PDA

View Full Version : I HaveTo Admit it... (Uniform Discussion)

Red Barchetta
08-11-2010, 08:06 PM
...as much as I hate the Twins, I really like their new road uniforms. The color scheme, etc. reminds me of the older "Rod Carew" era Angels uniforms. The helmets should have the red brim though to match their caps.

kaufsox
08-11-2010, 10:42 PM
plus one on this, the new road uniform looks great and I love the TC combination on the hats.

Jerko
08-11-2010, 10:45 PM
I like them too.

DSpivack
08-11-2010, 11:01 PM
I concur.

Dub25
08-11-2010, 11:05 PM
I dont like them and it has nothing to do with me hating them.

Zisk77
08-11-2010, 11:06 PM
I think they look like our 1990 uniforms.

hi im skot
08-11-2010, 11:07 PM
They're good looking unis, especially in comparison to the old ones.

The Twins can still eat ****, though.

Dibbs
08-12-2010, 12:52 AM
I honestly think they look terrible. Big downgrade.

Nellie_Fox
08-12-2010, 01:29 AM
I honestly think they look terrible. Big downgrade.Downgrade from gray pinstripes? I don't think so.

I like them.

october23sp
08-12-2010, 01:50 AM
Better than what they had, still not good. Their alternate homes are awesome. The throwbacks.

Carneyman14
08-12-2010, 08:42 AM
I do wish we would do sort of a modern version of these uniforms. Maybe with some piping and getting rid of the # on the pants.

Red Barchetta
08-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Downgrade from gray pinstripes? I don't think so.

I like them.

I thought the gray pinstripes with the solid blue hat with the weird "M" were nasty. I remember Pittsburgh tried the gray pinstipes for awhile and those also looked bad IMO. However no road pins looked as bad as the Cubs early 70s powder blue with white pinstripes. :o:

I've always liked the dark navy/red color scheme. Even when the SOX wore it during the Torborg era. The problem was too many other teams had it; i.e. Cleveland, Anaheim, Minnesota, Atlanta, etc.

doublem23
08-12-2010, 08:50 AM
I do wish we would do sort of a modern version of these uniforms. Maybe with some piping and getting rid of the # on the pants.

Eh, no, I love those uniforms, but they're a downgrade from what we have now.

I wouldn't mind seeing them as a throwback, but the Sox seem only interested in the '59 jerseys and '80s pullovers.

Brian26
08-12-2010, 08:50 AM
I honestly think they look terrible. Big downgrade.

I don't necessarily think the new ones are bad, but I didn't think there was anything wrong with the old ones. To that point, I've always felt like teams should keep their uniforms after achieving some amount of success in them. The Twins won two World Series in that uni.

doublem23
08-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Downgrade from gray pinstripes? I don't think so.

I like them.

Yeah, pinstripes on grey is just... weird.

These are nice jerseys.

doublem23
08-12-2010, 08:52 AM
I don't necessarily think the new ones are bad, but I didn't think there was anything wrong with the old ones. To that point, I've always felt like teams should keep their uniforms after achieving some amount of success in them. The Twins won two World Series in that uni.

Yeah, but that was almost 20 years ago now.

I don't mind it, as much, if the team does some tweaking. But I do mind when a team totally alters its look and color style, a la, whatever the Blue Jays did to their uniforms.

Brian26
08-12-2010, 08:54 AM

The number was taken off the pants early in that uniform's history. I think they only wore it there for one year ('87).

Another other odd point about that uni was that they added names to the back of the road uniforms during the middle of the season in '90. It wasn't even to start the season. The names on the back of the unis just sort of showed up halfway through the season on a road trip to the west coast.

And then there's the entire debacle about the stripes being visible on the stirrups during the '88 or '89 season under Larry Himes.

Brian26
08-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Yeah, but that was almost 20 years ago now.

I don't mind it, as much, if the team does some tweaking. But I do mind when a team totally alters its look and color style, a la, whatever the Blue Jays did to their uniforms.

The Blue Jays unis from 1992 (in their exact form) would be perfect if they brought them back today, and they have an incredible history behind them since the team font was basically unchanged dating back to 1977 and they won two WS in them. Toronto completely botched that.

Carneyman14
08-12-2010, 09:01 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing them as a throwback, but the Sox seem only interested in the '59 jerseys and '80s pullovers.

Yea I was meaning making them more modern. Not as is. You would have the pro flare pant. (I'd keep it just black n white) with the same hat we have now.

TheOldRoman
08-12-2010, 09:54 AM
I don't like the new Twins' road unis for several reasosn. First off, I don't like that they use navy with a red outline on the wordmark as opposed to red with a navy outline (as on their home jerseys). They then use red/navy outline on the numbers, which is the same as with the home jerseys. I hate when teams feature one color on the home unis and a different on the road (Nats, Cardinals, Red Sox to a lesser extent), but if you are going to do it, at least go all out.

I also dislike the new road cap, the Twindians look. If another team in your division has an iconic cap in the same color/configuration, you should probably stay away from it. This isn't like two teams wearing solid navy or black. Navy with a red brim is very distinctive. Also, if they must have the road cap, they need to stop half assing it and get matching helmets.

