PDA

View Full Version : Cardinal's new unfortunate pitching problem

Moses_Scurry
06-25-2002, 11:20 AM
With the sad death of one of STL's pitching rotation anchors, I got to thinking that they will need a replacement. Any chance they might want Ritchie? I don't know what they would have to give up for him, but I'd say the Sox should at least look into it. I read in the trib about a possibility of a Cards trade for Bere with the flubs. If they would take Bere, it seems to me that they would take Ritchie. If the cubs get dilusional from this little winning streak and decide they don't want to trade Bere to help their competition, maybe the Cards will get desperate. Any thoughts? Ritchie is going nowhere with the White Sox.

Cheryl
06-25-2002, 11:24 AM
I don't see Bere going to the Cards since they're division rivals.

I'd trade them Ritchie, but I don't know who they have that we need.

Dadawg_77
06-25-2002, 12:06 PM
Do they have a SS in the sytem?

Also there is talk that the Expos will enter the trade market as a buyer. They have a young good SS in their system. What does the WSI minor league guys think of the kid and what would the Expos want for him?

voodoochile
06-25-2002, 12:23 PM
Probably still a little early to be talking dumping the "pitching savior" that the Sox just gave up 3 arms for earlier this year, but if the current trend continues then expect Ritchie to be at the top of the list for tradable commodities when the time comes...

Jjav829
06-25-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Do they have a SS in the sytem?

Also there is talk that the Expos will enter the trade market as a buyer. They have a young good SS in their system. What does the WSI minor league guys think of the kid and what would the Expos want for him?

This is from mlbprospect.com about Brandon Phillips

2001 in Review: For any shortstop under age 24, what Phillips did between High-A and AA in 2001 would be quite an impressive season. When you consider that Phillips was a teenager, his season becomes one of the elite seasons by any shortstop prospect. At High-A Jupiter, he hit .284 with a 38/45 BB/K ratio in just 194 ABs for a .414 OBP, while stealing 17 bases in 20 attempts. He was promoted to AA Harrisburg, and although his OBP slipped considerably to .337, he improved his average to .298 and his SLG from .428 to .449. Playing mostly third base, Phillips lit up the Arizona Fall League to the tune of a .344 AVG and .516 SLG.

Hitting: There's not much about his offensive game that scouts and statistical analsyts alike don't approve of. His power is clearly developing, as his 31 doubles and 11 homers represent significant strides. He's cut down on strikeouts despite taking more pitches, which has obviously led to an increase in his walk total. If there's one cause for concern, it's that Phillips really saw a drop in his walk rate when he hit AA. This is often a sign that a prospect, at least temporarily, has hit a wall. His average and power remained strong, so it should just be a matter of some small adjustments in 2002.

Running and Defense: Despite having merely above-average speed, Phillips is an able-minded baserunner, stealing 30 bases at nearly an 80% clip on the season. While it's unlikely he'll be able to steal 30 consistently in the Majors, he should swipe 15-25 without a problem. Defensively, he's a slightly more conventional Nomar Garciaparra, with a combination of a rifle arm, excellent range to his right and decent hands. Like Nomar, Phillips is also prone to erratic throws and concentration lapses on routine plays. He should improve.

Daver
06-25-2002, 12:33 PM
From Baseball America

1. Brandon Phillips, ss

Age: 20. Ht.: 6-1. Wt.: 180. Bats: B. Throws: R. Drafted: HS–Stone Mountain, Ga., 1999 (2nd round). Signed by: Darryl Monroe.

Background: The Expos have raved about Phillips’ ability since they selected him in the second round of the 1999 draft. Their enthusiasm remained strong after he hit .242-11-72 at low Class A Cape Fear in 2000, and he justified it in 2001, when he made impressive strides with his strike-zone judgment. Phillips needed just 55 games at high Class A Jupiter to equal his walk total from the previous season and was rated the Florida State League’s third-best prospect. He joined Double-A Harrisburg in midseason, becoming the Senators’ first teenage player since Ugueth Urbina in 1993. Phillips headed to the Arizona Fall League after the season and batted .344 while playing second base, shortstop and third base on a Scottsdale team that also featured top infield prospects Angel Berroa (Royals) and Orlando Hudson (Blue Jays).

Strengths: Phillips is a potential five-tool player at a premium position. He has a live, athletic body and rare natural ability. He’s an above-average defender at shortstop with soft hands, solid range, superior lateral movement, excellent first-step quickness and a cannon for an arm. He has enough power on his throws to go into the hole and nail runners from short left field. At the plate, he has a line-drive swing and impressive bat speed that projects to produce more power in the future. Phillips uses the whole field, gets deep into counts and has an advanced awareness of the strike zone. He is an average runner with astute baserunning skills.

Weaknesses: Despite Phillips’ ability to beat teams with his glove, bat or speed, he’s still rough around the edges. He made 18 errors in 55 FSL games. Though he cut his errors down to 12 in 67 Double-A contests and was much steadier after his promotion, he still needs to show more consistency with routine plays.

The Future: The Expos have an abundance of slick-fielding shortstops, but Phillips’ offense separates him from the rest of the pack. Expos officials say he rises to the occasion, so they’ll challenge him with a promotion to Triple-A Ottawa, where he’ll start the 2002 season at age 20. With Orlando Cabrera entrenched in Montreal, Phillips will be given time to develop his skills.

2001 Club (Class) AVG AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB
Harrisburg (AA) .298 265 35 79 19 0 7 36 12 42 13
Jupiter (A) .284 194 36 55 12 2 4 23 38 45 17