PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 'This Loss Is For The Birds' White Sox vs BAL 8/8 Postgame Thread

soxinem1
08-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Season ain't over yet. Just a half-game up now.

At least we went down swinging.

Need to win tomorrow and play our asses off in MIN.

SoxSpeed22
08-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Kind of day where nothing goes right. I hate those.

october23sp
08-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Baltimore owns us.

ndgt10
Baltimore pwning us.

Twins only 0.5 games back after the run we've been on. Unreal.

beasly213
Ugh. That sucked major ass.

stevied23
08-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Offense is MIA against pitchers they should be dominating. Lets get back on track

ndgt10
Need to win tomorrow and play our asses off in MIN.
You realize we are at home right?

Slappy
:tiphat:

thomas35forever
Just wow. All I can say is win tomorrow.

soltrain21
Really could have used another bat at the deadline. Oh well, this is what we got.

DrCrawdad
08-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Were the Sox scoreboard watching and when they saw the Twinks were losing they thought, "cool, we don't have to win today?"

beasly213
Really could have used another bat at the deadline. Oh well, this is what we got.

Yeah, but you shouldn't need another bat against Baltimore. This is what their 37th win?

ChiSoxGal85
That sucked. I hope the boys are done with their hitting slump by Friday, when I'm going to the game.

sox1970
A win tomorrow...one game up with 50 left.

8 weeks of nail biting left.

ndgt10
08-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Yeah, but you shouldn't need another bat against Baltimore. This is what their 37th win?
5-1 since Showalter took over. What a manager that guy is.

Frankfan4life
08-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Baltimore pwning us.

Twins only 0.5 games back after the run we've been on. Unreal.Don't panic. We've been in this position before. A win tomorrow and a Twins lost and we're 1.5 games ahead again.

Let's win tomorrow and split this series and then take the Twins series.

thomas35forever
08-08-2010, 03:00 PM
That sucked. I hope the boys are done with their hitting slump by Friday, when I'm going to the game.
They better get out of it before then or we'll be 3 games back.

Rohan
08-08-2010, 03:01 PM
The Sox only beat the bad teams!

Foulke You
08-08-2010, 03:03 PM
5-1 since Showalter took over. What a manager that guy is.
I think Steve Stone put it best. There are a lot of guys busting their butts on the O's trying to impress the new manager so they can audition for a job next year. Sox need to win tomorrow and push the lead back to 1 game heading into the big Twins series on Tuesday. A 5W-3L road trip would be acceptable.

Zakath
08-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Crappy hitting w/RISP early. 2nd and 3rd in the first, can't get them home. Runner on 2nd with no out in the second, can't move him. 1st and 2nd in the third with one out, can't move them.

You can't leave that many men on base in the early innings against even bad teams, because all you do is give them life. After that, we had 4 of 5 innings where we went 3 up, 3 down against a pitcher who was 5-11.

Nice shot by Castro late, but you have to put bad teams away early.

Zakath
08-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Don't panic. We've been in this position before. A win tomorrow and a Twins lost and we're 1.5 games ahead again.

Twins are off tomorrow. So we either come into Tuesday up 1 or tied.

EJ needs to give us another good performance.

bunty_doghunter
08-08-2010, 03:05 PM
At least we went down swinging.

Yay! We ALMOST came back against the worst team in baseball! Yay! :bandance:

Foulke You
08-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Don't panic. We've been in this position before. A win tomorrow and a Twins lost and we're 1.5 games ahead again.

Twins are idle on Monday so we can push it back to 1 game heading into Tuesday's series. Lose another to Baltimore though and we're all tied up. Need a big start out of Edwin Jackson tomorrow.

Nelfox02
08-08-2010, 03:06 PM
you win tomorrow, this is still a dissapointing weekend (given the team we were playing AND looking at pitching match ups).....lose tomorrow and you can declare this weekend a ****ing disaster

go 1-3 vs Baltimore when you are fighting to stay in first ahead of a series against your arch enemies??? just cant happen

I dont really know what to say about this one......it just had that feeling of game we wont win as soon as we started stranding runners......I just dont get the hitting----3 runs in three games off these starters?

The sox just love to have these **** the bed series against bad teams.....why? We got back in this thing by actually showing up against awful teams like the Baltimore Orioles.....now at such a crucial time in the schedule they revert back to the April 2010/all of 2009 Sox?

Funks happen, no reason to raise the white flag and give in after a couple crummy losses, but I for one had pretty decent expectations going into this series...figured we would win 3 of these games and the Tribe could get one for us, Tribe did thier part (barely) but we have failed

There are no "must wins" on August 9th, but tomorrow is a big one for this club no doubt win tomorrow and get home for a big series with the slimmest margin for error standings wise....

lost in the notes of offensive garbage in this game is that Beckham is hurt....hope that isnt a major issue.....

just sucks

Frankfan4life
08-08-2010, 03:08 PM

EJ needs to give us another good performance.I stand corrected. So a win tomorrow would put us a game ahead. I'll take that going into the Twins series.

Nelfox02
08-08-2010, 03:09 PM

EJ needs to give us another good performance.

He can pitch like no tomorrow, if we continue to hit like we have been, there is a good chance it wont matter

sox1970
08-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Before this weekend started, I had the Twins winning 2 of 3, and the Sox splitting. I still feel that way. :shrug:

Domeshot17
08-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Bad offensive teams go through these stretches. We are a bad offense. We ignored it and thought everyone being friends was more important than results. Its an uphill battle the rest of the season.

thomas35forever
08-08-2010, 03:12 PM
I see the anti-management crowd is out in full force today. Don't tell me you were willing to part with someone like Beckham or Viciedo to address the offense.

Zakath
08-08-2010, 03:15 PM
He can pitch like no tomorrow, if we continue to hit like we have been, there is a good chance it wont matter

They have another bad pitcher going tomorrow (Matusz, 4-11, 5.26 ERA, 1.50 WHIP, .278 BAA), but you're right. We're making ****ty pitchers look like world beaters right now.

Matusz is a lefty, so good chance we see Viciedo and Jones tomorrow vs. Kotsay and Visquel. Probably not going to see Beckham, so Lillibeast at second. Hopefully some subs start to get the hits flowing, because right now we're not putting up crooked numbers. We were lucky to win Saturday without a single multi-run inning and have only one this weekend.

LoveYourSuit
08-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Baltimore has a .333 winning pct, worst record in the game.

Not good.

thomas35forever
08-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Baltimore has a .333 winning pct, worst record in the game.

Not good.
Baltimore has a 5-1 record since Showalter took over. We just happened to catch them in the midst of it.

LITTLE NELL
08-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Need a win tomorrow. What pisses me off is that we have a night game and will get into Chicago in the wee hours on Tuesday while the Twins will be all rested and waiting for us (some of our guys look tired as it is). MLB has to address the issue of night games on get-away days. I don't even want to think about the possibility of a substantial rain delay.

Slappy
08-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Baltimore has a 4-1 record since Showalter took over. We just happened to catch them in the midst of it.

It's not like Showalter is on the field playing baseball. They played better than us, and we looked limp. Offensively and defensively.

thomas35forever
08-08-2010, 03:29 PM
It's not like Showalter is on the field playing baseball. They played better than us, and we looked limp. Offensively and defensively.
I'm not denying that. I realize the offense has left a lot to be desired this series and therefore, has left the pitching out to dry.

SoxandtheCityTee
08-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Baltimore has a 4-1 record since Showalter took over. We just happened to catch them in the midst of it.

Yep. I hope AJ and Beckham are OK and back soon. Rios seeming to come out of the slump a bit, which would be nice. Sox need to be firing on all pistons v. the Twinkies.

bunty_doghunter
08-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Baltimore has a 5-1 record since Showalter took over. We just happened to catch them in the midst of it.
Not catching them at the wrong time, we handed them their run.

GoGoCrede
08-08-2010, 03:42 PM
At least there's a new episode of The Club tonight. :gulp:

sox1970
08-08-2010, 03:44 PM
At least there's a new episode of The Club tonight. :gulp:

Final 2 eps tonight. It's been ok, not great.

GoGoCrede
08-08-2010, 03:45 PM

Damn, I was hoping they'd cover the postseason.

sox1970
08-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Damn, I was hoping they'd cover the postseason.

Boers and Bernstein were talking to one of the producers the other day, and he said if the Sox ask them back, they'll come back. But the original plan was to go to the trade deadline.

