PDA

View Full Version : Torre Does It Again

RKMeibalane
06-25-2002, 07:54 PM
In spite of the fact that Barry Zito of the Oakland A's has winning percentage better than .800 (10-2 going into last night), Joe Torre said that he will not select the left-hander for this year's All Star game because he has a start the Sunday before the break. Now, I realize there is the small chance that Zito could injure himself, but come on. It's not fair for someone to work his ass off and put up excellent numbers, only to be denied by a manager who clearly takes himself too seriously.

Chisox_cali
06-25-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
In spite of the fact that Barry Zito of the Oakland A's has winning percentage better than .800 (10-2 going into last night), Joe Torre said that he will not select the left-hander for this year's All Star game because he has a start the Sunday before the break. Now, I realize there is the small chance that Zito could injure himself, but come on. It's not fair for someone to work his ass off and put up excellent numbers, only to be denied by a manager who clearly takes himself too seriously.

I agree, Zito could pitch 1 inning, and he would probably be fine, or just have him face a batter or 2. He deserves to be in the All-Star Game.

MattSharp
06-25-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

I agree, Zito could pitch 1 inning, and he would probably be fine, or just have him face a batter or 2. He deserves to be in the All-Star Game.

Yea, I have seen pitches only fave 1 or 2 batters so why couldn't he? Torre is an ass, but what else is new......

MisterB
06-25-2002, 10:07 PM
my bad..

rmusacch
06-25-2002, 10:35 PM

It will just allow him to put another Yankee on the team. It is bull****. If one of his pitchers was in the damn situation, you can be damn sure that guy would be on the All Star team.

rmusacch
06-25-2002, 10:35 PM

Didn't he do something like that to some pitcher last year?

SoxxoS
06-25-2002, 10:58 PM
I would like to see the Yankees not win the pennant one of these years just so Joe Torre cant manage the all-star game.

rmusacch
06-25-2002, 11:03 PM

I just looked it up Zito is scheduled to start on Thursday so no problem there.

WinningUgly!
06-25-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

Didn't he do something like that to some pitcher last year?

Last year he was going to snub Jeff Nelson as payback for leaving the Yanks for Seattle. Bobby Valentine took some shots at Torre for the snub-job to Nelson. Torre eventually waivered & put Nelson on the squad when somebody couldn't make it due to injury.

rmusacch
06-25-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Last year he was going to snub Jeff Nelson as payback for leaving the Yanks for Seattle. Bobby Valentine took some shots at Torre for the snub-job to Nelson. Torre eventually waivered & put Nelson on the squad when somebody couldn't make it due to injury.

That is bush league.

rmusacch
06-25-2002, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Torre and Bobby Cox might be the two biggest ahole managers in the big leagues.

TheBigHurt
06-26-2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I would like to see the Yankees not win the pennant one of these years just so Joe Torre cant manage the all-star game.

In my dreams

RKMeibalane
06-26-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

I know just what you mean. The Midsummer Classic has become the New York Yankee Classic instead. I heard a rumor about five Yankees being included in the starting lineup for this year's game. I can understand the selctions of Giambi, Jeter, and Soriano, but I will be extremely irritated if any more of their players start. Fans need to stop voting for the Yankees. The problem is, there are too many frontrunners who root for that team... just because they're the Yankees.

hold2dibber
06-26-2002, 12:57 PM
According to Rooney & Farmer last night, Torre said he wouldn't take any starting pitcher who started that Sunday, and they went on to say that Buehrle is scheduled to start that Sunday. So he might get a Torre snub too. I wouldn't be shocked if the only Sox player on the roster is Durham, since there are no other 2B in the AL other than Soriano who have done anything this year, and because Torrie is a jagoff who would not hesitate to snub PK, Maggs or Buehrle.

FanOf14
06-26-2002, 12:59 PM
He's snubbed a few players whyile being in charge of picking them and every time he does, he looks more and more like an idiot.

Cheryl
06-26-2002, 01:15 PM
I wish that idiot was our manager.

Paulwny
06-26-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I wouldn't be shocked if the only Sox player on the roster is Durham, since there are no other 2B in the AL other than Soriano who have done anything this year, and because Torrie is a jagoff who would not hesitate to snub PK, Maggs or Buehrle.

Torre will have three ss, A-Rod, Nomar and Jeter. He'll use one of them if he needs someone to play 2nd base. Any of them would be better then Ray and he knows this.
The choice will be between Maggs and Konerko.

nut_stock
06-26-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

Torre will have three ss, A-Rod, Nomar and Jeter. He'll use one of them if he needs someone to play 2nd base. Any of them would be better then Ray and he knows this.
The choice will be between Maggs and Konerko.

i know 1st base is deep, but that should be an easy choice, Paul's in.

TheBigHurt
06-26-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock

i know 1st base is deep, but that should be an easy choice, Paul's in.

yeah i agree I cant see how torre will not take PK. as for Buerhle :angry: