PDA

View Full Version : Worst MLB mascot ever?

Fenway
08-07-2010, 12:04 AM
The Yankees ill fated DANDY

http://www.waswatching.com/archives/Dandy.JPG

Of course there are these two

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fMXbYpXLTTE/SIjkiNviVvI/AAAAAAAAAKA/p9fiGU9GhAw/s200/ribbie.jpg

Fenway
08-07-2010, 12:13 AM
ME ME ME

http://www.savvysource.com/joomla/images/events/Tampa/Raymond.jpg

SephClone89
08-07-2010, 12:17 AM
What about Southpaw?

What the **** is Southpaw?

RadioheadRocks
08-07-2010, 12:19 AM
IIRC we had a couple of goofy looking mascots called the "Sox Kids" when Bill Veeck regained ownership in the late 70s. They were a boy and a girl who looked like bobble-head dolls and wore those 70s softball uniforms. Pics of these mascots are evidently scarce, as Google searches turned up nothing.

TornLabrum
08-07-2010, 12:32 AM
ME ME ME

http://www.savvysource.com/joomla/images/events/Tampa/Raymond.jpg

Ain't no mascot uglier than Raymond. Never was, never will be.

g0g0
08-07-2010, 08:40 AM
The best is the Chicken. After that everyone else pales in comparison. Well, maybe not the Fanatic.

roylestillman
08-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Current:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZ1oI9ebkbQgTlaw8Hgkd3gmxLxNnqN VqLc6Zxzvinw9QGs2k&t=1&usg=__GiQhRgn4s3R57jtvCJEHz-Q1AMw=

Cleveland's Slider

Historic:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_F2fJOIKB7XA/SFfHy8QFG5I/AAAAAAAAABQ/y1Pzhw2Pwlc/s320/youppi-192.jpg

Les Expos' Youppi

BleacherBandit
08-07-2010, 10:38 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't like Southpaw. I hate how whoever wears the costume wears only regular sized pants. It's disproportionate and frightening.

Ex-Chicagoan
08-07-2010, 11:19 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't like Southpaw. I hate how whoever wears the costume wears only regular sized pants. It's disproportionate and frightening.

Agreed that I don't care for Southpaw, but I also figure I'm well older than the target audience.

Also agree that once you get past the Chicken and the Phanatic, there's not much to cheer about.

Crawford the Crab was awesome, though.

WhiteSox5187
08-07-2010, 12:14 PM
For some reason, I don't mind Southpaw the way I hate other mascots. I think all mascots suck except for the old Benny the Bull, the Phillie Phanatic and for some reason I always liked Youppi of the Expos.

GoGoCrede
08-07-2010, 03:42 PM
I think they're all adorable, personally. They look cuddly.

Bucky F. Dent
08-07-2010, 05:40 PM
There is no place for mascots in baseball. They all tie for worst, imo.

PaleHoser
08-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Can I nominate Ronnie Woo-Woo?

Waldo the White Sox Wolf, an animated character introduced with the White Sox Kids Club in the early 90's was awful. I had kids and they hated him. Ribbie and Roobarb were annoying.

My all-time worst mascot was the Pittsburgh Parrot of the late-80's, who was implicated in the MLB cocaine scandal of that era. He allegedly introduced several players to local cocaine dealers in Pittsburgh.

For fans of The Chicken, he's making an appearance at the U.S. Steelyard at the Gary Railcats game on August 18th. I saw him last year and his shtick is much the same as it was in his hey-day. For me, watching him is alot like watch 'The Three Stooges' - you know what's coming, and it's still funny.

SOX ADDICT '73
08-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Fenway, I didn't realize at first that the pic of Manny was part of your sig, and thought you were including him in your list of worst ever MLB mascots.

He might still qualify.:wink:

TornLabrum
08-08-2010, 11:18 AM

Waldo the White Sox Wolf, an animated character introduced with the White Sox Kids Club in the early 90's was awful. I had kids and they hated him. Ribbie and Roobarb were annoying.

