PDA

View Full Version : Royals Farm System

balke
08-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Tim Kurkjian on Baseball Tonight said the Royals farm system is as rich as the 2005 Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Here's what I found about it so far. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/110669-royals-farm-system-very-bright

I guess it pays to lose sometimes. The top 3 guys sound awesome. The bottom 3 sound okay - not great. If they took initiative and spent money I could see a great team coming out of that mix.

It's the Royals though - so who knows. Could be Teahan/Gordon all over again.

Moustakas/Butler/Hosmer covering 3B/DH/1B with Grienke and Montgomery in the rotation would be pretty solid as a base to build around. Throw in a CFer and solid veteran SS and they'd be tough.

Also, there's Wil Myers - Catcher. http://royalsprospects.com/?p=744 who looks very solid.

Any Royals fans that know more?

johnnyg83
08-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Tim Kurkjian on Baseball Tonight said the Royals farm system is as rich as the 2005 Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Here's what I found about it so far. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/110669-royals-farm-system-very-bright

I guess it pays to lose sometimes. The top 3 guys sound awesome. The bottom 3 sound okay - not great. If they took initiative and spent money I could see a great team coming out of that mix.

It's the Royals though - so who knows. Could be Teahan/Gordon all over again.

Moustakas/Butler/Hosmer covering 3B/DH/1B with Grienke and Montgomery in the rotation would be pretty solid as a base to build around. Throw in a CFer and solid veteran SS and they'd be tough.

Also, there's Wil Myers - Catcher. http://royalsprospects.com/?p=744 who looks very solid.

Any Royals fans that know more?

Getting a lot of hype here.

"Better overall farm system - Braves or Royals?
Jim Callis: Royals. I haven't sat down and tried to compare all the systems to each other, but the Royals might be No. 1."
- Baseball America Chat, July 21st.

"You'd never know it by the big league club, but no organization is having a better year in the minor leagues than the Kansas City Royals."
- J.J. Cooper, Baseball America Prospects Blog, July 19th.

"[Eric Hosmer] is just a small part of why the Royals have the best minor-league system in the game."
- Kevin Goldstein, Baseball Prospectus, July 5th.

"If you had to pick one team's farm system as the most impressive overall at present, who would it be and why?
Matthew Eddy: I'm really coming around on the Royals. I liked Moustakas, Hosmer,
Myers and Lamb perhaps more than most coming into the year, and they certainly have done nothing to extinguish that flame this year. The Braves and Phillies would also have to be in the discussion, but what separates the Royals is the two elite hitters at the upper levels."
- Baseball America Chat, July 23rd.

08-09-2010, 12:25 PM
No love for Kila Ka'aihue?

Zisk77
08-09-2010, 01:02 PM
No love for Kila Ka'aihue?

gesundheit

seventyseven
08-09-2010, 01:37 PM
One day, "rebuilding" teams will figure out that it doesn't matter how many solid prospects you have in your system. The major league lineup has 9 batters, and the starting rotation has 5 pitchers. If those 14 guys aren't good, you aren't good. Period.

balke
08-09-2010, 01:47 PM
One day, "rebuilding" teams will figure out that it doesn't matter how many solid prospects you have in your system. The major league lineup has 9 batters, and the starting rotation has 5 pitchers. If those 14 guys aren't good, you aren't good. Period.

I agree. I remember the Indians having all that talent ready to take the world by storm. What did they do to help it? NOTHING. They let Omar walk - when he could've taught the young infielders how to defend. They added no big money superstars - and sold off 2 of the best pitchers in the MLB for table scraps. Now they are back at square one with nothing that I've heard of on the horizon.

If KC does it right though - and spends... that's a different story.

Bobby Thigpen
08-09-2010, 01:48 PM
seventyseven and balke- How do you explain the Rays then?

balke
08-09-2010, 01:54 PM

Rays it did work for. I think for them it must be the development. Cleveland and the White Sox from 2002 show me all the prospects don't mean you're going to be good from it.

I think Cleveland got all the talent - and stopped short from getting the guys there to develop it and fill in the holes.

I think the Rays made some good trades along the way as well. They weren't afraid to cut loose clubhouse cancers and IMO Garza and Bartlett was a great move in terms of taking that next step. The rotation is solid cheap and young. I think they got Kazmir for nothing didn't they? And when Kazmir fell - they traded him.

seventyseven
08-09-2010, 02:05 PM

Because they actually developed the players they drafted. They just didn't draft a bunch of highly-touted guys, and project a lineup three years out.

The Rays also didn't waste money (see Gil Meche and his $55MM) in the FA market to appease fans.

DirtySox
08-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Royals farm system is fantastic (currently). It's drool-worthy. So many KC prospects have broken out this year. Some will pan out, some won't. We will have to wait and see what happens, but they have a chance to build a very impressive young core.

DirtySox
08-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Noone has mentioned Christian Colon. He likely won't be a superstar, but he has a chance to be a very good regular at 2B or perhaps SS. He isn't that far away either.

It's Dankerific
08-09-2010, 11:02 PM
You guys need to be talking BA too!