PDA

View Full Version : Mauer stealing signs...Oh what to do

bechtel129
08-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Fine and well...part of the game...NEEDS TO GET DRILLED...also part of the game. Am I wrong here?? Can Ozzie get it done the right way(This time for a change!)?? It's old school thinking, and I cannot think of anything else (other than winning) thats going to light some sort of fire here.

balke
08-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Fine and well...part of the game...NEEDS TO GET DRILLED...also part of the game. Am I wrong here?? Can Ozzie get it done the right way(This time for a change!)?? It's old school thinking, and I cannot think of anything else (other than winning) thats going to light some sort of fire here.

Ozzie's not afraid to hit someone. I didn't know Mauer was stealing signs.

I doubt that's something Ozzie wants to hit Mauer for though. Definitely not with Danks on the mound.

Really if they want to hit anyone - I hope they wait til they are in Minnesota so suspensions wouldn't mess up this series.

WhiteSox5187
08-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Yea, if it's thought that Mauer is stealing signs a pitcher should take it into his own hands to take care of the job. I have no problem with Mauer stealing signs as that's part of the game but he needs to be more subtle in the way he does it. The only way he could be less subtle is if he was screaming out what was coming.

But it's up to the catcher to change the signs and then the pitcher has to take care of business. Once when Roger Clemens suspected someone on second was stealing signs he calmly stepped off the mound and told the runner "This better stop before someone gets killed."

bechtel129
08-11-2010, 07:48 PM
When he was on 2nd last night....hand to the helmet for slider, juke to the right for fastball. He is one of the best in the game at almost everything no doubt...I wish AJ could get on 2nd enough to do it too. They were talking about it on Boers and Bernstein this morning for about 30 seconds. I'm sick of losing to the twins...If done quickly..maybe MIN overreacts and does something stupid. Just sayin'

g0g0
08-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Once when Roger Clemens suspected someone on second was stealing signs he calmly stepped off the mound and told the runner "This better stop before someone gets killed."

:rolling:

DickAllen72
08-11-2010, 07:55 PM
It's been one of Ozzie's weak areas since he's been a manager. He always makes the mistake of talking about it instead of just letting his pitchers handle it. Hopefully he's finally learned to handle these types of things -- whether he deems it necessary to drill Mauer or not.

jdm2662
08-11-2010, 07:57 PM
I never understood why people ever complained about stealing signs. I don't like losing to the Twins as much as the next guy, but if someone has figured you out, well, you are going to lose many more games. Change them up. I would say it's as simple as that, but it isn't.

bechtel129
08-11-2010, 08:00 PM
WE NEED something to talk about other than getting our butts handed to us AGAIN by the frickin Minnesota Twins. My first option would be an equal whitewashing, a 1-0 shutout would be fine too. Give them a taste of their own medicine if all else fails. Period

bechtel129
08-11-2010, 08:05 PM
The time for changing up the signs passed after the 3rd inning last night....the time to do something about it that can make a difference for the rest of this race is tonight. I am not complaining it happened, merely stating that we need to do something about it and soon before we get swept out of this thing. MAKE A STATEMENT TONIGHT BOYS

getonbckthr
08-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Like an endzone celebration in football, if you can get away with it do it however be prepared to accept the consequences. If thats a fastball in the back or at the knee then so be it.

bechtel129
08-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Mauer needs to go down, now we wait till next week thanks to Perkins. What a crock that warning was.

CLR01
08-11-2010, 09:54 PM
He wasn't going down anyway so no big loss. He won't go down next week either.

DumpJerry
08-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Glad to see Sox fans who joined before the 2005 finally find something to post about.:rolleyes:

WhiteSox5187
08-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Well, I think with Quentin getting drilled tonight someone is going down tomorrow for the Twins at some point.

Craig Grebeck
08-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Hopefully we're up by 5+ runs. I have no interest in putting guys on base for the Twins.

balke
08-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Well, I think with Quentin getting drilled tonight someone is going down tomorrow for the Twins at some point.

If they are smart they'll wait til Minnesota. Gotta play the Twins again right away - no point in getting a suspension.

WhiteSox5187
08-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Hopefully we're up by 5+ runs. I have no interest in putting guys on base for the Twins.

Yea, obviously you have to pick your spots when you're going to hit a guy. The game has to be safely out of reach one way or the other.

asindc
08-11-2010, 11:02 PM

Here it is again, a suggestion that a player intentionally hits another player with the ball. I'd rather beat them by hitting, pitcher, fielding, and running better than them, but that's me.

