. Gavin and Ozzie had nothing to do with it.

JB98
No, I don't. I am not saying the season is over, but in the biggest game of the season, the entire team and the manager did not bother to show up. The only respectable part of the team tonight was the bullpen.

If you can't get up for a game like this later in the season, I don't know what the team will get up for.

It's not a matter of not being "up." It's a matter of execution. The Sox were flawless in their execution last night. Tonight, it was the opposite. Pretty poor in multiple areas.

Last night, the Sox were very opportunistic. Tonight, chance after chance went by the boards. If they had generated no scoring chances, I might agree that they were not "up" for the game. But I do not think that was the case.

It was more bad play than a lack of intensity, IMO.

soltrain21
08-12-2010, 10:28 PM

I don't get this "biggest game of the season" bull****. We play them again in like three days. And then have 40 games left after that.

Domeshot17
Here's the thing, the season isn't over but we HAVE to figure out how to beat Minnesota. If we can't beat Minnesota we are not going to win this division.

The thing I don't get is.... When we laid an egg in Baltimore all I heard was "Doesn't matter its all about how we play the Twins". Now its "Doesn't matter how we play the Twins, just gotta play everyone else".

Maybe we just should stop losing games we should win.

Tragg
Outplayed, out-executed, and out-coached by the Twins.
The Twins have far more talent on offense....
But the Sox have a happy and respectful clubhouse.

LoveYourSuit

Where are you getting this bull **** from? :rolleyes:

No one has said the season is over, not one person on this thread.

WhiteSox5187
08-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Did you watch the game :scratch:

He was Fastball and Slider all game long.

Not too many Change ups.

The slider ate these guys alive. Down and in. It was a clinic.

The 5th inning was the offense putting too much pressure on themselves. As soon as Konerko swung at that first pitch (a pitch he was taking earlier) that AB was effectively over. Quentin battled at least. I didn't see Pierre or Alexei's AB in the sixth.

GoGoCrede
But the Sox have a happy and respectful clubhouse.

This joke is getting worn down, methinks? Not that I think Kotsay should be DH-ing, mind you.

Boondock Saint

Yep. This is what bothers me so much about the "Well, there just went the season" and "If we don't do this, the season is over" kind of posts. We came back from being nearly ten games out to be in this position. Back in May, we all would have given a limb to be in the position we are in today.

It's incredible how quickly people forget.

Boondock Saint
08-12-2010, 10:31 PM

We won the division in '08 after getting swept by the Twins in the last week of the season.

WhiteSox5187
08-12-2010, 10:31 PM
It's not a matter of not being "up." It's a matter of execution. The Sox were flawless in their execution last night. Tonight, it was the opposite. Pretty poor in multiple areas.

Last night, the Sox were very opportunistic. Tonight, chance after chance went by the boards. If they had generated no scoring chances, I might agree that they were not "up" for the game. But I do not think that was the case.

It was more bad play than a lack of intensity, IMO.

The fifth inning was a case of the offense being too intense. If Konerko was a little more patient who knows what would have happened, but swinging at that slider that was almost a wild pitch hurt the whole AB and changed the whole inning. Rios not getting the ball past the pitcher didn't help matters much either.

soxlady8
08-12-2010, 10:32 PM
WE may have LOST the BATTLE ... But WE have not LOST the WAR!!!

JB98

It was a terrible pitch, but a guy who has thrown 125 of them up to home plate is more likely to make a mistake than a guy who is fresh.

Ah, well. That HR took the Sox out of the game, but it was the missed chances on offense that lost it tonight.

GoGoCrede
We won the division in '08 after getting swept by the Twins in the last week of the season.

Yeah, I had successfully blocked that from memory. Thanks. :whiner:

GoGoCrede
08-12-2010, 10:33 PM
WE may have LOST the BATTLE ... But WE have not LOST the WAR!!!

Amen. I'm hoping the sting of this loss lights a fire under our boys.

WhiteSox5187
08-12-2010, 10:33 PM

But we beat them in game 163 on a coin flip, right now we can't even beat them at home let alone on the road.

LoveYourSuit
08-12-2010, 10:34 PM
This crossed my mind while watching the game:

Watching Liriano make us look foolish with that slider fastball mix, how the hell will we hit CC or Price in game one of the ALDS?

