PDA

View Full Version : Should Castro get more playing time?

LoveYourSuit
08-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Let's face it, the folk hero AJ is not cutting it at the plate. Castro IMO throws the ball better and right now is hitting way better.

Should Castro get a split in playing time, 3 games per week?

Not having a legit LH bat is keeping the Sox in bad situation of having to send two very mediocre/poor LH bats out there each and every night. At this point, it might make more sense to go RH 1-9.

Bob Roarman
08-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Honestly, I don't think it would hurt as far as the offense goes. Like I've said before, it's not that AJ is in a slump, it's him being one of the worst offensive players in the entire league. That's how bad he's been this season. I mean, I might take Jason Kendall over AJ right now. At least he can get on base occasionally with a walk.

JB98
08-08-2010, 11:49 PM
My gut tells me Castro would get exposed if he got more regular playing time. However, there's no dancing around the fact that Pierzynski's offense has been killing the Sox.

It's a tough call, but my inclination is not to upset the apple cart too much. The Sox have had a bad weekend, but have played pretty well lately otherwise.

LoveYourSuit
08-08-2010, 11:52 PM
My gut tells me Castro would get exposed if he got more regular playing time. However, there's no dancing around the fact that Pierzynski's offense has been killing the Sox.

It's a tough call, but my inclination is not to upset the apple cart too much. The Sox have had a bad weekend, but have played pretty well lately otherwise.

I have thought the same, but can it get AJ bad for him?

Plus, Castro's approach at the plate has been a delight to watch. Unlike AJ's 2.5 pitches per ABs.

hawkjt
08-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Ramon had been swinging the heck outta the bat,then he had a tough weekend,til that last at bat. Still, I have been advocating that he catch at least 2 of every 5 times thru the rotation,not just Freddy. Now, that said,he was sloppy letting that ball get thru his legs yesterday,a play that AJ makes,and that advanced the runners, and cost us a run,so not sure we can live with his defense more than 40% of the games.

AJ appears to be almost to a point of giving up at that plate. Trying to just get it over with ASAP. Heard on the radio description by DJ on Friday nite vs the O's that on a third strike swing,AJ fell into Wieters,and caused Alexei to be called out on a steal....DJ flat out said that AJ was careless and did not attempt to avoid Weiters and it cost the Sox a man in scoring position with 2 outs and a chance to score. Critical of AJ's effort.

Craig Grebeck
08-09-2010, 08:43 AM
I would just move AJ down to ninth and hope he pulls it together.

LoveYourSuit
08-09-2010, 10:41 AM
I would just move AJ down to ninth and hope he pulls it together.

That's not a bad idea either.

But something about Ozzie and his bad LH hitters which he just so badly wants to keep sandwiching in the middle of the order.

Banix12
08-09-2010, 12:34 PM
I don't think it would be bad to give him some extra playing time for now while he is swinging a hot bat. He shouldn't catch the bulk of the games though still because I think he would wear down pretty quickly. He hasn't been a regular starting catcher in 5 years.

Much like how I think AJ isn't anywhere near this bad a hitter (hitting .065 BA points below his average last season and nearly .050 below his career), Castro isn't anywhere near this good (hitting almost .090 better than last season's total and .070 higher than his career total).

But while he is on a hot streak, an extra game here and there wouldn't hurt.

TomBradley72
08-09-2010, 12:51 PM
I'd give Castro all starts vs. lefties + Garcia starts for the next 2-3 weeks...AJ looks tired and in a deep funk, he needs the break...come September, I want AJ in there everyday even if he's not hitting well.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-09-2010, 02:34 PM
I would rather have a dangerous right handed bat over an impotent left handed bat. I like the lineup better with Castro over AJ and Viciedo over Kotsay regardless of matchup.

voodoochile
08-09-2010, 02:43 PM
That's not a bad idea either.

But something about Ozzie and his bad LH hitters which he just so badly wants to keep sandwiching in the middle of the order.

He's currently consistently batting 8th. I'd hardly call that middle of the order and we know that Ozzie prefers speed in the 9 hole. Beckham isn't a burner, but he's got better wheels than AJ.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-09-2010, 07:05 PM
He's currently consistently batting 8th. I'd hardly call that middle of the order and we know that Ozzie prefers speed in the 9 hole. Beckham isn't a burner, but he's got better wheels than AJ.

He's hit 8th 2 out of the last 3 games he's played but only 5 times total. I'd hardly call that consistently batting 8th. He's hit sixth 32 times and seventh 31 times so AJ's been hitting closer to the middle than the bottom of the order. He's also hit 2nd 12 times. If he's "fast" enough to hit 2nd you would think he would be "fast" enough to hit 9th.

