PDA

View Full Version : Sox-Twins preview column

thomas35forever
08-10-2010, 02:51 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/columns/story?id=5451013
Pretty good read. Greenberg even suggests Cubs fans should watch this series.

cards press box
08-10-2010, 03:05 AM
I was listening to Les Grobstein's show on the Score tonight and one of his first callers was a trucker/Cub fan from Indianapolis who just ripped Sox fans for not filling the park every night. Mr. Greenberg's column likewise discuss the respective attendance of the two Chicago clubs.

I don't want to dwell on this annoying and awfully tired attendance argument except to say three things:

(i) why is it that the Sox lack-of-attendance argument always pop up in seasons where the Cubs tank but the Sox are in contention?

(ii) season tickets drive average attendance and 2009 was not a great year for the Sox and, thus, the season ticket base is lower than it probably will be next year.

(iii) I don't get the fascination with Wrigley Field but, then again, I don't get the fascination with a lot of things that may be popular but are just junk.

There, I got it out of my system.

Dan H
08-10-2010, 07:24 AM
Even though I am a little surprised attendance isn't better, I thought this was a stupid column. Instead of dwelling on Sox attendance, the writer should wonder anyone in their right mind would go see the Cubs this year. The team is more pathetic than it usually is.

Otherwise this was no preview. Just another dumb attendance story.

daveeym
08-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Pretty good read my ass. That was a veiled invitation to do what cub fans do best, come down to the cell and make a spectacle of themselves and keep the focus on the cubs. He's basically trying to create fight night at the cell by teling them to show up in their blue and red with ridiculous signs. What an ass.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-10-2010, 09:02 AM
One of ESPN's darling teams isn't doing well. So, use their woes to incite problems for the other team's fans at a home game.

This guy should stick to doing what that channel does best....and that's not cover sports.

beasly213
08-10-2010, 09:22 AM
What a terrible column. He noted that he looked on Monday for tickets and could still find some. No ****.... lots of Sox fans always buy tix at the box office day of so they can avoid the ticketmaster fees.

I'll be there tonight and if it isn't storming like crazy I expect a big crowd via the walk up.

jdm2662
08-10-2010, 09:44 AM
I was listening to Les Grobstein's show on the Score tonight and one of his first callers was a trucker/Cub fan from Indianapolis who just ripped Sox fans for not filling the park every night. Mr. Greenberg's column likewise discuss the respective attendance of the two Chicago clubs.

I don't want to dwell on this annoying and awfully tired attendance argument except to say three things:

(i) why is it that the Sox lack-of-attendance argument always pop up in seasons where the Cubs tank but the Sox are in contention?

(ii) season tickets drive average attendance and 2009 was not a great year for the Sox and, thus, the season ticket base is lower than it probably will be next year.

(iii) I don't get the fascination with Wrigley Field but, then again, I don't get the fascination with a lot of things that may be popular but are just junk.

There, I got it out of my system.

And, do you know why this topic amuses me to no end? Whenever such Cubbie fan brings this topic up, it's usually someone that barely makes it to one game a year. I've had no time what-so-ever and money is as tight as ever, and I still made it two games this year. It's best to laugh and ignore it. Life is much better that way.

Palehose Pete
08-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Ugh. Is there a number that I can call to get back the 5 minutes that I wasted reading that "article?"

FWIW, I'll be there for Wednesday's game.

Zakath
08-10-2010, 10:33 AM
One of ESPN's darling teams isn't doing well. So, use their woes to incite problems for the other team's fans at a home game.

This guy should stick to doing what that channel does best....and that's not cover sports.

I'm pretty ESPN only has two darling teams, and neither one of them is named Cubs...

october23sp
08-10-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm pretty ESPN only has two darling teams, and neither one of them is named Cubs...

The Cubs are an ESPN darling team. If the Cubs make the playoffs it is Cubs watch.

Quentin08
08-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Ughh. What a terrible "article". How could you recommend something so asinine as bringing your family to the Cell dressed in red and blue Cubbie gear with signs like "I hate the White Sox but I love baseball"?! :o: That's probably the most ridiculous thing I've read by a sports columnist ever, and that's saying a lot. I wish he was joking, but I'm afraid he wasn't.

I guess we'll have to get used to these attendance articles in the upcoming week, because this next series isn't selling well at all. Unless there's a record walk-up crowd tonight, it looks like we'll only get 25K. Just enjoy the series, and ignore all the jealous idiots who bring up attendance or just don't read or watch the news afterwards.

soxlady8
08-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Espn shows love to specific teams.

#1 being the Yanks and #2 being Boston
I have also discovered that they show favoritism to the CUBS and it also seems TEXAS (with them winning now ) and the Twinks have been showing up more.

The Sox do not get so much love :(

Ex-Chicagoan
08-10-2010, 03:30 PM
It's sad that that passes for a column.

Law11
08-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Time for a new winning streak! Lets Go SOX! Get it done!

ewokpelts
08-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Even though I am a little surprised attendance isn't better, I thought this was a stupid column. Instead of dwelling on Sox attendance, the writer should wonder anyone in their right mind would go see the Cubs this year. The team is more pathetic than it usually is.

Otherwise this was no preview. Just another dumb attendance story.tix are too expensive. $20 to walk in the gates isnt the best price in a recession. cubs can do that becuase they average 35k a game. is it any suprise that the discount codes are so popular or that 1/2 price mondays sell out consistently?

russ99
08-11-2010, 12:46 PM
tix are too expensive. $20 to walk in the gates isnt the best price in a recession. cubs can do that becuase they average 35k a game. is it any suprise that the discount codes are so popular or that 1/2 price mondays sell out consistently?

$20 is only part of the deal. There's transportation and/or parking costs and concessions. We're talking $60 a game at the bare minumum. For me, if I'm going to be paying that much for upper deck seats past the dugouts and above the 10th row, it's really not worth it, I'd rather watch at home or in a bar.

That's why the Cell doesn't sell out so much when there's no ticket discount.

Besides, I prefer to plan ahead. I have great seats for the Tigers series this weekend and Frank Thomas day I picked up in February.