PDA

View Full Version : Tigers to bring back Leyland in 2011

Ex-Chicagoan
08-07-2010, 08:31 AM
...as well as GM Dave Dombrowski. Owner believes they're poised to be a playoff contender.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2010/08/tigers_owner_says_manager_gm_w.html

Zakath
08-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Really not Leyland's fault that he's had to manage the Toledo Mudhens this year.

doublem23
08-07-2010, 09:02 AM
The Tigers have $40 M coming off the books next year, IIRC, so they're potentially scary, however, Dombrowski is a bit of an idiot, so I'll breathe easier.

Nellie_Fox
08-08-2010, 01:35 AM
Actually, I'm surprised he wants to come back. I thought he might do a Lou.

doublem23
08-08-2010, 09:43 AM

Having to watch the Tigers 162 times a year gives him an excuse to keep smoking a pack a day.

Whitesox029
08-08-2010, 08:08 PM
He hasn't been managing the Cubs though, so I think the situation is fundamentally different. The Tigers can be bad from time to time, but somehow the Cubs manage to be bad even in years when they are good.

WhiteSox5187
08-08-2010, 09:05 PM
The Tigers have $40 M coming off the books next year, IIRC, so they're potentially scary, however, Dombrowski is a bit of an idiot, so I'll breathe easier.

:scratch: The guy is widely considered to be one of the best GMs in baseball and has built winners everywhere he's gone.

doublem23
08-08-2010, 09:31 PM
:scratch: The guy is widely considered to be one of the best GMs in baseball and has built winners everywhere he's gone.

$140 M payroll and fading out of the worst division race in baseball, what a genius!

P.S., Dombrowski's next division championship will be his first.

Bobby Thigpen
08-08-2010, 10:11 PM
$140 M payroll and fading out of the worst division race in baseball, what a genius!

I suppose it's his fault everyone got hurt?

And how is the AL Central the worst division race in baseball? The Sox are 1 win from tying every divisional leader for wins except for the AL East.:scratch:

JB98
08-08-2010, 10:52 PM
I think Leyland is a good manager. Dombrowski is overrated as a GM.

Can't blame Leyland for the free fall in Detroit right now. They've just been hit hard with injuries. They had some dude named Frazier (who?) batting third in front of Cabrera earlier this week. Hard to compete that way.

WhiteSox5187
08-08-2010, 11:27 PM

He knew those guys would get hurt?

P.S., His next pennant would be his third, I think I'd settle for not winning the division if I won the pennant.

P.P.S, that Florida team that beat the Cubs in '03? He built that team. So you could argue his next pennant would be his fourth. But I'm sure he'd trade it all for a division title!

Oblong
08-09-2010, 01:41 PM
I give Dombrowski a B- for his time here. He arrived in Nov. 2001 and took over the GM duties in April of 2002. That draft was when he took Granderson and Zumaya.
The franchise was among the worst in pro sports. He brought it back to the point where not making the playoffs is a disappointment. That's a great job. The reason I give h im a B- and not an A is the bad contracts he's given out and the lack of development of position players.
He makes great trades. He turned Curtis Granderson and Matt Joyce into Austin Jackson, Max Scherzer, Phil COke, and Daniel Schlereth. He got Miguel Cabrera for a package of guys that includes minor league filler, a certified bust in Andrew Miller, and a guy who is still a prospect in Cameron Maybin. Nothing else.
He brought in David Chadd, who was very instrumental to building up Boston's players that they drafted. He's now a VP and head of scouting.