TheOldRoman
08-12-2010, 10:34 PM
This was about the worst game imaginable. Everything went wrong. Gavin was bad, Ozzie was incredibly stupid for leaving in Gavin after he put two on and had thrown 120 pitches, horrible strike calls dramatically changed the course of several ABs for the Sox hitters, and of course the offense was beyond horrible. The "heart of the order" had 5 AB with the bases loaded and the only one of them to hit the ball out of the infield was Juan ****ing Pierre. Konerko's AB was just atrocious, one of the worst you will ever see. Swing at garbage in the dirt, watch a very hittable strike two, swing at strike three in the dirt.

But above and beyond, the Sox were once again embarrassed and got their batters hit. Quentin was drilled AGAIN, and the umpires didn't throw Liriano out immediately. The Sox sat there and ****ing sucked for the next 8 innings, and even though they had long pissed the game away, they still didn't drill Mauer in the ribs in the 9th. Once again, Ozzie was completely school by HBPs. A complete failure of a game.

Boondock Saint
08-12-2010, 10:35 PM
But we beat them in game 163 on a coin flip, right now we can't even beat them at home let alone on the road.

Actually, history shows that we beat them on a Jim Thome HR.

The point is that we've got a ton of games left against teams not named the Twins, and they all count, too. We can lose every single game left against them and still claim the division.

Mizzourah
08-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Well, of course the season is not over, but it is incredible frustrating to see the inconsistencies and missed opportunities by this team.

The happy to be here b.s. Ozzie was spewing before the series is tripe and the lack of a DH is killing them in this serious. Hope Kenny makes a move.

Floyd deserved better. Hated seeing him throw 125 pitches.

JB98
08-12-2010, 10:36 PM

Watching Liriano make us look foolish with that slider fastball mix, how the hell will we hit CC or Price in game one of the ALDS?

Sox have had great success against Price this year. They've beaten him twice, IIRC.

Sabathia has always had the Sox number through the years. Of course, Sabathia is quite good and has beaten a lot of people.

WhiteSox5187
08-12-2010, 10:38 PM

You have to win the division (or the wild card) before you can start worrying about game one of the ALDS.

Woofer
08-12-2010, 10:38 PM
At least we had a victory last night. It's better to be 1 game out of first rather than 3. That's all I've got.

GoGoCrede
08-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Well, of course the season is not over, but it is incredible frustrating to see the inconsistencies and missed opportunities by this team.

The happy to be here b.s. Ozzie was spewing before the series is tripe and the lack of a DH is killing them in this serious. Hope Kenny makes a move.

Floyd deserved better. Hated seeing him throw 125 pitches.

Yeah. He didn't have his best stuff, but we really should have scored more runs for him. I think he gave it his all.

Tragg
08-12-2010, 10:41 PM
This joke is getting worn down, methinks? Not that I think Kotsay should be DH-ing, mind you.
I wish it were a joke. It's enduring, from Erstad, to Wise to Anderson to running off Swisher and Raush...it's about proper respect and "Chemistry".
It's time to let players play and lead and the manager manage and the GM acquire talent.

WhiteSox5187
08-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Actually, history shows that we beat them on a Jim Thome HR.

The point is that we've got a ton of games left against teams not named the Twins, and they all count, too. We can lose every single game left against them and still claim the division.

That's a very dangerous strategy, especially seeing as how we have to play the likes of the Yankees and Boston. Not to mention Cleveland and Baltimore.

JB98
08-12-2010, 10:42 PM
I wish it were a joke. It's enduring, from Erstad, to Wise to Anderson to running off Swisher and Raush...it's about proper respect.
It's time to let players play and lead and the manager manage and the GM acquire talent.

Those two are not missed any more than Erstad, Wise or Anderson are.

GoGoCrede
08-12-2010, 10:43 PM
That's a very dangerous strategy, especially seeing as how we have to play the likes of the Yankees and Boston. Not to mention Cleveland and Baltimore.

I don't think that should be in teal, lol.

TheOldRoman
But the Sox have a happy and respectful clubhouse.They have more talent overall, but the Sox are better at several positions. Meanwhile, the Sox have FAR more talent in the pitching staff. The Twins didn't win 5 of the last 6 against the Sox because they had more talent. One game Garcia was awful, one game Jenks was awful, and the other three losses were on horrible offense. Basically, the Sox blew these games. The "mighty" Twins didn't outclass them.

Boondock Saint

Are you just choosing to miss the point? There's forty games left. No one game, no single series, and no single team is going to decide the division.

