PDA

View Full Version : Time For New Game Plan

JC456
08-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Well I have witnessed yet another bombing at the Cell from the Minnesota Twins. Whatever Ozzie has for a game plan, I'd blow it up cause it don't work. lost 7 out of 8 at home to the Twins. And most have been just like last night.

On a side note; everyone knows Ozzie likes to call the Twins Piranhas, well I'll take a line from Jaws and just say, Ozzie needs a bigger boat!!!!!

doublem23
08-11-2010, 08:27 AM
I think we should start by allowing less than 5 HR.

beasly213
08-11-2010, 08:31 AM

Good Plan.

JC456
08-11-2010, 10:04 AM
LOL!

I think they also should stop intentionally walking Jason Kubel.

voodoochile
08-11-2010, 11:11 AM
LOL!

I think they also should stop intentionally walking Jason Kubel.

Start with fixing the HR problem then if necessary they can stop walking Kubel too...

kevingrt
08-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Start with fixing the HR problem then if necessary they can stop walking Kubel too...

That would entail pitching better right?

GoGoCrede
08-11-2010, 11:23 AM

Twins should stop letting Kubel exist. I think he's taken over for Gomez for most maddening Twins player for me.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Twins should stop letting Kubel exist. I think he's taken over for Gomez for most maddening Twins player for me.

He can hit like crap against everyone else, but as long as he continues to kill the Sox he will be gainfully employed by the Twins.

Nelfox02
08-11-2010, 12:27 PM
He can hit like crap against everyone else, but as long as he continues to kill the Sox he will be gainfully employed by the Twins.

Someone had to take over that role for them after Carlos Gomez left the team right?

The Twins are a good team, not the "best team in MLB once Morneau comes back" as a few others have posted in other threads, but they are a solid team. It seems when they play us the last few years, whether it be here or at their place they step it up a notch. Our pitcher makes a mistake? They hit it hard. Chance to take the extra base? they take it. Avoid mistakes? They do a darn good job with that. Execute move em over and get em in? Check.

When we play them? its almost the opposite. Their pitchers make mistakes and we let them off the hook a lot, foul it a way or just miss, yeah we put some runs on Baker last night but he got away with a lot of pitches......Big Game was punished every time.

I have felt from the outset of the season the Twins were the better overall team than the Sox, for the sox to beat them out in this race and take this division it is going to be very tough, can our roster step up and play like there is no tomorrow for the rest of the seaoson, but especially in the 8 left with the Twinks?

Guess we will find out in a few hours

voodoochile
08-11-2010, 12:45 PM

This would be the place to look, yes...

delben91
08-11-2010, 12:59 PM

I'll go out on a limb and say the Sox get a better pitching performance tonight than last night.

downstairs
08-11-2010, 02:33 PM
The part where we gave them three home runs in an inning? Don't do that.

JC456
08-11-2010, 02:46 PM
.. or change up pitch selection. When I watch the Twins players at the plate, it almost looks like they know what is coming; i.e. curve, fastball, etc. I was more thinking the Sox cathers or bench, have a pattern to their pitch selection and the Twins have figured it out.

I don't know, I just know I'm tired of going to Twins games and watching the Twins take batting practice during the game.

I also would have liked to have seen a brush back or hit someone last evening after the second inning. Sometimes a little wild has its advantages.

doublem23
08-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Freddy's been good for us all year, but he's struggled since the All-Star Break; his BAA since then is .374. That's insane. I hope this is just a slump and not predictive of the performance we will be seeing from him for the rest of the year, but he's just not pitched well for the last few weeks.

We have our #2 guy going tonight and our #1 guy going tomorrow. If the Twins beat us like a drum again these next two games, I will agree it's time to panic.

balke
08-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Freddy's been good for us all year, but he's struggled since the All-Star Break; his BAA since then is .374. That's insane. I hope this is just a slump and not predictive of the performance we will be seeing from him for the rest of the year, but he's just not pitched well for the last few weeks.

We have our #2 guy going tonight and our #1 guy going tomorrow. If the Twins beat us like a drum again these next two games, I will agree it's time to panic.

I wouldn't "panic" about anything until after the next set with the Twinkies. There's a lot of games coming up. I consider this losing 1 of 6. Or really - 1 of 9 because the Detroit series can add some padding or hurt.