Slappy
08-08-2010, 03:49 PM

How many episodes have aired so far? My On Demand thing is showing only four.

shingo10
08-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Can we at least acknowledge that Kenny did try to do something about the offense? It wasn't like he was or is sitting around doing nothing. We tried for another bat but you have to play with you have got.

That being said there is no excuse for the offense not showing up against the O's. On the brightside we have a chance to do something about the Twins this week. We don't need help from anyone else, we can take care of business ourselves and that is a good position to be in. At least in theory.

sox1970
08-08-2010, 03:51 PM
How many episodes have aired so far? My On Demand thing is showing only four.

The entire run is 6 episodes. The first episode was an hour. So yes, there have been four so far.

Craig Grebeck
08-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Could have won, but oh well. Always been a big fan of Guthrie, and he was tough today. Go get the split tomorrow.

Boondock Saint
08-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Baltimore pwning us.

Twins only 0.5 games back after the run we've been on. Unreal.

You do realize that we were 9 games back when we started the run? It's certainly unreal, but not in the way you're painting it.

kufram
08-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Although some on wsi gave up in the 7th the team didn't give up at all. what's new? People act like we're 6 games out when we're still in 1st place. A win tomorrow gives us a pretty good road trip. We have to beat the Twins to win this division so let's beat the Twins. this is going to go on for some time so better get used to it. We'll have good games and we'll have bad games. The Twins will too.

hi im skot
08-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Win tomorrow and I'm fine with the split. Losing Monday would be disappointing, but as others have pointed out, Baltimore has gotten hot; bad timing for the Sox.

Either way the Sox will have, at worst, a share of first place; pretty tough to be upset about that.

We knew going into the season that it wasn't going to be easy, and it's indeed playing out that way. If they can take two of three from Minnesota, the Sox will be in pretty decent shape going down the stretch. At the risk of being all 2005!!!!!!1, perhaps this race will be exactly what the Sox need to roll into the postseason as a very dangerous team.

Buckle up...if the Sox pull this off, it's going to be awesome.

happydude
08-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Although some on wsi gave up in the 7th the team didn't give up at all. what's new? People act like we're 6 games out when we're still in 1st place. A win tomorrow gives us a pretty good road trip. We have to beat the Twins to win this division so let's beat the Twins. this is going to go on for some time so better get used to it. We'll have good games and we'll have bad games. The Twins will too.

I don't quite understand the constant fatalism and gnashing of teeth over the Minnesota Twins fwiw. As a franchise, they haven't been in a World Series since, I believe, 1992, and have been dominated in the majority of their playoff appearances since then; they are far from a juggernaut and don't seem to inspire fear in anyone other than we Sox fans.

They tend to consistently play to their potential over the course of a season and when they've beaten us out for the division its been because they were better than we were as a team; not due to some magical elixir they consumed or some hex they have over us.

If we can't beat them then we won't beat any of the other playoff teams, anyway. The goal is to win the World Series; not simply to dance wildly after edging out the Twins for the division and then get cuffed around in the ALDS ala 2008.

Lip Man 1
08-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Is this Matusz going for Baltimore Monday a rookie and have the Sox ever seen him before?

"You're playing one of the worst teams in baseball," Mark Buehrle said. "We should come in here and beat these guys."

Lip

kufram
08-08-2010, 05:08 PM
I don't quite understand the constant fatalism and gnashing of teeth over the Minnesota Twins fwiw. As a franchise, they haven't been in a World Series since, I believe, 1992, and have been dominated in the majority of their playoff appearances since then; they are far from a juggernaut and don't seem to inspire fear in anyone other than we Sox fans.

They tend to consistently play to their potential over the course of a season and when they've beaten us out for the division its been because they were better than we were as a team; not due to some magical elixir they consumed or some hex they have over us.

If we can't beat them then we won't beat any of the other playoff teams, anyway. The goal is to win the World Series; not simply to dance wildly after edging out the Twins for the division and then get cuffed around in the ALDS ala 2008.

Yeah, I don't get it either. They are a baseball team. They've been on a great run and yet we still have a lead on them. It's not like we've lost 8 of 10. Yes, we SHOULD beat the Orioles. But SHOULD is a very big word and this is baseball where even the best teams can only win 2 out of 3 most of the time. Win tomorrow and don't worry about the next day.

Harry Potter
08-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Is this Matusz going for Baltimore Monday a rookie and have the Sox ever seen him before?

