PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie - Marlins Talk

Lip Man 1
08-11-2010, 02:28 PM
For the first time that I can recall someone printed that the talk around baseball is that the Marlins would love Ozzie to take over their club with the new stadium in 2012.

David Haugh mentioned this in his column today at the Tribune. As I recall he said something about Florida making unofficial overtures to some friends of Ozzie.

Still think it's a long shot but who knows considering his relationship with Kenny and JR's edict to both guys to cut it out in the future.

Lip

DirtySox
08-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Yes please.

Domeshot17
08-11-2010, 02:40 PM
An NL Manager managing NL style baseball on an NL club...sounds like a match made in heaven.

DSpivack
08-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Ozzie makes his home in Miami in the offseason, no?

DirtySox
08-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Ozzie makes his home in Miami in the offseason, no?

Correct.

doublem23
08-11-2010, 02:50 PM
David Haugh is an idiot.

TheOldRoman
08-11-2010, 03:01 PM
David Haugh is an idiot.Yep.

kittle42
08-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Ozzie would complain about the lack of a DH in the NL, then put together a team of lumbering power hitters to prove the AL style was better suited to baseball.

doublem23
08-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Ozzie would complain about the lack of a DH in the NL, then put together a team of lumbering power hitters to prove the AL style was better suited to baseball.

I can imagine he'd have the best hitting pitching staff in the league.

russ99
08-11-2010, 03:17 PM

Teal? :D:

I don't see Jerry ditching Ozzie anytime soon, but you never know. I think the pull for Ozzie would be greater to take over in Atlanta next year, than in Florida in 2012.

Domeshot17
08-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Teal? :D:

I don't see Jerry ditching Ozzie anytime soon, but you never know. I think the pull for Ozzie would be greater to take over in Atlanta next year, than in Florida in 2012.

I have some friends with ties to the Braves, all say Atlanta wouldn't touch Ozzie with a 20 foot pole

GAsoxfan
08-11-2010, 03:25 PM
I have some friends with ties to the Braves, all say Atlanta wouldn't touch Ozzie with a 20 foot pole

Exactly. Atlanta is a very low-drama organization.

HomeFish
08-11-2010, 03:28 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the Marlins were the first team that Ozzie won a World Series ring with. And of course they gave him his coaching start.

Lip Man 1
08-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Ozzie started his coaching career under Jeff Torborg with the Expos.

Lip

cards press box
08-11-2010, 04:10 PM
For the first time that I can recall someone printed that the talk around baseball is that the Marlins would love Ozzie to take over their club with the new stadium in 2012.

David Haugh mentioned this in his column today at the Tribune. As I recall he said something about Florida making unofficial overtures to some friends of Ozzie.

Still think it's a long shot but who knows considering his relationship with Kenny and JR's edict to both guys to cut it out in the future.

Lip

I can't imagine Ozzie Guillen managing anywhere else, provided that Mr. Reinsdorf continues to own the White Sox.

shingo10
08-11-2010, 04:17 PM
David Haugh is an idiot.

It's hard to tell who's worse at flip-flopping, him or Phil Rogers. Both of them write columns without a lot of thought put in to them.

The trade deadline was ridiculous with Rogers writing on Friday that Kenny must have something else up his sleeve or else the Edwin Jackson trade was a bust. Then on Saturday he called it a great move.

Anyway, back to the topic, I give Ozzie to the Marlins a 1% chance of happening. Ozzie wants to be here.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-11-2010, 04:21 PM
I give Ozzie to the Marlins a 1% chance of happening. Ozzie wants to be here.

I wouldn't at all be surprised or saddened to see him leave for this job if it comes up.

kevingrt
08-11-2010, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't at all be surprised or saddened to see him leave for this job if it comes up.

I don't think he'll leave though. That's a bit of a problem.

SOXSINCE'70
08-11-2010, 05:49 PM
David Haugh is an idiot.

So is anyone who writes for the sCrUB-Une.
But that's just my opinion.

SOXSINCE'70
08-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Ozzie started his coaching career under Jeff Torborg with the Expos.

