Frater Perdurabo
08-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Nice game

DonnieDarko
08-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Very nice.

johnnyg83
That is a great come back from adversity win. They've been doing it for going on 2+ months. Now let's use the momentum!

Great win!

Zakath
Nice comeback. And nice to get Gavin even for the year, because he's been damn near lights out for 2 months.

Here's hoping AJ's okay.

PicktoCLick72
08-07-2010, 10:04 PM
THis Team suuckssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Get AJ and RIOS out.

Kotsay sucks.

GoGoCrede
Kind of a slow start, but glad to see we won.

Love how the Twins are finally on a roll, but then so are we. They must be so frustrated. :D:

hi im skot
This one feels niiiiiiiice.

manders_01
Started out slowly but ended perfectly...with the Sox on top!!! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

dwitt76
Putz. No drama. Just outs. Actually got 4 of them.

Frater Perdurabo
Nice to see Putz come in, not get distracted by the leadoff man getting aboard, and just close out the game.

cub killer
08-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Great win. The 2005ishness of this season increases with every game.

What's the Magic Number?

GlassSox
Nice win and hope AJ is ok

Blueprint1
:bandance:happy we won!

BlackandWhiteSox
1.19 ERA for Floyd in his last 12 starts, ridiculous. Great pitching and just enough offense/timely hitting is how this team is going to win, would love to see a little more offense but I'll gladly take this win. Now get the next 2. :smile:

johnnyg83
08-07-2010, 10:06 PM
1.19 ERA for Floyd in his last 12 starts, ridiculous. Great pitching and just enough offense/timely hitting is how this team is going to win, would love to see a little more offense but I'll gladly take this win. Now get the next 2. :smile:

Ridiculous!

LITTLE NELL
Nice come from behind victory, 4-2 on the road trip so far, dont stop now boys.

GoGoCrede

Mr. Floyd is brilliant.

StillMissOzzie
Nice come back win, better no-drama closeout in the 9th. I just hope AJ's ankle injury is nothing serious.

SMO
:gulp:

Frater Perdurabo
08-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Let's hope AJ is OK.

However, if they think he might miss 7-10 days, it might we worth putting him on the 15-day DL, and go with a Castro/Lucy platoon. We need AJ in September/October, so I'd rather make sure he heals completely than have him hobbled and struggling.

LITTLE NELL
08-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Why Lucy and not Flowers?

Baron
08-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Nice come back win, better no-drama closeout in the 9th. I just hope AJ's ankle injury is nothing serious.

SMO

Rotoworld is saying sprained ankle and he should miss a couple games

Bucky F. Dent
Good win. Good effort from Putz. But have to clean up the boneheaded stuff on the basepaths. Hope AJ is ok.

johnnyg83
I would like some analysis of our base-running. Outside of Pierre and maybe Rios we don;'t seem to be very swift.

johnnyg83
08-07-2010, 10:11 PM
And Gavin's lowered his ERA from 7.00 on May 16 to 3.49 on Aug. 7. Mercy!

LITTLE NELL
08-07-2010, 10:15 PM
I would like some analysis of our base-running. Outside of Pierre and maybe Rios we don;'t seem to be very swift.

Some ugly baserunning by Kotsy and AJ tonight, thank our lucky stars it didn't come back to haunt us.

Zakath
08-07-2010, 10:15 PM
On 6/2, after a horrible outing vs. Texas, Gavin Floyd's ERA was 6.64.

12 starts later, on 8/7, his ERA is 3.49. Hasn't given up more than 2 ER in any of those starts, and only gave up 2 twice. 83 1/3 IP, 60 H, 11 ER, 1 HR, 19 BB, 68 K, 1.19 ERA, 0.948 WHIP.

:tiphat::clap::bliss::worship::superman:

Frater Perdurabo
08-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Not that it means much right now, because we have to make sure we win the division first, but we're only one game back of the Rangers for the #2 seed in the AL.

It would be outstanding to get the second seed and thus get to start the ALDS at home.

I would much rather start the playoffs at home against the Rays than on the road against the Yankkes.

But let's win the division first.

Frankfan4life
08-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Happy days are here again! :bandance: Boy did we need this win.

Great group of Sox fans at the game! Very entertaining!

AJ I hope you're alright.

Tragg
08-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Castro's done more than a solid job this year. NO need to rush AJ

Frater Perdurabo
08-07-2010, 10:18 PM

Because Flowers can't catch, and because Lucy's solid performance earlier this year has earned him first crack at an injury callup, IMHO.

slavko
08-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Nice to see Putz come in, not get distracted by the leadoff man getting aboard, and just close out the game.