Lip -

He made 5 starts last year. He's had 30 career appearances, none against the Sox.

Nelfox02
08-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Lip -

He made 5 starts last year. He's had 30 career appearances, none against the Sox.

mediorce/or bad pitcher that we ve never seen before?...........uh oh

Plus, he is a lefty right? double uh oh......

Craig Grebeck
08-08-2010, 05:30 PM

You really must know nothing about Brian Matusz.

Boondock Saint
08-08-2010, 05:31 PM
You really must know nothing about Brian Matusz.

Right? It's not like he's a very highly rated prospect or anything...

DrCrawdad
08-08-2010, 05:32 PM

"You're playing one of the worst teams in baseball," Mark Buehrle said. "We should come in here and beat these guys."

Lip

Exactly.

Splitting is not good. Losing 3 of 4 is unacceptable.

Domeshot17
08-08-2010, 05:40 PM

FYI, this kis is an incredibly highly regarded prospect, very good stuff, just has yet to put it all together.

Slappy
08-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Right? It's not like he's a very highly rated prospect or anything...

I think some people are overestimating Matusz' abilities. He's shown promise and yeah he was a highly rated prospect, but his numbers this year are not indicative of bad luck. He's just been kinda bad. That said, I never expect this team to completely roll an opponent or take a series with ease anymore.

Anyone know what our OPS against lefties is?

twinsuck
08-08-2010, 05:45 PM
If we win tomorrow it won't be so bad... 1 up and a 5-3 road trip.

Boondock Saint
08-08-2010, 05:55 PM
I think some people are overestimating Matusz' abilities. He's shown promise and yeah he was a highly rated prospect, but his numbers this year are not indicative of bad luck. He's just been kinda bad. That said, I never expect this team to completely roll an opponent or take a series with ease anymore.

Anyone know what our OPS against lefties is?

That isn't the point, though. There's a big difference between a young, highly rated prospect who's yet to put it all together in his first full season and a bad pitcher. This isn't just some Joe Nobody that they're throwing out there, Matusz has the talent.

Domeshot17
08-08-2010, 06:00 PM
That isn't the point, though. There's a big difference between a young, highly rated prospect who's yet to put it all together in his first full season and a bad pitcher. This isn't just some Joe Nobody that they're throwing out there, Matusz has the talent.

Good thing we didn't use this line of thinking with John Danks. Era over 5 in 2007, under 4 in 2008.

shingo10
08-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Good thing we didn't use this line of thinking with John Danks. Era over 5 in 2007, under 4 in 2008.

That 2007 team...well I'll just try to forget about it. For the first 2 months I feared that this season would turn into that. Thank God the Sox never gave up.

Slappy
08-08-2010, 06:08 PM
That is the point, though.

It doesn't matter if you're a highly rated prospect and pitch like crap. It's kinda like not making the playoffs or losing in the first round but celebrating over holding onto first place for a couple weeks. It's an empty victory.

Bottom line, we're facing Matusz tomorrow, in a year in which he's been bad. He could never realize his potential and become average for the rest of his career or he could blossom into a real good pitcher. No one knows, but this year he's been bad. If he had been doing well this year, I don't think the op would have said what he did.

guillensdisciple
08-08-2010, 06:40 PM
We caught the team at the wrong time- they're hot because they need to prove something to their new manager.

Now, we must win tomorrow and go up one game and then either win the series or sweep Minnesota. It will be tough, considering they are hot- but it has to be done. Anything worse than a series win and you are in serious trouble.

This time, you have to knock the Twins back a little bit. You can't allow them to regain first. Not now.

Tragg
08-08-2010, 07:10 PM
We've had much easier schedule this week than the Twins and we've gained no ground.
Tomorrow, the Twins get big scheduling advantage as they will be resting in our city while we play a road game.
Need to come up big this week.

Dick Allen
08-08-2010, 08:07 PM
I didn't know Palmer, McNally, Cuellar and Dobson were still pitching for the O's. Awful, just awful.

I don't care who is managing the O's or if they're playing for their jobs. The only reason they've won is that our up-and-down offense hasn't hit against their **** pitchers. It's not like the Orioles have scored a ton of runs in this series.

JB98
08-08-2010, 09:01 PM
I didn't know Palmer, McNally, Cuellar and Dobson were still pitching for the O's. Awful, just awful.

