PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Beltran...Anyone?

AzureJazzMan
08-10-2010, 11:47 AM
http://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/Heyman_Cites_Beltran_As_A_Met_Who_Could_Hit_Waiver _Wires/2981178

Switch hitter, solid past performance, having a down year coming off injury. Mets are not happy with him, and have a replacement.

Sounds like a KW special. Could he be a waiver pick up, ala the Rios deal last year? Would anyone else on this board have an interest?

dickallen15
08-10-2010, 11:57 AM
$19 million a year. No chance unless the Mets throw in a ton of money.

chisox616
08-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Well, I guess the money increases our chances of getting him, as not too many bad teams would want to pick up that much salary.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-10-2010, 12:05 PM
I don't even want him on my fantasy team, let alone on the real one. PASS

AzureJazzMan
08-10-2010, 12:23 PM
$19 million a year. No chance unless the Mets throw in a ton of money.

Well, I guess the money increases our chances of getting him, as not too many bad teams would want to pick up that much salary.

@DickAllen: Give them a decent prospect and they might be willing to eat half

@ChiSox616: Exactly! Just like with Rios.

october23sp
08-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Yes please. Won't happen though.

palehozenychicty
08-10-2010, 01:00 PM
If the Mets kick in some bread, he can be a DH and spell Rios/Quentin in RF. I'd then decide which injured guy to keep in the offseason, since Beltran is a FA. Beltran has a longer track record, but relies on his athleticism, and who knows with those knees. His durability is even more of a question than TCQ. So in short....I don't see it. :redneck

khan
08-10-2010, 01:09 PM
@DickAllen: Give them a decent prospect and they might be willing to eat half

Really? Like WHO?

I'm fascinated to read which one of the polished turds down in the craptacular SOX minor league system would be considered a "decent prospect."

AzureJazzMan
08-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Really? Like WHO?

I'm fascinated to read which one of the polished turds down in the craptacular SOX minor league system would be considered a "decent prospect."

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=17

There you go...Hope that helps :D: Research and study...Have a nice day!

UofCSoxFan
08-10-2010, 02:14 PM
If the Sox put a claim on Beltran, they are getting him for the full $19 million. Why would the Mets try to work out a trade for a mediocre prospect and pay $9.5 million when they could just get out of this bad contract altother by letting the claim go through. They could then take the $9.5 million and sign some good players. Once the Sox put in the claim they lose all leverage. Claims cannot be taken back so its not like the Sox can say "we'll only take him if you eat half." That may have flown pre-trade deadline.

The White Sox would then be stuck. Unlike Rios, Beltran is coming off a bunch of injuries and is older, he's never going to be close to worth it.

Pass.

khan
08-10-2010, 02:40 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=17

There you go...Hope that helps :D: Research and study...Have a nice day!

In other words, you really have no clue. Got it.

Thanks!

khan
08-10-2010, 02:43 PM
If the Sox put a claim on Beltran, they are getting him for the full $19 million. Why would the Mets try to work out a trade for a mediocre prospect and pay $9.5 million when they could just get out of this bad contract altother by letting the claim go through. They could then take the $9.5 million and sign some good players. Once the Sox put in the claim they lose all leverage. Claims cannot be taken back so its not like the Sox can say "we'll only take him if you eat half." That may have flown pre-trade deadline.

The White Sox would then be stuck. Unlike Rios, Beltran is coming off a bunch of injuries and is older, he's never going to be close to worth it.

Pass.

Exactly. Which is why I was curious as to what the OP would consider to be a "decent prospect." [Particularly since a claim/trade would be stupid, AND that the SOX have exactly Jack and **** in the minors.]

KMcMahon817
08-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Exactly. Which is why I was curious as to what the OP would consider to be a "decent prospect." [Particularly since a claim/trade would be stupid, AND that the SOX have exactly Jack and **** in the minors.]

I mean, I know you're negative, but c'mon. There are a few decent prospects in the Sox system, some a few years away, some that are probably MLB bench players at best in their future, but still. If KW really wanted to get Carlos Beltran and his enormous contract for the rest of 2010, and IF the Mets were interested in picking up some of his contract for a prospect, it could be done.

munchman33
08-10-2010, 03:09 PM
I mean, I know you're negative, but c'mon. There are a few decent prospects in the Sox system, some a few years away, some that are probably MLB bench players at best in their future, but still. If KW really wanted to get Carlos Beltran and his enormous contract for the rest of 2010, and IF the Mets were interested in picking up some of his contract for a prospect, it could be done.