Lip

Then, "Trader" Jack Mckeon kept him on as third base coach once he took over in 2003.Torborg was fired mid-season,paving the way for Mckeon.We all know how that turned out.:)
Can you say 8 in the eighth, game 6,NLCS ?:bandance:

DSpivack
08-11-2010, 06:11 PM

I don't mind Mark Gonzales.

Jpgr91
08-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Ozzie has more power with the Sox than he would ever have with any other organization. There is also no way that JR ever fires him. The Sox also field a competitive team pretty much every year. In Chicago he has power, job security, and a competitive team. Why would he leave all of that?

doublem23
08-11-2010, 11:42 PM

There sports staff is awful, that's for sure, I don't mind the rest of the staff there, especially when considering the alternative is the Sun-Times, written at a level for people who can't read 3-syllable words.

SBSoxFan
08-12-2010, 06:20 AM
David Haugh is an idiot.

If you think he's an idiot now, you should have seen what he wrote when he worked in South Bend.

soxfanreggie
08-12-2010, 07:31 AM
Ozzie has more power with the Sox than he would ever have with any other organization. There is also no way that JR ever fires him. The Sox also field a competitive team pretty much every year. In Chicago he has power, job security, and a competitive team. Why would he leave all of that?

I don't think Ozzie would be fired barring any major incident, but I think there could be a negotiated departure someday if we had a long stretch of sucking it up. The Marlins have some good talent, but they need to lower their expectations if they're going to spend $50 million or less in a year and not increase the payroll to keep talent there. They haven't had a payroll above $50 million since 2005, and that (at $60 million) was the only time since 2000 that it has been over $50 million.

Josh Johnson and Hanley Ramirez's salaries are going up a combined $8 million next year and then $10 million more in 2012, and a lot of their younger talent is becoming more expensive in arbitration or coming up on their first multi-year deals. They're going to have to "pony up" to keep some of these guys in addition to what they have tied up in their two "superstars".

I'm not sure Ozzie would like a situation where he's expected to compete in the NL East with a payroll that small.

Moses_Scurry
08-12-2010, 08:32 AM
The only way Ozzie gets fired, in my opinion, is with two or three terrible seasons in a row. It will require even more if they hang on to win the division this year. With that speculation, I hope that Ozzie is the Sox manager until he retires. I would rather have the Sox win with Ozzie's frustrating actions than have two or three seasons in the ****ter.

hawkjt
08-12-2010, 08:34 AM
You never say never, but I think the whole Ozzie/Kenny thing is hugely overblown,and hopefully, Jerry will never let Ozzie get away. I doubt he will. Ozzie is good for the Chicago White Sox in almost every way possible.
Ozzie is underrated by some on here,but he is a very good manager,who handles our pitching extremely well.

soxfanreggie
08-12-2010, 09:00 AM
This season so far, he does have his second highest win pct. as a manager at .569. That's .023 higher than when we won the Central in 2008. If he wins the division this year, I think that gives him at least a couple "grace" years. If we see the ALCS or World Series, even longer.

Moses_Scurry
08-12-2010, 09:25 AM
If he wins another world series this year, not only will he be entrenched as a White Sox manager for life (unless he does something REALLY stupid), but people will start talking about the hall of fame! Wouldn't THAT be something?!

soltrain21
08-12-2010, 10:05 AM
If he wins another world series this year, not only will he be entrenched as a White Sox manager for life (unless he does something REALLY stupid), but people will start talking about the hall of fame! Wouldn't THAT be something?!

I don't know about the Hall of Fame.

Dibbs
08-12-2010, 10:32 AM
He can take Kotsay with him. Maybe even sign Wise as a free agent.

Moses_Scurry
08-12-2010, 10:43 AM
I don't know about the Hall of Fame.

I'm not saying he would be a lock for the HOF by any means. I just mean that people would start bringing into the conversation. IF Ozzie were to win the series this year, AND stay as manager of the Sox for the next 15-20 years after, AND have similar winning pct. success as he had previously without winning any more world series, he would be in the HOF. Think about it:

Long career with one team, more wins than losses and a decent number of winning seasons, 2 championships = HOF.

