thomas35forever
08-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Good times.

hi im skot
08-04-2010, 10:02 PM
High-five!

JB98
That'll work. Wasn't the cleanest win ever, but who cares? Jackson and Thornton made key pitches to keep runs off the board.

LITTLE NELL
Another 1983 in the making!!!
(With better post season results)

johnnyg83
08-04-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm happy for him and me and us.

DonnieDarko
Good times indeed. Where's a smiley with a monocle when you need it?

Good win, though. Good win. Nice 1-2-3 by Jenks there to seal the game.

soltrain21
That made my day a little less miserable. Nice job, Edwin.

tony1972
More Good News..

Rays down 1 to 0 in 9th...get lead off double !! Go Rays !!!!

Moses_Scurry
Happy.

decolores9628
08-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Rays tie it up!

tony1972
Tampa ties it...blown save by Twins !!!!!:bandance:

OmahaSoxFan
Rays tie up the Twins in the bottom of the 9th....

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

munchman33
One of many.

Edwin threw a few mistakes, but his fastball is just so good that even hanging breaking balls can be mis-timed. That's what talent does for you. Imagine what he becomes if Coop gets through to him... :drool:

Scuzzy19
:bandance::bandance: awesome performance by Edwin 9 hits no runs! and one walk :o:

DonnieDarko
08-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Rays tie up the Twins in the bottom of the 9th....

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

wooooooooooo!

SoxSpeed22
08-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Good times indeed. Where's a smiley with a monocle when you need it?Will this do?
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/profile_images/77863/BenderMonocleDon.jpg
In all seriousness, Jackson has the stuff, and it will be scary if Coop and AJ can get him to this consistently. Carlos and Paulie provide the power, Thorny and Jenks nail it down. Good times.

OmahaSoxFan
08-04-2010, 10:06 PM
:bandance::bandance: awesome performance by Edwin 9 hits no runs! and one walk :o:

Yeah he did a good job scattering those 9 hits, and making the pitches he needed to make to get out of jams. I thought Ozzie managed this game well, and it was nice to see Thornton get those two big outs in the 8th to keep the Tigers from coming back.

All in all a great win, and further buries the Tigers back in the AL Central... now let's go Rays!

october23sp
That is a nice win. Can do no worse than split now.

munchman33

More than half of those hits were cheap.

tony1972
Will this do?
In all seriousness, Jackson has the stuff, and it will be scary if Coop and AJ can get him to this consistently. Carlos and Paulie provide the power, Thorny and Jenks nail it down. Good times.

Stop being positive !! we're Sox fans...let's find something to be mad about !!

I know THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A SHUTOUT...TRADE PUTZ NOW!!!!

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Sutcliffe had nice things to say about the adjustments Cooper already has made in Jackson's mechanics.

johnnyg83
08-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Sutcliffe had nice things to say about the adjustments Cooper already has made in Jackson's mechanics.

He had nice things to say about the Sox at the end.

DonnieDarko
08-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Will this do?

That works! :cool:

Harry Potter
08-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Welcome to the Southside Mr. Jackson :cool:

Hitmen77
08-04-2010, 10:10 PM
:bandance::gulp:
Obviously it's just one game, but Jackson's performance was very encouraging. Not only the only 1 run (scored after he left the game) but only 1 walk (the last hitter he faced).

It wasn't the cleanest outing by a pitcher, but he got out of jams and had a great K/BB ratio.

voodoochile
Stop being positive !! we're Sox fans...let's find something to be mad about !!

I know THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A SHUTOUT...TRADE PUTZ NOW!!!!

:rolling:

Nice job hitting the ball hard - something the Kittens failed to do tonight. Wonderful job taking walks - something the Kittens failed to do tonight. On a night when the defense early was suspect, Jackson did what he gets paid to do, kept the Kitten hitters off balance and induced a ton of popups and weak grounders and in the end that was the difference.

15 games over once again...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana:

Madvora
Coop'll fix em

DonnieDarko
I'm sorry, Mister Jackson.

This time, I'll think you're for real.

Sockinchisox
08-04-2010, 10:11 PM
I like this E-Jax fella as long as he throws strikes.

NDSox12
08-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Nice outing by Edwin. Yeah, he gave up some hits, but the one walk (last batter he faced) is the key stat for me. Well done!

WhiteSox1989
08-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Sox win, I'm a happy gal.

Not much else to say.

And oh, go Rays!

Nelfox02
08-04-2010, 10:12 PM
solid start, some early trouble, then that error, and he made a mistake to Cabrera......but sometimes you get lucky and that time fortune smiled at us for a change.

after the error inning and the cabrera at bat I though he pitched very well, only 1 walk in the end when he was out of gas, he mixed up the pitches, very positive start to his Sox tenure

nice job Edwin

good job by our hitters today to get some knocks against a mediocre pitcher IMO

tony1972
08-04-2010, 10:14 PM
I hope the Rays and Twins go 20 innings (with Rays winning in the bottom of the 20th) and the arms fall off the Twins pitchers when the game is over.

Craig Grebeck
08-04-2010, 10:14 PM
One of many.