DrCrawdad
I'm down. I'm really down. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7dHoEmUtIs)

manders_01
08-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Leaving the bases loaded three times this evening was beyond frustrating. :mad: But as mentioned in the thread title, there's always tomorrow. Let's hope we can take out our frustrations on the Tigers while the Twins get lazy against the A's.

LoveYourSuit
08-12-2010, 10:46 PM
You have to win the division (or the wild card) before you can start worrying about game one of the ALDS.

Did not know that, thanks!

LoveYourSuit
08-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Viciedo = HE GONE

soltrain21
Did not know that, thanks!

:rolling:

WhiteSox5187
Are you just choosing to miss the point? There's forty games left. No one game, no single series, and no single team is going to decide the division.

No, my point is that these forty games are going to be extraordinarily hard and to figure "oh we don't have to beat the Twins!" is an incredibly well...a poor strategy. This team has to start playing better.

Noneck
08-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Viciedo = HE GONE

I was hoping that at this very moment.

Woofer
08-12-2010, 10:50 PM
I'm down. I'm really down. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7dHoEmUtIs)

Love it. Especially the Shea Stadium version of this song.

OmahaSoxFan
08-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Well nothing really to say here except... go get 'em tomorrow boys... the Kittens are coming to town, so let's put them in their place and be ready for another shot at the Twinkies next week (crap, those games will be at Target Field!).

happydude
08-12-2010, 10:51 PM
When a team seems to beat you a lot more than they should, the Royals for instance, but cannot beat anyone else, then it is simply an anomaly.

When another team seems to beat you more than you believe they should, the Twins in this case, but they also beat the teams you beat and usually have an overall record that is similar to yours, then they are better than you.

If we can't beat the Twins then we don't deserve the division or anything else.

LoveYourSuit
08-12-2010, 10:54 PM
By the way, is Jenks done?

It's a serious question. I don't think the Sox can count on him going forward.

WhiteSox5187
08-12-2010, 10:56 PM
By the way, is Jenks done?

It's a serious question. I don't think the Sox can count on him going forward.

That's an interesting question. I hope he can come back and contribute something and then maybe we can trade him.

shingo10
08-12-2010, 10:56 PM
Surprised no one's mentioned (or maybe they have and i've just missed it) the Jenks injury. Seems like we're gonna have to win this thing without him closing. I know he hasn't been great but it's gonna put an extra load on Thornton and Putz.

Nothing real positive tonight other than Sale I guess. Put it behind and win tomorrow.

Brian26
08-12-2010, 10:58 PM
That's an interesting question. I hope he can come back and contribute something and then maybe we can trade him.

Trade him for what, though? He's arbitration eligible at over $8 million. He's a serious DFA guy after the season. KW missed his chance to get rid of Jenks two years ago.

WhiteSox5187
08-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Trade him for what, though? He's arbitration eligible at over $8 million. He's a serious DFA guy after the season. KW missed his chance to get rid of Jenks two years ago.

Trade him for anything you can get. If he can come back and contribute a bit I would suspect someone would want to take a chance on him. If not I suspect he will be non-tendered.

Craig Grebeck
08-12-2010, 11:01 PM
You're right -- he's a classic non-tender guy. Thanks for the memories, Bobby.

DrCrawdad
08-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Love it. Especially the Shea Stadium version of this song.

A jubilant song about being down. John's playing the keyboard with his elbow, brilliant.

Brian26
08-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Trade him for anything you can get. If he can come back and contribute a bit I would suspect someone would want to take a chance on him. If not I suspect he will be non-tendered.

I meant to say non-tendered, BTW. Not, DFA. :redface:

BringHomeDaBacon
08-12-2010, 11:05 PM

Jenks would have fetched quite a haul at one point. Every year, there are teams in contention jonesing for a closer. The Twins just gave up Wilson Ramos for Matt Capps. Now, KW would be lucky to get Ramos' used jockstrap for Jenks.

thomas35forever
08-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Leaving 10+ stranded and bad defensive mistakes call for some bad 80s music.
zwyLOkbO5nw
There's no such thing as bad '80s music.

Sunnydre
08-12-2010, 11:28 PM
I don't know why everyone was talking as if the Sox just needed 1 bat. This team needs 2 or 3 and has for the last 3 to 4 years.

When ever I think about the past couple of years, or Ozzie's tenure; I'm happy for '05, but I can't help but think, "Man what alot of wasted pitching."