I don't care who is managing the O's or if they're playing for their jobs. The only reason they've won is that our up-and-down offense hasn't hit against their **** pitchers. It's not like the Orioles have scored a ton of runs in this series.

Guthrie is not in the class of those pitchers you mentioned, but he's a pretty solid guy. I thought his stuff was pretty good today, and the Sox had some bad luck with lineouts and such.

No excuse for the poor offensive output against Bergeson or Millwood the last two nights, however.

I was worried about this series going in. Some fans seemed to think this would be a layup, for whatever reason. We really should know better. Aside from Seattle, the Sox have struggled against the second-division clubs all year.

guillensdisciple
08-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Guthrie is not in the class of those pitchers you mentioned, but he's a pretty solid guy. I thought his stuff was pretty good today, and the Sox had some bad luck with lineouts and such.

No excuse for the poor offensive output against Bergeson or Millwood the last two nights, however.

I was worried about this series going in. Some fans seemed to think this would be a layup, for whatever reason. We really should know better. Aside from Seattle, the Sox have struggled against the second-division clubs all year.

Initially we did, in the past two and a half months we have not.

Remember when Atlanta caught us at home when we were scorching? This is the same scenario. Atlanta, at the time, was a better team and ran into a buzzsaw. This **** happens, if we win tomorrow and split the series we did our jobs. Most teams would have gotten swept.

This is a consequence of poor timing. Tomorrow is pivotal, because we have to have confidence going into the Minnesota series. Otherwise they will have too much confidence going in against us.

Jollyroger2
08-08-2010, 09:25 PM

Baltimore is not a second-division team. They're worse. There are reasons that team had 35 wins coming into the series. If the Sox can destroy the likes of Seattle, they should be pounding these clowns. Guthrie I can see giving them a good game, but the first two games there was no reason not to shell those pitchers.

What I've seen after attending three games at the Yard this weekend is a team that thinks its on cruise control. The play has been lazy (poor efforts at ground balls, bad throws, baserunning blunders) and sloppy. Frankly they aren't talented enough to play like that, not with several dead spots in the lineup that management saw fit to not upgrade.

Games like this weekend make me truly wonder if they are a serious playoff team, or are they what all the "experts" say about them, that they're a mediocre team with a losing record against teams that matter and can only get fat on weaker teams and the NL. Even a win tomorrow night will only salvage an embarrassing split against the worst team in the league.

guillensdisciple
08-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Holy ****, people on this board are completely oblivious to a bad team having a good run.

Holy ****. Last night, the radio was telling us we were great. Today, the moment we lost, the radio was saying we were not really that great.

Wayyyyyy too many mood swings.

JB98
08-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Baltimore is not a second-division team. They're worse. There are reasons that team had 35 wins coming into the series. If the Sox can destroy the likes of Seattle, they should be pounding these clowns. Guthrie I can see giving them a good game, but the first two games there was no reason not to shell those pitchers.

What I've seen after attending three games at the Yard this weekend is a team that thinks its on cruise control. The play has been lazy (poor efforts at ground balls, bad throws, baserunning blunders) and sloppy. Frankly they aren't talented enough to play like that, not with several dead spots in the lineup that management saw fit to not upgrade.

Games like this weekend make me truly wonder if they are a serious playoff team, or are they what all the "experts" say about them, that they're a mediocre team with a losing record against teams that matter and can only get fat on weaker teams and the NL. Even a win tomorrow night will only salvage an embarrassing split against the worst team in the league.

Of course they're not talented enough to play like that. The Sox are a surprise team this season. Frankly, I'm stunned they are in first place on Aug. 7. Who expected to be in this position, especially after the way they started the year?

StillMissOzzie
08-08-2010, 09:40 PM
They have another bad pitcher going tomorrow (Matusz, 4-11, 5.26 ERA, 1.50 WHIP, .278 BAA), but you're right. We're making ****ty pitchers look like world beaters right now.

Matusz is a lefty, so good chance we see Viciedo and Jones tomorrow vs. Kotsay and Visquel. Probably not going to see Beckham, so Lillibeast at second. Hopefully some subs start to get the hits flowing, because right now we're not putting up crooked numbers. We were lucky to win Saturday without a single multi-run inning and have only one this weekend.

