PDA

View Full Version : Mariners Fire Don Wakamatsu

Foulke You
08-09-2010, 02:20 PM
I kind've figured this was coming since the M's have been beyond dreadful this year:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/08/mariners-fire-don-wakamatsu.html

SoxSpeed22
08-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Taking the fall for management.

sox1970
08-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Maybe Joey Cora will get another look after the season.

Foulke You
08-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Perhaps the M's were inspired by the O's recent success with the "great" Buck Showalter.

downstairs
08-09-2010, 02:29 PM

I don't know that much of the Mariners, but didn't everyone expect them to be real good this season? That leads me to believe the management brought in the right players.

doublem23
08-09-2010, 02:34 PM
I don't know that much of the Mariners, but didn't everyone expect them to be real good this season? That leads me to believe the management brought in the right players.

Not neccessarily, they got Cliff Lee but they still had some issues with their rotation, and their biggest off-season acquisition, Chone Figgins, has been beyond terrible.

WhiteSox5187
08-09-2010, 02:46 PM

I thought if all the chips fell right they could make some noise, but I didn't think they'd be THIS bad.

palehozenychicty
08-09-2010, 03:53 PM
It's not too surprising, though. They lost their best hitter in Beltre and he himself couldn't improve their dismal lineup.

DumpJerry
08-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Hendry needs to pick up the phone.

VMSNS
08-09-2010, 03:59 PM
The M's won 85 games last season under him after an absolutely dismal 101-loss season in 2008. I also heard that he was being considered for Manager of the Year last season.

Just goes to show you how managers can take the fall for others. He seemed like a pretty good manager, to me.

SoxNation05
08-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Not neccessarily, they got Cliff Lee but they still had some issues with their rotation, and their biggest off-season acquisition, Chone Figgins, has been beyond terrible.

They pick up a workhorse and ace in Lee but Figgins was their biggest off-season acquisition???

Slappy
08-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Sucks for Wakamatsu who really was given a mess of a team. Your rotation is Felix and Lee and the rest is just bad. There's not one big run producer on that team, either. Ichiro doesn't drive in runs and he doesn't steal that much anymore. Jose Lopez is a notoriously slow starter who still hasn't got hot consistently, and when you're relying on Chone Figgins to drive in runs, you're in trouble. Then there's Milton Bradley and Griffey who were so ineffective, one of them retired and the other sought therapy. Add to that an average closer at best and a sub par bullpen, they're likely the the worst team in baseball.

thomas35forever
08-09-2010, 04:24 PM
What took them so long?

Medford Bobby
08-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Six managers since Sweet Lou!:scratch:

tstrike2000
08-09-2010, 04:43 PM
I don't know much about Wakamatsu as an in game strategist or leader with his scuffles with Figgins, but it was a no win situation for him this year. Underachieving head cases like Figgins and Bradley, a way over the hill Griffey, average power hitting cast-offs like Branyan and Kotchman, and question marks after Lee and King Felix in the rotation really sealed the team's fate, as well as his.

Banix12
08-09-2010, 04:44 PM
After Ichiro the highest batting average on the team was Mike Sweeney, the best of the 4 man DH rotation they have had this season.

Figgins has been terrible this season, but he's second on the team in hits, first in runs, tied for 4th in RBI's, and second among starters in OBP. It just shows how bad the rest of the team has been.

Team was just put together poorly this season. Too many redundant parts and too many other parts that weren't any good. I think Wakamatsu will get another job eventually, if only because his name is so fun to say.

downstairs
08-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Six managers since Sweet Lou!:scratch:

Five. Six including, since 2002!

Melvin
Hargrove
McLaren
Riggleman
Wakamatsu

doublem23
08-09-2010, 05:18 PM
They pick up a workhorse and ace in Lee but Figgins was their biggest off-season acquisition???

In terms of guaranteed money they committed to a player, yes.