JC456
08-11-2010, 03:36 PM

the problem is they scored 5 runs off the relief, which wasn't much better.

doublem23
08-11-2010, 03:39 PM
the problem is they scored 5 runs off the relief, which wasn't much better.

Yeah, but those runs came off Pena (a wild card, far from reliable) and Linebrink (****ing wooooooooooooooooooooooooorthless).

Not worried.

DumpJerry
08-11-2010, 03:48 PM
I also would have liked to have seen a brush back or hit someone last evening after the second inning. Sometimes a little wild has its advantages.
The Twins need to hear some chin music. Time for old fashioned baseball. I say bring in Linkbrink to to the deed (to Kubel, please). That way we send a message to the Twinks and we lose the availability of Linebrink for seven games. Two birds=one stone.

Procol Harum
08-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Ironically, the Twins with their advantage in offensive capability seem to be a better fit for the Cell than the Sox at this particular juncture--particularly when the weather and humidity begin to ramp up and the ball starts to fly out of there like it's an American Legion field.

We needs us some stinkin' pitchin' tonight! :mad:

Rikirk
08-11-2010, 09:05 PM
If the Sox had a lineup full of clutch hitters, we'd have something going for ourselves.
Clutch + Power is a good combination, just look at the Twins.

asindc
08-11-2010, 10:00 PM
If the Sox had a lineup full of clutch hitters, we'd have something going for ourselves.
Clutch + Power is a good combination, just look at the Twins.

I take it that you are not aware that the 2nd best team in the AL for BA with RISP is the Sox.

The way I see it, the game plan is fine, execution is the key. Six runs is good enough to win a vast majority of the games a team plays, so I'm guessing that the game plan does not include giving up 12 runs to the other team.

Rikirk
08-11-2010, 10:34 PM
In a perfect world, the Sox would have the perfect combination of pitching and batting.
Were supposed to have one of the best pitching staffs....on paper.
Didnt seem that way last night.

All I wish for is consistancy sometimes.

voodoochile
08-11-2010, 10:39 PM
In a perfect world, the Sox would have the perfect combination of pitching and batting.
Were supposed to have one of the best pitching staffs....on paper.
Didnt seem that way last night.

All I wish for is consistancy sometimes.

Consistency is achieved over the course of a 162 game season, not in 3 or 4 game swings. The Sox ran out their fifth starter last night against one of the best hitting teams in MLB. Now Freddy may well be the best 5th starter in the game, but he's still a 5th starter. Nothing more, noting less. He had a bad night and got tattooed. Then the Sox went to long relief and those guys are always lesser pitching talents from a MLB perspective and he got tattooed too.

In a perfect world the Sox would got 162-0 every season and 11-0 in the playoffs, but that's never going to happen (unless they sign Lebron, Wade and Bosh :tongue: ) so we'll have to struggle through like ever other team and try to win 90+ and see what happens...

JC456
08-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Consistency is achieved over the course of a 162 game season, not in 3 or 4 game swings. The Sox ran out their fifth starter last night against one of the best hitting teams in MLB. Now Freddy may well be the best 5th starter in the game, but he's still a 5th starter. Nothing more, noting less. He had a bad night and got tattooed. Then the Sox went to long relief and those guys are always lesser pitching talents from a MLB perspective and he got tattooed too.

In a perfect world the Sox would got 162-0 every season and 11-0 in the playoffs, but that's never going to happen (unless they sign Lebron, Wade and Bosh :tongue: ) so we'll have to struggle through like ever other team and try to win 90+ and see what happens...
I agree with you!

Having said all of that, the Sox don't play Minnesota well. They don't pitch well to their hitters. It has been this way for over many years. Hell Cudyer is batting 500 off of Danks for heaven sakes. My post was to see if it might be that Minnesota has picked up on something our pitchers are doing. I.e. are they tipping their pitches, or has Minnesota figured out that the Sox pitchers throw particular pitches in situations and look for those pitches. Do they perhaps pitch to the outside corner too often.

Hey Danks pitched inside quite a bit last evening and it paid off. Cudyer still got him, but that is what I was looking for.

Floyd needs to stay with that theme and let the Twins go back to the drawing board on trying to figure our staff out.

Perhaps it is simpler to just ask Ozzie to consider adjusting a bit.