Slider, fastball. Two pitches. Strikes with both. Unfazed by error. For those of you who don't remember it, that how a game is closed out. He and/or Coop figured out why he couldn't get the ball down the last few outings. I love me some no drama 9th innings.

LITTLE NELL
08-07-2010, 10:22 PM

Because Flowers can't catch, and because Lucy's solid performance earlier this year has earned him first crack at an injury callup, IMHO.

All right, you convinced me.

johnnyg83
08-07-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm going to go have drink. Cheers to AJ, Bacon, Thornton, Putz and especially Floyd.

Nelfox02
08-07-2010, 10:27 PM

I dont want any part of Tyler Flowers catching us in a pennant race......

Man, we needed this one tonight, after yesterday.......for the first few innnings it was like reliving the same nightmare........

Big W, great outing from Floyd......pen was fantastic, clutch hitting from Rios and the redeemer by Beckham

Red Barchetta
08-07-2010, 10:27 PM

SMO

I agree. Even the pros make bad judgements at times. AJ should have slid into the bag.

voodoochile
08-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Nice solid typical win. Nothing flashy, just some grind it out offense and great pitching. Glad Ozzie pulled Floyd after 7 got some tough games coming up and want him to be fresh for them. No need to push him to 110+ pitches tonight.

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :bandance:

chisoxfanatic
08-07-2010, 10:43 PM
I was worried about this one as late as the 6th and 7th innings...Great to see they got just enough offense and added an insurance run in the 9th.

fram40
08-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Rotoworld is saying sprained ankle and he should miss a couple games

so who's the emergency catcher? I wonder if they make a roster move - hard to believe they would go with only one available catcher for more than one or two games.

fram40
08-07-2010, 10:46 PM
according to Cowley - via Ranger on post game show - AJ is available tomorrow. "He could start" said Ranger

TDog
08-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Great win. The 2005ishness of this season increases with every game.

What's the Magic Number?

I learned about magic numbers in the summer of 1969. First someone mentioned the Cubs magic number in July, the fans being so excited. In August the Chicago media reported it constantly from August until the point became moot. They had an 8.5-game lead in mid-August. Kenny Holtzman had no-hit the other division leading team, and the only team close to them were the Mets, who had never finished higher than ninth place. In reporting the Cubs season-ending win against the Mets to pull to within 8 games in the standings, a radio announcer added, "in case you're wondering, the Cubs magic number for 1970 is 162."

Magic numbers are for the last two weeks of September and teams with big leads who are about to clinch.

A great game tonight, though. I hope the Orioles bubble has bursts the Orioles' bubble, at least for the next two games.

Great pitching. Timely hitting. They were a little too aggressive on the bases, but eventually they tied the game on an aggressive baserunning play.

Tragg
08-07-2010, 10:51 PM
O is slumping.... Millwood has been a meatball pitcher for years and we couldn't get to him.
Still found a way to nudge in 3 late runs.
Nice shot by Beckham in the 9th.
Hopefully the O breaks out soon.

Frankfan4life
08-07-2010, 10:54 PM
I'm going to go have drink. Cheers to AJ, Bacon, Thornton, Putz and especially Floyd.Pierre and Ramirez rate an honorable mention for getting on base so that they could be driven in and Rios certainly deserves a shout-out for driving in the winning run.

Enjoy! :gulp:

johnnyg83
08-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Pierre and Ramirez rate an honorable mention for getting on base so that they could be driven in and Rios certainly deserves a shout-out for driving in the winning run.

Enjoy! :gulp:

Yep. And how about another year for Vizquel?

Brian26
08-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Pierre and Ramirez rate an honorable mention for getting on base so that they could be driven in and Rios certainly deserves a shout-out for driving in the winning run.

Yes. The tying run and the 9th inning insurance run were direct results of Alexei's speed on the bases.

johnnyg83
08-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Not that it means much right now, because we have to make sure we win the division first, but we're only one game back of the Rangers for the #2 seed in the AL.

It would be outstanding to get the second seed and thus get to start the ALDS at home.

I would much rather start the playoffs at home against the Rays than on the road against the Yankkes.

But let's win the division first.

To listen to Costas on the NY/BS broadcast you would have thought Texas lead over the Sox was 15.

Paraphrase: "The winner of the AL East will most certainly get the White Sox or Twins. Which is important, because you don't want to meet a team as good as Texas in the first round."