This is the part that has me :scratch:.
Why do these guys all too often make some real craptacular pitchers look like the 2nd coming of Cy Young?
With another that fits that mold trotting out there tomorrow, the Sox need this one to go head-to-head vs. the Twinkies with a full game lead.

SMO
:gulp:

TheCommander
08-08-2010, 10:06 PM

I hope to see a White Sox Winner on my birthday when I go Wednesday. :)

LoveYourSuit
08-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Holy ****, people on this board are completely oblivious to a bad team having a good run.

Holy ****. Last night, the radio was telling us we were great. Today, the moment we lost, the radio was saying we were not really that great.

Wayyyyyy too many mood swings.

Keeping the theme here, Holly **** did you not expect people to be on edge when playing so poorly vs the worst teamin the game?

Lip Man 1
08-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Question... since I haven't followed the Twins closely other than they are 12-4 in their last 16 games (the Sox aren't bad at 10-6 in the same stretch).

Is Justin Morneau still out with the concussion symptoms?

It would be very "Twin"-like to have him 'suddenly' ready and in the lineup Tuesday night.

Lip

guillensdisciple
08-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Keeping the theme here, Holly **** did you not expect people to be on edge when playing so poorly vs the worst teamin the game?

Not really, split tomorrow and beat the Twins. Look forward. We did not lose the division today.

LoveYourSuit
08-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Not really, split tomorrow and beat the Twins. Look forward. We did not lose the division today.

But you lost a game in the standings.

doublem23
08-08-2010, 10:40 PM
But you lost a game in the standings.

Anyone who thought it was possible for the Sox to not lose a game in the standings for the rest of the year needs to pass me whatever the hell they're smoking.

LoveYourSuit
08-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Anyone who thought it was possible for the Sox to not lose a game in the standings for the rest of the year needs to pass me whatever the hell they're smoking.

Losing a game in the standings while playing the Yankees, not a problem.

Losing a game in the standings while playing the Orioles, that's a problem to me.

JB98
08-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Losing a game in the standings while playing the Yankees, not a problem.

Losing a game in the standings while playing the Orioles, that's a problem to me.

To each their own.

I still feel it's a little early to be upset about daily fluctuations in the standings. I'm disappointed in the loss this afternoon, but no conclusions can be drawn about how the division will turn out from today's results.

Today's game will mean nothing when the Sox play the Twins on Tuesday night. It will be an important series, but not a do-or-die series. Tomorrow's game is important. You want to finish with a winning trip, but it's not do-or-die either.

LoveYourSuit
08-08-2010, 10:58 PM
To each their own.

I still feel it's a little early to be upset about daily fluctuations in the standings. I'm disappointed in the loss this afternoon, but no conclusions can be drawn about how the division will turn out from today's results.

Today's game will mean nothing when the Sox play the Twins on Tuesday night. It will be an important series, but not a do-or-die series. Tomorrow's game is important. You want to finish with a winning trip, but it's not do-or-die either.

I think this is irrelevant if you are of the thought process that daily standing fluctuations don't matter.

JB98
08-08-2010, 11:01 PM
I think this is irrelevant if you are of the thought process that daily standing fluctuations don't matter.

I don't see how the two are related.

doublem23
08-08-2010, 11:05 PM

Do you realize how crazy you come off in this thread? It's like you've never watched baseball before and seemingly have no understanding of the fact that good teams sometimes just get beat by bad teams.

You realize last year, the Yankees, the World Series champs and undisputed best team in baseball, lost a 3-game series to the Nationals, who had the worst record in the league? It ****ing happens sometimes.

Just chill the **** out.

guillensdisciple
08-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Every loss matters, every win matters.

If you win every game, you will be in a good position (just a statement to kind of sum up, I know it's impossible).

While I don't believe that this is season ending, I really do wish the White Sox would close out teams sooner, not give them life. They have a tendency to do that, especially in the past ten years or so.

LoveYourSuit
08-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Do you realize how crazy you come off in this thread? It's like you've never watched baseball before and seemingly have no understanding of the fact that good teams sometimes just get beat by bad teams.

You realize last year, the Yankees, the World Series champs and undisputed best team in baseball, lost a 3-game series to the Nationals, who had the worst record in the league? It ****ing happens sometimes.

Just chill the **** out.

Yeah, I never have watched baseball.

