PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Delgado

VMSNS
08-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Just heard on The Score that the White Sox (:whiner:), Red Sox, and Rockies are interested in Carlos Delgado.

Discuss.

pythons007
08-05-2010, 09:15 AM
:puking::puking::puking::puking::puking::puking::p uking::puking::puking:

pmck003
08-05-2010, 09:24 AM
He is only 2 years removed from a 271-350 plus, 38 hr season. Limited numbers last year were fine too. I wouldn't care if they didn't get him, but I think he has a decent upside.

Rockabilly
08-05-2010, 09:27 AM
give him a minor league contract and see how he does for a few weeks

VenturaFan23
08-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Whatever keeps Kotsay away from the starting lineup, I'm all for it at this point. :shrug:

Give him a minor league deal and see what happens.

dwitt76
08-05-2010, 09:28 AM
:help:

Craig Grebeck
08-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Whatever keeps Kotsay away from the starting lineup, I'm all for it at this point. :shrug:

Agreed.

beasly213
08-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Might as well sign Jermaine Dye... But whatever. If he goes down to the minors and proves he can hit I'm fine with it. If he can't hit you don't bring him up. No big deal.

russ99
08-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Not a bad idea, maybe the Sox can get a few decent months out of him. At worst he has little in the tank and is released.

rowand33
08-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Here's an article on it:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-latest-news-from-August-080110

I fully support giving delgado a minor league deal and seeing if we can call him up next month.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-05-2010, 09:49 AM

Agreed. As long as he can ambulate, he can outperform Kotsay.

g0g0
08-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I thought the Sox should have picked him up this spring. The only problem with him is the injuries. If he can stay healthy then he'll be a great addition.

sox1970
08-05-2010, 11:30 AM
http://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/20395473474

http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/20395824588

spawn
08-05-2010, 11:32 AM

So, I think we already know they need to hit better. the bottom line is, they haven't, and I see nothing that will makes me believe they will.

rowand33
08-05-2010, 12:08 PM
http://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/20395473474

Could we get a run down of what these say for those of us who can't look at twitter at work?

russ99
08-05-2010, 12:10 PM
So, I think we already know they need to hit better. the bottom line is, they haven't, and I see nothing that will makes me believe they will.

What's he going to say?

"Yeah, these guys are the worst players ever, and a 50 year old who unretired would be better"...

You seem to forget there's a manager and a general manager on this team. Ozzie says things to watch his players' backs and take the pressure off and Kenny goes out and get players where he sees that the Sox need them.

spawn
08-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Could we get a run down of what these say for those of us who can't look at twitter at work?

Ozzie says a DH isn't needed...Kotsay and Jones just need to hit better, and the Delgado rumors caught him by surprise.

spawn
08-05-2010, 12:13 PM
What's he going to say?

"Yeah, these guys are the worst players ever, and a 50 year old who unretired would be better"...

You seem to forget there's a manager and a general manager on this team. Ozzie says things to watch his players' backs and take the pressure off and Kenny goes out and get players where he sees that the Sox need them.

I've consistently supported both the GM and the manager of this team, so where do you come off telling me I seem to forget this? Of the moves that have been made, this is the ONLY one I've been in disagreement, and this is after I told myself I'd wait for the results before passing judgement. The results haven't been there, and I think we as Sox fans have a right to be critical of the lack of production out of the DH spot.

eriqjaffe
08-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Kotsay and Jones just need to hit betterSince 2007, Jones has hit a whopping .206. I don't know what Ozzie expects from him, because this is clearly who he is now.

Kotsay, OK, I'll give him a bit of slack as he's well below his career averages, and hasn't been in a trough for the past 4 seasons.

Coops4Aces
08-05-2010, 12:29 PM

:rolling:

I wish I had a job that I could suck at for 4 months and my boss says all nonchalantly that I just need to perform better

asindc
08-05-2010, 12:35 PM

I assume you see some risk in this possible transaction. I'm interested to hear what that might be.