Edwin threw a few mistakes, but his fastball is just so good that even hanging breaking balls can be mis-timed. That's what talent does for you. Imagine what he becomes if Coop gets through to him... :drool:
I'm curious what you make of his fastball value according to fangraphs, Munch. Honest question.

Boondock Saint
08-04-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm sorry, Mister Jackson.

This time, I'll think you're for real.

:thumbsup:

voodoochile
Just a reminder to please not turn this into a discussion of the Twinkies' game. We have a thread for that and I think you know where it is.

NoShoesJoe
Ed...WIN!!!!

Frankfan4life
08-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Congratulations EJ (if I may call you that or would you prefer "Player of the Game") on your first Sox victory! :bandance:

GoGoCrede
08-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Knew you had it in you, Edwin! Welcome to the Southside!

DonnieDarko
:thumbsup:

LOL, I was wondering if anyone would get that one. :smile:

Tragg
Good win.

Jackson gave up some hits - maybe they were cheap, I don't know; but he had 6Ks and only 1 walk.

Pablo_Honey
08-04-2010, 10:19 PM
I liked Edwin's composure on the mound. He remained unphased by errors and pesky hits. He threw strikes, got strikeouts and went distance. I would have never expected for him to do that, and I'm happy to admit that I've been proven wrong...for one game at least :tongue: If I have to pick on something just for the sake of being negative, I wish struck out more guys with a stuff that good.

sullythered
08-04-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm curious what you make of his fastball value according to fangraphs, Munch. Honest question.

Are you talking about velocity? Because fangraphs has him averaging among the very tops of the league.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Giant set of balls displayed by Edwin tonight in making his White Sox debut against his former team.

It's time to move Beckham out of the nine hole.

october23sp
08-04-2010, 10:22 PM
TCQ had a bomb tastic homer.

Frankfan4life
Ed...WIN!!!!Nice!

LoveYourSuit
One of many.

No question. At 26, there is something special in that arm. People here reacted as if we just traded for Jeff Weaver :rolleyes:

Nelfox02
08-04-2010, 10:24 PM
I liked Edwin's composure on the mound. He remained unphased by errors and pesky hits. He threw strikes, got strikeouts and went distance. I would have never expected for him to do that, and I'm happy to admit that I've been proven wrong...for one game at least :tongue: If I have to pick on something just for the sake of being negative, I wish struck out more guys with a stuff that good.

Agree----I thought after that error to put 2 on with none down in front of Cabrera he might be in serious trouble.....he did make a mistake but got away with it and after that really bore down and made some pitches......well done

LITTLE NELL
08-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Here's hoping Edwin has finally found a home.

DonnieDarko
08-04-2010, 10:25 PM
It's time to move Beckham out of the nine hole.

And move him where?

Pablo_Honey
08-04-2010, 10:27 PM
And move him where?
Out of this town for more 26 year olds with electric stuff just so the elitist snobs get their ****s and giggles, saying every trade turned out in favour of the Sox.

sullythered
And move him where?

Flip flop him and Kotsay when Kotsay plays.

OmahaSoxFan

This

DonnieDarko
08-04-2010, 10:28 PM

Agreed.

sullythered
Out of this town for more 26 year olds with electric stuff just so the elitist snobs get their ****s and giggles, saying every trade turned out in favour of the Sox.

That's kind of an odd dig considering the result of tonight's game.

ElevenUp
Apparently Coop has fixed him!:bandance::gulp::bandance::gulp:

Pablo_Honey
08-04-2010, 10:29 PM
That's kind of an odd dig considering the result of tonight's game.
Hudson pitches well: "It's only one game."
Jackson pitches well: "I WAS RIGHT YOU NOOBS!"

Look, I'm happy Jackson did well but if Jackson tanked, it would've been rather quiet here.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-04-2010, 10:31 PM
And move him where?

Rios, Konerko, Quentin, Beckham/Ramirez works for me - so sixth or seventh

21stcenturySox
08-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Edwin Jackson wins his debut!

Sox in first place in August!

Bobby looking like nailz!

Laissez les bons temps rouler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQc5NHacb9o

:bandance: :bandance:

konerko 14
08-04-2010, 10:34 PM
pretty nice debut for Edwin, Go Tampa Bay!

voodoochile
08-04-2010, 10:35 PM

Bitter much?

SCCWS
08-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Kudos to AJ as well for putting in extra time w Edmin leading up to start and handling him tonight

voodoochile
08-04-2010, 10:37 PM

Look, I'm happy Jackson did well but if Jackson tanked, it would've been rather quiet here.

:?:

:hawk
"Your what hurts?"

This thread would already be 4 pages long on my settings instead of 1.5 and would be filled with the blackest venom you can imagine. The only person who would be happy would be Mark Kotsay because there'd be a new worst person in the history of the world for the next week.

tony1972
08-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Sox win! and I just saved money on my car insurance (you thought I meant Geico didn't you...? wrong Progressive !! Flo helped me create my 'Tony' policy....)