Please teach me :rolleyes:

JB98
08-08-2010, 11:15 PM
When I was younger, I used to be that guy who let it ruin my day every time the Sox lost a game in the standings. You can literally drive yourself crazy if you worry about the daily fluctuations.

What I like to do now is divide the season up into homestands and road trips. For instance, I know the Sox had a half-game lead after they concluded their last homestand with a win over Oakland. Now, they are seven games into an eight-game trip. Looking over that block of games over a week's time, the Sox have held their ground in the standings.

Would I have liked to have seen the Sox gain a game or two this week? Of course! What fan wouldn't? But my goal for each road trip is for the Sox to hold their ground in the standings. I'm always hopeful they can gain ground when they are at home.

If the Sox win tomorrow's ballgame, they will come home in better shape than when they left. If they lose, well, they are only a half-game worse than they were at the start of the trip. It's not too bad.

I've just learned through the years that you can't celebrate too much over gaining a game on given day, and you can't get too low on the days where you lose a game.

There are 51 games left in the season. Rest assured, there will be several days when the Sox gain ground. There will also be several days when they lose ground. I try to stay on an even keel when the Sox are in a tight pennant race. This thing will be decided the last couple weeks in September. My instinct tells me neither team is strong enough to pull away. I could be wrong about that, but that's just my feeling.

hi im skot
08-08-2010, 11:20 PM

Just chill the **** out.

http://stylembe.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/applause1234363884-1.gif

ChiSoxGal85
08-08-2010, 11:42 PM
I hope to see a White Sox Winner on my birthday when I go Wednesday. :)
Yeah, the Friday game is my birthday as well.

Here's to both of us getting the same birthday present from the Sox - large, capital Ws! :gulp:

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-09-2010, 02:20 AM
I see the anti-management crowd is out in full force today. Don't tell me you were willing to part with someone like Beckham or Viciedo to address the offense.

And it's not like the Sox didn't try. They had a Berkman deal. They tried for Dunn. They tried for Manny too.

kufram
08-09-2010, 02:49 AM
Losing a game in the standings is losing 1 game in the standings... it doesn't matter who beat you to lose that game. Of course we SHOULD take 3 out of four against the Orioles but maybe we SHOULDN'T have swept the Braves.

What matters is that we win one more game than the rest of our division on the final day of the season and make it to the post season where anything can happen. You don't get points added for beating a 1st place team and you don't get points taken off for losing to last place teams.

We mopped up the NL and the Twins were 8-10. Does that make them a bad team that can't beat an AL team?

Now, we are due an offensive glut so let's just squeak past the O's tonight and score a bunch the games after that.

harwar
08-09-2010, 07:05 AM
I've seen this new manager bump thing a few times over the years and it always perplexes me how a bad team can change into a good one for a few series just by the change in manager .. anyway, Edwin Jackson is pitching tonight in a high-pressure situation, but i'm glad that Freddy is going tomorrow night, and not EJ .. what's up with the night game on get-away day .. not sure how that happens,but it's totally unacceptable .. also, i fully expect the White Sox and the twins to switch places in 1st several times before this is over .. i'm looking forward to a great race that should provide some incredibly exciting games ..

Jollyroger2
08-09-2010, 07:51 AM
I've seen this new manager bump thing a few times over the years and it always perplexes me how a bad team can change into a good one for a few series just by the change in manager .. anyway, Edwin Jackson is pitching tonight in a high-pressure situation, but i'm glad that Freddy is going tomorrow night, and not EJ .. what's up with the night game on get-away day .. not sure how that happens,but it's totally unacceptable .. also, i fully expect the White Sox and the twins to switch places in 1st several times before this is over .. i'm looking forward to a great race that should provide some incredibly exciting games ..

There's nothing perplexing about it. Other than the players maybe giving a little more effort the Orioles have done nothing different. Same pitchers, same lineups. The Sox just simply weren't hitting guys with 6+ ERAs.

The traveling after a night game doesn't bother me, it's part of baseball. I've seen people here condemning the Orioles for the scheduling but they're traveling too after the game for a game tomorrow night. It happens. The Sox need to get their act together against another lousy Baltimore pitcher then go home and take two of three against the Twins.

LoveYourSuit
08-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Losing a game in the standings is losing 1 game in the standings... it doesn't matter who beat you to lose that game. Of course we SHOULD take 3 out of four against the Orioles but maybe we SHOULDN'T have swept the Braves.

