PDA

View Full Version : As Carlos goes...

Konerkoholic
08-08-2010, 04:25 PM
...so goes the offense? Since June, Carlos is 19-60 with 9 walks in wins and 5-58 with 2 walks in losses, including today. The Sox since June have a 16-5 record in games where Carlos registered a hit or a walk and are 2-13 in games where he does not. These stats include Bobby's loss at Minnesota when Carlos went 2-3. However, the Sox are 5-4 since June in games in which Carlos did not play or only pinch-hit.

I think Carlos is the X-factor going forward. He has been explosive and he has been dormant. The difference seems to be in his level of patience. In 2008, he walked 66 times in 130 games. This year, he has walked 35 times in 94 games. Last year, 31 times in 99 games. When he doesn't wait for his pitch, he gets jammed and becomes a hole in the lineup. I hope he changes his approach at the plate because as consistent as Rios and PK have been at 3 and 4, we need Carlos's big bat to produce more consistently to take this team to the next level.

Slappy
08-08-2010, 04:32 PM
...so goes the offense? Since June, Carlos is 19-60 with 9 walks in wins and 5-58 with 2 walks in losses, including today. The Sox since June have a 16-5 record in games where Carlos registered a hit or a walk and are 2-13 in games where he does not. These stats include Bobby's loss at Minnesota when Carlos went 2-3. However, the Sox are 5-4 since June in games in which Carlos did not play or only pinch-hit.

I think Carlos is the X-factor going forward. He has been explosive and he has been dormant. The difference seems to be in his level of patience. In 2008, he walked 66 times in 130 games. This year, he has walked 35 times in 94 games. Last year, 31 times in 99 games. When he doesn't wait for his pitch, he gets jammed and becomes a hole in the lineup. I hope he changes his approach at the plate because as consistent as Rios and PK have been at 3 and 4, we need Carlos's big bat to produce more consistently to take this team to the next level.

Nice post.

Carlos looks like a whole different player up there compared to 2008. His body language just tells you he's struggling with all aspects of the game. I agree that if he gets his patience back, things will turn around for him and the team.

Domeshot17
08-08-2010, 04:35 PM
we expected too much from him. We basically went into this year telling him you have to be an mvp player because we won't have much of an offense. We put weak hitters around him in the lineup. He isn't that caliber where year in and year out he can carry the load. He needs to be the 3rd or 4th best hitter on a team to succeed.

thomas35forever
08-08-2010, 04:36 PM
we expected too much from him. We basically went into this year telling him you have to be an mvp player because we won't have much of an offense. We put weak hitters around him in the lineup. He isn't that caliber where year in and year out he can carry the load. He needs to be the 3rd or 4th best hitter on a team to succeed.
After being out for most of last year, we felt that given a full season, he could get back to where he was in '08. He's hit for power well, but I agree that the consistency hasn't been there.

Domeshot17
08-08-2010, 04:42 PM
After being out for most of last year, we felt that given a full season, he could get back to where he was in '08. He's hit for power well, but I agree that the consistency hasn't been there.

He is a power hitter, it works, he will give you 240-30-85 every year. Too expect more is asking for disaster. the amount we, as fans, and management, expected out of Carlos and Gordon was terrible.

hi im skot
08-08-2010, 05:19 PM
He is a power hitter, it works, he will give you 240-30-85 every year. Too expect more is asking for disaster. the amount we, as fans, and management, expected out of Carlos and Gordon was terrible.

Hindsight.

Besides, I think that for the most part, Quentin and Beckham can handle the "pressure".

Frater Perdurabo
08-08-2010, 05:35 PM
TCQ had a great 2008. However, he was streaky then, too.

happydude
08-08-2010, 06:01 PM
I'd have to agree with Domeshot and Frater here. Also, I think Domeshot may be right in suggesting we temper our expectations with regard to Carlos. At the time Carlos suffered his season ending injury in 2008 he had a relatively high batting average and OBP in addition to excellent power numbers.

If I recall correctly, though, his average had been steadily declining at that time as he began to swing for the fences. It may be that the real Carlos is more of a slugger than he is a hitter and, thus, prone to streakiness and a middling average; yet good for pretty good power numbers year in, year out.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-08-2010, 07:34 PM
It would be nice if he had someone other than Kotsay protecting him. I'd prefer either Alexei or Beckham in that slot.

Huisj
08-09-2010, 12:11 AM
He definitely seems to get jammed a whole lot this year and hit weak popups. The stats show this some too.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/q/quentca01-bat.shtml#batting_ratio

Check out his percentage of flyballs/linedrives on the infield (IF/FB at the right of that stat section). It's higher than it's been any other year at 21%. It was 14% in 2008.

Sam Spade
08-09-2010, 01:13 AM
He finally found his stroke, then got hurt twice. Hopefully he finds it again and keeps it for the rest of the year including the playoffs.

Frater Perdurabo
08-09-2010, 07:23 AM
Yes, it would be better to have a hitter better than Kotsay batting behind TCQ.

I understand Ozzie's rationale to break up a string of RH hitters with a LH bat.

However, Rios, PK, TCQ, Alexei and Beckham don't really struggle against RH pitching the same way that Viciedo does right now, or Fields did.

Consequently, a RH pitcher isn't more likely to blow through the middle of the Sox lineup if a lefty isn't in there. Actually, given AJ's and Kotsay's poor hitting this year, Ozzie is probably doing opposing pitchers a favor by giving them more plate appearances and thus more opportunities to kill rallies and or GIDP.

harwar
08-09-2010, 09:33 AM
He definitely seems to get jammed a whole lot this year and hit weak popups. The stats show this some too.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/q/quentca01-bat.shtml#batting_ratio

Check out his percentage of flyballs/linedrives on the infield (IF/FB at the right of that stat section). It's higher than it's been any other year at 21%. It was 14% in 2008.

yea, he's right on top of the plate so they pitch him in .. i guess he doesn't want to back off a bit for fear of the outside breakin ball .. when they get too much of the plate he can really hurt them though

Konerkoholic
08-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Well, Carlos obviously didn't come through with the big hit tonight, but he did draw 2 walks. Perhaps he is trying to be more patient, a good sign heading into the 6-game homestand. I'm seeing his bat coming alive these next 6 games, not a stretch considering his home-road splits.

PeteWard
08-09-2010, 11:22 PM
I had to wince when he almost beat out that grounder in the 10th. The way he stumbled across the bag, I thought he was DL-bound again. :(:

UofCSoxFan
08-10-2010, 12:01 PM
It's hard to win when your 5 hitter goes 1-15 in a series, with a lot of those at-bats with guys on base. In any RBI situation, the O's wanted nothing to do with Konerkio and we never made them pay.

It is not all Q though. It doesn't help when our 6th hitter is a DH hitting .220, followed by Viciedo (whom pitchers have realized you should never throw a strike to under any circumstances), followed by AJ, who is having one of the worst offesnive seasons of any major league regular. Q basically has no protection in the order at all right now and has to chase pitchers pitches, much like an 8 hitter on an NL club. I mean Jones is pitcher bad right now as a hitter. Right now, with Beckham out our lineup is basically 3 hitters that scare you...Alexei, Rios, and Konerko. Viciedo you have to be carefull with, but a good pitcher will own him until he is showing he's willing to take a walk. He'll get there, but he's not there now. Lilibridge, despite flashes, is not a legit everyday player and Pierre's legs scare you, but he is hardly a threat to drive the ball anywhere or to drive in runs.