PDA

View Full Version : August 8th: Cubs getting no-hit through 5

1908<2005
08-08-2010, 03:59 PM
By Travis Wood. Haha.

1908<2005
08-08-2010, 04:08 PM
And Koyie Hill breaks it up with 1 out in the 6th.

cub killer
08-08-2010, 05:30 PM
I wonder what the flubs' run differential is this year and how it compares to the all time worst

Bob Roarman
08-08-2010, 08:45 PM
They're a bad team, but they aren't THAT bad. Nothing for the history books. There are a few teams in their own division that have a worse run differential than they do.

TheCQExperience
08-08-2010, 09:00 PM
The one thing that annoys me about this board is White Sox fans that continuously rag on the Cubs. I hate them and their fans as much as the next Sox fan but they are absolutely awful and we are in first. Why even pay one morsel of attention to them?
I get calls from friends who will ask me "did you see how bad the Cubs lost today?" No, of course I didn't. They have absolutely no impact on the White Sox.
/RANT

doublem23
08-08-2010, 09:23 PM
The one thing that annoys me about this board is White Sox fans that continuously rag on the Cubs. I hate them and their fans as much as the next Sox fan but they are absolutely awful and we are in first. Why even pay one morsel of attention to them?
I get calls from friends who will ask me "did you see how bad the Cubs lost today?" No, of course I didn't. They have absolutely no impact on the White Sox.
/RANT

:violin:

That's why we have this separate forum for Cubs crap. If you don't want to read about them, I would avoid WTS, especially a thread entitled "Cubs getting no-hit through 5."

Sheesh.

doublem23
08-08-2010, 09:26 PM
I wonder what the flubs' run differential is this year and how it compares to the all time worst

They're a bad team, but they aren't THAT bad. Nothing for the history books. There are a few teams in their own division that have a worse run differential than they do.

Seriously, you could have at least taken 10 seconds out of your day and checked the standings were you would have noticed that 6 teams currently have worse run differentials than the Scrubbies; the worst being Pittsburgh who are about 150 runs worse than the Cubs.

Brian26
08-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Why even pay one morsel of attention to them?

Ask the newspapers and radio stations in town that same question. There's more Cubs coverage on the Score now than Sox.

Rewind to 2007 and let me know if the Sox received the same kind of press as the Cubs. Not even close.

JB98
08-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Ask the newspapers and radio stations in town that same question. There's more Cubs coverage on the Score now than Sox.

Rewind to 2007 and let me know if the Sox received the same kind of press as the Cubs. Not even close.

The agony and the sorrow and the long-suffering up north have become a bigger story in this city than the baseball itself.

It's my belief the Cubs would become less of a story if they actually won something for a change, as strange as that sounds.

DumpJerry
08-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Seriously, you could have at least taken 10 seconds out of your day and checked the standings were you would have noticed that 6 teams currently have worse run differentials than the Scrubbies; the worst being Pittsburgh who are about 150 runs worse than the Cubs.

The Pirates need to play the Cubs more often.

The Sox' Manager did not make it known that there would be a new Manager the following year. 95% of the Cub coverage on the radio these days is "who will replace Lou?" That (new Head Coach/Manager) is always a rich subject for talk radio.

Brian26
08-08-2010, 11:11 PM
The agony and the sorrow and the long-suffering up north have become a bigger story in this city than the baseball itself.

This is a good point. In fact, to expand on what I said, it is possible the Cubs are getting more coverage now than the Cubs got in 2007. Take the Sox out of the equation. There's some kind of peculiar fascination with talking about the disaster of lame-duck Piniella, DLee's phoning it in, headcase Zambrano and the rest of the circus.

MarySwiss
08-08-2010, 11:21 PM

It's my belief the Cubs would become less of a story if they actually won something for a change, as strange as that sounds.

I've thought that for some time. IMO, the worst thing that could happen to the Cubs organization would be if they won the World Series. Once they were no longer "lovable losers," they'd be just another team that won a World Series

guillensdisciple
08-08-2010, 11:25 PM
I've thought that for some time. IMO, the worst thing that could happen to the Cubs organization would be if they won the World Series. Once they were no longer "lovable losers," they'd be just another team that won a World Series

I don't know about that. Look at Red Sawks nation after they won their thing. Bigger heads than ever.

LongLiveFisk
08-08-2010, 11:27 PM
I don't know about that. Look at Red Sawks nation after they won their thing. Bigger heads than ever.

Yes, and I don't think I want to test that theory with the Northsiders.

JB98
08-08-2010, 11:35 PM
This is a good point. In fact, to expand on what I said, it is possible the Cubs are getting more coverage now than the Cubs got in 2007. Take the Sox out of the equation. There's some kind of peculiar fascination with talking about the disaster of lame-duck Piniella, DLee's phoning it in, headcase Zambrano and the rest of the circus.

