PDA

View Full Version : Joe Maddon wants a new stadium

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-06-2010, 07:41 AM
After yesterday's catwalk incident.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Catwalk-costs-Rays-game-Maddon-wants-a-real-ba?urn=mlb-260569

october23sp
08-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Duh. Could be one of the worst stadiums in sports history.

PKalltheway
08-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Duh. Could be one of the worst stadiums in sports history.
Yeah, no kidding. It's like playing indoor kickball in middle school gym class where we could still catch the ball off of the ceiling for an out. What a dump.

asindc
08-06-2010, 08:37 AM
After yesterday's debacle in that dump, I shuddered when thinking that the Sox could be playing their home games there now.

doublem23
08-06-2010, 08:52 AM
After yesterday's debacle in that dump, I shuddered when thinking that the Sox could be playing their home games there now.

I still shudder at the thought the Sox could have played their home games in Addison.

LITTLE NELL
08-06-2010, 09:04 AM
They need to change the rule that any ball hitting a catwalk is a dead ball. It makes so much sense that it will never happen.
A game and a possible pennant should not be decided on what happenned yesterday.

Red Barchetta
08-06-2010, 09:29 AM
They mentioned during the game yesterday on air that any ball that hits the roof, light towers, catwalks, etc. is still in play, so I guess that means if the fielder would have caught the ball it would have been an out. Crazy rule for a crazy ballpark. Baseball should not be played indoors. It feels like gym class kickball.

After living down here for close to 6 years, I think the only "fans" that like Tropicana or those who live close and enjoy the idea of walking up to a game 15 minutes before it starts and still scoring lower deck box seats. Another horrible turn out last night. There were empty seats all along the lower deck boxes down the baseline that could be seen on TV.

If MLB is to ever survive in the Tampa Bay area, they need a new ballpark (no dome) in a more central or downtown area in order to attact fans from the east, and northeast of Tampa. To put this in a Chicago perspective, this would be like the SOX playing in a crappy dome in Gary, IN and then expecting to draw fans from the northern and western suburbs.

g0g0
08-06-2010, 09:44 AM
To put this in a Chicago perspective, this would be like the SOX playing in a crappy dome in Gary, IN and then expecting to draw fans from the northern and western suburbs.

I remember when they were talking about the Gary Bearies. Man that would have been a disaster.

Red Barchetta
08-06-2010, 09:50 AM
I remember when they were talking about the Gary Bearies. Man that would have been a disaster.

Yeah, Daly enjoyed calling McCaskey's bluff on that one! :tongue:

Rdy2PlayBall
08-06-2010, 10:06 AM
I still shudder at the thought the Sox could have played their home games in Addison.What's wrong with Addison?

doublem23
08-06-2010, 10:11 AM
What's wrong with Addison?

It's a suburb.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-06-2010, 10:33 AM
It's a suburb.I guess that would probably mean less fans... okay. :tongue:
Also, it couldn't be "Chicago" White Sox, right?

doublem23
08-06-2010, 10:34 AM
I guess that would probably mean less fans... okay. :tongue:

Not really, it's for my own selfish reasons, if they moved out to Addison or any other burb, it would be terribly inconvenient for me to get to a game. I live in the city, I can be at Sox Park in 40 minutes or so and not have to pay to park there. It's nice.

DSpivack
08-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Not really, it's for my own selfish reasons, if they moved out to Addison or any other burb, it would be terribly inconvenient for me to get to a game. I live in the city, I can be at Sox Park in 40 minutes or so and not have to pay to park there. It's nice.

If the Sox had moved there in 1991, when I was 7 and not yet a fan, I probably would not have become a Sox fan.

asindc
08-06-2010, 10:46 AM
I really like the fact that Chicago's teams play in Chicago.

doublem23
08-06-2010, 10:47 AM
If the Sox had moved there in 1991, when I was 7 and not yet a fan, I probably would not have become a Sox fan.

Me neither, probably.

PatK
08-06-2010, 11:09 AM

Fire and Wolves?

doublem23
08-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Fire and Wolves?

Both minor leagues.

Coops4Aces
08-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Fire and Wolves?

Who?

DSpivack
08-06-2010, 12:12 PM

Of cities that have teams from all 4 major sports, that would also be true in Philadelphia, Atlanta, and Denver. Maybe more, but that's just off the top of my head.

chisoxfanatic
08-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Fire and Wolves?
The Wolves really aren't a CHICAGO team...They're a minor league affiliate of the ATLANTA Thrashers!

