PDA

View Full Version : 15-37 to close out the year?

SOXfnNlansing
08-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Can the cubs finish off the 2010 season 15-37 to finish with 100 losses? I see this team mailing in every game from here on out. The cub brass should give Lou the boot to try and motivate the team. Look at how a change in Baltimore has made a difference. I never thought the cubs would be this bad (but I'm lovin' it!); I see them losing 100 games.

What do you think?

DumpJerry
08-07-2010, 09:54 PM
The other day, I said to a Cub fan "I hope your team can win 17 games before the season ends." He asked me why while saying it would not be a problem. I told him 17 wins means no 100 loss season on the books. HE scoffed.

Two or three blow out losses later, he said I might be right.

To give him false hope, I told him the Tigers lost 119 games in 2003 and made it to the World Series in 2006. I'm evil.

Update: I noticed that while we're 63-47, the Cubs are the flip of it (47-63). So, if you think the Cubs can lose 100, can the Good Guys win 100?

SOXfnNlansing
08-07-2010, 10:10 PM
If the good guys take care of business on the next homestand, I think they will get red hot again and win 94-100 games. That being said, we would probably be seeded 2nd, facing the Rays (assuming they win the wild card). I'm drinkin' the kool-aid in early August :redface:

Tragg
08-07-2010, 10:24 PM
The Cubs aren't this bad personnel wise - they're just quitting. At least in 2007, we were pitching Bukvich and playing Torribio.
All the 100 losses will do is give them additional tools with which to rebuild.

DumpJerry
08-07-2010, 10:56 PM
The Cubs aren't this bad personnel wise - they're just quitting. At least in 2007, we were pitching Bukvich and playing Torribio.
All the 100 losses will do is give them additional tools with which to rebuild.
They've been given tools for over 100 years.

chisoxfanatic
08-07-2010, 11:33 PM
If the good guys take care of business on the next homestand, I think they will get red hot again and win 94-100 games. That being said, we would probably be seeded 2nd, facing the Rays (assuming they win the wild card). I'm drinkin' the kool-aid in early August :redface:
I personally think the Rays will win that division and we'd draw the Yankees.

october23sp
08-08-2010, 12:10 AM
They can but they won't.

Nellie_Fox
08-08-2010, 12:40 AM
Look at how a change in Baltimore has made a difference.You might want to wait just a little while before declaring "Mr. Keys to Baseball" to be a success in Baltimore. It's been, what, four days?

CAREY33
08-08-2010, 12:56 AM
I personally think the Rays will win that division and we'd draw the Yankees.

The Sox would play draw the East Division champion unless they somehow caught Texas, which I don't see happening.

The Dude
08-08-2010, 01:02 AM
Where's the "who cares" option?

:whocares
R.I.P.

RadioheadRocks
08-08-2010, 01:07 AM
He still taunts us from the hereafter....

doublem23
08-08-2010, 04:09 AM
Where's the "who cares" option?

:whocares
R.I.P.

I'm pretty sure that's provided by the software not forcing you to post in the thread or answer the poll.

:rolleyes:

Sheesh.

LITTLE NELL
08-08-2010, 06:38 AM
I figure the Flubs for 68-94.
Can you believe over 41,000 at the Urinal yesterday.
The beer must be really good at Wrigley because the baseball isn't.

34rancher
08-08-2010, 07:30 AM
I think at this point they are playing for a draft pick and throwing games...Trying to get a top 5 draft pick.

soltrain21
08-08-2010, 07:36 AM
I figure the Flubs for 68-94.
Can you believe over 41,000 at the Urinal yesterday.
The beer must be really good at Wrigley because the bsaeball isn't.

I was watching the game on TV, and there were A LOT of Reds fans.

Bob Roarman
08-08-2010, 07:51 AM
I think at this point they are playing for a draft pick and throwing games...Trying to get a top 5 draft pick.

Throwing games? This isn't like the NBA where one superstar draft pick can alter the course of the entire organization. It takes more than that in baseball. And even in baseball when those players come around, it's almost unpredictable. Usually prospects in the draft, even the top picks, are years and years off and THEN it depends on how well they develop/how well a team's minor leagues helps that development. It's not something to count on.

doublem23
08-08-2010, 08:27 AM
I was watching the game on TV, and there were A LOT of Reds fans.

I was surprised how many Reds fans were in the bleachers for yesterday's game, easily 10%, probably more. That's always been the 1 impregnable fortress of Cub fandom throughout my life, you'd always have visiting fans or tourists catching a game, but no way were they getting their hands on bleacher tickets.

As long as the Cubs play at Wrigley they're going to draw pretty well, even when they're down, it's not just a place to be seen, but also a tourist draw in and of itself. Whenever I have a friend come in to visit Chicago, going to a Cubs game at Wrigley is almost always on their list of things to do. Even the people that don't really like baseball, or sports in general, it's an experience that people are convinced transcends everything else and is an irreplaceable piece of Americana.

:shrug:

Throwing games? This isn't like the NBA where one superstar draft pick can alter the course of the entire organization. It takes more than that in baseball. And even in baseball when those players come around, it's almost unpredictable. Usually prospects in the draft, even the top picks, are years and years off and THEN it depends on how well they develop/how well a team's minor leagues helps that development. It's not something to count on.

Yeah, I agree. I think you're giving them too much credit if you think they're trying to lose. They just suck. A lot of guys on this roster are going to be on the move soon, the worse they play, the more they hurt their potential PT and paychecks at their future destinations.