Randar68
08-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Delgado, Dye, etc... How quickly can guys like that who haven't been facing live pitching even get into game shape and catch up with the speed of the game?

I would guess they won't help you much for 2-3 weeks minimum.

LoveYourSuit
08-05-2010, 12:53 PM

What a thoughtful post.

DaveFeelsRight
08-05-2010, 01:05 PM
he would be a good bat off the bench.

pythons007
08-05-2010, 01:07 PM
I assume you see some risk in this possible transaction. I'm interested to hear what that might be.

This is my thought process on this. What exactly can he do? He hasn't played any type of baseball since early last year. He had hip surgery and the dude is 38! I'm willing to bet he's not going to be moving to well, and some of the hitting comes from the hips.

This is Kenny's guy and Kenny gets his guy no matter what. Even if he's 10 years past his prime.

What a thoughtful post.

I thought it was a lot easier then typing what I typed above.

Bobby Thigpen
08-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Might as well sign Jermaine Dye... But whatever. If he goes down to the minors and proves he can hit I'm fine with it. If he can't hit you don't bring him up. No big deal.
If Jermaine hit LH they may consider it. But he doesn't, so why sign him?

asindc
08-05-2010, 01:11 PM
This is my thought process on this. What exactly can he do? He hasn't played any type of baseball since early last year. He had hip surgery and the dude is 38! I'm willing to bet he's not going to be moving to well, and some of the hitting comes from the hips.

This is Kenny's guy and Kenny gets his guy no matter what. Even if he's 10 years past his prime.

I still don't get why you think this would be a risky move.

Craig Grebeck
08-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Maybe a little heat/pressure on Kotsay might actually make him perform better? How fragile is that guy to need all of this positive reinforcement?

pythons007
08-05-2010, 01:28 PM
I still don't get why you think this would be a risky move.

I would rather give a minor league contract to a guy that might have a better chance of helping the team (Dye for instance).

Craig Grebeck
08-05-2010, 01:30 PM
I would rather give a minor league contract to a guy that might have a better chance of helping the team (Dye for instance).
Jermaine Dye wants no part of a minor league contract.

asindc
08-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Jermaine Dye wants no part of a minor league contract.

He also has refused to DH, hence his prolonged offseason.

Craig Grebeck
08-05-2010, 01:38 PM
He also has refused to DH, hence his prolonged offseason.
And probable early retirement.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-05-2010, 01:55 PM
I'd love to see Carlos Delgado DH for us. Give him a chance. What do we have to lose?

Pablo_Honey
08-05-2010, 02:36 PM
I'd love to see Carlos Delgado DH for us. Give him a chance. What do we have to lose?
Mark Kotsay's clubhouse presence and leadership skills. He's the only thing that's holding this team together.

LoveYourSuit
08-05-2010, 03:00 PM

Delgado on a wheel chair is better than Kotsay.

Anything right now over Kotsay would excite me.

Frater Perdurabo
08-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Maybe Kotsay read today's news before today's game.

oeo
08-05-2010, 05:30 PM
I don't think he's a legitimate option for anything other than an extra bat off the bench in September. No way I would expect Delgado to come in here and be the everyday DH, he hasn't played since May of last year.

eriqjaffe
08-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Maybe Kotsay read today's news before today's game.
:ozzie
"Wait, so all I had to do to get those guys to go 4-6 was just say they have to start hitting better? Why the **** didn't I do that two ****ing months ago? HEY, BOBBY, STOP PITCHING LIKE ****, OK?"

TheVulture
08-05-2010, 06:09 PM
What a thoughtful post.

He had to think how many smilies to use and how far to space them along with finding a spot to insert his comment. Seven smilies and six spaces was a pretty good choice, but I question his decision to insert the comment after the fifth smilie. However, artistic discretion must be considered, so I give a pass on that count.

