PDA

View Full Version : please send cheese to Boston...

Fenway
08-12-2010, 09:10 PM
This is a little comic relief

Papelbomb imploded this afternoon in Toronto and WEEI's Whiner Line exploded

It is hysterical

http://audio.weei.com/m/33464902/thurs-aug-12th-whiner-line.htm

cards press box
08-13-2010, 01:37 AM
I hadn't thought about if before but anyone else notice the similarities in the career arcs of Jonathan Papelbon and Bobby Jenks? They both came up around the same time, both are about the same age (Jenks is 29 and Papelbon is 30), both had similar success very early in their respective careers for a World Championship team and both have struggled as of late.

I wonder if either will be with their current team next year.

Fenway
08-13-2010, 05:29 AM
No middle ground with Paps - either lights out or he is lit up like yesterday.

6 blown saves is a huge number when you are in the hunt for a playoff spot. Daniel Bard looks like closer material and you may see Paps shopped.

We can talk about how NYY buys players but Mo Riveria was home grown and what a 15 season run he has had.

Boston has had a brutal year for injuries, a shaky bullpen, Lackey has been a disappointment and still 5 games out of a playoff slot.

They get Pedroia back next week which will be huge.

Red Sox will play a big role in the White Sox fate - Labor Day weekend at Fenway and then 4 in Chicago the final week so what happens with the Carmines is important to the Pale Hose.

I hadn't thought about if before but anyone else notice the similarities in the career arcs of Jonathan Papelbon and Bobby Jenks? They both came up around the same time, both are about the same age (Jenks is 29 and Papelbon is 30), both had similar success very early in their respective careers for a World Championship team and both have struggled as of late.

I wonder if either will be with their current team next year.

VenturaFan23
08-13-2010, 06:05 AM
Way to go Jays! :bandance:

cards press box
08-14-2010, 01:11 PM
No middle ground with Paps - either lights out or he is lit up like yesterday.

6 blown saves is a huge number when you are in the hunt for a playoff spot. Daniel Bard looks like closer material and you may see Paps shopped.

And the parallel with Bobby Jenks continues there, too, at least in terms of his replacement -- it seems apparent that Sergio Santos will be the future closer of the White Sox, just as it seems inevitable that Bard will be the future Red Sox closer.

Does anyone in Boston have a theory why Papelbon is either "lights out' or "lit up"? When Jenks is ineffective, the problem seems to be a physical one. And as the years have rolled on, Jenks has had a number of nagging injuries, like his current back problem.

We can talk about how NYY buys players but Mo Riveria was home grown and what a 15 season run he has had.

Everyone talks about the Yankees buying all their players because that's exactly what they do. Yes, they still have the four that have anchored the team since 1996: Jeter, Rivera, Posada and Pettitte (although Pettitte in his second Yankee go around is, in fact, a free agent signing from the Astros). But the Yanks payed way over market to keep those four. Look at the rest of the team: Teixeira (free agent), A-Roid (free agent), Burnett (free agent), Sabathia (free agent). Mussina was a free agent signing, as was Giambi. And many of the players acquired in trades over the years were obtained in trades that were nothing more than salary dumps (which, in effect, is a free agent signing, too).

If anything causes the next labor stoppage in baseball, it will be Steinbrenner's obnoxious nine. I hate the Yankees. They are on a crusade to use money to mess up competitive balance and, thus, are bad for the game.

Red Sox will play a big role in the White Sox fate - Labor Day weekend at Fenway and then 4 in Chicago the final week so what happens with the Carmines is important to the Pale Hose.

I remember the Sox played a big makeup game on Labor Day at Fenway in 2005. Brandon McCarthy and the Sox beat Curt Schilling and Boston 5-3. If I recall correctly, Boston's three runs were on a Tony Graffanino three-run homer in the 9th, ironically enough off Bobby Jenks. It was probably McCarthy's best game with the Sox.