Zakath
08-11-2010, 11:03 PM
If he's good enough to steal 'em and you're dumb enough to let him, the blame's on you.

Best way to stop him is not give up doubles to him.

Frater Perdurabo
08-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Yea, obviously you have to pick your spots when you're going to hit a guy. The game has to be safely out of reach one way or the other.

Here it is again, a suggestion that a player intentionally hits another player with the ball. I'd rather beat them by hitting, pitcher, fielding, and running better than them, but that's me.

Under ordinary circumstances I agree. However, if Floyd gets out the first two batters in the first inning tomorrow night, he should nail Mauer.

Sam Spade
08-11-2010, 11:05 PM

Why not both?

WhiteSox5187
08-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Under ordinary circumstances I agree. However, if Floyd gets out the first two batters in the first inning tomorrow night, he should nail Mauer.

Ehhhh, I don't like doing that in the first. We'll see.

AnkleSox
08-11-2010, 11:14 PM
How about just kick their asses cleanly and show the Sox to be a classier organization? There's no reason to give these *******s free baserunners, especially if it comes at the cost of losing a pitcher during the thick of a pennant race.

DumpJerry
08-11-2010, 11:37 PM
...and get tossed from the game. Great game plan!

SpartanSoxFan
08-11-2010, 11:42 PM
...and get tossed from the game. Great game plan!

Would he automatically be tossed? Does tonight's umpire warning apply for tomorrow also?

The Immigrant
08-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Would he automatically be tossed? Does tonight's umpire warning apply for tomorrow also?

No. They'd have to warn the benches again before the game starts.

canOcorn
08-12-2010, 12:10 AM

Yeah. I have no desire to see the best pitcher in baseball over the last two months get tossed because Ozzie didn't handle business properly tonight.

doublem23
08-12-2010, 12:38 AM
No. They'd have to warn the benches again before the game starts.

I think that's the general protocol, but I don't think it's a set in stone rule. If the ump wants to toss someone, he can.

esbrechtel
08-12-2010, 12:40 AM
Just bring Linebrink in to do it...:shrug:

canOcorn
08-12-2010, 12:49 AM

Actually, I agree with this idea, assuming there's not a warning before the game. He can dust him/drill him and then the warning is issued before Liriano can retaliate.

TheOldRoman
08-12-2010, 12:49 AM
I think that's the general protocol, but I don't think it's a set in stone rule. If the ump wants to toss someone, he can.Correct, which is why the warning system is such BS. The Sox were warned in this game, so they couldn't retaliate. If they hit Mauer with a curve ball in the first inning tomorrow, the ump could rule it was intentional and throw Floyd out without a warning. The next inning Quentin could take a fastball off the ribs and the ump could rule it wasn't intentional.

The Twins twice plunked Quentin tonight. If it wasn't a big enough concern to the ump after the first time it happened, why was it the second? Shouldn't he have waited for the Sox to hit a batter to issue a warning? The whole system is bull.

hawkjt
08-12-2010, 01:17 AM
At some point,the Sox have got to protect Carlos,and make the Twins move their feet. Should have done it on Tuesday,then tonite, and now tomorrow. Maybe not early in the game,but if we get another shot at Mauer, hit him.

JB98
08-12-2010, 01:22 AM
You don't want to the give the umpires the opportunity to eject your starting pitcher early in the game.

Somebody should have gotten drilled Tuesday when the Sox were losing.

twinsuck
08-12-2010, 01:23 AM
I've read other sites and they complain about OUR players stealing signs. tsk tsk... And honestly I have no problem with it. If the teams signs are that easy to steal they deserve it.

DonnieDarko
08-12-2010, 01:27 AM
What sites are these?

Nellie_Fox
08-12-2010, 01:28 AM
I know what Gibson would have done if the guy at second was stealing signs and relaying them in. He wouldn't have waited until Mauer came up to bat; he'd have spun around to do a "pick off" and nailed Mauer right in the ribs as he was trying to get back to the bag.

Also, you can arrange with the catcher to throw something different than the sign and scare the crap out of the hitter who's leaning over the plate looking for the slider and he gets the inside fastball.

seventyseven
08-12-2010, 01:53 AM
I know what Gibson would have done if the guy at second was stealing signs and relaying them in. He wouldn't have waited until Mauer came up to bat; he'd have spun around to do a "pick off" and nailed Mauer right in the ribs as he was trying to get back to the bag.