VMSNS
08-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Listened to almost the entire game on the radio. Terrible, terrible game. We left the bases loaded, what, THREE times and couldn't score?! And our only run was on what seemed like a freak occurrence accidental infield base hit by AJ. It's time to snap out of this offensive funk, SOX.

It seemed like Gavin pitched a pretty good game. He wasn't as shut-down as usual, but his only real mistake was on his last pitch to Kubel, which left the park after Ozzie decided not to pull him. Although, Farmer made a comment about how every starting pitcher is going to tell you they feel great when you ask them out there, so Ozzie should have had to common sense to pull him, especially with Floyd at 120 pitches.

Is anyone else a little surprise that nothing was done after TCQ was hit AGAIN? Seriously. That's like the 4th or 5th HBP in the past two games. Someone better get drilled the next series against the Twins, and I hope it's either Mauer or Kubel. And, what was up with Bobby? DJ and Farmer didn't really explain on the radio, they just said he was limping.

In the end, we're going to HAVE to find a way to beat the Twins if we want to win this division. Unless the Twins just suffer an epic collapse, the only way to the postseason is through the Twins. And don't forget that they're going to be looking at a huge offensive upgrade when Morneau returns. It's time the Sox suck it up, get serious, and start playing with some conviction. After the magical run we had this summer, I'm going to be really disappointed if we fail to make the postseason, especially if it's because of our atrociously streaky offense that continues to be the problem year after year after year.

CLUBHOUSE KID
08-12-2010, 11:41 PM
The thing I don't get is.... When we laid an egg in Baltimore all I heard was "Doesn't matter its all about how we play the Twins". Now its "Doesn't matter how we play the Twins, just gotta play everyone else".

Maybe we just should stop losing games we should win.

lol exactly

CLUBHOUSE KID
08-12-2010, 11:43 PM
I don't know why everyone was talking as if the Sox just needed 1 bat. This team needs 2 or 3 and has for the last 3 to 4 years.

When ever I think about the past couple of years, or Ozzie's tenure; I'm happy for '05, but I can't help but think, "Man what alot of wasted pitching."

Yeah every year the SP has been good. 2007 GV/JD were settling in. And Garland was eh that year. THE BP WAS A JOKE. But I do agree.

doublem23
08-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Walkerball.

Good night.

slavko
08-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Un-unfire Walker.

LoveYourSuit
08-12-2010, 11:51 PM

This is a good question for Ranger. I could have sworn listening to him during last year's late season post game shows preaching that he heard directly from the front office that there was no way they would waste quality starting pitching for yet another season.

Based on how the team was put together, how it hit in April and May and now here lately, it might be a good time for a Ranger to go do a follow up question to his sources.

hi im skot
08-12-2010, 11:56 PM
-c9wuzo1I5E

"There were no survivors..."

captain54
08-13-2010, 12:09 AM
This is a good question for Ranger. I could have sworn listening to him during last year's late season post game shows preaching that he heard directly from the front office that there was no way they would waste quality starting pitching for yet another season.

Based on how the team was put together, how it hit in April and May and now here lately, it might be a good time for a Ranger to go do a follow up question to his sources.

highly doubt that's gonna happen.....too confrontational for Ranger

hi im skot
08-13-2010, 12:12 AM
highly doubt that's gonna happen.....too confrontational for Ranger

Ah yes, more Ranger hate. Very beneficial.

captain54
08-13-2010, 12:22 AM
Ah yes, more Ranger hate. Very beneficial.

there is nothing hateful about my statement...I made an observation an expressed an opinion....I have no reason to make a hateful statement about the gentleman

ChiSoxGirl
08-13-2010, 12:25 AM
This game was disgusting in every sense of the word. TWELVE runners left on base, including three separate instances of leaving the bases loaded. :puking:

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-13-2010, 12:25 AM

Unfortunately I agree. I have no problem with the Sox getting rid of him, but they better put that money towards re-signing Putz to be the closer. Hopefully they can get something for him.

BainesHOF
08-13-2010, 12:26 AM
Ozzie got outmanaged yet again. Leaving in Floyd to face Kubel was the height of stupidity as was his lame defense of it afterward. That Quentin got hit three times in the last two days and we didn't hit anyone back was pathetic.

Ozzie talks a good game, but he sure doesn't back it up. I'm tired of watching his bad managing. We're a good team that should win the division fairly easily, but our manager is going to make the race interesting.

