PDA

View Full Version : Ken Burns "Baseball: The Tenth Inning" screening in Chicago.

SephClone89
08-06-2010, 11:42 PM
http://www.broadwayinchicago.com/shows_dyn.php?cmd=display_current&display_showtag=kenburns

Apparently there is going to be a screening and discussion of Ken Burns' new addendum to "Baseball" at the Bank of America Theatre.

I am considering going to this now...

Foulke You
08-07-2010, 02:01 AM
Interesting. If the 2005 White Sox aren't given their due in the film, I hope Ken Burns is ready to field some questions from angry Sox fans about it.:cool:

ewokpelts
08-09-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm a bank of america employee. I'll try and dig up the code.

Gavin
08-20-2010, 10:52 AM
The 6 clips he showed were pretty interesting.

During the Q&A session afterwards, some basement-crawling Red Sox fan asked Ken what he thought about taking the 2005 World Series title away from the White Sox because Bud Selig forced the Astros to play with the roof open even though they didn't want to.

Just about everyone in the crowd was like:
:?::screwloose::rolleyes:

A Southsider from the crowd asked if guys like Thome and Thomas should be excused from the whole steroid era and Burns said he felt like, as much as we want to believe, there's really no way to ever know.... unfortunately.

BleacherBandit
08-20-2010, 12:37 PM

During the Q&A session afterwards, some basement-crawling Red Sox fan asked Ken what he thought about taking the 2005 World Series title away from the White Sox because Bud Selig forced the Astros to play with the roof open even though they didn't want to.

A Southsider from the crowd asked if guys like Thome and Thomas should be excused from the whole steroid era and Burns said he felt like, as much as we want to believe, there's really no way to ever know.... unfortunately.

I was there! The guy that asked about the Astros and their misfortune during the 2005 World Series was pretty much a crackpot. Some other guy confronted Ken on why he never includes the experiences of Slavic peoples in his documentaries. Why would you ever seek out someone like that at an event celebrating him?

It was fun. I got to ask Ken Burns a question!

Gavin
08-20-2010, 01:01 PM
I was there! The guy that asked about the Astros and their misfortune during the 2005 World Series was pretty much a crackpot. Some other guy confronted Ken on why he never includes the experiences of Slavic peoples in his documentaries. Why would you ever seek out someone like that at an event celebrating him?

It was fun. I got to ask Ken Burns a question!

Which question did you ask?

BleacherBandit
08-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Which question did you ask?

I asked where he gets his sound bites that he cleverly puts in everywhere throughout his movies and how he pairs them up with stills.

I was in awe since I was standing in front of one of my heroes. Was I coherent? You can be honest.

Gavin
08-20-2010, 01:07 PM
I asked where he gets his sound bites that he cleverly puts in everywhere throughout his movies and how he pairs them up with stills.

I was in awe since I was standing in front of one of my heroes. Was I coherent? You can be honest.

Were you on the left or right side? My brother and I left after the somewhat autistic-kid, god bless him, on the right side rambled out a question about how he couldn't use algebra and physics to "figure out" baseball. To which Ken answered with a story about how his dad had trouble explaining baseball to the French. IIRC there was a question similar to yours being asked as we were walking out.

BleacherBandit
08-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Were you on the left or right side? My brother and I left after the somewhat autistic-kid, god bless him, on the right side rambled out a question about how he couldn't use algebra and physics to "figure out" baseball. To which Ken answered with a story about how his dad had trouble explaining baseball to the French. IIRC there was a question similar to yours being asked as we were walking out.

I was on the right side. That kid was two ahead of me so you would have left before I had the mic.

Loved the clips he showed us BTW. He's right, nobody can replace Buck O'Neil, but George Will is coming back and he always offers excellent insight. I loved the little clip they showed of some writer admonisihing his kids not to lose their gloves. Priceless.

Hitmen77
08-20-2010, 02:58 PM

That sounds like some Cub fan "we still can't accept that the Sox won" delusion.

Madvora
08-20-2010, 04:11 PM

What was the answer to the question? I have always noticed those in his documentaries.

Foulke You
08-20-2010, 04:13 PM
That sounds like some Cub fan "we still can't accept that the Sox won" delusion.
I agree. Why would a Red Sox fan care about the 2005 World Series? If anything, they were rooting for us to beat ex Yankees like Clemens and Andy Pettitte.

Gavin
08-20-2010, 04:58 PM
I agree. Why would a Red Sox fan care about the 2005 World Series? If anything, they were rooting for us to beat ex Yankees like Clemens and Andy Pettitte.

I think he was trying to be a cute suckup/******* in one of those "I live in my mom's basement where I argue on IMDB messageboards about Ted Williams' legacy" way.

BleacherBandit
08-20-2010, 09:12 PM
What was the answer to the question? I have always noticed those in his documentaries.

He said that they usually have a bunch of sound files on hand that he just sorts through when he needs to bring a photo to life. He said sometimes it can take forever (ex. in the famous footage of people pulling up in front of Comiskey in their 1910 Fords he needed to sync a car engine with the actual clip).

I brought up an example. In the section about the Merkel Boner it is stated that Three Finger Mordicai Brown was subject to a hail of abuse from Giants fans in a decisive game. When a still of Brown pitching was shown, there is sound of actual jeers including a voice that shouts "Hey, Three-Finga! I've got one finga for ya!" Burns obviously commissioned that sound file himself instead of using something from a audial archive. He stated that he never thought about pitching any of his documentaries to HBO or another cable channel because he knew those stations aren't markets for people who wish to watch an 18 hour feature comprised almost entirely out of grainy photos. The accompaning sound is what draws you in. It's genius, really.