PDA

View Full Version : Will Jerry Manuel be fired soon?

Foulke You
06-25-2002, 01:05 PM
If the Sox continue their freefall into oblivion, will management start gutting the coaching staff starting with Manuel?? With all of the managers being fired this year, you have to wonder if the Sox won't fire Manuel just as a PR move for the fans. The Cubs can get away with not firing Baylor because they have 35,000+ drunken sheep at every game. The Sox don't have this luxury.

I used to think Jerry Manuel's job was completely safe but if the Sox return to Comiskey 8 games back of the Twins then I believe heads will have to roll. A change in coaching and philosophy at this point I think could wake the Sox up from their slumber. This team is really starting to reflect the lethargic, laid back, style of Jerry Manuel. I don't hate Manuel like I did with Bevington. It's hard to not like Jerry Manuel as a person but I think in order for the team to move forward, he has to go.

Jerry_Manuel
06-25-2002, 02:39 PM
I highly doubt it, again see my sig.

If anything they'll can Ward.

Garrison
06-25-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
If the Sox continue their freefall into oblivion, will management start gutting the coaching staff starting with Manuel?? With all of the managers being fired this year, you have to wonder if the Sox won't fire Manuel just as a PR move for the fans. The Cubs can get away with not firing Baylor because they have 35,000+ drunken sheep at every game. The Sox don't have this luxury.

I used to think Jerry Manuel's job was completely safe but if the Sox return to Comiskey 8 games back of the Twins then I believe heads will have to roll. A change in coaching and philosophy at this point I think could wake the Sox up from their slumber. This team is really starting to reflect the lethargic, laid back, style of Jerry Manuel. I don't hate Manuel like I did with Bevington. It's hard to not like Jerry Manuel as a person but I think in order for the team to move forward, he has to go.

I agree with all of the above points. The team just sort of shrugs off failure just like Manuel just claps his hands along with whatever happens. This team needs a spark and he just isn't going to provide it. When the Twinkies gift us a game, and we lose, we're not going to have a good series. If we get swept, or can only win one game to avoid it, then we are 8-10 games back. At this showing of our team, we're never going to make it up in time. This is a golden opportunity for both clubs to gain/make-up ground on one another before the all star break and right now their team looks much more likely to capitalize.

bouldersox
06-25-2002, 06:22 PM
Jerry should be fired -- now! Tonight!

You can't blame Jerry for very many of the Sox woes of late, but everyone knows that's not at issue when a manager is fired. -- You do it to "make a change", "light a fire" or whatever over-used phrase you want. But the bottom line is that the Sox are in free fall, and since you can't fire the whole team, you fire the manager. Let's get this done so that the Sox turn this thing around while it's still worthwhile to turnaround.

MattSharp
06-25-2002, 06:43 PM
No way will Jerry be fired. KW and JR probably don't even think hes doing a bad job. That is what is so wrong with ALL of the Chicago teams. The owners are idiots....

Dadawg_77
06-25-2002, 06:54 PM
I am just waiting for JR to come out and say Manuel's and/or Lenny's job is/are safe.

FanOf14
06-25-2002, 06:54 PM
I am not sure they are idiots, I really think it's that they are cheap as hell more than stupid. I just can't believe that anyone can be as stupid as the owners in Chicago have appeared to be.

ode to veeck
06-25-2002, 07:16 PM
I am not sure they are idiots, I really think it's that they are cheap as hell more than stupid. I just can't believe that anyone can be as stupid as the owners in Chicago have appeared to be

Nope, they are idiots, JR doesn't understand baseball is entertainment and continues to directly insult his team's fans and their intelligence---look at how Sox relative popularity in Chicago has been in steady decline over his tenure

Hal's article missed this point almost entirely

MisterB
06-25-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
With all of the managers being fired this year, you have to wonder if the Sox won't fire Manuel just as a PR move for the fans.

Has Reinsdorf ever done anything just for the fans ? :?:

Originally posted by FanOf14
I am not sure they are idiots, I really think it's that they are cheap as hell more than stupid. I just can't believe that anyone can be as stupid as the owners in Chicago have appeared to be.

Paying $9.5 mil to two players who are each half of a decent shortstop isn't being cheap, it's being stupid.

:hitless :manos
"Who? Us?"

TornLabrum
06-25-2002, 08:35 PM
Hal's article missed this point almost entirely

Only because I was at close to the 1000 word mark and had to delete a whole lot, including that, to tighten up my ranting. :angry:

MattSharp
06-25-2002, 08:44 PM
The bottom line is that it doesn't seem like Reinsdorf cares about the fans, which is dumb, cause without fans he has no money. But we know he is dumb based on the way he runs the team.

MattSharp
06-25-2002, 08:46 PM
I have heard it brought up a couple times lately. I am positive he isn't going anywhere. First of all he hasn't been here that long, and they aren't gonna pay him to sit on his ass somewhere else. It takes years for GMs to get fired. You look at teams who fire their GM, its like 5 years sincec they started going downhill.

If we are lucky in the least, JM and Nardi (and hopefully Gary) will get the boot before the end of July....

kevingrt
06-25-2002, 09:10 PM
You can call in and talk to KW too...

mrwag
06-26-2002, 09:03 AM
Get rid of Ward, bring back Rhiniak (sp?). Atleast Frank can work with him.