PDA

View Full Version : Impressions of Jackson and Sale from behind home plate

bigdommer
08-10-2010, 02:29 PM
I sat a couple rows off the field last night and thought I would share what I saw from our new guys.

Jackson - His stuff can be pretty electric. The gun at the game seemed low for him, with a lot of fastballs clocked 91-93, but it looked more like 93-95 as a lot of guys had late swings early in the game. His slider was just nasty when down in the zone. A lot of bad swings and shaking heads on the way back to the dugout. We all know this, but his command is pretty shaky. He threw multiple balls to the screen in his warmup tosses, one of which AJ didn't come close to catching. I guess you could call him wildly effective, if he's down in the zone. His stuff really started to flatten out in the later innings when the O's were getting lots of good swings off of him. You can tell that he has the ability to be a top of the rotation guy, and is at worst a back end guy who can't log a ton of innings because of his pitch count. Jackson was shorter than I expected, but well put together.

Sale - Body wise, the opposite of what Jackson: taller and lankier than I expected. His motion is a little funky because he is tall and then gets down to a 3/4 level. The fastball had a ton of zip on it, and because of the arm angle, looks faster than the 95-96 on the gun. I saw a couple of 2-seamer's in the low 90's with some good sink. Slider was short and quick. I did not see a changeup as he did not throw many pitches. I like his ceiling because of how hard he throws and his funky delivery is deceptive. He walked around with a little bit of confidence too. My only complaint would be that tacky chain.

Other thoughts - I was suprised at how much some guys hustled (TCQ, TCM, Dayan) and not surprised by others lack of hustle (AJ, Konerko). Thornton throws absolute gas. I understand why AJ only puts down one finger. Dayan absolutely rakes and will be an above average slugging first baseman. Buck Schowalter is about 4 and a half feet tall. Brian Roberts doesn't get cheated.

kittle42
08-10-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm sorry, I don't do impressions. My training is in psychiatry.

KenBerryGrab
08-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Konerko IS hustling. He's just that slow.

Corlose 15
08-10-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm sorry, I don't do impressions. My training is in psychiatry.

Seriously? I would've pegged you for a professorial type.

Anyways, in regard to Thornton, I was at the last game in Detroit and his fastball is mighty impressive.

bigdommer
08-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Konerko IS hustling. He's just that slow.

Konerko kind of runs like he's running on rocks and jumping from one to another. Very deliberate and mighty slow.

kevingrt
08-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Konerko kind of runs like he's running on rocks and jumping from one to another. Very deliberate and mighty slow.

Yet quite the opposite of guys like Benji Molina and Ramon Castro who seem to be running for their life yet are running in quick sand.

oeo
08-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Jackson was pretty filthy last night. He made the Orioles look worse than any of our other starters in the series. That could have been for any number of reasons, but still thought he looked the best of the four. Too bad the offense and defense let him down, probably took him right back to Arizona nightmares.

WhiteSox5187
08-10-2010, 04:46 PM
One thing I noticed about Jackson was in the sixth where he got into trouble, though admittedly not much, he was throwing much harder with guys on base and missing by a LOT. I am not too familiar with his previous starts with us or on other teams, but that looked like he was over throwing it which is almost as much of a psychological problem rather than anything with mechanics or stuff.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-10-2010, 05:37 PM

Or like he's running on an icy sidewalk in January.