Jenks looked as if he gained 10 pounds in the last week. No wonder he got injured again. At least Ozzie won't be able to use him for awhile.

bunty_doghunter
08-13-2010, 12:28 AM
Floyd deserved better. Hated seeing him throw 125 pitches.Especially his last one.

thomas35forever
08-13-2010, 12:29 AM
I find it funny how everyone's getting on Ozzie for leaving Floyd in. If he brought in Sale and Sale served up the homer, everyone would be getting on him for not leaving the better guy in. Ozzie can't win here.

Noneck
08-13-2010, 12:32 AM
I find it funny how everyone's getting on Ozzie for leaving Floyd in. If he brought in Sale and Sale served up the homer, everyone would be getting on him for not leaving the better guy in. Ozzie can't win here.

It doesn't matter one way or the other. The Sox were not going to score 3 more runs tonight anyway.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-13-2010, 12:33 AM

You got that right, but at 124 pitches, Floyd probably should have been taken out. Really no reason to leave him in. I agree with what you're saying though.

TheOldRoman
08-13-2010, 12:34 AM
I find it funny how everyone's getting on Ozzie for leaving Floyd in. If he brought in Sale and Sale served up the homer, everyone would be getting on him for not leaving the better guy in. Ozzie can't win here.Matt Thornton was available.

ChiSoxGirl
08-13-2010, 12:38 AM
It doesn't matter one way or the other. The Sox were not going to score 3 more runs tonight anyway.

You're absolutely right. When the Sox had the bases loaded with nobody out in the fifth, I told one of the friends I was with that they'd lose the game if they didn't come through. They didn't come through then -- or in any other inning with the bases loaded -- and lost. Losing 3-1 vs. losing 6-1... it's irrelevant.

bunty_doghunter
08-13-2010, 12:39 AM
http://more-cowbell.org/images/8/8b/Christopher-Walken.jpg

"What the Sox needed was -

less Kubel"

BainesHOF
08-13-2010, 12:40 AM

B.S.

A blind man could have told you Floyd was done after 122 pitches on a hot and humid night. You bring in a lefty to face a lefty at that point. That was a no brainer.

Ozzie's been an idiot many times this year.

chisoxfanatic
08-13-2010, 12:43 AM
Did anyone else have a sinking feeling when Tank wasn't able to hit a grand slam in the 1st inning? I sure did...I felt the rest of this coming.

hi im skot
08-13-2010, 12:45 AM
Did anyone else have a sinking feeling when Tank wasn't able to hit a grand slam in the 1st inning? I sure did...I felt the rest of this coming.

Nah. It was the part where the Sox couldn't execute fundamental plays on defense that did me in.

Nellie_Fox
08-13-2010, 01:08 AM
KW missed his chance to get rid of Jenks two years ago.It's so easy to know what should have been done, two years after the fact.

Did anyone else have a sinking feeling when Tank wasn't able to hit a grand slam in the 1st inning? I sure did...I felt the rest of this coming.No. I didn't expect Viciedo to do anything. The league is now fully aware that he's a strikeout monster and will swing wildly at pitches way out of the zone. He's only a threat now if a pitcher makes a serious mistake.

Could it be that the Sox were well aware of this, and were trying to limit his exposure to delay the league finding this out? But so many on here wanted him playing every day.

Noneck
08-13-2010, 01:15 AM
Could it be that the Sox were well aware of this, and were trying to limit his exposure to delay the league finding this out?

I thought the Sox were picking his spots to showcase him for a trade deadline deal. Who knows maybe they were but after that was over, might as well empty the tank and send it to the rebuilding shop.

cards press box
08-13-2010, 01:42 AM
In some ways, activating Teahen after a two month absence is like acquiring a bat at the trading deadline. When Teahen got hurt, he was staring to hit well. His OBP is .340. If he can start hitting like he was in June, he can help the ballclub, particularly as a super-utility player/DH.

Slappy
08-13-2010, 02:07 AM
Not what I was hoping for for my first game of the season.

Seriously though, why did Ozzie leave Floyd in after the double at 108 pitches I believe it was?

Bah...

Shoeless_Jeff
08-13-2010, 02:18 AM
I hate Jason Kubel.

guillensdisciple
08-13-2010, 02:50 AM
We're winning this thing= **** the Twins.

Dan H
08-13-2010, 03:41 AM
All I can say is that this is embarrassing. In the two losses the Sox were outscored 18-7. They are only one game back, but if this offense doesn't wake up soon, they will play themselves right out of contention. And this offense is capable of long slumps.

