PDA

View Full Version : Chris Davis

tm1119
08-07-2010, 06:06 PM
This kid has some serious raw power and is being shopped by the Rangers after being sent down yet again. I wouldn't mind seeing KW take his usual buy low on potential flyer that he likes to do on this kid. As long the Rangers aren't asking for a whole lot of course. Anybody think he could be a potential DH for us?

GregO23
08-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Hes actually a pretty good fielder I thought, so he would be our 1B of the future...only reason the Rangers moved him to 3B is because Smoak is exceptional fielder. I would not mind at all if we got Chris Davis, but it might take a Brent Morel to get him

KRS1
08-07-2010, 06:17 PM
All he's done in the bigs is hit HRs and strike out at a near record pace. At best, he looks like Mark Reynolds 2.0. Pass.

DumpJerry
08-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Hes actually a pretty good fielder I thought, so he would be our 1B of the future...only reason the Rangers moved him to 3B is because Smoak is exceptional fielder. I would not mind at all if we got Chris Davis, but it might take a Brent Morel to get him
Smoak was traded to the Mariners as part of the Cliff Lee deal.

Jpgr91
08-07-2010, 06:41 PM
All he's done in the bigs is hit HRs and strike out at a near record pace. At best, he looks like Mark Reynolds 2.0. Pass.

Mark Reynolds has a career .338 OBP and a .835 OPS. I think those numbers would find their way into any teams daily line up.

KRS1
08-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Mark Reynolds has a career .338 OBP and a .835 OPS. I think those numbers would find their way into any teams daily line up.

And he also has a career BA of 250 and strikes out in excess of 200 time a season. I sure as hell wouldn't want those sure fire completely unproductive outs 1/3 of the time in my lineup for the 30-45 hrs he brings when he actually makes contact with that flailing swing of his. Not to mention his **** D.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-07-2010, 07:02 PM

I think I'd rather keep Morel. Davis hasn't exactly impressed me at the MLB level.

DirtySox
08-07-2010, 07:13 PM
And why would he make it to the White Sox on the waiver wire exactly?

Edit: Or is this thread talking about him being moved in the offseason?

Domeshot17
08-07-2010, 09:51 PM
And he also has a career BA of 250 and strikes out in excess of 200 time a season. I sure as hell wouldn't want those sure fire completely unproductive outs 1/3 of the time in my lineup for the 30-45 hrs he brings when he actually makes contact with that flailing swing of his. Not to mention his **** D.

YAH WHY THE HELL WOULD WE WANT 240 average with 35 homers and 80-100 RBIS WHEN WE ALREADY HAVE AN AWESOME DH/1B hitting .220 with 6 homers and 25 RBIS!!!!!!!

russ99
08-08-2010, 09:59 AM
YAH WHY THE HELL WOULD WE WANT 240 average with 35 homers and 80-100 RBIS WHEN WE ALREADY HAVE AN AWESOME DH/1B hitting .220 with 6 homers and 25 RBIS!!!!!!!

There we go with that homers over everything approach. We're winning without the 16 inch softball team this year, why revert back to it now?

I want an upgrade too, but I'd prefer someone who can put the ball in play and hit an occasional homer, but it's iffy someone like Adam LaRoche can pass through waivers.

doublem23
08-08-2010, 10:23 AM
There we go with that homers over everything approach. We're winning without the 16 inch softball team this year, why revert back to it now?

I want an upgrade too, but I'd prefer someone who can put the ball in play and hit an occasional homer, but it's iffy someone like Adam LaRoche can pass through waivers.

Basically... everyone in professional baseball does that better than Mark Kotsay.

Pablo_Honey
08-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Basically... everyone in professional baseball does that better than Mark Kotsay.
Eh, actually, no one does that better than Mark Kotsay in professional baseball. It's just that when he puts the ball in play, it somehow finds its way to a fielder's glove. Kotsay has no problem putting the ball in play because he neither strikes out or walks much. Goes to show putting balls in play doesn't equal success.

