PDA

View Full Version : The rest of August

getonbckthr
08-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Looking at the rest of August for the Sox and Twins I see it as follows:
--------------------
Sox: 16-8 (6-1 against Baltimore, 2-4 vs MINN, 2-1 vs NYY, 2-1 vs Detroit, 2-1 vs KC and 2-0 vs CLE)
Minn: 13-10 (2-1 vs CLE, 4-2 vs Sox, 1-3 vs Texas, 2-1 vs OAK, 2-1 vs SEA, 1-0 vs Det and 1-2 vs LAA).
--------------------
Who knows maybe the Sox will split with Minnesota or actually win the series. Anyways I think come September 1st I truly think the Sox will be up 4 games at that point. We shall see. How does everyone else feel?

LITTLE NELL
08-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Why not at least 3-3 against the Twins, we should win 2 of 3 at home and go 1-2 at their place.

getonbckthr
08-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Why not at least 3-3 against the Twins, we should win 2 of 3 at home and go 1-2 at their place.
I dont think we will get swept in either series so I figured assume the worst case scenario without a sweep.

WhiteSox5187
08-05-2010, 08:22 PM
I think the Sox are going to have to beat Minnesota in order to win this division. Going 2-4 against them down the stretch won't suffice.

kjhanson
08-05-2010, 08:28 PM
I think the Sox are going to have to beat Minnesota in order to win this division. Going 2-4 against them down the stretch won't suffice.

Actually, the Twins are going to have to beat us to win the division. We're the ones in first :smile:

LITTLE NELL
08-05-2010, 08:28 PM

Plus we have 3 more with them at home in Sept, I say we go 5-4 against them.

guillensdisciple
08-05-2010, 08:30 PM
I'll take what you just gave me, that's 4 games up going into September and 24 games over .500.

Not only are we a good margin ahead going into the last part of the season, but we are also part of the mix with the best teams in the A.L.

Our September is pretty rough if memory serves me correctly.

getonbckthr
08-05-2010, 08:35 PM
I'll take what you just gave me, that's 4 games up going into September and 24 games over .500.

Not only are we a good margin ahead going into the last part of the season, but we are also part of the mix with the best teams in the A.L.

Pre-season yes it looked very tough. However Anaheim isn't good (3 games) and neither is Detroit (7 games). As far as Boston goes (7 games) where are they? Youkilis is out for the year, Cameron is hurt. They are on the verge completely falling out of contention. If they do would there be a point to rush Pedroia back or just let him heal?

Zakath
08-05-2010, 08:38 PM

Starts with the end of the three-game series in Cleveland. What makes it rough is 7 with Boston and the West Coast trip near the end of the month. We do however get every division opponent at home during September/early October for the last series against each.

A30-S1 @Cleveland
S3-5 @Boston
S6-9 @Detroit
S10-12 Kansas City
S14-16 Minnesota
S17-19 Detroit
S20-22 @Oakland
S24-26 @LA Angels
S27-30 Boston
O1-3 Cleveland

Minnesota's September is somewhat easier:
A31-S2 Detroit
S3-5 Texas
S6-8 Kansas City
S10-12 @Cleveland
S14-16 @Chisox
S17-19 Oakland
S20-22 Cleveland
S24-26 @Detroit
S27-29 @Kansas City
S30-O3 Toronto

HomeFish
08-05-2010, 08:42 PM
The road to the AL Central crown runs through Minnesota. The Twins have an easier schedule than we do, and to beat them we have to, welll...beat them.

This is why I am convinced that the Twins will win the AL Central. This team is a lot like the 2003 team: we can beat contending teams from other divisions, but we can't beat those pesky Twins.

guillensdisciple
08-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Past the Texas series in September the Twinks have an easy schedule, but until then it is absolutely brutal. I shudder reading their schedule. The Rays did not beat them, but if they are not far behind by September that is very impressive.

So long as the White Sox continue marching to this insane beat they have been on since the beginning of June they should be fine.

Coops4Aces
08-05-2010, 08:47 PM
The road to the AL Central crown runs through Minnesota. The Twins have an easier schedule than we do, and to beat them we have to, welll...beat them.

This is why I am convinced that the Twins will win the AL Central. This team is a lot like the 2003 team: we can beat contending teams from other divisions, but we can't beat those pesky Twins.

