PDA

View Full Version : Putz

LITTLE NELL
08-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Lets say Putz is our new closer, where does that leave Jenks?
Does he take over as a hold guy? If he can't close why will he be any better as guy trying to hold the lead?

Nelfox02
08-07-2010, 09:21 PM
JJ looked great tonight

that said, I am still not ready to totally put Jenks out of the closing spot, if Oz wants to give him a few games to get his **** together while at the same time keeping him from pitching in a stadium that has given him trouble even in better times---fine

If over the next couple weeks Bobby looks bad, even w/o blowing a save, just is ineffective......well that forces the hand then

Can the Sox win the division if Jenks fails and you insert putz or thornton or santos as closer? yes.......will it be a lot more difficult tho? yes

I just cant see them making Bobby a set up guy if the boot him.....I guess the best case scenario would be that Bobby gets the mop up role from LineStink and you hope that LineStink can slot into Putz vacated role and continue his recent string of success......I still dont trust LineStink however, and that is big downgrade in the set up man slot IMO

slavko
08-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Got a thread about Putz and all you guys write about is Poor Bobby.

Was there something you didn't like about tonight? Ninth inning too fast for you? Too many strikes thrown? When is the last time Bobby closed a game like that?

voodoochile
08-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Might be at least in part because Bobby has struggled in Baltimore in the past. Or maybe Ozzie wants to give Bobby a few days off to work with Coop.

I don't necessarily think this means Bobby's day as a closer are over on the south side, but time will tell.

Dibbs
08-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Was there something you didn't like about tonight? Ninth inning too fast for you? Too many strikes thrown? When is the last time Bobby closed a game like that?

Exactly. Bobby has been pretty below average for years now. Put Putz in the closer role and have Bobby as the 7th inning guy before Thornton. It's a less important role that will save us a game or two in the standings. When the season is over, we can finally cut ties with Bobby and spend the money elsewhere.

johnnyg83
08-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Got a thread about Putz and all you guys write about is Poor Bobby.

I'm with you. Go with the hot hand. This isn't the time to worry about morale and self-esteem. Less win dis.

Chez
08-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Putz has been incredible nearly all season. Too bad the Sox didn't sign him to a two year deal -- but given his injury history, I can understand why he only got one year.

SOXSINCE'70
08-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Was there something you didn't like about tonight?

AJ may have sprained his ankle.:(:
I'm dealing with one right now, and they're a bitch.
Elevation,ice and an ankle support are my best friends.

southside rocks
08-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Might be at least in part because Bobby has struggled in Baltimore in the past. Or maybe Ozzie wants to give Bobby a few days off to work with Coop.

I don't necessarily think this means Bobby's day as a closer are over on the south side, but time will tell.

Says in the Sun-Times today that Jenks has back soreness/stiffness and that Ozzie is going to wait until Bobby tells him and shows him that he's good to go again.

JMO, but I really think Jenks's troubles this year have a physical cause. I hope whatever it is can be put right.

southside rocks
08-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Exactly. Bobby has been pretty below average for years now.

Huh?

Bobby Jenks' ERA 2005 - 2010

His WHIP for those years

Opponents batting average against for those years

I don't see that the numbers support your statement. Jenks is having an off year this year, and he had some injury issues last year (which I suspect are recurring this year). He had a career-to-date year in 2007, which we all knew; that no-hit streak was pretty good for his stats.

But no, he hasn't been "pretty below average for years now." If anyone expects him to have a 2007 year every year, well, that doesn't happen in real baseball.

soxfanreggie
08-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Putz has been incredible nearly all season. Too bad the Sox didn't sign him to a two year deal -- but given his injury history, I can understand why he only got one year.

You could probably say the same thing about any vet we get in here cheap for whatever reason who then does well (ex. Freddy) and wonder why we didn't go for one more year. About the only thing we could have done with Putz was go for a club option where he gets a second year at more money or something like a $200k buyout.

I think Putz likes being here, and hopefully he'll re-sign with us. If we don't re-sign Bobby, the money will definitely be available to do so.

ndgt10
08-08-2010, 09:41 AM
I've wanted Jenks to do long relief for a while now. Unless the games a blowout, I don't think he can handle pitching in the 8th or 9th inning anymore. Would have been smart trading him a few years ago, too bad that didn't happen.

Craig Grebeck
08-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Huh?

His WHIP for those years

I don't see that the numbers support your statement. Jenks is having an off year this year, and he had some injury issues last year (which I suspect are recurring this year). He had a career-to-date year in 2007, which we all knew; that no-hit streak was pretty good for his stats.

But no, he hasn't been "pretty below average for years now." If anyone expects him to have a 2007 year every year, well, that doesn't happen in real baseball.
If you expect relief pitchers to maintain their performance for extended periods of time, that very rarely happens in real baseball.

Craig Grebeck
08-08-2010, 10:29 AM
You could probably say the same thing about any vet we get in here cheap for whatever reason who then does well (ex. Freddy) and wonder why we didn't go for one more year. About the only thing we could have done with Putz was go for a club option where he gets a second year at more money or something like a $200k buyout.

I think Putz likes being here, and hopefully he'll re-sign with us. If we don't re-sign Bobby, the money will definitely be available to do so.
http://www.baseballprof.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/edwin-jackson.jpg

Oh hey.

cws05champ
08-08-2010, 10:54 AM
http://www.baseballprof.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/edwin-jackson.jpg

Oh hey.

Exactly....That's why you'll see Bobby either released/non-tendered or traded. Which is OK if they sign Putz to a 2-3 year deal. If we still have Putz, Thorton, Santos, Pena, Linebrink and a new arm...we should be ok.

Madvora
08-08-2010, 12:15 PM
I think the whole "role" thing is overrated. Runs scored in the 6th, 7th and 8th inning count just as much as runs in the 9th. If Jenks pitches in the 6th and gives up three runs, we're not going to be doing too well. The problem is that the outrageous money in baseball has made the sport less of a team game. "Closers" need to be closers because those save stats earn them money. Every player needs to play well if we're going to make it and they have to play well as a team, no matter what their "role" is.

Dibbs
08-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Huh?

His WHIP for those years

Call it however you like. Whatever those numbers say above don't really prove anything one way or the other. Bobby is nowhere near an elite closer. He hasn't been for years if he ever was. For the money he's making, it will be nice to finally allocate those dollars elsewhere. I would have Putz close with Bobby pitching in Putz's old role. But what do I know, I would also never have Kotsay DH.

SI1020
08-08-2010, 01:55 PM
I think the whole "role" thing is overrated. I do too, and have said so for years. Not too many people in and out of baseball seem to agree.

bunty_doghunter
08-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Trade Jenks for a bat maybe?

Craig Grebeck
08-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Trade Jenks for a bat maybe?
For a Louisville Slugger, yes, that seems likely. He will be non-tendered, as he has zero trade value.

bunty_doghunter
08-08-2010, 03:31 PM
For a Louisville Slugger, yes, that seems likely. He will be non-tendered, as he has zero trade value.
I just thought that I read that relief help was very hard to come by and that someone might be desperate. Who else could they get these days?

Craig Grebeck
08-08-2010, 03:53 PM
I just thought that I read that relief help was very hard to come by and that someone might be desperate. Who else could they get these days?
The problem is Jenks' pricetag. Teams aren't going to be lining up to pay his salary.