My all-time worst mascot was the Pittsburgh Parrot of the late-80's, who was implicated in the MLB cocaine scandal of that era. He allegedly introduced several players to local cocaine dealers in Pittsburgh.

For fans of The Chicken, he's making an appearance at the U.S. Steelyard at the Gary Railcats game on August 18th. I saw him last year and his shtick is much the same as it was in his hey-day. For me, watching him is alot like watch 'The Three Stooges' - you know what's coming, and it's still funny.

The chicken is also coming to Silver Cross Field in Joliet on August 19. I'll be there since that date is part of my ticket package.

Dick Allen
08-08-2010, 11:25 AM
IIRC we had a couple of goofy looking mascots called the "Sox Kids" when Bill Veeck regained ownership in the late 70s. They were a boy and a girl who looked like bobble-head dolls and wore those 70s softball uniforms. Pics of these mascots are evidently scarce, as Google searches turned up nothing.Geez, I had forgotten about the Sox kids. And I wish you hadn't reminded me.

cub killer
08-08-2010, 04:46 PM
For fans of The Chicken,
I had forgotten about him until he made those Sony commercials with Peyton Manning and James Brown. Now I'm a huge fan.

PeteWard
08-09-2010, 05:48 AM

:o: A giant coke-dealin' parrot!!!!! What's not to like? :cool:

vinny
08-09-2010, 08:45 PM
When the Braves dumped Chief Noc-A-Homa for this guy:

http://bibliothecarianovella.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/homerbraves.jpg

soxinem1
08-09-2010, 08:55 PM

Agreed on all counts.

Waldo was a real dumb idea. No connection with the team.

I personally don't like any of the mascots.

I like the sausages in MIL (even though they are not mascots) and remember when the Chicken toured MLB parks, including Comiskey when it was open, in the late 80's.

RWW had a lot in common with the PIT mascot.........

The closest thing to a mascot I liked was Max Patkin. Though his antics were corny, he was still fun to watch, despite him being mostly at minor league games.

Andy The Clown was the closest to a ballpark character that was tolerable when I was growing up, since the teams often resembled him anyway.

C-Dawg
08-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Fenway, I didn't realize at first that the pic of Manny was part of your sig, and thought you were including him in your list of worst ever MLB mascots.

He might still qualify.

But it raises the question: Is he (or was he) the mascot for the Red Sox, the Dodgers, or ESPN?

AZChiSoxFan
08-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Agreed that I don't care for Southpaw, but I also figure I'm well older than the target audience.

Also agree that once you get past the Chicken and the Phanatic, there's not much to cheer about.

Crawford the Crab was awesome, though.

Do the Pirates still have the Parrot? I always thought that one was pretty good as well.

EDIT: Oops! I just saw post #18 above.

ComiskeyBrewer
08-14-2010, 02:14 AM
I like the sausages in MIL (even though they are not mascots) and
Brewer fans seem to like the sausages A LOT more than Bernie himself.

cards press box
08-14-2010, 05:30 AM
The best is the Chicken. After that everyone else pales in comparison. Well, maybe not the Fanatic.

The Chicken and Phillie Phanatic are excellent but my favorite mascot is this guy:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGXihFOfAd69P8LmU1FwR5eHrHt3b0t jKVMzFpMWvB4-bCne4&t=1&usg=__y8_8sHdDzk5BaqH8LFFesvRXAXo=

Billy the Marlin is outstanding!

Fenway
01-18-2011, 08:33 AM
He was a cousin of R&R and the Phanatic

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703389004575304961535825960.html

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/NY-AH055_MASCOT_DV_20100614211638.jpg

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Dude looks like Roobarb, except he walked through a paint booth and got pinstriped.

ewokpelts
01-18-2011, 08:42 AM
ronnie woo woo?

Fenway
01-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Dude looks like Roobarb, except he walked through a paint booth and got pinstriped.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_F2fJOIKB7XA/SFfHbACv9tI/AAAAAAAAABI/qQn-NTaW8m0/s320/ribbie-and-roobarb-sell-stuff.jpg

JoeyCora28
01-18-2011, 10:15 AM
He was a cousin of R&R and the Phanatic

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703389004575304961535825960.html

I hope the guy wearing that costume had good health insurance. I'm sure he needed it...