White Sox: Avg Win % of remaining Opponents: .485

Twins: Avg Win % of remaining Opponents: .500

guillensdisciple
08-05-2010, 08:49 PM

3-6 is not a sign that we are going to lose games against them all the time.

Hell, it might be a sign that we have been under performing against them. Consider the fact that we play 9 more games against them and I believe it's 6 at our place and 3 at theirs- who is to say we don't tie the series 9-9. That would be the nail in the coffin, even though the season split would show they played us well.

I am more worried that the White Sox take care of the scum in our division. That's what really killed us at the beginning of the season, not the Twins. If we can take care of the Royals and the Indians, we should be well on our way to another playoff run.

DonnieDarko
08-05-2010, 08:50 PM
3-6 is not a sign that we are going to lose games against them all the time.

Hell, it might be a sign that we have been under performing against them. Consider the fact that we play 9 more games against them and I believe it's 6 at our place and 3 at theirs- who is to say we don't tie the series 9-9. That would be the nail in the coffin, even though the season split would show they played us well.

I am more worried that the White Sox take care of the scum in our division. That's what really killed us at the beginning of the season, not the Twins. If we can take care of the Royals and the Indians, we should be well on our way to another playoff run.

This. The Indians are the surprising albatross of this team, and the Royals always play us hard.

guillensdisciple
08-05-2010, 08:51 PM
33-23 gets us to 95 wins and a division championship.

Only 10 games over the rest of the way. For this team, that is basically easy baseball.

getonbckthr
08-05-2010, 08:51 PM
The 7 games against Boston don't really scare me anymore. As far as Minnesota while we got Boston they have a damn good Texas team and a Toronto team that is nothing to mess with.

guillensdisciple
08-05-2010, 08:57 PM
The 7 games against Boston don't really scare me anymore. As far as Minnesota while we got Boston they have a damn good Texas team and a Toronto team that is nothing to mess with.

Consider the fact that they should have lost the series against the Tigers and are managing a split against the Indians right now, and you have the reality of who the Red Sox are this season. Too injured to compete with anyone, and their pitching really has not been anything special.

Oakland and L.A. should not scare anyone, they are out of it and just playing for respectability. Injured and somewhat depleted in the talent pool. Edwin Jackson, if fixed, provides a new dynamic to this pitching staff that will really mess up opposing teams.

We rarely have a fireballer like him throwing against opposing teams, and it would suck to face him and the young studs we have in Danks and Floyd. Then come the veteran location killers with Mark and Garcia and you have some real problems.

hawkjt
08-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Looking at the rest of August for the Sox and Twins I see it as follows:
--------------------
Sox: 16-8 (6-1 against Baltimore, 2-4 vs MINN, 2-1 vs NYY, 2-1 vs Detroit, 2-1 vs KC and 2-0 vs CLE)
Minn: 13-10 (2-1 vs CLE, 4-2 vs Sox, 1-3 vs Texas, 2-1 vs OAK, 2-1 vs SEA, 1-0 vs Det and 1-2 vs LAA).
--------------------
Who knows maybe the Sox will split with Minnesota or actually win the series. Anyways I think come September 1st I truly think the Sox will be up 4 games at that point. We shall see. How does everyone else feel?

The O's have won three in a row vs the Angels,and Showalter has lit a fire under their butts....I think we go 4-3 vs the O's.
I think the Sox split with the Twins.

Bottom line,at this time of year, you never can predict where teams will be at...injuries(Boston),give-up(O's before Showalter)...playing youngsters..and just hot teams can throw any predictions in the waste bin.
As the Tigers found out late in the year,bad teams can rise up,play loose and beat tight contenders. Sox totally screwed the Tigers that last weekend by playing hard and loose.

I like that the Twins play those last four vs the Jays. I think Cito is old school and will play it straight.

elrod
08-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Big question is Morneau. At some point the Twins will need him back.

Also, the bullpen in Minnesota looks very shaky - even after the Capps trade. The Twins blew TWO late inning leads in Tampa, including a 6-run lead in the 8th. Minnesota won both games, but they've got to be worried about the bullpen.

That said, the real determinant of the Twins' performance down the stretch is the starting pitching from Slowey and Baker. Liriano and Pavano will be strong every time out. Duensing is a good replacement for Blackburn but he's a converted reliever and nobody knows how long he'll hold up. Baker and Slowey will determine how the Twins do as a whole. They stunk in late June and early July. But they've been better lately.