Anyway, I don't care much for Davis. He has power and can hit for some average but he strikes out way too much for a guy who doesn't draw many walks. It's not so surprising to see him struggle at this level. Reynolds is in the same vain, but at least he draws some walks, steals a few and has proven his power. Still, I don't want either guy on this team unless they came cheaply.

tm1119
08-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Eh, actually, no one does that better than Mark Kotsay in professional baseball. It's just that when he puts the ball in play, it somehow finds its way to a fielder's glove. Kotsay has no problem putting the ball in play because he neither strikes out or walks much. Goes to show putting balls in play doesn't equal success.

Anyway, I don't care much for Davis. He has power and can hit for some average but he strikes out way too much for a guy who doesn't draw many walks. It's not so surprising to see him struggle at this level. Reynolds is in the same vain, but at least he draws some walks, steals a few and has proven his power. Still, I don't want either guy on this team unless they came cheaply.

Pretty huge over statement there. Granted Kotsay doesn't K a whole lot, but he's far from the best in the leagues at putting the ball in play well. Kotsay manages to get the bat on the ball a lot, but it's been very rare for him to actually make good contact this season. Luck isn't Kotsay's problem, it's making good swings that is his biggest problem.

Domeshot17
08-08-2010, 03:40 PM

We aren't winning because of our offense. Ultimately, its 100% about Runs Scored on offense. Our current DH (or 6 hitter or whatever) does not drive in any runs or score any runs. He is a pathetically bad hitter. I don't care if its a guy like Davis, a guy like Ichiro, Laroche... I just want someone who can knock some runs in. Kotsay has been terrible. He has been very good off the field, so keep him off. He is on pace to knock in under 45 runs this year in over 400 at bats. That is almost unheard of when you hit in the middle of a lineup.

Pablo_Honey
08-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Pretty huge over statement there. Granted Kotsay doesn't K a whole lot, but he's far from the best in the leagues at putting the ball in play well. Kotsay manages to get the bat on the ball a lot, but it's been very rare for him to actually make good contact this season. Luck isn't Kotsay's problem, it's making good swings that is his biggest problem.
Well, I was being a bit sarcastic with that comment. I was trying to poke fun at Kotsay's classic grounder to second, leading to good ol' fashioned GIDPs. Besides, I never intended to say he puts the ball in play "well" in the likeness of Ichiro, but rather that he does put the ball in play due to his low strikeout and walk totals. Yet another poor phrasing on my part. Still, I don't like how some people put too much emphasis on putting balls in play because that is a poor indicator of a good hitter.

munchman33
08-09-2010, 02:10 PM

Reynolds has also made himself an above average glove at 3rd. He's not a star, but he's definitely a great role player for any team to have.

FielderJones
08-09-2010, 03:49 PM
I was trying to poke fun at Kotsay's classic grounder to second, leading to good ol' fashioned GIDPs.

Rios (http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players/playerpage/383411/alex-rios) has more GIDPs in the last two weeks than Kotsay (http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players/playerpage/7792/mark-kotsay) has all year.

Pablo_Honey
08-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Rios (http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players/playerpage/383411/alex-rios) has more GIDPs in the last two weeks than Kotsay (http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players/playerpage/7792/mark-kotsay) has all year.
Oh my goodness, I didn't know that. Wow, what a ****ing idiot am I to overlook this amazing information of statistics.

Really? Comparing counting stats between a guy who's played third most amount of games on the team and a guy who's had significantly less playing time? Yes, even going by the percentiles Kotsay has GIDP'd less than Rios (Kotsay's 2.8% vs. Rios' 3.4%) but Rios has had more opportunities with runners on base. Also, Rios was in a slump the past few weeks. Considering how much he's done for us so far, people need to cut him some slack for this slump unless he keeps it up. On the other hand, Kotsay has been in a "slump" all season long and for how little he's done for us, I can't cut him slack for constantly grounding out to second and GIDPing occasionally.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-09-2010, 06:13 PM

First of all, what's your point?

Second of all, Rios has 6 GIDP in the last 14 days and Kotsay has 8 GIDP all year so you aren't even right.