PDA

View Full Version : Should the Sox retire #21 in honor of Don Cooper?

doublem23
08-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Obviously not talking right now, but down the road, after Coop retires, should the Sox honor him with the rest of the franchise's greats?

october23sp
08-05-2010, 01:26 PM
I said no, but not because only players should get numbers retired. He doesn't have one Cy Young under his belt.

BleacherBandit
08-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Gah. That's hard because on one hand I don't really like the idea of retiring numbers other than those of actual players. But he is one of the best pitching coaches in the MLB and has been instrumental (like you said) in the development of our pitchers for over two decades.

However, Reinsdorf shouldn't pull a Charlie Lau on us and quasi-retire it. If you don't want to give it after Coop retires then retire the number.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-05-2010, 01:29 PM
I voted yes, but I assume that everyone knows that teal should be implied with that vote.

hdog1017
08-05-2010, 01:33 PM
What number does he wear?

Pablo_Honey
08-05-2010, 01:35 PM
What number does he wear?
Um, it's in the title.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Anyone notice that the Pirates already retired it and Coop hasn't even been their pitching coach?

chisoxfanatic
08-05-2010, 01:47 PM
I think a team should only retire a number if he played for them.

Coops4Aces
08-05-2010, 01:50 PM
:rolling:

Good one doub

Moses_Scurry
08-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Are there any strictly hitting or pitching coaches in the HOF?

Domeshot17
08-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Just retire the big 5 multiples of 7- Kotsay-Konerko-Cooper-Thomas-Jackie Robinson

sox1970
08-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Just retire the big 5 multiples of 7- Kotsay-Konerko-Cooper-Thomas-Jackie Robinson

No love for Joey Cora?

Domeshot17
08-05-2010, 02:09 PM
No love for Joey Cora?

Here is what I know of Joey Cora:

He was a pretty okay ball player, but if we don't retire Ventura's 23 we sure don't retire 28 as a player....

As a Coach Cora has had 2 jobs: 3rd base coach (sucked at it) and Bench Coach. I hear he is an okay bench coach, but I also hear how he is in charge of improving player defense. If you look at Alexei you might say it worked. If you look at Josh Fields last year you might say it didn't.

hdog1017
08-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Um, it's in the title.

My bad.

PatK
08-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Not until he can stop Bobby from blowing 3 run leads

ghostface36
08-05-2010, 03:33 PM
hes done an extremely good job with most of our pitchers
im excited to see what he can do with a full year w edwin jackson

Tragg
08-05-2010, 03:34 PM
No
OG's number gets retired before his, at this point.

Hitmen77
08-05-2010, 03:40 PM
none of the 3 options fits my opinion. I don't think he should have his number retired, but not because it's "only for players".

Yeah, I like him and he's been great, but let's not get carried away here.

I know that JR unofficially retired Lau's number. But I don't see that as permanent. When Reinsdorf is gone and the Sox have new ownership, I fully expect #6 to be used again.

This desire to honor Coop somehow gets back to my suggestion that I have raised from time to time that the Sox should establish some sort of official team "Hall of Fame" where franchise greats like Ventura, Allen, Thigpen, Horlen, Wilbur Wood, Ozzie, etc. (plus coaches like Ozzie, Lopez and Cooper) can be honored without making the retired number thing completely ridiculous.

Zisk77
08-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Gah. That's hard because on one hand I don't really like the idea of retiring numbers other than those of actual players. But he is one of the best pitching coaches in the MLB and has been instrumental (like you said) in the development of our pitchers for over two decades.

However, Reinsdorf shouldn't pull a Charlie Lau on us and quasi-retire it. If you don't want to give it after Coop retires then retire the number.

So was Ray Berras and Johnny Sain. Don't retire their numbers honor them some other way, like maybe a pennant with their name on it or something.

kittle42
08-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Love this thread, particularly since most of the responses indicate that teal really is needed.

southside rocks
08-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Not until he can stop Bobby from blowing 3 run leads

Could we have this as a poll option, please?

downstairs
08-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Are there any strictly hitting or pitching coaches in the HOF?

I highly doubt it. There are only a few managers. If any coach were HoF quality, they undoubtedly would have another team give them a deal they couldn't refuse to manage them.

soxfanreggie
08-05-2010, 05:10 PM
This desire to honor Coop somehow gets back to my suggestion that I have raised from time to time that the Sox should establish some sort of official team "Hall of Fame" where franchise greats like Ventura, Allen, Thigpen, Horlen, Wilbur Wood, Ozzie, etc. (plus coaches like Ozzie, Lopez and Cooper) can be honored without making the retired number thing completely ridiculous.

I'm all for the team "Ring/Hall of Honor/Fame" where we put their name somewhere, put up a mural, and hang a jersey in the team HOF. As for retiring numbers, I'm more for that honoring guys for career accomplishments like #35 has.

If we throw up a few more AL and World Championships, then we're talking more about Ozzie, Coop, etc. when it comes to honoring them. If we win one more under Ozzie, I can see his being retired due to the not-so-long lis of managers with multiple titles. Once you get to managers with three or more, there would be no discussion about retiring #13 if we added two or more titles.

TDog
08-05-2010, 05:28 PM
I said no, but not because only players should get numbers retired. He doesn't have one Cy Young under his belt.

Manager Casey Stengel's 37 was retired by the Yankees, where 16 numbers are not available for active players (and you won't get permission from the owner to wear most of them). In Anaheim, where the Angels actually have played their home games since moving out of Wrigley Field, coach Jimmy Reese had his No. 50 retired, despite having only a short playing career, during which he roomed on the road with Babe Ruth, or at least his trunk (who'd of thunk both of them would get their numbers retired). The Angels at one time retired 26 for Gene Autry, which wasn't his number, of course. Now it's just his initials. The A's have a similar honor for Charlie Finley, though A's fans in Kansas City do not share the love.

I don't think you should retire Don Cooper's number, if only because Ray Berres was a better pitching coach, and his number isn't getting retired, unless he was 35 or 42 or something like that.

Rockin Robin
08-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Why stop there? Man Soo Lee needs some love too.