WhiteSox5187
08-09-2010, 05:27 PM
When Zudrenik (forgive my spelling) took over I thought he and Wakamatsu were going to go on a rebuilding process and they wouldn't be too competitive for awhile but I thought last year he made a lot of great moves and then they managed to contend which really was a bit of a fluke and I thought they got greedy by leaving their plan and trying to win right now. I thought that was a big mistake, but I don't follow that organization too closely so I might be dead wrong.

soxinem1
08-09-2010, 05:36 PM

Then be back on the bench with Ozzie mid-way through the 2012 season.

Team was just put together poorly this season. Too many redundant parts and too many other parts that weren't any good. I think Wakamatsu will get another job eventually, if only because his name is so fun to say.

I think he did what he could with what he had. He had a similar cast last year and made them winners.

cards press box
08-09-2010, 05:40 PM

Then be back on the bench with Ozzie mid-way through the 2012 season.

Yeah, that's the problem. I would love to see Joey Cora get the chance to manage a big league club. He is smart and, by all accounts, a good teacher. But the Mariners are just a mess, right now. I'm pretty sure that any manager taking over Seattle will have a hard time.

Medford Bobby
08-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Five. Six including, since 2002!

Melvin
Hargrove
McLaren
Riggleman
Wakamatsu

Your right that's true including the current interim manager since 2002.:wink:

Boondock Saint
08-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Wakamatsu will have a job next year or sooner. It's pretty stupid to blame your manager for not having a single middle of the order hitter.

Medford Bobby
08-09-2010, 06:04 PM
A really good read from July 27th Seattle Times Mariner blog about the state of the Mariner's future.......:(:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/marinersblog/2012459992_comments_on_a_reported_rift_be.html?prm id=obinsite

TDog
08-09-2010, 06:08 PM

A lot of the Western media wear picking the Mariners to win the division. It wasn't necessarily that they were a great team, but the consensus was they would be at least as good as everyone else -- the Angels having lost so much, the A's being the A's and the Rangers being the Rangers.

I was skeptical about the Mariners, but I'm surprised they have been as bad as they have.

I never believed in Figgins, although WSI consensus was that the Sox needed to sign him. The rules shouldn't have allowed them to trade Lee midseason to make the Rangers better, not that I'm complaining, really, because anything that keeps the A's out of the postseason has to be considered a good thing.

GoSox2K3
08-13-2010, 02:51 PM
It's a sign of how bad the Mariners really when they can only go 1-9 vs. the Sox.

That's pretty ****ty considering other teams battling for last place (KC, Cle, Balt.) seem to have no problem making us look beatable.

I don't even want to know what our overall record is vs. the other 12 American League teams. I'm sure it's not good.

GoSox2K3
08-13-2010, 02:54 PM
A really good read from July 27th Seattle Times Mariner blog about the state of the Mariner's future.......:(:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/marinersblog/2012459992_comments_on_a_reported_rift_be.html?prm id=obinsite

uh oh. Don't worry, I won't tell Kittle42.:tongue:

goofymsfan
08-16-2010, 11:41 AM
The biggest problem with the M's is Howard Lincoln and Chuck Armstrong holding the purse strings. Instead of committing to rebuilding properly, they want quick fixes and force signings of over priced past their prime vets. Wak was not the problem this year and his firing is like cutting off the arm to save the hand.

When Wak tried to address the fact that people weren't performing well, (Griffey, Bradley, and Figgins) by benching them. You had one (Griffey) cry foul, leave the team and not notify anyone that he had decided to retired until he was several hundred miles away. You had another (Bradley) that left the stadium during a game and another (Figgins) that decided to get into a fist fight in the dugout because he was pulled from a game.

While I know athletes are a bit different, if anyone one of us was not doing what were get paid to do, we wouldn't have our jobs very long. Unfortunately, ball players do think that rule should apply to them.

I don't expect Darren Brown to be the Manager next season so that will be going onto Manager #8.

M's need to get some sort of stability at Manager which unfortunately isn't likely to happen as long as Lincoln and Armstrong are associated with the club. :whiner::whiner::whiner: