PDA

View Full Version : HOF Players You Saw Live

WhiteSox5187
08-05-2010, 04:52 AM
This is kind of related to the Stan Musial thread but I got to thinking of how many HOF players I saw play live. I was born in 1987 and the list is shorter now than it was a few years ago and may get shorter still (thank you PEDs), but off the top of my head there are five players currently in the HOF that I KNOW I have seen play:

Carlton Fisk
Rickey Henderson
Paul Molitor
Ryne Sandberg
Andre Dawson

I might have seen Dave Winfield and Robin Yount play against the Sox at some point, but I don't know that for a fact.

Here are some future HOFers I have seen play:

Greg Maddux
Randy Johnson
Ken Griffey Junior
Frank Thomas
Roberto Alomar
Omar Vizquel
Derek Jeter

There might be a couple of other guys there that I have missed. Who is on your list?

WhiteSox5187
08-05-2010, 04:53 AM
Cal Ripken Junior! I know I saw him play! Dammit, how could I forget Cal?!

LITTLE NELL
08-05-2010, 06:23 AM
My list would be too long, but I've seen them all since 1955.

GoGoCrede
08-05-2010, 11:07 AM
My list would be too long, but I've seen them all since 1955.

Man, I wish I was older. Never thought I'd say that. :cool: What an amazing list.

Zisk77
08-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Carlton Fisk
George Brett
Kirby Puckett
Ozzie Smith
Mike Schmidt
Willie Stargell
Johnny Bench
Ryne Sandberg
Gary Carter (is he in?)
Bruce Sutter
Eddie Murray
Tony Perez
Rod Carew
Tony Gwynn

Soon or possibly to be:

Frank Thomas
Craig Biggio
Jeff Bagwell
Dave Parker
Harold Baines
Ken Griffey JR.
Jim Thome
Roberto Alomar
Albert Pujols
Dale Murphy
John Schmoltz
Chipper Jones

TDog
08-05-2010, 11:30 AM
I saw a lot of Hall of Famers live. I would have to do some research to find a definitive list. I remember having fun (among other fans) interacting with Rich Gossage when he was 20 and the White Sox had their bullpen down the third base line. I saw Carl Yastzemski drop a fly ball. If there was a future Hall of Famer playing with an American League team in the early 1970s, I saw them when at Old Comiskey. I went to some National League games, a few at Wrigley (Ferguson Jenkins pitched one of the games) and some in other cities. And I've seen a lot of baseball since. I talked with Tony Gwynn when he was breaking in with the Padres in his first spring training in Yuma. I suppose the list gets even longer if you include the spring training games I've seen.

The downside is that I remember seeing Carlton Fisk when Angels runners stole against him at will. I remember Willie Mays when he should have been retired. The one incident that most made me cringe I didn't see live but on television. In 1973, he was in the Mets outfield. He fielded a hit and tossed the ball to another outfielder to throw it back it to the cutoff man. Almost two decades earlier, in black and white, he outran a fly ball hit to the deepest part of any ballpark in baseball, catching it over his shoulder, turned and fired the ball back to the infield. That's the Willie Mays I needed to see.

SI1020
08-05-2010, 11:53 AM
The downside is that I remember seeing Carlton Fisk when Angels runners stole against him at will. I remember Willie Mays when he should have been retired. The one incident that most made me cringe I didn't see live but on television. In 1973, he was in the Mets outfield. He fielded a hit and tossed the ball to another outfielder to throw it back it to the cutoff man. Almost two decades earlier, in black and white, he outran a fly ball hit to the deepest part of any ballpark in baseball, catching it over his shoulder, turned and fired the ball back to the infield. That's the Willie Mays I needed to see.

7dK6zPbkFnE

Anyone recognize the announcer?

PKalltheway
08-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Ryne Sandberg
Andre Dawson (with the Marlins)

That's all for me.

SephClone89
08-05-2010, 12:44 PM
7dK6zPbkFnE

Anyone recognize the announcer?

Isn't it Brickhouse?

Moses_Scurry
08-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Already In:
Carlton Fisk
Dave Winfield
Eddie Murray
Andre Dawson
Ryne Sandberg
Pete Rose - oops!
Gary Carter
Kirby Puckett
Tony Gwynn
Ozzie Smith
Cal Ripken

No Doubt About It:
Griffey Jr
Ichiro
Randy Johnson
Frank Thomas
Albert Pujols
Greg Maddux

I'm sure there are a lot more that I'd have to think about.

guillen4life13
08-05-2010, 01:36 PM
I've seen:

-Ripken Jr.
-Thomas
-Thome
-A-Rod
-Jeter
-Maddux
-Griffey
-Alomar
-Vizquel
-Manny Ramirez
-Schilling
-Ichiro
-Pujols
-Guerrero
-Ivan Rodriguez

SI1020
08-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Isn't it Brickhouse? I'd say ding ding ding we have a winner. Only I don't have anything to give you. Yes it is none other than Jack Brickhouse who was doing play by play with Russ Hodges (Giants broadcaster famous for his 1951 call of Bobby Thomson's pennant winning homer) for NBC television.