Nellie_Fox
01-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Worst of all time? They're all tied for first.

DumpJerry
01-18-2011, 11:06 AM
http://atssportsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/sammy-sosa.jpg

tebman
01-18-2011, 11:10 AM
http://atssportsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/sammy-sosa.jpg

:thumbsup:

LongLiveFisk
01-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Hey I loved R&R when I was a kid. Of course I couldn't tell you what the hell they were supposed to be. :?:

LongLiveFisk
01-18-2011, 11:21 AM

Looks like a jailbird with those bars (I mean stripes). :tongue:

Lorenzo Barcelo
01-18-2011, 12:09 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122508&highlight=mascot

rdwj
01-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Worst of all time? They're all tied for first.

I remember liking RBI and Roobarb as a kid, but now that I'm a grouchy old man, I agree 100%. There is no such thing as a GOOD mascot.

tebman
01-18-2011, 02:11 PM
I remember liking RBI and Roobarb as a kid, but now that I'm a grouchy old man, I agree 100%. There is no such thing as a GOOD mascot.

I've wondered about that. Do the mascots do any good in attracting kids or getting them interested? Obviously a performer in a goofy costume isn't going to tip the balance in somebody's decision as to whether or not to buy a ticket, but if it catches the kids' attention maybe it has some value.

I don't know the answer. If any teams or promotion companies have studied that to see if it works on kids I'd like to know.

Fenway
01-18-2011, 02:39 PM
I've wondered about that. Do the mascots do any good in attracting kids or getting them interested? Obviously a performer in a goofy costume isn't going to tip the balance in somebody's decision as to whether or not to buy a ticket, but if it catches the kids' attention maybe it has some value.

I don't know the answer. If any teams or promotion companies have studied that to see if it works on kids I'd like to know.

My son who is now 19 still has his mascot doll collection :tongue:

In 2000 I brought him to Stade Olympique to a game I was working and arranged for him to meet Youppi!

Youppi! put him in his little truck and drove through the massive tunnel system of that place with Dad running behind with a camcorder.

He adored Wally ( still does ) but his favorite was seeing the Phanatic at the Vet.

Lamp81
01-18-2011, 02:49 PM

My Kids absolutley adore Southpaw. They seek him out when he makes appearances in the area. They get really excited when they can see him behind home plate on TV.

So he has that value in keeping my kids interested, I'm sure many other kids feel the same way.

Anything that will draw a child's interest in the White Sox, is a positive to me.

DumpJerry
01-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Now, Mr. Fenway, did all that snow clog up your noggin'? You started this same thread a few months ago only to repeat it now? Merged.

downstairs
01-18-2011, 03:10 PM

Not sure how old you are and what mascots you remember as a kid... but when I was a kid I absolutely loved Ribbie and Ruhbarb. And since I was pretty darn hyperactive, I'm positive they shut me up for a few minutes so my dad could actually enjoy the game ;)

Fenway
01-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Now, Mr. Fenway, did all that snow clog up your noggin'? You started this same thread a few months ago only to repeat it now? Merged.

Sorry I have had memory loss since

russ99
01-18-2011, 03:18 PM
ronnie woo woo?

We have a winner!! :D:

kittle42
01-18-2011, 03:20 PM

He's a bot! That's the only way to explain the constant news-posting.

DumpJerry
01-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Sorry I have had memory loss since
Is that you in the number 6 jersey (or is it a sweater?)?

rdwj
01-18-2011, 04:23 PM

My guess is that they do very little, if anything to get kids interested in baseball. But, there is no doubt that they distract kids enough to be helpful to parents that are interested in baseball.