Overall, a well executed post IMO.

I have to agree that Delgado seems like a bad idea. Just bat Viciedo.

Boondock Saint
08-05-2010, 07:47 PM
While I'm all for any move that finds more time on the bench for Kotsay, I don't think this is the right move, at least not now. In March or April, this would have been a great move, but now, he needs time to prepare to face major league pitching, and there's no guarantee that he'll be able to help at all due to age and/or injury. If it were April and he was failing to produce, we could cut bait and move on to plan B. But now, if he fails to produce, we've wasted precious time that could have been spent finding that productive bat on the waiver wire seeing if Delgado has anything left in the tank.

getonbckthr
08-05-2010, 07:55 PM
It can't hurt to take a look. If you think there is any value sign him to a minor league contract.

Dibbs
08-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Mark Kotsay's clubhouse presence and leadership skills. He's the only thing that's holding this team together.

It is hilarious. What is this? The 4th or 5th year in a row now the White Sox are the most mentally weak team in the league.

JB98
08-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Delgado on a wheel chair is better than Kotsay.

Anything right now over Kotsay would excite me.

But is Delgado better than Teahen? Remember, Teahen could just take Kotsay's spot next week. Delgado would have to be an upgrade over Teahen in order to justify being on the 25-man.

I don't have the answer to that question. Teahen hasn't played in two months. Delgado hasn't played in 15 months. I'm just saying the Sox shouldn't sign Delgado because Kotsay sucks. He would have to beat out Teahen, too.

That said, I don't see any downside to giving Delgado a minor-league deal and taking a look at him. If he blows, you just cut him and move on.

NLaloosh
08-05-2010, 08:36 PM
It's already August. How in the world is a 38 year old that hasn't played ball in a year going to be of any help to a team now ?

What a waste of time.

getonbckthr
08-05-2010, 08:42 PM
It's already August. How in the world is a 38 year old that hasn't played ball in a year going to be of any help to a team now ?

What a waste of time.
Does it hurt to take a look?

Foulke You
08-05-2010, 10:55 PM
But is Delgado better than Teahen? Remember, Teahen could just take Kotsay's spot next week. Delgado would have to be an upgrade over Teahen in order to justify being on the 25-man.

I don't have the answer to that question. Teahen hasn't played in two months. Delgado hasn't played in 15 months. I'm just saying the Sox shouldn't sign Delgado because Kotsay sucks. He would have to beat out Teahen, too.

That said, I don't see any downside to giving Delgado a minor-league deal and taking a look at him. If he blows, you just cut him and move on.
This is kind've how I feel too. I'm not entirely sure that a 38 year old Delgado will give us more than the much younger Mark Teahen. Hitting aside, I definitely know that Teahen can certainly run better than Delgado.

harwar
08-06-2010, 10:01 AM
maybe for next year .. let him play in charlotte and he would have to play winter ball i would think .. he's been in 26 games in the last 2 years ..

Slappy
08-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Kenny always gets his guy. Delgado is 38, hasn't played in like 2 years, he'd need a substantial rehab assignment to get his timing back, and even then, a serious adjustment period to get used to live in-game hitting when he gets the call.

Doesn't Kenny realize that these old guy signings just hurt us more than help us? I mean, this search for lightning in a bottle is getting a little ridiculous.

TomBradley72
08-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Kenny always gets his guy. Delgado is 38, hasn't played in like 2 years, he'd need a substantial rehab assignment to get his timing back, and even then, a serious adjustment period to get used to live in-game hitting when he gets the call.

Doesn't Kenny realize that these old guy signings just hurt us more than help us? I mean, this search for lightning in a bottle is getting a little ridiculous.

The Ken Hill of left handed hitters.

balke
08-06-2010, 11:36 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Red-Sox-working-out-Carlos-Delgado?urn=mlb-260684

UPDATE: Red Sox likely to get him IMO.

Delgado is the perfect pick up - big power and lefty. Whoever is complaining about this is nuts. He didn't forget how to hit. He played with those hip issues and posted a .914 OPS last season.

Do it White Sox - there's your DH. This would be an even better pickup than Dunn IMO - and WAY cheaper. Pick him up today - and he might hit 500 HR in time for the playoffs.

His ability to play occasional 1B would make Kotsay expendable

SSrep
08-06-2010, 11:39 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Red-Sox-working-out-Carlos-Delgado?urn=mlb-260684

UPDATE: Red Sox likely to get him IMO.

I'm glad the picture they used of the 38 year old is of him yawning

asindc
08-06-2010, 11:40 AM

Hurt us how?

SSrep
08-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Hurt us how?

Exactly. ONE good game from Kotsay and now replacing him would hurt us?

Slappy
08-06-2010, 11:47 AM
That's why arguing with some of you is pointless. I list off reasons why it'd be a dumb idea to go after him, and then you say "Hurt us how?"

balke
08-06-2010, 11:53 AM
That's why arguing with some of you is pointless. I list off reasons why it'd be a dumb idea to go after him, and then you say "Hurt us how?"

Your reasoning isn't that strong. The DH combo on this team is hitting below .210. The Sox have plenty of time to rehab him and wait for rosters to expand if they want. He's not asking for a multi-year deal that I know of. Probably like 3 million or less to join a contender.

Frank Thomas could sign tomorrow and give you more than Kotsay and Jones are right now with the bat.

Did you know Harold Baines was 40 when he hit .312 with a .919 OPS?

asindc
08-06-2010, 11:55 AM

You listed reasons why it might not work, not reasons why it would hurt to try it.

Slappy
08-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Your reasoning isn't that strong. The DH combo on this team is hitting below .210. The Sox have plenty of time to rehab him and wait for rosters to expand if they want. He's not asking for a multi-year deal that I know of. Probably like 3 million or less to join a contender.

Frank Thomas could sign tomorrow and give you more than Kotsay and Jones are right now with the bat.

Did you know Harold Baines was 40 when he hit .312 with a .919 OPS?

I didn't know Baines did that actually. But if you're saying that if Baines did all that, then Delgado can do it, too, then your reasoning isn't exactly on solid ground either.

The bottom line is Delgado hasn't played in 2 years and he wouldn't help us this year more than Kotsay. It'd just be another signing akin to Griffey and Andruw.

Randar68
08-06-2010, 12:14 PM
I didn't know Baines did that actually. But if you're saying that if Baines did all that, then Delgado can do it, too, then your reasoning isn't exactly on solid ground either.

The bottom line is Delgado hasn't played in 2 years and he wouldn't help us this year more than Kotsay. It'd just be another signing akin to Griffey and Andruw.

We went from not playing in a little over a year to not playing in 2 years all in the matter of this thread, apparently. :rolleyes:

asindc
08-06-2010, 12:17 PM

Griffey was 38 when the Sox signed him, younger than Thome is this year. Andruw is 33 years old, younger than Konerko, Vizquel, AJ, Castro, Freddy, and Thornton, and only six months older than Pierre.

eriqjaffe
08-06-2010, 12:25 PM
I'd be happy if 33-year-old Andruw hit more like 4-billion-year-old Omar Vizquel.

asindc
08-06-2010, 12:32 PM
I'd be happy if 33-year-old Andruw hit more like 4-billion-year-old Omar Vizquel.

So would I, which is why I wonder why Delgado's age has anything to do with it.

konerko 14
08-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Why would Kenny want him, He hasn't played since May of last year!

balke
08-06-2010, 01:23 PM

Left handed and a career line of: .280 .383 .546 .929
He played WITH his injury last season until the pain was too much - and still posted a .919 OPS

thomas35forever
08-06-2010, 01:58 PM
That's probably one reason Ozzie remains content keeping Kotsay and Jones at DH.