Also, you can arrange with the catcher to throw something different than the sign and scare the crap out of the hitter who's leaning over the plate looking for the slider and he gets the inside fastball.

This.

It's the easiest way to fix it. Put down the deuce and throw a heater up and in. They won't steal your signs again.

hawkjt
08-12-2010, 09:39 AM
I heard Cooper on the Score this am,and he said in his mind,no doubt that Perkins threw at Carlos on purpose,and said the ump agreed since he issued warnings...otherwise why warn anyone?

He said it is not an objective to retaliate,but he used the Hawkism...they will just ''file it''...so, the pitching staff will pick their spots,but I am pretty confident that Mauer/Kubel/Cuddyar, will be getting hit in the knee before this season is over.

Brian26
08-12-2010, 09:45 AM
I heard Cooper on the Score this am,and he said in his mind,no doubt that Perkins threw at Carlos on purpose,and said the ump agreed since he issued warnings...otherwise why warn anyone?

He said it is not an objective to retaliate,but he used the Hawkism...they will just ''file it''...so, the pitching staff will pick their spots,but I am pretty confident that Mauer/Kubel/Cuddyar, will be getting hit in the knee before this season is over.

Just a note about that pitch by Perkins- that ball was thrown directly at Carlos' knee. Every time I see that happen, I remember Ron Kittle getting nailed by the Orioles in Game 3 of the '83 ALCS and not being able to finish the series (actually had to come out on crutches for Game 4). There's a big difference obviously between throwing at the head and any other part of the body, but the knee should be off limits. If you need to drill someone because you don't want to pitch to them, hit them in the back or the ass. Don't throw at the head, knee or hands.

Someone needs to be drilled tonight early.

harwar
08-12-2010, 10:03 AM
After Carlos got hit, then we hit their guy and it's all over .. it's been part of the game forever .. but now with the warnings, the White Sox will wait and the twins know that .. it builds up and emotions will run even higher .. the whole warning system only works if it's done right by the umps .. they can actually make everything worse by interfering at the wrong time .. also, Gavin needs to pitch inside so hitting anyone would not be wise ..

Chez
08-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Easy solution. Tonight, wait till we are up 11-0 and Gavin is out of the game. In the 8th have Linebrink drill Mauer. After he's tossed, bring in Pena and have him drill Delmon Young. After he's tossed, bring in Jenks to get some work.

hi im skot
08-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Easy solution. Tonight, wait till we are up 11-0 and Gavin is out of the game. In the 8th have Linebrink drill Mauer. After he's tossed, bring in Pena and have him drill Delmon Young. After he's tossed, bring in Jenks to get some work.

:rolling:

Love it.

CHISOXFAN13
08-12-2010, 10:45 AM

I like the plan on paper, but there's no way Gardernhire will have his stars in a game like this knowing it's coming.

WizardsofOzzie
08-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Topic made me think of an ESPN article where they asked some old school guys about different "unwritten rules" of baseball and how they handled them. Here are a couple responses to the topic of sign stealing

Jim Palmer: "I was pitching one night against Jim Spencer, and he used to live in Baltimore. He played basketball with us in the offseason, and he was a friend of mine. [Catcher] Rick Dempsey came out to the mound and said, 'Spencer is looking back at the signs.' So I walked off the mound and said, 'If you do that again, I'll hit you in the side of the head.' I threw the next ball right down the middle and he took it for Strike 3."

Goose Gossage: "If we thought hitters were getting signs relayed signs from second base, we would call a breaking ball, and then I'd throw a fastball up and in. That stopped it right then. It was over. They were done."

russ99
08-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Seems like it's open season on purpose pitches to Sox hitters. I'd love to see them do something about it and put a stop to this.

kufram
08-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Revenge is something that needs to be done, as Yogi said, "early". I don't like the idea of throwing at anybody's knees or head purposefully even in retaliation. Do you really want to risk ruining a career or even worse to get even? Beat the Twins tonight is the best solution.

There are plenty of ways to deal with sign-stealing that don't involve danger. Change the signs. Get better at it.

Chez
08-12-2010, 10:51 AM
I like the plan on paper, but there's no way Gardernhire will have his stars in a game like this knowing it's coming.