TheOldRoman
08-12-2010, 09:57 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing them as a throwback, but the Sox seem only interested in the '59 jerseys and '80s pullovers.Brooks has said before that the Sox won't do throwbacks to years in which they didn't win anything. That is why we don't see the pajamas unis from the late 70s, the red pinstripes, or any others. That era of Sox baseball was horrific other than 1990.

mantis1212
08-12-2010, 10:04 AM
I agree, I hate the Twins but their uniforms look really nice.

johnnyg83
08-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Love 'em. The former ones looked woefully dated.

Pinstripes should only be on white. Hello, Rockies?

russ99
08-12-2010, 11:59 AM
I don't like the new Twins' road unis for several reasosn. First off, I don't like that they use navy with a red outline on the wordmark as opposed to red with a navy outline (as on their home jerseys). They then use red/navy outline on the numbers, which is the same as with the home jerseys. I hate when teams feature one color on the home unis and a different on the road (Nats, Cardinals, Red Sox to a lesser extent), but if you are going to do it, at least go all out.

I also dislike the new road cap, the Twindians look. If another team in your division has an iconic cap in the same color/configuration, you should probably stay away from it. This isn't like two teams wearing solid navy or black. Navy with a red brim is very distinctive. Also, if they must have the road cap, they need to stop half assing it and get matching helmets.

The reversed two-tone thing doesn't bug me esthetically.

Overall, I really like the new Twins road unis a lot, mostly since they're getting away from the tired "M" hat with the line under it and even more the jersey lettering of Twins with "win" underlined, which is beyond tacky. I wish they used the alternate home jerseys exclusively.

Agree that the helmet thing is ridiculous. The catchers have the different combination old-style red and white helmets too.

Foulke You
08-12-2010, 04:25 PM
I seem to be in the minority here but I think their new unis aren't all that great. I think what I hate the most about it is the cursive script they used on the chest. It just doesn't look right to me. I thought the "Minnesota" block lettering they used on these: http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithallison/2854271443/ would look good with the color scheme they have now. Really, their old grey road uniforms would have been fine without the pinstripes.

Nellie_Fox
08-13-2010, 01:15 AM
I do wish we would do sort of a modern version of these uniforms. Maybe with some piping and getting rid of the # on the pants.Those were incredibly boring, generic uniforms. I always thought they looked like someone called a uniform manufacturer and said "we have a team called the White Sox. Send us some uniforms. Colors? I don't know, I guess red, white and blue is always good."

Yea I was meaning making them more modern. Not as is. You would have the pro flare pant. (I'd keep it just black n white) with the same hat we have now.I hate the pants down to the shoetops, and I especially hate when they "spat" them.

You really think a script White Sox across the chest in plain black on a plain white jersey would look good? Boooooorrrrrriiiiiiing.

doublem23
08-13-2010, 08:03 AM
You really think a script White Sox across the chest in plain black on a plain white jersey would look good? Boooooorrrrrriiiiiiing.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_BH6r6QjWatk/TBb06aDkT0I/AAAAAAAABgE/RFkni8wBSqs/s400/0009_van_der_rohe_ludwig_mies_02.jpg
Remember, Nellie, less is more.

BleacherBandit
08-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Who else thinks the new Twins road uniforms look exactly like Washington's road uniforms?

bridgeportcopper
08-13-2010, 11:30 AM
I seem to be in the minority here but I think their new unis aren't all that great. I think what I hate the most about it is the cursive script they used on the chest. It just doesn't look right to me. I thought the "Minnesota" block lettering they used on these: http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithallison/2854271443/ would look good with the color scheme they have now. Really, their old grey road uniforms would have been fine without the pinstripes.

Sorry, that picture is Eddie Guardado.....he would make any uniform look bad.

TomBradley72
08-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Brooks has said before that the Sox won't do throwbacks to years in which they didn't win anything. That is why we don't see the pajamas unis from the late 70s, the red pinstripes, or any others. That era of Sox baseball was horrific other than 1990.

1972 and 1977 were far from horrific!

:geezer:

Noir
08-14-2010, 10:07 AM
People are weighing on the road uni. Believe it or not, I actually like their normal home set. The Win Twins wordmark was updated really well, and i'm sorry, as much as I hate the Twins (as JB98 puts it, the Twins are crappy and are perpetual losers), they have a good uniform set, and out of respect, i may go to ebay and extend my jersey collection.

TheOldRoman
08-14-2010, 05:15 PM
1972 and 1977 were far from horrific!

:geezer:I meant the "Einhorn e" uniforms from 1987-90. Awful baseball for three years and then a breakout season of '90.

Foulke You
08-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Sorry, that picture is Eddie Guardado.....he would make any uniform look bad.
Yeah, I probably should have picked a different player to "model" the jersey. :tongue:

hangwithem
08-16-2010, 12:03 AM
I think more teams except the Astros, Pirates, O's and Padres should incorporate more of the throwback look. The Phillies and Brewers have had throwback unis in their regular rotation for home games at least the last few years.

With the way uniforms are made now, it won't be a bad idea. I like those pinstripe red of the White Sox and those power blue road uniforms as well.

I don't have a problem with the Twins road unis and the throwback home.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-16-2010, 12:31 AM
The gray pinstripes were the best.