Hitmen77
08-05-2010, 09:38 PM
The O's have won three in a row vs the Angels,and Showalter has lit a fire under their butts....I think we go 4-3 vs the O's.
I think the Sox split with the Twins.

Bottom line,at this time of year, you never can predict where teams will be at...injuries(Boston),give-up(O's before Showalter)...playing youngsters..and just hot teams can throw any predictions in the waste bin.
As the Tigers found out late in the year,bad teams can rise up,play loose and beat tight contenders. Sox totally screwed the Tigers that last weekend by playing hard and loose.

I like that the Twins play those last four vs the Jays. I think Cito is old school and will play it straight.

It seems like we're catching a few teams just when they're hot. When we faced the Royals in late June, I think they were on a 8-2 run. The Rangers were red hot when we faced them. The A's were also on a roll when we went out to Oakland.

elrod
08-05-2010, 09:43 PM
It seems like we're catching a few teams just when they're hot. When we faced the Royals in late June, I think they were on a 8-2 run. The Rangers were red hot when we faced them. The A's were also on a roll when we went out to Oakland.

Think of how many teams are saying, "Why did we have to catch the White Sox when they're hot, unlike in April and May?" :cool:

Nelfox02
08-05-2010, 09:44 PM
dont want to predict further than this upcoming series, have a bad feeling we split, would be a nice to take 3

figuring the Twins get a least 2 this weekend....

sox1970
08-05-2010, 10:16 PM
dont want to predict further than this upcoming series, have a bad feeling we split, would be a nice to take 3

After today they're going to be in protect mode with the bullpen. They might lose a game because of what happened today. Plus they'll want Santos, Putz, and Thornton fresh for the Twins. This O's series could be tough, and a split wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.

ghostface36
08-05-2010, 10:40 PM
i think we can get another 20 win monyh
just let gavin pitch everyday and were good!
sox pitching going to have a sub 3 era for the resr of the year i bet

OmahaSoxFan
08-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Sox: 17-7

(5-2 against Baltimore, 4-2 vs MINN, 1-2 vs NYY, 3-0 vs Detroit, 3-0 vs KC and 1-1 vs CLE)

Minn: 14-9

(2-1 vs CLE, 2-4 vs Sox, 2-2 vs Texas, 2-1 vs OAK, 3-0 vs SEA, 1-0 vs Det and 2-1 vs LAA).

I am thinking the Sox finally solve the Twins this month and win 4 out of the 6 games against them (the Sox were close to breaking through last series and are due to get the Twins number one of these days... I am optimistic that will happen this month finally). The Sox should be prime to sweep the Tigers right out of Chicago in the 13th-15th weekend series, a Tigers team which I am thinking will be about 12 games out of the AL Central race entering that series. I also have a feeling the Sox will get a rare (but much needed) sweep of the Royals in Kansas City. The Sox will be due for a struggle versus New York at home and manage to scrape out one win against the "murderer's row" lineup of NYY hitters.

Minnesota will do well against Texas, Oakland and Seattle, I expect 7 wins in those 10 games... which makes the head to head battles key for the Sox.

Either way I am hoping the Sox can "own" the Twinkies this month and gain some extra wiggle room in the race by the end of the month... should be fun!

PeteWard
08-06-2010, 12:57 AM
Big question is Morneau. At some point the Twins will need him back.

Also, the bullpen in Minnesota looks very shaky - even after the Capps trade. The Twins blew TWO late inning leads in Tampa, including a 6-run lead in the 8th. Minnesota won both games, but they've got to be worried about the bullpen.

That said, the real determinant of the Twins' performance down the stretch is the starting pitching from Slowey and Baker. Liriano and Pavano will be strong every time out. Duensing is a good replacement for Blackburn but he's a converted reliever and nobody knows how long he'll hold up. Baker and Slowey will determine how the Twins do as a whole. They stunk in late June and early July. But they've been better lately.

Liriano scares me but I going to go ahead and predict that Pavano will come back down to earth and post a 5 era the rest of the way. Oh and the Sox will win the div by 3 games.:cool:

PeteWard
08-06-2010, 12:59 AM

Nah...the O's shot it already by taking three from LA. I will be very surprised if the Sox don't take 3 or 4. Look at the pitching match-ups.

Zakath
08-06-2010, 07:38 AM

Remember, this is the same Oriole team that went into Texas right before the break and swept the division-leading Rangers in a 4-game set.