It's Dankerific
08-13-2010, 04:01 AM
Could it be that the Sox were well aware of this, and were trying to limit his exposure to delay the league finding this out? But so many on here wanted him playing every day.

Could it be that not playing every day messed with his timing, patience and swing?

russ99
08-13-2010, 05:11 AM
Could it be that not playing every day messed with his timing, patience and swing?

Please, not this again with the standard BA excuse. His patience and swing aren't there period.

He's not drawn a single walk, and hacks at lots of pitches like many young players from Cuba. It's going to take time and experience to improve, like it did for Ramirez. Regular at-bats this season won't magically make him good in both areas.

DH is for veterans who can handle the mental aspect, put him back at 3B in the platoon and take the pressure off, and I'm sure he'll do better.

WhiteSox1989
08-13-2010, 06:47 AM
I can not believe they left the bases loaded with one out TWICE. ****ing awful.

They're still only one game out, so it could be much much worse, but I'm still disappointed with this series. Almost every year the division race comes down to the Twins. If you can't beat them, you won't win the division. Pretty simple.

Ah well, I hope they can go into the series with the Twins next week at least tied for first.

Craig Grebeck
08-13-2010, 07:10 AM
No. I didn't expect Viciedo to do anything. The league is now fully aware that he's a strikeout monster and will swing wildly at pitches way out of the zone. He's only a threat now if a pitcher makes a serious mistake.

1. People wanted him to DH when he was hitting the tar out of the ball.
2. If advanced scouts didn't already know that Dayan has poor plate discipline, they should be fired.

harwar
08-13-2010, 07:12 AM
Weird night .. Liriano seemed average a lot but when the White Sox had guys in scoring pos he was absolutely perfect in placement and pitch selection .. i had no idea that he still had that unhittable slider .. he looked at times like he did before the surgery .. Gavin was all over the place .. it was hard to watch .. seems like Ozzie is leaving his starters in longer, more and more, to save the BP i suppose, but i'm worried that the starters might get tired or worse .. orlando hudson is really annoying .. he never stops talking and he wears a smirk on his face too much for me .. sending Viciedo down was a good thing .. he was on the road to becoming Rob Deer ..

ike from nj
08-13-2010, 07:16 AM
It's so easy to know what should have been done, two years after the fact.

People have been saying to get rid of Jenks for a long time now.

kufram
08-13-2010, 07:22 AM
We had the right people at bat in the right situation several times last night and they couldn't deliver. They are the same guys that delivered on numerous occasions to keep the hot streak going. We are a streaky offense which makes for a roller coaster ride. Get on a hot streak again and everything looks different. No matter how you've played it must be a little disheartening to play at home 3 straight games for first place and there are a lot of empty seats and cheering for the other team.

The Twins went through a rough patch when we were winning everything and that allowed us to catch them. Now they are hot and we are cold. That can and probably will turn around again soon.

In a division race like the one we are in now it is a see-saw battle. Weaknesses can be exposed and mental lapses magnified. It is now a matter of who makes the crucial plays to win games. We haven't done that this last week or two but luckily the Twins lost on the same day a lot and we're still with them. Teahen may be just what is needed to re-spark the offense. We certainly have not played ourselves near being out of it as yet and, hence, I won't panic until we do.

guillensdisciple
08-13-2010, 07:25 AM
This series is crucial. Win/ Sweep and you stand in good ground to maintain, but lose out and you're probably looking at a hole that will be too hard to climb out of.

doublem23
08-13-2010, 07:50 AM

No, I was still pumped after the 1st, I figured we were going to light up Liriano. My enthusiasm waned after they stranded the bases loaded with no outs through the 3-4-5 part of the lineup, especially since my brother, a Cub fan, turned to me and said (as Rios walked up to the plate), if this were the Cubs, I'd be happy if they scored 1 run in this situation.

Craig Grebeck
08-13-2010, 08:10 AM
Insult to injury: Thome's line against the White Sox: .346/.438/.538.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-13-2010, 08:26 AM

Kotsay against the Twins: .250/.250/.357
Jones against the Twins: .231/.286/.231

soltrain21
08-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Kotsay against the Twins: .250/.250/.357
Jones against the Twins: .231/.286/.231

Hey! Better than their season stats!

TheOldRoman
08-13-2010, 09:12 AM
It's so easy to know what should have been done, two years after the fact.