Then drill them while they are sitting in the dugout! :D:

ChicagoRushFan
08-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Put me in the "I think the bean ball wars is stupid and counter productive to winning the baseball game" camp.

soltrain21
08-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Don't let him get on base.

happydude
08-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Seems like it's open season on purpose pitches to Sox hitters. I'd love to see them do something about it and put a stop to this.

For the most part, I'm not in favor of bean ball wars but, to the extent someone hits a player on purpose, there's really little other choice. Particularly when, as you suggest, its a common practice as it seems to be with our Sox.

I won't get worked up about it, though. The truth is the Sox, after being on the wrong end of this stuff, often huff and puff in the media but never actually do **** about it.

Kufram was referencing sign stealing in his last post and not Quentin but what he said applies to all of this stuff; either retaliate quickly or the hell with it. If there's going to be retaliation for anything that happened so far in this series then it needs to take place in the first inning of tonight's game; waiting until the "perfect" time suggests its not that important and if its not then don't do it at all.

kufram
08-12-2010, 11:24 AM
It's too late to do anything about last night's stuff now. The only perfect time for retaliation (which I think is the wrong course) is immediately. Not the next day. Win the game tonight is all that any of the players or manager should be thinking of now.

FielderJones
08-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Put me in the "I think the bean ball wars is stupid and counter productive to winning the baseball game" camp.

Put me in the "Nemo me impune lacessit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemo_me_impune_lacessit)" camp.

Taliesinrk
08-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Put me in the "Nemo me impune lacessit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemo_me_impune_lacessit)" camp.

:thumbsup:

October26
08-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Don't let him get on base.

:thumbsup:This. Don't let any of them get on base. Just pitch a perfect game against the Twins tonight, Gavin!

kufram
08-12-2010, 12:08 PM
The problem with "no one attacks me with impunity" is that you are going to hit Mauer for his team's pitcher throwing at Quentin. The perfect answer would be to make the pitcher that threw the bean-ball lead-off the next inning. Then it is fair tit-for-tat I suppose. But if the pitcher has been ordered by the manager then do you make the manager bat? The more people you involve in the problem the harder it gets to solve.

I wonder how the two leagues break down in HBP. Does the NL have fewer because the pitchers know they are going to have to go to the plate? Someone out there must really want to look that up.

If you really want revenge then start Bobby and have him hit people until he's ejected... it's less likely to cost you the game.

TheOldRoman
08-12-2010, 12:20 PM
I wonder how the two leagues break down in HBP. Does the NL have fewer because the pitchers know they are going to have to go to the plate? Someone out there must really want to look that up.I don't think there would be a significant difference just beause of what was mentioned before, the umps can throw a pitcher out for hitting a batter even if he wasn't warned. That is why Zambrano and Padilla (during his years in the NL) got away with their chicken**** antics. After they drill countless hitters, you better believe any ball thrown at them is going to be intentional. Padilla has only been drilled 3 times in his career and Zambrano has never been hit.

MisterB
08-12-2010, 12:22 PM
I wonder how the two leagues break down in HBP. Does the NL have fewer because the pitchers know they are going to have to go to the plate? Someone out there must really want to look that up.

This season, so far:

AL: 1 HBP per 1.55 games
NL: 1 HPB per 1.58 games

last season:

AL: 1/1.57g
NL: 1/1.50g

And for random comparison, 1965 (the days of notorious intimidators Don Drysdale and Bob Gibson):

AL: 1/2.56g
NL: 1/2.01g

:dunno:

JC456
08-12-2010, 12:47 PM
For the most part, I'm not in favor of bean ball wars but, to the extent someone hits a player on purpose, there's really little other choice. Particularly when, as you suggest, its a common practice as it seems to be with our Sox.

I won't get worked up about it, though. The truth is the Sox, after being on the wrong end of this stuff, often huff and puff in the media but never actually do **** about it.

Kufram was referencing sign stealing in his last post and not Quentin but what he said applies to all of this stuff; either retaliate quickly or the hell with it. If there's going to be retaliation for anything that happened so far in this series then it needs to take place in the first inning of tonight's game; waiting until the "perfect" time suggests its not that important and if its not then don't do it at all.
It is strategy now. The first player hit tonight will bring out a warning to both benches, taking away the inside pitch. so ask yourself who that hurts the most? Quinten got hit twice last night once intetionally, thus taking the bat out of his hands and no reprocusions to the pitcher. Kind of unfair if there is nothing to pay for your actions.

If the Sox hit someone in the very first inning, then a warning will be given to both benches and Quinten won't be hit during tonight's game.

Strategy!!!!