The only two decent prospects in our system are Sale and Beckham, both currently on the major league roster. Our next most valuable young players are B prospects Viciedo (whose suspect ability to walk enough to have a successful career has continued in the majors) and Flowers (who only has value at catcher, and isn't very good defensively). Nobody else in the system has any real "value" trade wise. When I say that, I mean any more or less than your basic minor leaguer does.

UofCSoxFan
08-10-2010, 03:15 PM

We aren't saying we don't have anyone to trade for Beltran, we're saying that there is NO WAY the Mets would ever pay $1 of his contract.

When a team, say the Mets, puts a player on waivers, after the trade deadline (Beltran) and he is claimed by a team, let's say the White Sox, they have 1 of three options:

1) Pull Beltran back and keep him on their team the rest of they year
2) Let him go to the White Sox and make the White Sox pay all the salary
3) Try to work out a trade...for the trade to work, the player the Sox send must pass through waivers or not be on the 40 man roster. If the Met's take this option, the Sox could then walk away.

So again, I ask you, why would the Mets risk option 3 (that the Sox may walk away) when they can get rid of a $19 million deadweight deal and use the money next year to greatly imporve their team (option 2)? The only way the Mets would do this is if they could get a good player back (who won't clear waivers going back. The Mets aren't going to take a mediocre prospect and take on $9 million to do so. Hell, even if the Mets only had to take on $500,000 of the $19,000,0000 and could get a prospect like Jared Mitchell back, they probably wouldn't do it, since the risk of the Sox walking away, eliminating their one chance to unload an horrible contract, cannot be balanced by any prospect not on the 40 man roster.

If you think Beltran is worth $19 million, fine, by all means claim him, but getting Beltran for $10 million and a prospect won't ever, in a million years, happen.

The only way you get players through Waivers is by taken on a lot of bad salary or by acquiring a marginal player for a marginal prospect. This is why waiver trades are not common.

The Sox got Rios last year because the Jays wanted out of the contract...they weren't about to try to work a trade and risk us walking away. This is no different. The one difference between Rios and Beltran, however, is Rios was still young and talented and had a chance to live up to his deal. Beltran not so much.

KMcMahon817
08-10-2010, 04:51 PM
We aren't saying we don't have anyone to trade for Beltran, we're saying that there is NO WAY the Mets would ever pay $1 of his contract.

When a team, say the Mets, puts a player on waivers, after the trade deadline (Beltran) and he is claimed by a team, let's say the White Sox, they have 1 of three options:

3) Try to work out a trade...for the trade to work, the player the Sox send must pass through waivers or not be on the 40 man roster. If the Met's take this option, the Sox could then walk away.

So again, I ask you, why would the Mets risk option 3 (that the Sox may walk away) when they can get rid of a $19 million deadweight deal and use the money next year to greatly imporve their team (option 2)? The only way the Mets would do this is if they could get a good player back (who won't clear waivers going back. The Mets aren't going to take a mediocre prospect and take on $9 million to do so. Hell, even if the Mets only had to take on $500,000 of the $19,000,0000 and could get a prospect like Jared Mitchell back, they probably wouldn't do it, since the risk of the Sox walking away, eliminating their one chance to unload an horrible contract, cannot be balanced by any prospect not on the 40 man roster.

If you think Beltran is worth $19 million, fine, by all means claim him, but getting Beltran for $10 million and a prospect won't ever, in a million years, happen.

The only way you get players through Waivers is by taken on a lot of bad salary or by acquiring a marginal player for a marginal prospect. This is why waiver trades are not common.

The Sox got Rios last year because the Jays wanted out of the contract...they weren't about to try to work a trade and risk us walking away. This is no different. The one difference between Rios and Beltran, however, is Rios was still young and talented and had a chance to live up to his deal. Beltran not so much.

Thanks for the waiver wire 101, but I am more than aware of how waiver claims work. KW isn't claiming Beltran, so its all pointless anyway.