No. I didn't expect Viciedo to do anything. The league is now fully aware that he's a strikeout monster and will swing wildly at pitches way out of the zone. He's only a threat now if a pitcher makes a serious mistake.

Could it be that the Sox were well aware of this, and were trying to limit his exposure to delay the league finding this out? But so many on here wanted him playing every day.Dayan is in an awful funk right now, but he is not a high strikeout guy in general. Look at his minor league stats. He will swing at everything, but he usually puts it in play. I agree that he needs more seasoning, but you can't judge him solely by this slump, especially when he is barely playing.

kobo
08-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Pretty pathetic effort last night.

slavko
08-13-2010, 10:03 AM

That's cutting to the chase. The team's (or at least half of it) is not getting that hit or any hit Right About Now. They were during our big surge. Teahen may the savior after all.

voodoochile
08-13-2010, 10:54 AM

It could be but more likely is that he's 21 and needs a lot of time to get his act together. Nellie is right. The kid swings at anything. ~90 AB and no walks at all means it's too soon to have him in the majors.

voodoochile
08-13-2010, 10:57 AM
1. People wanted him to DH when he was hitting the tar out of the ball.
2. If advanced scouts didn't already know that Dayan has poor plate discipline, they should be fired.

When he was only facing LHP he was smacking the crap out of the ball and that didn't change even when he didn't play for a while between starts. Just in the last week or so he started facing RHP and things fell apart rapidly. I agree it was time to figure it out and see if he could be a full time player. The answer is obviously - not yet.

October26
08-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Pretty pathetic effort last night.

Yes, it was. And yes, the Sun did come out today, but my head still hurts from watching last night's game. Very disappointing loss.

As others have said, let's hope the Sox can shake off the poor play of this last week against the Orioles and the Twins and start winning games again.

C'mon Sox...You CAN do this!

LoveYourSuit
08-13-2010, 12:29 PM

As I said on a post earlier this week:

Twins minus Thome
and
Sox plus Thome

= Minimum 4-5 games lead for the Sox right now.

Joliet_Sox
08-13-2010, 12:55 PM
It's disappointing series loss because of the scenario: at home, no Morneau, facing only 1 of their 2 effective pitchers. Enough to EXPECT a win.

Just when you think you've seen every possible way the Sox can lose to this team we balk in a run. Good god.

The worst part is now we're WAY behind in the race for home field in game #163. Lets return the favor @MN and the complexion will do another 180.
GO SOX!

doublem23
08-13-2010, 12:59 PM
As I said on a post earlier this week:

Twins minus Thome
and
Sox plus Thome

= Minimum 4-5 games lead for the Sox right now.

Yeah, that's absolutely not a fact consideing the Sox's poor start and hot June/July were basically tied to the pitching, or lack thereof earlier in the year.

fram40
08-13-2010, 01:22 PM
2-10 RISP. We've seen these type numbers a lot the past week.

2 - 10 RISP

1) AJ's cue shot down the third base line
2) TCM's bunt

So the only two hits we got with RISP were infield bull**** hits. It is even worse than it looks

I am sick and tired of losing to the ****ing Twins year after ****ing year.

SSrep
08-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Dayan is in an awful funk right now, but he is not a high strikeout guy in general. Look at his minor league stats. He will swing at everything, but he usually puts it in play. I agree that he needs more seasoning, but you can't judge him solely by this slump, especially when he is barely playing.

He might not have been, but he wasn't facing major league pitchers. I do think he'll figure that out though, he's so young.

RCWHITESOX
08-13-2010, 01:36 PM
The Sox need another real hitter in that lineup if we hope to win the division. Why not try and get Ramirez from the Cubs or Abreu from the Angels or someone of that quality. Ozzie can keep saying he doesn't need anything else but it is obvious that they do.

dwitt76
08-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Why not try and get Ramirez from the Cubs or
:scratch::shocked::upsidehead:

Boondock Saint
08-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Yeah, that's absolutely not a fact consideing the Sox's poor start and hot June/July were basically tied to the pitching, or lack thereof earlier in the year.

How's about the five games we've lost to them in the last month?

doublem23
08-13-2010, 02:51 PM
How's about the five games we've lost to them in the last month?

Well unless Thome's taken up pitching and can close for Bobby on the Sunday meltdown in Minnesota or start in leiu of Freddy Tuesday here, I think we can chalk those two up as losses, regardless of who's in our lineup.