PDA

View Full Version : Greinke wants out of Kansas City

DumpJerry
08-06-2010, 07:06 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Greinke-not-sure-he-wants-to-stay-with-KC-080510

He gets bored sitting at home in October.

Zakath
08-06-2010, 07:56 AM
He doesn't expect them to be competitive by the time his contract is up in 2012.

Well, we're now certain he's not blind.

hawkjt
08-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Greinke for Edwin Jackson in the off-season?

OmahaSoxFan
08-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Greinke for Edwin Jackson in the off-season?

Greinke suffers from a social anxiety disorder, which means a smaller market like Kansas City might be where he feels the most comfortable. I don't know if that, coupled with Ozzie's personality, the big city market of Chicago where the players' results are a lot more under the microscope and there is a lot more attention, along with the "open" feel of the Sox clubhouse would produce the best results for Zack.

Either way though, he is a hell of a talent and whoever lands him in 2012 (if he does in fact leave Kansas City) is going to land a good (potentially great) pitcher. He's struggled this year, but I think playing for a team that is basically out of the pennant race after the first week of the year is having an impact on that.

Huisj
08-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Greinke suffers from a social anxiety disorder, which means a smaller market like Kansas City might be where he feels the most comfortable. I don't know if that, coupled with Ozzie's personality, the big city market of Chicago where the players' results are a lot more under the microscope and there is a lot more attention, along with the "open" feel of the Sox clubhouse would produce the best results for Zack.

Either way though, he is a hell of a talent and whoever lands him in 2012 (if he does in fact leave Kansas City) is going to land a good (potentially great) pitcher. He's struggled this year, but I think playing for a team that is basically out of the pennant race after the first week of the year is having an impact on that.

Is that anxiety stuff an ongoing thing, or was that more of a major hurdle at the time that it happened but something that's not really on the table anymore? That was what, 2006? Can you really hold a bout with depression from 4 years ago when he was 22 coming off a 5-17 season against him now and conclude he might not be good for a good team?

Red Barchetta
08-06-2010, 09:53 AM
From what I've read, it's an ongoing issue in terms of his relationship with the media, interviews, promotional events. I guess we can't expect every MLB player to be an ambassedor of the team/game if they don't feel emotionally comfortable performing that role.

However, he can pitch so I would love to have him with the SOX. Perhaps a manager like Ozzie would help because we all know Ozzie can take the focus off of players and put it on himself. Which can be a good thing at times.

twinsuck
08-06-2010, 11:42 PM

Plus he hates the White Sox. He'd probably do bad on purpose.

Nellie_Fox
08-07-2010, 12:02 AM
Kansas City stuck by him when he was going through his problems, giving him as much support as he needed. Him going public with this is low-class in my opinion. You want to be traded? Fine. Let your agent handle it.

Slappy
08-07-2010, 12:32 AM
When Peavy expressed similar concerns, I said some not nice things about him on here. But I can honestly understand where Greinke is coming from, and Peavy as well, now. I also didn't see this as a low-class thing to do. Rather, I saw it as him being candid. Yeah, a little frustration is going to bubble over, but it really is a shame to have a guy like Greinke waste away on a Royals team on a fast train to nowhere. He realizes this. Plus, he's been on that train for years.

He's always struck me as having a bit of a 'tude, especially when it comes to the Sox, but I figure he's going through some rough times with his anxiety/depression issues and with not being able to buy a win, so I let it slide.

This is just speculation of course, but I would bet it'd do a lot to his confidence and overall mental health to be on a team even half as ****ty as the Royals. It'd also help out my fantasy team a whole lot. :redface:

soxfanreggie
08-07-2010, 05:56 PM
After all he's been through there in regards to talent he's surrounded with, I don't blame him. However, he had no problem signing his contract and still cashes his checks.

I don't think we'll see him end up in NY, but he could make good for himself in a market like Texas, Minnesota (hope not), or even StL.

Zisk77
08-07-2010, 10:07 PM
I have a kind of funny Greinke story. I went to sox/kc game last year around the 4th of July in Kc. Got seats right behind home plate and sat next to two hot young girls in their early 20's. They were talking about how they new some of the players and hung out with them in clubs. They called Greinke "the mist" because he would always be just chilling by the door with a beer and all of a sudden he'd be gone when no one was looking.

TDog
08-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Kansas City stuck by him when he was going through his problems, giving him as much support as he needed. Him going public with this is low-class in my opinion. You want to be traded? Fine. Let your agent handle it.

This is exactly what I thought. He is an elite major league pitcher today in part because of the support the Royals gave him. I don't believe a lot of teams would have gone through what the Royals did.

johnnyg83
08-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Everything I read about him here is that he's not adept socially, media-wise or clubhouse.

He has the best fastball/change-up combo I've ever seen in person though. But I think he would wilt under even a middle market team's media and fan pressure. KC is a good fit for him whether he knows it or not.