They're like a mutual fund, in that past performance is no guarantee of future results.

dwitt76
08-06-2010, 07:49 AM
16 of the final 23 games in September are at home. :D:

Zakath
08-06-2010, 07:51 AM
Nah...the O's shot it already by taking three from LA. I will be very surprised if the Sox don't take 3 or 4. Look at the pitching match-ups.

The Orioles are basically the bizarro Mariners. They can hit, but their pitching staff is just horrendous. The Angels are also no way to judge, as a team that was the best hitting team in the majors last year is now 19th, hitting 26 points worse than last year (and the Rays are even worse, which means I'm even less impressed with the catwalk-assisted split from the Twins). They're also in a Tigeresque slump right now, having lost 11 of their last 14.

Even as bad as the Angels have been, they still scored 14 runs in being swept, which actually improved Baltimore's team ERA, which is still the worst in the AL and second-worst in the majors (Arizona is the worst). If we lose more than one, it won't be because Baltimore beat us; it'll be because we beat ourselves.

Dan H
08-06-2010, 07:55 AM
Actually, the Twins are going to have to beat us to win the division. We're the ones in first :smile:

The White Sox won't be in first long if they don't beat the Twins. This is no time for scoreboard watching. Beat the Twins and take care of business. They can't do with they did in '03 when they lost five straight to the Twins and played themselves right out of contention.

doublem23
08-06-2010, 07:57 AM
(and the Rays are even worse, which means I'm even less impressed with the catwalk-assisted split from the Twins).

Pure insanity, the Rays are arguably the best team in baseball.

Zakath
08-06-2010, 08:03 AM
Pure insanity, the Rays are arguably the best team in baseball.

They may be the best poor-hitting team in baseball history. They're where they are because of their arms, not their bats.

doublem23
08-06-2010, 08:06 AM
They may be the best poor-hitting team in baseball history. They're where they are because of their arms, not their bats.

http://www.vintageball.com/1906_Burke_Sox.jpg

Let's not jump the gun here, friend.

hawkjt
08-06-2010, 08:19 AM
After today they're going to be in protect mode with the bullpen. They might lose a game because of what happened today. Plus they'll want Santos, Putz, and Thornton fresh for the Twins. This O's series could be tough, and a split wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.

Stoney's comment the other day echos this thought. '' Down the stretch,a manangers most precious asset is his bullpen,and he must do everything he can to protect it''

I think the Sox do a fine job of this,and will continue to look big picture as much as possible in using their bullpen. We have all seen a bit of an erosion in command from Thornton,Putz,Jenks,Pena,and Santos over the last couple of weeks. Ozzie must use Sale,Liney and Pena as much as possible.

elrod
08-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Stoney's comment the other day echos this thought. '' Down the stretch,a manangers most precious asset is his bullpen,and he must do everything he can to protect it''

I think the Sox do a fine job of this,and will continue to look big picture as much as possible in using their bullpen. We have all seen a bit of an erosion in command from Thornton,Putz,Jenks,Pena,and Santos over the last couple of weeks. Ozzie must use Sale,Liney and Pena as much as possible.

Santos has been looking pretty good of late. Putz, Jenks and Thornton have been shakier. Hopefully Sale will provide a boost.

Quentin08
08-06-2010, 09:08 AM
I hope we get some big crowds in August. There's nothing better than a packed electric US Cellular Field. And it gives us a bigger home field advantage. Unfortunately, no upper deck tickets have been sold for Tues vs Minn in a week. I keep checking ticketmaster for UD tickets to see how that game is selling, and 1 week ago today, Section 514 Row 8 Seats 17-20 were the best available UD tix. Same seats today. That means so far they've only sold the lower half of the first 4 sections on both sides of the UD.. and no UD tickets have been sold in a week. Why isn't this game selling tix? Wednesday and Thursday aren't much better. You would think if people wanted to go to those games, they would have purchased their tickets already. It's too bad but I think we'll see some small crowds for the Minn series.

SOXSINCE'70
08-06-2010, 09:27 AM
16 of the final 23 games in September are at home. :D:

And that just may be the difference.:)

Coops4Aces
08-06-2010, 10:04 AM
I hope we get some big crowds in August. There's nothing better than a packed electric US Cellular Field. And it gives us a bigger home field advantage. Unfortunately, no upper deck tickets have been sold for Tues vs Minn in a week. I keep checking ticketmaster for UD tickets to see how that game is selling, and 1 week ago today, Section 514 Row 8 Seats 17-20 were the best available UD tix. Same seats today. That means so far they've only sold the lower half of the first 4 sections on both sides of the UD.. and no UD tickets have been sold in a week. Why isn't this game selling tix? Wednesday and Thursday aren't much better. You would think if people wanted to go to those games, they would have purchased their tickets already. It's too bad but I think we'll see some small crowds for the Minn series.