Zisk77
08-07-2010, 11:13 PM
so who's the emergency catcher? I wonder if they make a roster move - hard to believe they would go with only one available catcher for more than one or two games.

Konerko is always our emergency catcher. Its his original position. He even said recently that he could do it...but lets not see that.

How about the recent thefts of 2b by alexei!

Frankfan4life
08-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Yep. And how about another year for Vizquel?If he's got another year in him, I'm all for it.

Nelfox02
08-07-2010, 11:17 PM
O is slumping.... Millwood has been a meatball pitcher for years and we couldn't get to him.
Hopefully the O breaks out soon.

Look at our last 2 losses, and what looked like it could be a loss tonight

Bonderman? not good, I think the Angels rocked him today
Bergesen? What? why?
Millwood??? deja vu of awful

Yeah, Bonderman was part of a DH, but still.......

Just stings to be shut down by a trio like that, at least we grabbed a W tonight

Frankfan4life
08-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Yes. The tying run and the 9th inning insurance run were direct results of Alexei's speed on the bases.

Konerko is always our emergency catcher. Its his original position. He even said recently that he could do it...but lets not see that.

How about the recent thefts of 2b by alexei!Alexei's speed was huge in this game. I'm glad he took a chance in the 9th even after the other failed base stealing attempts.

Hopefully, this game gives our offense some momentum for the next few games.

BleacherBandit
08-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Who else KNEW that Kotsay would be thrown out?

DonnieDarko
08-07-2010, 11:50 PM

*raises hand*

thomas35forever
08-08-2010, 12:27 AM
Better late than never for the offense.

Zisk77
08-08-2010, 12:38 AM

<raises hand>:redneck

october23sp
08-08-2010, 01:07 AM
Hopefully AJ is okay. It just looks like he rolled it though.

Foulke You
08-08-2010, 01:28 AM
To listen to Costas on the NY/BS broadcast you would have thought Texas lead over the Sox was 15.

Paraphrase: "The winner of the AL East will most certainly get the White Sox or Twins. Which is important, because you don't want to meet a team as good as Texas in the first round."
Wow, did he really say that? Don't get me wrong, I think Texas is very good. They do have a potent offense and Cliff Lee makes them a tough matchup but I don't think they are leaps and bounds better than the Sox or Twins.

Foulke You
08-08-2010, 01:34 AM
Look at our last 2 losses, and what looked like it could be a loss tonight

Bonderman? not good, I think the Angels rocked him today
Bergesen? What? why?
Millwood??? deja vu of awful

Yeah, Bonderman was part of a DH, but still.......

Just stings to be shut down by a trio like that, at least we grabbed a W tonight
Yeah, but this is typical Sox offense. We know they are going to shut it down for stretches no matter who is on the mound. It just happens with this club. To win this division, we will have to pitch our way there and so far, this plan seems to be working. I do agree that it is very frustrating to watch good hitters in our lineup struggle to hit meatball pitchers that the rest of the league is lighting up.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-08-2010, 02:40 AM
Obviously, I'm glad we won. But seriously, we get thrown out on the bases all the ****ing time! THAT is not a recipe for success. There's aggressive and there's stupid and I think this team is crossing that line.

guillensdisciple
08-08-2010, 03:54 AM
Gavin Floyd, you are ridiculous.

That is all.

WhiteSox1989
08-08-2010, 04:52 AM
Another great game by Floyd. I'm really impressed by him.

I still can't believe this team is in first place. Very impressive.

doublem23
08-08-2010, 05:00 AM

Flowers hasn't been able to hit this year, either.

southside rocks
08-08-2010, 08:23 AM
THis Team suuckssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Get AJ and RIOS out.

Kotsay sucks.

Don't forget the manager -- the players have tuned him out! :rolleyes:

Nice game, but when did Baltimore pitching get so good?

Bob Roarman
08-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Well AJ's just been bad. Like real bad. I think the metrics right now have him as one of the worst hitters in baseball at his position.

kufram
08-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Contract year for AJ and he doesn't look like he's fighting for one. He always does a good job with the pitchers which is his primary job and value. But he has also always been able to handle a bat and give you extreme effort. There aren't even any controversies around him this year. Now THAT is unusual.

I'm all for aggressive running (make them throw you out) and willing to pay some cost but Kotsay trying to get second on Markasis was an automatic out. He's smarter than that.