JC456
08-12-2010, 12:55 PM
It is strategy now. The first player hit tonight will bring out a warning to both benches, taking away the inside pitch. so ask yourself who that hurts the most? Quinten got hit twice last night once intetionally, thus taking the bat out of his hands and no reprocusions to the pitcher. Kind of unfair if there is nothing to pay for your actions.

If the Sox hit someone in the very first inning, then a warning will be given to both benches and Quinten won't be hit during tonight's game.

Strategy!!!!
I wanted the Sox to hit someone Tuesday night and that would have set the stage for the entire series. Heck had three choices, Mauer, Cuddyer or Kubel.

Quinten would have only got hit once last night had that happened.

Gardenhire had his pitcher hit Quinten to mess with Danks head. He knew the ump would warn the two benches and then enhance his team's ability to fight back and get back in the game. Dank's was very successful against them inside last night. Gardenhire wanted to take back that advantage.

Strategy!!!

ChicagoRushFan
08-12-2010, 01:31 PM
The problem with the Latin quote (I however give extra internet points to those who quote Latin phrases) is that the Twins do get punished. The Sox get a man on base. Now I know they probably wanted TCQ there anyway with a runner on second, etc. But there is punishment built in.

JC456
08-12-2010, 01:40 PM
The problem with the Latin quote (I however give extra internet points to those who quote Latin phrases) is that the Twins do get punished. The Sox get a man on base. Now I know they probably wanted TCQ there anyway with a runner on second, etc. But there is punishment built in.
Gardenhire knew what he was doing. It was a risk/ reward step. He figured he'd go get his starter, bring in the lefty to face the slumping AJ and get out of the inning.

But he knew the ump would warn the benches and then that might have deterred Danks from pitching inside giving him back some of the plate to come back. There is no other reason
to do it.

Except Danks responded well. Way to go Johnny!

VeeckAsInWreck
08-12-2010, 01:45 PM
If we do hit Mauer, I think we should give Sean Tracey another chance to redeem himself.

JC456
08-12-2010, 01:47 PM
if we do hit mauer, i think we should give sean tracey another chance to redeem himself.
lol

Zakath
08-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Goose Gossage: "If we thought hitters were getting signs relayed signs from second base, we would call a breaking ball, and then I'd throw a fastball up and in. That stopped it right then. It was over. They were done."

That'll work. Easy enough to go to the mound and have the catcher tell the pitcher that no matter what series of signs he puts down, first pitch is this, second pitch is this, etc. Once they have no freaking clue what's coming, they'll stop looking for it.

WhiteSox5187
08-12-2010, 02:08 PM
You don't want to the give the umpires the opportunity to eject your starting pitcher early in the game.

Somebody should have gotten drilled Tuesday when the Sox were losing.

See, I don't like the idea of drilling guys because you are losing or because a guy has hit you well. The Twins obviously don't subscribe to that idea, so next time we start losing to them I have no problem with making it hurt.

As for when we hit someone, I don't know if warnings will be issued before the game, if they are I wouldn't hit anyone with Gavin on the mound as you don't want anyone suspended who you need a lot. I also don't want to hit anyone in a way that could change the outcome of the game. If the Sox are well ahead or well behind then you hit someone. But I like the idea of waiting, the Twins know someone is going to get it they just don't win. Make 'em sweat.

JC456
08-12-2010, 02:34 PM
See, I don't like the idea of drilling guys because you are losing or because a guy has hit you well. The Twins obviously don't subscribe to that idea, so next time we start losing to them I have no problem with making it hurt.

As for when we hit someone, I don't know if warnings will be issued before the game, if they are I wouldn't hit anyone with Gavin on the mound as you don't want anyone suspended who you need a lot. I also don't want to hit anyone in a way that could change the outcome of the game. If the Sox are well ahead or well behind then you hit someone. But I like the idea of waiting, the Twins know someone is going to get it they just don't win. Make 'em sweat.

If the umps tell the managers before the game there is still a standing warning, then you're right on point because you'll lose your starter immediately.

Gardenhire continues to out duel Ozzie. If you watched Ozzie after the umps warning, you'd know that Ozzie was pissed, and Gardenhire was smiling. He was standing there loving every minute of Ozzie's pleading.

Gardenhire I think loves getting under Ozzie's skin!

I'm sorry, but I think it's time to stop being buddies with this guy and treat them more as an opposition and take them seriously. In other words, Ozzie should stop talking about Gardenhire as such a good guy. I don't think that same love is returned.