Those numbers would put him with guys like Lou Piniella, Whitey Herzog, Tony LaRussa, Bobby Cox, Tom LaSorda, etc who are in the hall of fame or expected to be when their time is up.

If the Sox win the World Series this year Ozzie will never be fired. Whether he goes long enough for the Hall will depend on his own desire. And, as a Sox fan, is there anything wrong with that?

LITTLE NELL
08-12-2010, 11:31 AM
It would not break my heart if he left, but I would not mind him staying on either. If we win the division this year, thats a WS and 2 divisions in his 7 years here. As of last night; Won-Loss record is 576-511=.530 winning pct. Not bad.
I get a little tired of his rants like the one last week with the translation problem. If he has a gripe like that, go to Jerry, don't cry to the press.

eriqjaffe
08-12-2010, 11:51 AM
If we win the division this year, thats a WS and 2 divisions in his 7 years here.3 divisions, actually. ;)

Nelfox02
08-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Love him, like him, or hate him, you cant dispute the fact that Ozzie has essentially been the face of our team for sometime now. I think that is not only a testament to Ozzie but also the fact that we have not had a true superstar player on this team since Frank....and by the time time OG took over Frank was in his twilight years...

Yeah he says some stupid things, yeah some of his approaches to the game are debatable, but at the end of the day he keeps the team in the press........

When all was said and done I would be a bit bummed if he were to leave.....when you look at the managers we had in the years leading up to him, Guillen was the fresh air/ass kicking this organization needed

LITTLE NELL
08-12-2010, 12:31 PM
3 divisions, actually. ;)

The World Series was all inclusive.(WS, AL Pennant and Division)

kittle42
08-12-2010, 02:28 PM
There sports staff is awful, that's for sure, I don't mind the rest of the staff there, especially when considering the alternative is the Sun-Times, written at a level for people who can't read 3-syllable words.

Ouch, dubs.

eriqjaffe
08-12-2010, 02:32 PM
The World Series was all inclusive.(WS, AL Pennant and Division)True, but I think it counts as a separate accomplishment since it's possible to win a World Series without winning a Division.

soxfanreggie
08-12-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm not saying he would be a lock for the HOF by any means. I just mean that people would start bringing into the conversation. IF Ozzie were to win the series this year, AND stay as manager of the Sox for the next 15-20 years after, AND have similar winning pct. success as he had previously without winning any more world series, he would be in the HOF. Think about it:

Long career with one team, more wins than losses and a decent number of winning seasons, 2 championships = HOF.

Those numbers would put him with guys like Lou Piniella, Whitey Herzog, Tony LaRussa, Bobby Cox, Tom LaSorda, etc who are in the hall of fame or expected to be when their time is up.

If the Sox win the World Series this year Ozzie will never be fired. Whether he goes long enough for the Hall will depend on his own desire. And, as a Sox fan, is there anything wrong with that?

I think he could make it as a manager even if he doesn't manage for 20 years. He could probably have a chance at getting in over a 12-15 year period if he puts up two more W.S. championships and a few more playoff appearances on top of that. To me, a Hall of Fame manager who leads a team that doesn't spend like the Yankees, Red Sox, or Cubs to three or more W.S. titles should be in the Hall. I'd rather take a guy in there who wins 3 over 12 years, plus other playoff appearances, than a guy who manages for 20 and wins one but has a few hundred more overall wins.

A harder part for managers getting in the Hall will be that they're paid more, meaning you might not have guys want to coach into their late 60s and beyond if they have multi-millions in the bank. It might not be worth the stress to them when they can be with their families and on the golf course.

LITTLE NELL
08-12-2010, 03:02 PM
True, but I think it counts as a separate accomplishment since it's possible to win a World Series without winning a Division.

Well then give him the A.L. pennant too.

eriqjaffe
08-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Well then give him the A.L. pennant too.Good point.

doublem23
08-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Well then give him the A.L. pennant too.

You have to win the AL to win the World Series.

You don't have to win the division to win the World Series.

eriqjaffe
08-12-2010, 03:39 PM
You have to win the AL to win the World Series.

You don't have to win the division to win the World Series.But you don't have to win the division to win the pennant! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/fizzjob/ahhh.gif