Zakath
08-06-2010, 12:18 PM
I guess that would probably mean less fans... okay. :tongue:

They'd be the Chicago White Sox of Addison. :tongue:

(Still think they should have stuck with California Angels.)

JoeyCora28
08-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Aren't there specific ground rules for the different "rings" of catwalks at Tropicana?

I seem to remember Paulie hitting a mammoth shot a couple of years ago that hit one of the catwalks, but in that case it was ruled a HR.

doublem23
08-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Aren't there specific ground rules for the different "rings" of catwalks at Tropicana?

I seem to remember Paulie hitting a mammoth shot a couple of years ago that hit one of the catwalks, but in that case it was ruled a HR.

I believe the umps have the authority to rule a ball that hits the catwalk a HR if they believe it would have been one, but otherwise, the ball is fair or foul based on where it lands or is 1st touched by someone on the field.

thomas35forever
08-06-2010, 01:07 PM
The Wolves really aren't a CHICAGO team...They're a minor league affiliate of the ATLANTA Thrashers!
Who ****ing cares? Chicago is Chicago no matter how you look at it. I'm not getting into this argument with you again. I get it. You hate the Wolves and love the 'Hawks. Now stop baiting people like me.

Anyway, you had to see someone on the Rays complaining about this. Domes are a bad idea in baseball and yesterday just proved it. If baseball had it with the cookie-cutter stadiums, domes will probably go next.

downstairs
08-06-2010, 01:15 PM

There most certainly would have been an El extension, eventually, to Addison. I wish they moved there, I think they'd draw much better all around, because the Sox could be the 'burbs favorite just because they're in the 'burbs.

thomas35forever
08-06-2010, 01:17 PM
There most certainly would have been an El extension, eventually, to Addison. I wish they moved there, I think they'd draw much better all around, because the Sox could be the 'burbs favorite just because they're in the 'burbs.
I live in Lombard, so the perk of the Sox playing in Addison for me would be that they'd be closer than the Kane County Cougars.

Iwritecode
08-06-2010, 01:19 PM

I believe the umps have the authority to rule a ball that hits the catwalk a HR if they believe it would have been one, but otherwise, the ball is fair or foul based on where it lands or is 1st touched by someone on the field.

I think there are different rules depending on which "ring" the ball hits. I remember Hawk mentioning it before one game.

Hitmen77
08-06-2010, 02:48 PM
What's wrong with Addison?

There's nothing necessarily wrong with Addison as a place to live. But it would have turned out to be a horrible location for the White Sox. ....and I'm speaking as someone who lives closer to Addison than Bridgeport.

If the Sox moved to Addison, they might have built a nice following in DuPage, but that would have been more than offset by the fact that their fan base in the city itself would have been killed.

35th and Shields didn't seem like a good location for the new park in 1989 when they broke ground, but over the last 20 years, urban areas have enjoyed a rebirth and you'd want your park to be near that urban center.

/thread hijack.

GoSox2K3
08-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Same old stupid Twins with their bloop hits and freak plays to win games. :angry:

I guess now that their own monstrosity is gone and they can't win games by chopping balls on the infield turf, they have to turn to games in Tampa and Toronto to win games with these crazy plays.

Like someone else said in the AL Central watch thread, I think someone on the Twins sold his soul to the devil to always come out on top with these kind of nutty plays.

I guess it's a good thing that it wasn't the Rays that beat the Twins on this bull**** play. Otherwise, we'd have to have MLB step in to change their rules to make life fair for poor Minnesota.

Hitmen77
08-06-2010, 03:54 PM

So? The Cougars are an affiliate of the Oakland A's. People don't go around saying they refuse to route for the Cougars because they're really an Oakland team.

ewokpelts
08-06-2010, 04:19 PM

I seem to remember Paulie hitting a mammoth shot a couple of years ago that hit one of the catwalks, but in that case it was ruled a HR.specific spots are hr spots. and other ones are foul. there was a whole explanation of it during the 2008 ALCS

ewokpelts
08-06-2010, 04:22 PM
The Wolves really aren't a CHICAGO team...They're a minor league affiliate of the ATLANTA Thrashers!so says the hawks fanatic.

the chicago wolves play in rosemont. which is accesible to 100% of the local chicago market, and 0% of the local atlanta market.

and they didnt start as an nhl affiliated club.