SOXSINCE'70
08-08-2010, 08:59 AM
The beer must be really good at Wrigley because the baseball isn't.

If you're a fan of the opponent,it's great.:D:

DumpJerry
08-08-2010, 09:34 AM
I was surprised how many Reds fans were in the bleachers for yesterday's game, easily 10%, probably more. That's always been the 1 impregnable fortress of Cub fandom throughout my life, you'd always have visiting fans or tourists catching a game, but no way were they getting their hands on bleacher tickets.

As long as the Cubs play at Wrigley they're going to draw pretty well, even when they're down, it's not just a place to be seen, but also a tourist draw in and of itself. Whenever I have a friend come in to visit Chicago, going to a Cubs game at Wrigley is almost always on their list of things to do. Even the people that don't really like baseball, or sports in general, it's an experience that people are convinced transcends everything else and is an irreplaceable piece of Americana.

:shrug:

Yeah, I agree. I think you're giving them too much credit if you think they're trying to lose. They just suck. A lot of guys on this roster are going to be on the move soon, the worse they play, the more they hurt their potential PT and paychecks at their future destinations.
I've been hearing from my Cub fan friends who are season ticket holders that they cannot give away tickets for free these days. The fanbase is that upset with them (who can blame them?). Cincy is only a 5 hour drive from Chicago and it's a weekend series, pretty much the same situation when the Cards are here for a weekend.

I agree, they are not throwing games for a draft pick. No baseball player in his right mind will tank his numbers in this age of guaranteed contracts. They all want the big payday.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-08-2010, 09:40 AM
After watching yesterday's game, this Cubs team will lose 100 games. They're brutal.

g0g0
08-08-2010, 10:09 AM
I hope not, but they won't break any records losing 100 this year so it doesn't matter.

Zakath
08-08-2010, 10:32 AM
I can easily see them win less than 70, but to lose 100? That's a bit of a stretch.

Then again, looking at what they have left (31 of the 52 left vs. contenders, including 15 vs. the two teams fighting it out in the NL West), it's possible:

Astros - 6 (3 H, 3 R)
Braves - 3 (3 H)
Brewers - 3 (3 R)
Cardinals - 9 (3 H, 6 R)
Giants - 7 (3 H, 4 R)
Marlins - 3 (3 R)
Mets - 3 (3 H)
Nationals - 3 (3 R)
Padres - 8 (4 H, 4 R)
Pirates - 3 (3 H)
Reds - 4 (1 H, 3 R)

chisoxfanatic
08-08-2010, 11:53 AM
The Sox would play draw the East Division champion unless they somehow caught Texas, which I don't see happening.
The Sox are ONE game behind Texas...How hard would it be to catch and pass them?

cub killer
08-08-2010, 04:57 PM
I hope not, but they won't break any records losing 100 this year so it doesn't matter.
Nope, just adding to their current record of the longest streak of futility in sports history.

Vestigio
08-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Nevermind

doublem23
08-09-2010, 09:38 AM
I agree, they are not throwing games for a draft pick. No baseball player in his right mind will tank his numbers in this age of guaranteed contracts. They all want the big payday.

For sure, it would be one thing if the Cubs shelved all their vets and just played a bunch of kids from AA for the rest of the year, that's tanking. As long as Lee, Ramirez, Fukudome, Soriano, etc. are in the lineup, they're trying to win. Those guys would have no reason to purposefully lose for the benefit of the franchise, even if the Cubs wound up with the #1 pick next June, they'd all likely be gone before that kid ever made it to the Majors, let alone become a difference-maker like a #1 overall pick should be (with the exception of maybe Soriano, who I believe is signed until 2028).

DumpJerry
08-09-2010, 11:02 AM
For sure, it would be one thing if the Cubs shelved all their vets and just played a bunch of kids from AA for the rest of the year, that's tanking. As long as Lee, Ramirez, Fukudome, Soriano, etc. are in the lineup, they're trying to win. Those guys would have no reason to purposefully lose for the benefit of the franchise, even if the Cubs wound up with the #1 pick next June, they'd all likely be gone before that kid ever made it to the Majors, let alone become a difference-maker like a #1 overall pick should be (with the exception of maybe Soriano, who I believe is signed until 2028).
True, if the organization decided to make sure it gets mailed in, they would give the AA kids a chance to play. If I were them, I would do that. During the 2007 White Sox debacle, I kept saying that the crappy season gave some young players valuable experience in The Show with little pressure to actually win. The only flaw in my theory is that the young position guys we played that year are all gone from the team today.

JB98
08-09-2010, 11:33 AM
True, if the organization decided to make sure it gets mailed in, they would give the AA kids a chance to play. If I were them, I would do that. During the 2007 White Sox debacle, I kept saying that the crappy season gave some young players valuable experience in The Show with little pressure to actually win. The only flaw in my theory is that the young position guys we played that year are all gone from the team today.

Playing all those young players was still a fruitful exercise, though, because the Sox realized that all those young players sucked. They wisely went in a different direction and won the division the following year.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-09-2010, 11:46 AM
How can they lose 100? They're still going to win the World Series. :scratch:

SOXfnNlansing
08-12-2010, 01:52 PM
They're 1-3 since the thread was started. Next 11 games are vs good teams. 2-9 would put them 50-75. If they start the National series with the 50-75 record, 14-25 seems more of a reality than a possibility. The last 19 games of their schedule is brutal for this bad of a team.

tstrike2000
08-12-2010, 01:57 PM
They've been given tools for over 100 years.

Well done.