Craig Grebeck
08-10-2010, 05:00 PM
In a thread that discusses "decent prospects," I'm somewhat shocked that a ctrl+f search for "Morel" yielded no hits. Come on, guys. Morel is absolutely a decent prospect.

munchman33
08-10-2010, 05:43 PM
In a thread that discusses "decent prospects," I'm somewhat shocked that a ctrl+f search for "Morel" yielded no hits. Come on, guys. Morel is absolutely a decent prospect.

Nothing like a 3rd basemen with average speed and no power...

I like Morel, and I can see with a lot of work power coming to him, but it's still up in the air. In terms of trade value, he won't get you all that much.

Zisk77
08-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Well. since Beltran will most certainly CLEAR waivers...then at that time the sox (or any team) can negotiate a trade for him with the mets eating some salary (and celery too) for prospects or in our case suspects.:redneck

getonbckthr
08-10-2010, 06:10 PM
How much are they willing to pick up? Or perhaps take Linebrink and Teahen if they so desperately want to get rid of him.

SOXSINCE'70
08-10-2010, 06:37 PM
I was in Philly visiting my Dad this weekend. Saw all 3 Phils/Mets games.
Beltran needs a rest.His swing looks long and slow to me.Rest the injury and come back in 2011,but i'll pass,no thanks.

tm1119
08-10-2010, 06:50 PM

So again, I ask you, why would the Mets risk option 3 (that the Sox may walk away) when they can get rid of a $19 million deadweight deal and use the money next year to greatly imporve their team (option 2)? The only way the Mets would do this is if they could get a good player back (who won't clear waivers going back. The Mets aren't going to take a mediocre prospect and take on $9 million to do so. Hell, even if the Mets only had to take on $500,000 of the $19,000,0000 and could get a prospect like Jared Mitchell back, they probably wouldn't
do it, since the risk of the Sox walking away, eliminating their one chance to unload an horrible contract, cannot be balanced by any prospect not on the 40 man roster.

If you think Beltran is worth $19 million, fine,
by all means claim him, but getting Beltran for $10 million and a prospect won't ever, in a million years, happen.

The only way you get players through Waivers
is by taken on a lot of bad salary or by acquiring a marginal player for a marginal prospect. This is why waiver trades are not common.

The Sox got Rios last year because the Jays wanted out of the contract...they weren't about
to try to work a trade and risk us walking away. This is no different. The one difference between Rios and Beltran, however, is Rios was still
young and talented and had a chance to live up to his deal. Beltran not so much.

Not completely true. I don't see how the Mets could turn down saving 9M and getting a prospect in return. They need to get F. Martinez in the lineup at some point and Beltran is blocking his path.

I highly doubt ANY team would be willing to take on all of Beltran's contract. Any team who claims will request to work out a trade, if no deal is reached then the 2 teams part ways. It's not set in stone that a team has to take a player after putting in a claim. Again, if we throw someone like Flowers at them and are willing to take on 9M of his contract I don't see how they turn that down.
Would I do that though? Really not sure. I would have to get a 2nd and 3rd opinion on his knee and overall health first.

russ99
08-10-2010, 07:28 PM
How much are they willing to pick up? Or perhaps take Linebrink and Teahen if they so desperately want to get rid of him.

Nobody is going to take Linebrink and/or Teahen for even a B prospect.

We're not like Cubs fans assuming that Hendry's going to get an all-star for a bag of balls, are we?

getonbckthr
08-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Nobody is going to take Linebrink and/or Teahen for even a B prospect.

We're not like Cubs fans assuming that Hendry's going to get an all-star for a bag of balls, are we?
No but I would definately test how much they wanna rid themselves of Beltran.

palehozenychicty
08-11-2010, 09:26 AM
It's not clear how much they love him anymore. He bickered with management last winter over his knee condition, attempting to avoid surgery until the 11th hour. I thought he was overpaid from Day 1, but that was the market at that moment in time. Now, if the Mets want to get rid of Reyes, hmmm...

GAsoxfan
08-11-2010, 10:01 AM
I don't really want Beltran on the Sox, but I think the Mets would basically give him away at this point (even if they had to eat half his salary). Freeing up that money would be payment enough. Spending $9M on Beltran and $9M on a player that can actually help you is better than spending $18M on Beltran.

russ99
08-11-2010, 10:02 AM
I'd love to see Beltran here, but I don't see the Sox adding that kind of salary, especially considering he's been injured and ineffective most of the year.

But it certainly would be a typical Kenny risk vs. reward move.