Railsplitter
01-18-2011, 06:45 PM
All of them!

sbsox
01-18-2011, 08:43 PM
It is hard to top the SF Crab from '84, my last season as a Giants season ticket holder.............

http://mlb.mlb.com/sf/history/sf_history_timeline_article.jsp?article=31

tebman
01-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Not sure how old you are and what mascots you remember as a kid... but when I was a kid I absolutely loved Ribbie and Ruhbarb. And since I was pretty darn hyperactive, I'm positive they shut me up for a few minutes so my dad could actually enjoy the game ;)
To quote Muddy Waters, I'm way past 21. :redneck

I always thought Ribbie and Rhubarb were superfluous. They weren't entertaining and looked weird. I didn't realize they weren't there anymore until they'd been gone for nearly a year. My kids have no memory of them, which suggests how little impact they made.

The San Diego Chicken actually had a funny act. He was the first and was novel. When other teams copied the mascot idea most of them just looked dopey. Since so many teams have kept it up I thought there might be some evidence that kids liked mascots.

Or maybe it's simply other teams trying to copy a successful formula that hasn't worked out. That Braves baseball-head guy and the Marlins' giant fish makes me wonder what they were thinking.

parlaycard
01-19-2011, 07:24 AM

I have never noticed anyone else's pants.

SOXPHILE
01-19-2011, 08:47 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/081/096/2674692_crop_340x234.jpg?1291378921

PeteWard
01-19-2011, 12:40 PM
:o: A giant coke-dealin' parrot!!!!! What's not to like? :cool:

Gee, du you think the Pirates could have found another source if the parrott was not there? Maybe the Penguin coud have fixed em up!

PeteWard
01-19-2011, 12:43 PM

From my first game at Comiskey when I was five I was utterly enthralled by the game and the park and just being there. That was all I needed.

Ex-Chicagoan
01-19-2011, 01:40 PM
From my first game at Comiskey when I was five I was utterly enthralled by the game and the park and just being there. That was all I needed.

I wonder if we're few and far-between, though?

As a kid I stayed in my seat the whole time. I didn't want to miss a minute of the game. Once I learned to keep my own scorecard, that was my guide to the game.

I remember the first time a group of us from the neighborhood went with all of our parents. We weren't in Old Comiskey for five minutes before the kids asked if I wanted to "walk around." Uhh...no. They spent the whole afternoon just roaming around the whole ballpark. On the way home, it was discovered that they hadn't seen anything. Were it not for the exploding scoreboard, they might have thought we were shut out.

It could be that the mascots were there to give those "walking around" kids something else to do.

SaltyPretzel
01-19-2011, 02:18 PM
I wonder if we're few and far-between, though?

As a kid I stayed in my seat the whole time. I didn't want to miss a minute of the game. Once I learned to keep my own scorecard, that was my guide to the game.

I remember the first time a group of us from the neighborhood went with all of our parents. We weren't in Old Comiskey for five minutes before the kids asked if I wanted to "walk around." Uhh...no. They spent the whole afternoon just roaming around the whole ballpark. On the way home, it was discovered that they hadn't seen anything. Were it not for the exploding scoreboard, they might have thought we were shut out.

It could be that the mascots were there to give those "walking around" kids something else to do.

My dad and I aways went for a walk for a few innings at the old park just to soak up the sights, sounds, smells, and history of the park.

SoxThunder
01-19-2011, 02:34 PM

The person who plays Southpaw is a girl who is about 6 feet tall.

Vestigio
01-19-2011, 02:36 PM
7OdSYygIsr0

He's obviously not an MLB mascot, but I think I found my new favorite one.

samurai_sox
01-19-2011, 03:30 PM
7OdSYygIsr0

He's obviously not an MLB mascot, but I think I found my new favorite one.

:rolling:

MisterB
01-19-2011, 03:54 PM
How about the Giants' Crazy Crab? (Although he was intentionally bad.)

http://kwakattack.polpo.org/files/dd_giantcrab.jpg

A. Cavatica
01-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Does Oney count as a mascot?

Dub25
01-19-2011, 10:29 PM
I think they're all adorable, personally. They look cuddly.

You ever get close to one? They usually stink. It is hot in there especially during the baseball season.