WhiteSox5187
08-12-2010, 02:38 PM
If the umps tell the managers before the game there is still a standing warning, then you're right on point because you'll lose your starter immediately.

Gardenhire continues to out duel Ozzie. If you watched Ozzie after the umps warning, you'd know that Ozzie was pissed, and Gardenhire was smiling. He was standing there loving every minute of Ozzie's pleading.

I'm sorry, but I think it's time to stop being buddies with this guy and treat them more as an opposition and take them seriously. In other words, Ozzie should stop talking about Gardenhire as such a good guy. I don't think that same love is returned.

Ozzie respects Gardenhire but regardless of what the umps said, it's not going to stop Ozzie or the White Sox from acting. Danks went eight last night and they weren't going to risk Danks getting tossed and then suspended as the warning had already been issued. Santos struggled a bit and let men get on base and you couldn't plunk somebody there and create a save situation. If the opportunity is right tonight, regardless of warnings, someone will go down for the Twins.

JC456
08-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Ozzie respects Gardenhire but regardless of what the umps said, it's not going to stop Ozzie or the White Sox from acting. Danks went eight last night and they weren't going to risk Danks getting tossed and then suspended as the warning had already been issued. Santos struggled a bit and let men get on base and you couldn't plunk somebody there and create a save situation. If the opportunity is right tonight, regardless of warnings, someone will go down for the Twins.
Make no mistake, there was no reason for Danks to do anything last night except what he did. nothing. I was referring to Tuesday night!

It was Gardenhire taking the lead last night! Ozzie should have beat him to that punch Tuesday night!

bigdommer
08-12-2010, 05:37 PM
As a catcher, my thoughts on stealing signs:

Batter looking back: automatic fastball in the ribs

Runner on 2nd: Go change the signs

Base coaches sneaking a peak: turn your head and tell the ump he's putting his players at risk

Anything involving electronics: immediately protest the game, and all batters become fair game

Looking at the opposing 3rd base coach or dugout: good baseball

This whole game is about deception: changeups, hit and run, pickoffs, etc. If a player is in his position with his head up and watching the play that develops, I don't have a problem with it. We all complain about Mauer's double digit trips to the mound per game, but maybe it's for a reason.

asindc
08-12-2010, 05:55 PM
As a catcher, my thoughts on stealing signs:

Batter looking back: automatic fastball in the ribs

Runner on 2nd: Go change the signs

Base coaches sneaking a peak: turn your head and tell the ump he's putting his players at risk

Anything involving electronics: immediately protest the game, and all batters become fair game

Looking at the opposing 3rd base coach or dugout: good baseball

This whole game is about deception: changeups, hit and run, pickoffs, etc. If a player is in his position with his head up and watching the play that develops, I don't have a problem with it. We all complain about Mauer's double digit trips to the mound per game, but maybe it's for a reason.

Well, considering that stealing signs is not against the rules but intentionally hitting another player with the baseball is, if the bolded part was implemented then the pitcher would most likely be immediately thrown out of the game if he hit that batter with a pitch.

A. Cavatica
08-12-2010, 07:07 PM

Unless it's Freddy on an off night.

WhiteSox5187
08-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Make no mistake, there was no reason for Danks to do anything last night except what he did. nothing. I was referring to Tuesday night!

It was Gardenhire taking the lead last night! Ozzie should have beat him to that punch Tuesday night!

I think it's real bush league to hit someone because you're getting your ass kicked.

slavko
08-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Well, considering that stealing signs is not against the rules but intentionally hitting another player with the baseball is, if the bolded part was implemented then the pitcher would most likely be immediately thrown out of the game if he hit that batter with a pitch.

Stealing signs from second base is against the "Rules." But they do it anyway which is why you have to change signs in that situation. Catch a batter leaning and give him a shave, IMO.

delben91
08-12-2010, 08:00 PM

Let's just hit the leadoff man the first game of every series and then we'll always be first!!!

:redneck

asindc
08-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Stealing signs from second base is against the "Rules." But they do it anyway which is why you have to change signs in that situation. Catch a batter leaning and give him a shave, IMO.

Let me clarify: There is nothing in the official MLB Rulebook that prohibits it.

Danryan
08-12-2010, 08:01 PM
What rule does stealing signs from second base violate? A team is illegally stealing signs from the scoreboard or using binoculars. If they are stealing signs; use better signs.