UofCSoxFan
08-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Awesome thread:

I may have to edit my list once I think back on it, but off the top of my head:

Kirby Puckett
George Brett
Dave Winfield
Andre Dawson
Ryne Sandberg
Wade Boggs
Paul Molitor
Carlton Fisk

....there may be more I'm forgetting but I'm only 26, so most of the greats I've seen aren't eligible yet.

Future HOFs the list may be too long:
Frank Thomas
Omar Vizquel
Ichiro
Jeter
Gonzaelz
Mo Rivera
Vlad Guerro
Griffey
Alomar
Maddux

Some guys that have a shot:
Oswalt
ohan Santana
Jore Posada
Andruw Jones
Jim Thome
Mark Buerhle (if he plays long enough, which he probalby won't)
Joe Mauer (yes I know its way too early)
Sammy Sosa (stats alone he deserves to be there so he may eventually get in)

I've met:
Brooks Robinson
Tony Oliva (not in but should be)

eastchicagosoxfan
08-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Reggie Jackson
Dave Winfield
Rod Carew
George Brett
Ricky
Cal Ripken
Eddie Murray
Wade Boggs
Carlton Fisk
Ryne Sandburg
Andre Dawson
Harmon Killebrew
Kirby Puckett
Yaz

downstairs
08-05-2010, 04:03 PM
I never went to many games, sans 2005 when I went to like 8 straight before they clinched.

And all the games I went to tended- for whatever reason- to be against real bad teams with no real big stars.

So I guess any White Sox HoF'er from 1981-now I've seen. But not much else.

I did see Mark McGwire. But I'm thinking he's not getting in any time soon.

johnny bench
08-05-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm really glad I went to the 1983 Old Timers Day game, held the day before the All Star game in Comiskey. Now where can I find a list of some of the HOF players on that day?...right here on WSI.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?id=2240&category=2 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/../rwas/index.php?id=2240&category=2)

Johnny Mostil
08-05-2010, 10:44 PM
In order in which they were elected . . .

Clemente
Gibson
Frank Robinson
Brooks Robinson
Brock
Hunter
Stargell
Bench
Yastrzemski
Palmer
Morgan
Carew
Perry
Jenkins
Seaver
Fingers
Jackson
Carlton
Schmidt
Niekro
Sutton
Ryan
Brett
Yount
Fisk
Perez
Winfield
Puckett
Smith
Murray
Carter
Molitor
Eckersley
Boggs
Sandberg
Sutter
Ripken
Gwynn
Gossage
Henderson
Rice
Dawson

I've seen several games with managers who are now in the HoF, but assume those don't count here.

PeteWard
08-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Too long as it would include just about every AL-er in the 70's as I averaged about 20 games per year from 72 to 79 but some really earlies:

Willie Mays leaping at the walll to rob some Cub of a double around 1969& saw Rose & Bench and the Reds in 1970 at the urinal

Comiskey 60's: Yaz in his rookie year and my first game, Ted Williams (as manager of the Senators); Al Kaline

Some HOF action I saw live: Saw the Sox crush Nolan Ryan at least 3 times when he was with Cal. Saw Jim Palmer one hit them till the 7th or so and then the Sox pounced late and won. Saw reggie whiff three times.
Saw George Brett, Rod Carew, Eddie Murray Robin Yount and Paul Molitor kill them countless times. Saw Jim Rice hit a speaker high on the old center field wall. Biggest sox killers from that era who were not HOF were Jon Mayberry, Ben Oglivie, Paul Splittorf, Ken Singleton. Frank Tanana....

Nellie_Fox
08-06-2010, 12:52 AM
My list would be too long, but I've seen them all since 1955.I didn't start actually going to games that young, but even still, far too many for me to remember for certain. Hell, just go to a Sox/Yankees game in the fifties, and you had Aparicio, Fox, Minoso, Al Lopez, Berra, Mantle, Ford, Slaughter, Stengel (who did I miss?) I know, Rizzuto played in the fifties, but he retired before I could see him live.

LITTLE NELL
08-06-2010, 06:45 AM
I didn't start actually going to games that young, but even still, far too many for me to remember for certain. Hell, just go to a Sox/Yankees game in the fifties, and you had Aparicio, Fox, Minoso, Al Lopez, Berra, Mantle, Ford, Slaughter, Stengel (who did I miss?) I know, Rizzuto played in the fifties, but he retired before I could see him live.

Missed Early Wynn.
Minoso is not in the HOF but should be along with Pierce.

voodoochile
08-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Going of the list of yearly inductions here is an approximate list:

Dawson
Henderson
Gossage
Gwynn
Ripken
Sutter
Boggs
Sandburg
Eckersley
Ozzie Smith
Murray
Pucket
Winfield
Fisk
Seaver
Brett
Ryan
Schmidt
Carew
Billy Williams

For all I know the missing ones from the last 30 years I've seen to.