$24+fees is probably the problem. Most people don't know about the 1/2 price codes for the games.

voodoochile
08-06-2010, 11:13 AM
14-5 between now and the Yankees, 17-7 over all...

I actually wouldn't be shocked if it was even better.

Zisk77
08-06-2010, 11:40 AM

:rolling: At least you are consistently predictable homefish, Dec. 2012 must scare the **** out of you.

dwitt76
08-06-2010, 12:38 PM
$24+fees is probably the problem. Most people don't know about the 1/2 price codes for the games.

I will be there Wednesday and Thursday. Mainly b/c of the codes. If I didn't have the codes I would probably only go to 1 game. I also want some sell outs but its not looking likely.

fram40
08-06-2010, 12:59 PM

if section 514 is the best available seats, doesn't that mean a lot of seats have been sold? 529 is behind the plate - so an awful lot of sections are sold. Seems to me it is at least 30,000 sold

btw - I have tickets in 530 for Tuesday's game. Their first game home after a 6 - 2 road trip, i think.

mrwag
08-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Are the 1/2 price codes good for ANY day? I don't know about them, myself.

GoSox2K3
08-06-2010, 02:58 PM

NO!!!!! Absolutely not! Haven't you heard Bert Blyleven? The schedule is unfair to the Twins!

What? We got the Royals when they were on their Ned Yost bounce and we're getting the O's on their Showalter bounce? The Twins got these 2 teams when they were both on a downward spiral? Nonsense. It's the Twins who always have things stacked against them.

khan
08-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Here's how I see it for the rest of August:

4 @ BAL: 2-2 [You can count on Jenks blowing at least 1 game there]
3 v. Min: 2-1
3 v. Det: 2-1
3 @ Min: 0-3 [If Minnesota are 100% healthy by then]
3 @ KC: 2-1
3 v. Bal: 2-1 [See the @ Bal series above]
3 v. nyy: 1-2
2 @ Cle: 0-2 [The SOX continue to crap their pants @ cleveland]

Total: 11-13 for the rest of August

Zakath
08-06-2010, 04:12 PM

I dare say that if Bobby pitches at all in Baltimore, it'll be in a mop-up role where there is no save situation, and he will be on a VERY short leash. He won't get the chance to blow a game.

As for your prediction, are you a HomeFish schtick? Honestly, if we go 11-13 through August, go ahead and crown the Twins division champions.

southsidemomma
08-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Totally agree.

Hitmen77
08-06-2010, 11:52 PM

Ouch. Not exactly a rosy prediction, but I wouldn't call it a "dark cloud" prediction either.

In the end, I think we'll go as far as our pitching takes us (tonight notwithstanding). If Danks-Floyd-Buehrle-Garcia-Jackson can go out and consistently give us good outings and go deep into games, then I like our chances regardless of which team we're facing. Our bullpen is good and having starters go deep into most games should keep them performing well.

Of course we need Jenks to be more reliable too. We can't have frequent meltdowns that cost us victories....that's going to kill us in the end.

Foulke You
08-07-2010, 01:20 AM
I picked up 4 tickets at the box office for Tuesday's game against the Twins and the ticket clerk told me that the game was "close to a sellout". (I didn't ask this information, she volunteered it) Not sure how many tickets left for that game but this was on Thursday. They will likely sell more tickets over the weekend too so I'm predicting either a full house or close to a full house for Tuesday's game.

khan
08-09-2010, 10:44 AM
I dare say that if Bobby pitches at all in Baltimore, it'll be in a mop-up role where there is no save situation, and he will be on a VERY short leash. He won't get the chance to blow a game.

As for your prediction, are you a HomeFish schtick? Honestly, if we go 11-13 through August, go ahead and crown the Twins division champions.
I suppose that I remain haunted by previous disappointments @ baltimore by Jenks. I hope he can give the SOX enough for the team to contend, though I kind of doubt it.

Ouch. Not exactly a rosy prediction, but I wouldn't call it a "dark cloud" prediction either.