Yeah, you're right. Let's say for the sake of argument, what if the Cubs had actually pulled through and won a championship in 2003 or 2008 when they had the opportunity? All this anguish and anger and frustration wouldn't be simmering to the extent that it is right now.

When the Cubs are having a disastrous season such as this, the championship drought and the Cubbie faithful who "deserve better" become the story for many in the Chicago media. If the Cubs had a recent World Series title under their belts, that storyline simply wouldn't exist.

guillensdisciple
08-08-2010, 11:55 PM
I will only be okay with a Cubs championship if the Sox can pull another one before they get theirs. I can't have it any other way.

Bob Roarman
08-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Why? That's the sort of thinking I don't understand. There's no room for bragging in Chicago baseball. It's pathetic.

doublem23
08-09-2010, 12:06 AM
Why? That's the sort of thinking I don't understand. There's no room for bragging in Chicago baseball. It's pathetic.

I could have seen this line of reasoning pre-2005, but now? Come on.

Bob Roarman
08-09-2010, 12:10 AM
They aren't the Yankees. THAT's bragging rights. Hated as they may be, they have results. We're bragging over winning one more title over the past 90+ years than the Cubs? Really? What's the point? To me it's like saying, "We had a shorter reign of **** than you did! Haha! YES!" I just...don't get it. It's just blown up beyond the point of exaggeration. It's ridiculous.

DSpivack
08-09-2010, 01:38 AM
They aren't the Yankees. THAT's bragging rights. Hated as they may be, they have results. We're bragging over winning one more title over the past 90+ years than the Cubs? Really? What's the point? To me it's like saying, "We had a shorter reign of **** than you did! Haha! YES!" I just...don't get it. It's just blown up beyond the point of exaggeration. It's ridiculous.

I had an unhealthy obsession and hatred for all things Clark & Addison prior to 2005. Now, I don't hate them, I just pity them.

doublem23
08-09-2010, 08:33 AM

Well then sit on the sideline, what the **** do I care? Those of us, however, with actual friends and coworkers who are Cub fans can attest the good-natured rivalry is still in full swing.

And, it's a title within the past 5 years. You're making it sound like we're still bragging over 1917 vs. 1908.

Lighten up, Francis.

Bob Roarman
08-09-2010, 09:19 AM
No, no, that's not what I'm talking about. It's more than a "good-natured, friendly" rivalry for a lot of people. Take a look at the post before yours. I know that guy isn't alone. My question is why? Why does a team that has little to nothing to do with the team you root for and their chances at winning a championship have THAT much an impact? Why would it actually pain some people to see them win a World Series? I don't know, I just don't see the point of such a serious rivalry when there's been so much losing involved. One title between the two teams in over almost 200 combined years doesn't really change that.

jdm2662
08-09-2010, 09:54 AM
No, no, that's not what I'm talking about. It's more than a "good-natured, friendly" rivalry for a lot of people. Take a look at the post before yours. I know that guy isn't alone. My question is why? Why does a team that has little to nothing to do with the team you root for and their chances at winning a championship have THAT much an impact? Why would it actually pain some people to see them win a World Series? I don't know, I just don't see the point of such a serious rivalry when there's been so much losing involved. One title between the two teams in over almost 200 combined years doesn't really change that.

When I first came on this board, the Cub hatred was beyond over the top. Now, it's extremely tame to when it was back then. I myself used to hate the Cubs. Now? Well, I don't really have much against the players or the team in general. That's because I generally don't pay attention to it. I usually just laugh at the fan base in general. I never start any such ribbing or anything. I just find it amusing that it's so horrible that I don't love the cute and cuddly Cubbies.

Bob Roarman
08-09-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm not talking about liking the Cubs. That's not the point whatsoever.

cub killer
08-14-2010, 11:30 PM
No, no, that's not what I'm talking about. It's more than a "good-natured, friendly" rivalry for a lot of people. Take a look at the post before yours. I know that guy isn't alone. My question is why? Why does a team that has little to nothing to do with the team you root for and their chances at winning a championship have THAT much an impact? Because of the media bias in favor of them. It's impossible to avoid. We can't psychically know when to turn on the TV during the sports segment to avoid the flub news. And we're not gonna have remote control in hand ready to turn the TV off as soon as the Sox news ends in the rare occasions they're featured 1st.

The media bias is too much. It's not like we're the clippers, we've accomplished enough to deserve more respect, IMO.

theamb
08-15-2010, 04:30 PM

Doubtful.

Win or lose, the Cubs will always be considered "the" baseball team in Chicago.

Btw, while I'm late to the party, Travis Wood 1-hit the Phillies in his 3rd major league start.

DumpJerry
08-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Win or lose, the Cubs will always be considered "the" baseball team in Chicago.
It has been many years since the local media has treated them that way. It's just some White Sox fans act like jealous siblings whenever the Cubs get any kind of notice from the media. They're in Chicago. They're going to be covered by Chicago media. Get used to it.