Oh, and he's hitting sixth today which by definition is in the middle of the order.

WhiteSox5187
08-09-2010, 07:47 PM
He's hit 8th 2 out of the last 3 games he's played but only 5 times total. I'd hardly call that consistently batting 8th. He's hit sixth 32 times and seventh 31 times so AJ's been hitting closer to the middle than the bottom of the order. He's also hit 2nd 12 times. If he's "fast" enough to hit 2nd you would think he would be "fast" enough to hit 9th.

Oh, and he's hitting sixth today which by definition is in the middle of the order.

He hit second early on though and his speed had little to do with him hitting second, that was just trying to find some combination of hitters to generate some offense, also AJ in the second hole worked a lot in '08 and '09.

As for Castro he has never been an everyday player and I suspect there is a reason for that. I think he'd get exposed.

Daver
08-09-2010, 07:52 PM

AJ is a better baserunner though, in fact he's probably the best on the team.

And if you are relying on offense from your catcher your team has serious issues elsewhere, especially in the AL.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-09-2010, 07:55 PM
He hit second early on though and his speed had little to do with him hitting second, that was just trying to find some combination of hitters to generate some offense, also AJ in the second hole worked a lot in '08 and '09.

My point was that speed is generally a greater factor in the selection of the number two hitter than the number nine hitter. Therefore, if he could hit second then speed or lack thereof shouldn't prevent him from hitting ninth.

I don't disagree with your statement about Castro getting exposed. I doubt he would get exposed to such an extent, however, that he would be rendered even less productive than AJ. At minimum, he should play against most if not all left handed pitching.

Bob Roarman
08-09-2010, 08:04 PM

And if you are relying on offense from your catcher your team has serious issues elsewhere, especially in the AL.

How does the myth of AJ being a good baserunner continue to exist? The Hawk must have performed mass Inception on Sox fans .

BringHomeDaBacon
08-09-2010, 08:13 PM

This is a myth perpetuated by Hawk Harrelson. AJ was thrown out attempting to advance on the bases 10 times in 2008, 7 times in 2009 and 3 times so far this year. Joe Mauer, by comparison, has been thrown out 3, 5 and 2 times in the last three years despite being on base WAY more often.

Nellie_Fox
08-10-2010, 01:55 AM
This is a myth perpetuated by Hawk Harrelson. AJ was thrown out attempting to advance on the bases 10 times in 2008, 7 times in 2009 and 3 times so far this year. Joe Mauer, by comparison, has been thrown out 3, 5 and 2 times in the last three years despite being on base WAY more often.Which may, or may not, be indicative of anything. If you never take any chances on the base paths, you never get thrown out. It's like a third-base coach; one who never gets anybody thrown out at the plate has not done a good job.

Craig Grebeck
08-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Which may, or may not, be indicative of anything. If you never take any chances on the base paths, you never get thrown out. It's like a third-base coach; one who never gets anybody thrown out at the plate has not done a good job.
No, I think that would mean the coach in question had done a tremendous job.

asindc
08-10-2010, 07:59 PM
No, I think that would mean the coach in question had done a tremendous job.

I disagree. What that might be an indication of is that the 3rd base coach is so risk adverse that he is not sending guys when they have a reasonable chance of scoring. I would imagine that no 3rd base coaches do calculations on the fly, but they essentially have to determine if the runner has a better chance of scoring by going now rather than waiting for the next hitter to drive him in. It all depends on the game situation and the runner and next hitter, of course, but just because a coach sends a guy and he is thrown out doesn't mean that it was a mistake to send him. The converse is sometimes true of holding the runner who eventually does not score. If either play was a certainly then there would be no need to make a decision since the certain play would always be made.

Nellie_Fox
08-11-2010, 12:56 AM
No, I think that would mean the coach in question had done a tremendous job.I couldn't disagree with you more. A coach who never gets a guy thrown out at home is WAY too conservative IMO. If you're only going to send a guy home when it's clear he'll score, they don't need you at all.

LoveYourSuit
08-11-2010, 01:16 AM

Sadly that's our case here. With the hole in DH and our "phenom" 2B struggling to hit .200 for most of the 1st half.

WhiteSox5187
08-11-2010, 01:36 AM
Sadly that's our case here. With the hole in DH and our "phenom" 2B struggling to hit .200 for most of the 1st half.

Umm, Gordon's been hitting .372 since the second half. There is no use in going back in games that have already been played, Gordon of late has not been a problem offensively. You know who has though? More so than even AJ? That would be Carlos Quentin who is hitting .174 over the past four weeks. Though his opposite field home run tonight was encouraging.