Nelfox02
08-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Yeah, but this is typical Sox offense. We know they are going to shut it down for stretches no matter who is on the mound. It just happens with this club. To win this division, we will have to pitch our way there and so far, this plan seems to be working. I do agree that it is very frustrating to watch good hitters in our lineup struggle to hit meatball pitchers that the rest of the league is lighting up.

Okay, so since the hitters cant seem to square up awful pitchers thus far on the trip, maybe today when they face a pretty arm in Guthrie they will rock him?

Mark got some nice run support last time out, would be VERY nice to do it again, win a laugher 7-1 or something like that would be just what the doctored ordered

oh, and add to that, somehow someway can the tribe grab a win? That would mean we are no worse than 2 games back going into the showdown this coming week....

TomBradley72
08-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Overall the team seems a little tired and banged up right now. May be a result of expending so much energy to produce the amazing 60 day run that has them in 1st place.

For today/tomorrow, I'd get Jones/Lillibridge/Viciedo some playing time to get the everyone fresh for Minn-Det-Minn after the O's series.

hawkjt
08-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Overall the team seems a little tired and banged up right now. May be a result of expending so much energy to produce the amazing 60 day run that has them in 1st place.

For today/tomorrow, I'd get Jones/Lillibridge/Viciedo some playing time to get the everyone fresh for Minn-Det-Minn after the O's series.

Tomorrow they face a lefty,and I suspect that we will see those guys in the lineup. Guthrie has been hot lately so today I would think we will see our best lefty hitting with Omar,Kotsay ect.

TheCommander
08-08-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm all for aggressive running (make them throw you out) and willing to pay some cost but Kotsay trying to get second on Markasis was an automatic out. He's smarter than that.

Really? What about the game before when he got thrown out at the plate? Had he been running from the get-go, he probably would have been safe.

kufram
08-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Really? What about the game before when he got thrown out at the plate? Had he been running from the get-go, he probably would have been safe.

Yes, but that is a little different in my mind because if you make it you score the big run. He took too long to decide to go but it still took a perfect play to get him. Even if he breaks at the sound of the bat the catcher had the plate very well blocked.... he still might not have made it to the plate.

Having said that I take your point. Smart play to run on, though, whereas not smart to take 2nd on Markasis.

SCCWS
08-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Well AJ's just been bad. Like real bad. I think the metrics right now have him as one of the worst hitters in baseball at his position.

Actually only 3 AL regular catchers are hitting over .250. AJ is 6th in BA for AL full-time catchers

russ99
08-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Hope A.J.'s going to be OK with the ankle, but a little downtime may do him some good right now, and Castro's hitting.

doublem23
08-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Actually only 3 AL regular catchers are hitting over .250. AJ is 6th in BA for AL full-time catchers

I think this is what they're referring to.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/position/c/league/al/sort/OPS/order/true/minpa/200

It's been a rough year for AJ at the plate.

Zakath
08-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Tomorrow they face a lefty,and I suspect that we will see those guys in the lineup. Guthrie has been hot lately so today I would think we will see our best lefty hitting with Omar,Kotsay ect.

Tomorrow (Monday) will be a good day to rest some people, especially after the Orioles were so kind to schedule a night getaway game after today's day game, while the Twins are off tomorrow and play this afternoon.

Hell, the Yankees and Red Sox hate each other with a passion, and the Yankees scheduled the Monday getaway game for Boston at 2:05 ET, with Boston only traveling to Toronto on Tuesday.

NDSox12
08-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Tomorrow (Monday) will be a good day to rest some people, especially after the Orioles were so kind to schedule a night getaway game after today's day game, while the Twins are off tomorrow and play this afternoon.

Hell, the Yankees and Red Sox hate each other with a passion, and the Yankees scheduled the Monday getaway game for Boston at 2:05 ET, with Boston only traveling to Toronto on Tuesday.

I'm not sure we have much of a right to complain about night getaway games considering how few home weekday afternoon games the Sox have this year. As for the Yankees and Red Sox, the Yankees have to fly down to Texas for a game on Tuesday, so I'm pretty sure they did it for their own good, not as an act of kindness towards the Red Sox.

FielderJones
08-08-2010, 01:30 PM

Missed Hawk's park measurements, so I did not realize that the right field line is only 318. Thus, when the ball hit the wall, I did not know that Kotsay would be thrown out. Most balls that hit the wall are doubles, even for Konerko.

I wonder what the price would be for Markakis. I wonder if he would have as good a season as a member of the White Sox, since would not bat .700 against White Sox pitching every year.