In the end, I think we'll go as far as our pitching takes us (tonight notwithstanding). If Danks-Floyd-Buehrle-Garcia-Jackson can go out and consistently give us good outings and go deep into games, then I like our chances regardless of which team we're facing. Our bullpen is good and having starters go deep into most games should keep them performing well.

Of course we need Jenks to be more reliable too. We can't have frequent meltdowns that cost us victories....that's going to kill us in the end.
In any case, 2-2 @ BAL is looking good right now. And that's the frustrating thing about this team. Baltimore sucks, and have sucked up until they changed managers. Baltimore should be a "free/automatic win," inasmuch as interleague play.

But, count on the SOX to play down to their level, right? I wish this team had a murderous streak in them to BURY ****ty teams like baltimore. But, they've done this all season long, save for the hot streak in June/July.

As to the rest of my previous post, I really hope I'm wrong about the month of August for this team.

dwitt76
08-09-2010, 11:50 AM
I picked up 4 tickets at the box office for Tuesday's game against the Twins and the ticket clerk told me that the game was "close to a sellout". (I didn't ask this information, she volunteered it) Not sure how many tickets left for that game but this was on Thursday. They will likely sell more tickets over the weekend too so I'm predicting either a full house or close to a full house for Tuesday's game.

Nice. We need some sell out crowds.

beasly213
08-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Nice. We need some sell out crowds.

I bought 4 last night in the outfield. Not sure how close it is to being a sell out but I really hope it is. We need a pumped up crowd.

Quentin08
08-09-2010, 12:38 PM
It's not even close. The ticket clerk likely didn't know what she was talking about. There will be 25,000 at the most.. same for Wed and Thursday.

GoGoCrede
08-09-2010, 12:42 PM
It's not even close. The ticket clerk likely didn't know what she was talking about. There will be 25,000 at the most.. same for Wed and Thursday.

How do you know?

downstairs
08-09-2010, 03:18 PM

During the '08 run we were often getting 27-30k or more per game on weekdays down the stretch. And this was not against the team we were chasing (Twins). We never played the Twins at home during the 2nd half of 2008 (which is strange.)

I could easily see sellouts, or very very close to sellouts.

Hitmen77
08-09-2010, 03:30 PM
In any case, 2-2 @ BAL is looking good right now. And that's the frustrating thing about this team. Baltimore sucks, and have sucked up until they changed managers. Baltimore should be a "free/automatic win," inasmuch as interleague play.

But, count on the SOX to play down to their level, right? I wish this team had a murderous streak in them to BURY ****ty teams like baltimore. But, they've done this all season long, save for the hot streak in June/July.

As to the rest of my previous post, I really hope I'm wrong about the month of August for this team.

I know a few people here have pointed out that Texas got swept by Baltimore. But there's a huge difference: Texas has a comfortable lead in the AL West. We have a razor thin lead and it's slipping through our fingers as we fail to beat teams like Baltimore.

We're making Baltimore's starters look like Cy Young candidates (same old problem for this team). If we keep this up, then we're staying home after Oct. 3. Unfortunately, it's very typical over the last 10 years for Sox teams to flounder in the 2nd half.

oeo
08-09-2010, 03:40 PM
I know a few people here have pointed out that Texas got swept by Baltimore. But there's a huge difference: Texas has a comfortable lead in the AL West. We have a razor thin lead and it's slipping through our fingers as we fail to beat teams like Baltimore.

We're making Baltimore's starters look like Cy Young candidates (same old problem for this team). If we keep this up, then we're staying home after Oct. 3. Unfortunately, it's very typical over the last 10 years for Sox teams to flounder in the 2nd half.

Actually, if there's any difference, it's that the Orioles are inspired by a new manager right now, and the fact that the Rangers were swept at home. Losing to the worst team in baseball is losing to the worst team in baseball, it doesn't matter how far ahead you are in the division. You can never afford to lose those games.

One poor series and you're already standing on the ledge? Give me a break.

Why are people so afraid of disappointment? If you're afraid of being disappointed, is winning ever fulfilling? Doesn't seem like it. Enjoy the race and the ups and downs it brings especially considering we don't get to do this every year.

oeo
08-09-2010, 03:54 PM

That's what they were getting against the Mariners (at the least- 26, 25, 28). There will be a huge number of walk-ups. I don't know if they will sell them all out, but it will be in the mid-30000's at least.