PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine Dye?

gsang
08-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Any shot we'd consider getting him back in the mix? I'm surprised he hasn't ended up anywhere yet...

GlassSox
08-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Probably not in any shape to play.

Pablo_Honey
08-08-2010, 01:56 PM
He doesn't want to DH. We already have a RF who doesn't want to DH either.

Brian26
08-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Considering he went into his tailspin before the All-Star Break last season, he hasn't been a productive major league player in over a calendar year.

More importantly, he hasn't faced real major league pitching since last September. Even if he's in a cage everyday or facing local community college or high school pitchers, there's no way he's going to be able to help this team this year.

Stoky44
08-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Get it done Kenny! He is our guy!

LITTLE NELL
08-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Pass, we need a LH bat with power.
I am really surprised though that he has remained unsigned, his career is just about history.

palehozenychicty
08-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Too little, too late.

DumpJerry
08-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Pass, we need a LH bat with power.
I am really surprised though that he has remained unsigned, his career is just about history.
He turned down offers from the Nats and Cubs.

MarkZ35
08-08-2010, 04:23 PM
There's a reason why he has only received low deals. These scouts do this for a living and while it is possible he could offer a team moderate help it isnt going to be a big difference. If he would really help that much then they would offer him a big deal he couldnt pass up.

Foulke You
08-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Dye would make a fine DH somewhere likely hitting .270, 25HRs and 80RBI but the problem is that Dye doesn't want to DH. Therefore, he is not playing anywhere.

Foulke You
08-08-2010, 04:26 PM
He turned down offers from the Nats and Cubs.
I also read the Rangers offered him a 1 year deal to be the full time DH there before they ended up settling on Vlad Guerrero.

thomas35forever
08-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Jermaine Dye - coming soon to an independent league team near you

BadBobbyJenks
08-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Jermaine Dye, LOL!

soxlady8
08-08-2010, 07:37 PM
I find it really sad in a way that JD is not playing anywhere.
Even with his low numbers last year , he should be playing somewhere.
I guess he did not want to settle for a team that was not in contention.
That is a wee bit sad too. If you enjoy the game , you play !

He was a great force for the Sox and I have the utmost respect for him!

TDog
08-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Jermaine Dye - coming soon to an independent league team near you

If Jermaine Dye wanted to get back into baseball, he would be in an independent league. The independent leagues will only be active for another few weeks, unless your definition includes Mexican leagues.

Nobody wants Jermaine Dye under his terms, and he isn't going to compromise his terms, just as nobody wanted Frank Thomas last year and no one wanted Barry Bonds after their teams let them go, although the circumstances in each case was different. The only thing the three cases have in common is that some people argued they were victims of racial discrimination, a silly belief, really.

Balfanman
08-08-2010, 08:44 PM
I find it really sad in a way that JD is not playing anywhere.
Even with his low numbers last year , he should be playing somewhere.
I guess he did not want to settle for a team that was not in contention.
That is a wee bit sad too. If you enjoy the game , you play !

He was a great force for the Sox and I have the utmost respect for him! I can honestly say that while I respected Dyes career for the most part, I lost quite a bit of respect for him when he moped and complained last season after we had aquired Rios. K.W. was only trying to strengthen the team and all Dye could due was complain that he might lose playing time. Some team player that is.

JB98
08-08-2010, 10:58 PM
I can honestly say that while I respected Dyes career for the most part, I lost quite a bit of respect for him when he moped and complained last season after we had aquired Rios. K.W. was only trying to strengthen the team and all Dye could due was complain that he might lose playing time. Some team player that is.

Yeah, that bothered me also. That was really out of character for JD, too. He was a class guy and a productive player for all the time he was here -- until the final three months.

He came off as really bitter, blaming the Rios acquisition for his struggles. Contrary to what Dye said in the papers, he didn't go into a slump because he lost at-bats. He lost at-bats because he was mired in the worst slump of his White Sox tenure.

CLUBHOUSE KID
08-08-2010, 11:56 PM
Dye should be playing in the bigs now.

The Dude
08-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Any shot we'd consider getting him back in the mix? I'm surprised he hasn't ended up anywhere yet...

NO SHOT! If we do, our GM should likely be shot. There's a good reason he's not anywhere....he's finished.

pudge
08-09-2010, 12:04 AM
NO SHOT! If we do, our GM should likely be shot. There's a good reason he's not anywhere....he's finished.

If he's finished, it's by his own choosing. Just because he slumped in the second half, that doesn't remove the fact he'd still a solid MLB caliber hitter. Remember, Rios was awful in the second half too.

I just don't get why he wouldn't want to DH. At this stage in his career, why even care about playing in the field? Get a few ABs, collect a nice paycheck for a few more years, maybe win another title somewhere, and then call it a career.

Rohan
08-09-2010, 01:47 AM
:deadhorse::darkcloud::searchfirst:

Nellie_Fox
08-09-2010, 01:58 AM
I just don't get why he wouldn't want to DH. At this stage in his career, why even care about playing in the field? Get a few ABs, collect a nice paycheck for a few more years, maybe win another title somewhere, and then call it a career.But that's up to him, isn't it? He'd rather call it a career now than DH, so that's what it is.

jdm2662
08-09-2010, 10:28 AM
If he's finished, it's by his own choosing. Just because he slumped in the second half, that doesn't remove the fact he'd still a solid MLB caliber hitter. Remember, Rios was awful in the second half too.

I just don't get why he wouldn't want to DH. At this stage in his career, why even care about playing in the field? Get a few ABs, collect a nice paycheck for a few more years, maybe win another title somewhere, and then call it a career.

Some athletes and people in other professions in general don't want to admit their skills have limited or diminished. Carlton Fisk still felt he should've been the starting catcher at age 45. Never mind that he could barely hit the ball anymore and trying to throw someone out at second was an adventure. It was amazing he still could play at the level he did in his early 40s, but eventually caught up to him. Frank felt he still could play at the end of his career eventhough his play told otherwise. Steve Carlton had to be cut from the Philies because he refused to retire. This is despite the fact the owner begged him to retire because he no longer had it. The list goes on and on...

FielderJones
08-09-2010, 11:56 AM
http://www.magnificentbastard.com/images/pics/dirty-harry.jpg
"A man's got to know his limitations."

soxinem1
08-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Why is it every time the White Sox average five or six hits 2-3 games in a row the call goes for JD? :scratch:

I love the guy, but I think he needed to be a realist, take the best deal he could, re-establish himself, then re-enter the market after the 2010 season.

Since he chose to sit at home for nearly 2/3 of a season, he will not have much of a chance to prove the second half of 2009 was a fluke.