What matters is that we win one more game than the rest of our division on the final day of the season and make it to the post season where anything can happen. You don't get points added for beating a 1st place team and you don't get points taken off for losing to last place teams.

We mopped up the NL and the Twins were 8-10. Does that make them a bad team that can't beat an AL team?

Now, we are due an offensive glut so let's just squeak past the O's tonight and score a bunch the games after that.

I agree with you.

As I was ridiculed by a previous poster because of what I wrote, trust me, I am not ignorant to realze that any team can beat you at any given day and you might lose a series here and there to a bad team. Yes, I have been watching baseball long enough to realize this. To me, it is just that a bad series vs a bad ball club is very highly magnified at the moment when chasing a very tight division race.

I'm living present day, today. These losses hurt badly TODAY. I don't know what the future willl be and if we are going to be holding the division crown on October 3rd. Maybe we will all be laughing at this series (like the Yankees did about the Nationals last year as the poster pointed out) or we will be drowning in our tears.

Who knows.

All I can say is that this current series (present day) hurts to me. Win tonight and all might go away. Sweep the Twins, and for sure I will be laughing at what happened this weekend. We will wait and see.

TomBradley72
08-09-2010, 10:18 AM
If we win tonight...that will be a 5-3 road trip, .625 winning pct.

Win puts us at 15-10 post All Star break, .600 winning pct (3rd most wins in the AL, unfortunately, the Twins have been the best team in the league since the break)...we're due to "come back to earth" a little after the incredible June/July run, and the team seems a little beat up to me after expending alot of energy over the past 60 days.

Twins aren't going away, we're in for a real pennant race from here to the finish.

Foulke You
08-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Since it seemed to me like the Sox always struggle at Camden Yards in recent memory, I decided to put my brain to the test and looked up on Baseball Reference what our record in Baltimore was. It wasn't my imagination. Since 2007, the Sox are 5W-9L in Camden Yards. This is not good considering the O's have been pretty bad during that time frame. I wonder if our hitters just don't like the hitting background there?:scratch: It isn't Metrodome or Oakland Coliseum bad (yet) but it hasn't been a friendly ballpark to the Sox lately.

Dick Allen
08-09-2010, 11:41 AM
If we win tonight...that will be a 5-3 road trip, .625 winning pct.

Win puts us at 15-10 post All Star break, .600 winning pct (3rd most wins in the AL, unfortunately, the Twins have been the best team in the league since the break)...we're due to "come back to earth" a little after the incredible June/July run, and the team seems a little beat up to me after expending alot of energy over the past 60 days.

Twins aren't going away, we're in for a real pennant race from here to the finish.I'd say it's about time for the ******* Twins to come back to earth, too.

Nelfox02
08-09-2010, 12:09 PM
I'd say it's about time for the ******* Twins to come back to earth, too.

amen to that.....starting this week hopefully...

kufram
08-09-2010, 01:56 PM
I agree with you.

As I was ridiculed by a previous poster because of what I wrote, trust me, I am not ignorant to realze that any team can beat you at any given day and you might lose a series here and there to a bad team. Yes, I have been watching baseball long enough to realize this. To me, it is just that a bad series vs a bad ball club is very highly magnified at the moment when chasing a very tight division race.

I'm living present day, today. These losses hurt badly TODAY. I don't know what the future willl be and if we are going to be holding the division crown on October 3rd. Maybe we will all be laughing at this series (like the Yankees did about the Nationals last year as the poster pointed out) or we will be drowning in our tears.

Who knows.

All I can say is that this current series (present day) hurts to me. Win tonight and all might go away. Sweep the Twins, and for sure I will be laughing at what happened this weekend. We will wait and see.

I'm a little grumpy that we lost those two games too, but I wasn't really surprised by them. I feared they might not do well in Baltimore because everybody assumes you'll beat a last place team. That might get into the players minds too... "ok, I can relax a bit... we'll get these guys" and before you know it it's top of the eighth, you need 3 runs, and the other side's pitcher isn't co-operating because he's got some confidence. Tense times but sure is a lot more fun than being out of the race!

We're going to find out what these guys are really made of over the next week or so. But at least we're at home. Hopefully a big crowd will make a lot of noise and pick the team up.