Pablo_Honey
08-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Bitter much?
Bitter that Jackson pitched well? Nope. He pitched well, we won thanks to him. If I were bitter about that, I should really question myself as a Sox fan.

Bitter that some people are coming in here and being all "I told you so" and implying people were being drama queens? Yup. No need to rub it in. It's only one start. I am happy. Don't **** on my cloud. That's all I'm saying.

JB98
08-04-2010, 10:41 PM

Nonsense. If Jackson had pitched poorly, this thread would already be 15 pages long. The people who did not like the deal would be enraged.

voodoochile
08-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Bitter that Jackson pitched well? Nope. He pitched well, we won thanks to him. If I were bitter about that, I should really question myself as a Sox fan.

Bitter that some people are coming in here and being all "I told you so" and implying people were being drama queens? Yup. No need to rub it in. It's only one start. I am happy. Don't **** on my cloud. That's all I'm saying.

Okay... feel free to read past the people who are happy about the results, but don't kid yourself about what would have happened if the opposite had occurred. This is mild compared to what the dark clouds would have wreaked on this site.

KW, Edwin, JR. It would have been open season on management and the bile would have melted the screen of anyone daring to read it. If you doubt for one second I am saying not just my opinion but a raw and undeniable fact, you need to go back and read some threads from May or even the 1200+ posts devoted to the Jackson trade prior to tonight.

sullythered
08-04-2010, 10:42 PM

I really don't see any of that. I just saw some people pumped that the guy looked good in his debut.

chisoxfanatic
What a bomb by TCQ!!!

Now, c'mon, Rays!!!

voodoochile
Nonsense. If Jackson had pitched poorly, this thread would already be 15 pages long. The people who did not like the deal would be enraged.

Well that's an optimistic viewpoint...:tongue:

hi im skot
08-04-2010, 10:43 PM

Someone needs a hug.

voodoochile
08-04-2010, 10:44 PM
I really don't see any of that. I just saw some people pumped that the guy looked good in his debut.

Don't worry, it's a typical dark cloud reaction when they are wrong. Vent for 1000's of posts before anything actually happens then scream they are being oppressed when the opposite occurs, say they are happy with the results and hold out an olive branch. Of course if Jackson loses his next outing all bets are off again...

Harry Potter
08-04-2010, 10:46 PM
What a bomb by TCQ!!!!

Poof!!!

Pablo_Honey
08-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Okay... feel free to read past the people who are happy about the results, but don't kid yourself about what would have happened if the opposite had occurred. This is mild compared to what the dark clouds would have wreaked on this site.

KW, Edwin, JR. It would have been open season on management and the bile would have melted the screen of anyone daring to read it. If you doubt for one second I am saying not just my opinion but a raw and undeniable fact, you need to go back and read some threads from May or even the 1200+ posts devoted to the Jackson trade prior to tonight.
Sorry that I'm being the dark cloud here. I get irritated really easily, especially when someone acts all high and mighty, so I was getting ticked off. I meant to say, people who defended the move would have been quiet, but there are people who defended the move in a rational way so I didn't want to include them. I realize now how stupid my sentence sounds - it definitely would've been filled with a lengthy amount of posts about how Kenny ****ed up. It might have been ban worthy, so if it were, feel free to.

hi im skot
08-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Sorry that I'm being the dark cloud here. I get irritated really easily, especially when someone acts all high and mighty, so I was getting ticked off.

:rolling:

sullythered
08-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Sorry that I'm being the dark cloud here. I get irritated really easily, especially when someone acts all high and mighty, so I was getting ticked off. I meant to say, people who defended the move would have been quiet, but there are people who defended the move in a rational way so I didn't want to include them. I realize now how stupid my sentence sounds - it definitely would've been filled with a lengthy amount of posts about how Kenny ****ed up. It might have been ban worthy, so if it were, feel free to.

Color me suspicious that your statements were directed at one (controversy prone) poster here at WSI...:cool:

WhiteSox1989
08-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Yooo, Sox won, Jackson pitched well, fans have the right to be..uh..happy and excited. It's not a big deal.

voodoochile
08-04-2010, 10:50 PM

Actually, no I found your post to be unintentional comedy and I love unintentional comedy...:D:

Sol good...

Hey, did you here?

LoveYourSuit
08-04-2010, 10:51 PM

The Jackson trade thread created about 1,000 posts mostly of absolute garbage reaction by us Sox fans.

It was as if we had traded for Jeff Weaver.

Give the trade time. That's all. Just like Hudson the other day, one outing isn't a season or career.

Pablo_Honey
08-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Color me suspicious that your statements were directed at one (controversy prone) poster here at WSI...:cool:
Erm, surprisingly no. It was someone else, but you know what, let's just let it go because Sox won another game fair and square :smile:

Pablo_Honey
08-04-2010, 10:55 PM

Actually, no I found your post to be unintentional comedy and I love unintentional comedy...:D:

Sol good...

Hey, did you here?

Ha, I agree. And thanks for being cool with it. I'll be careful next time.

The Jackson trade thread created about 1,000 posts mostly of absolute garbage reaction by us Sox fans.

It was as if we had traded for Jeff Weaver.

Give the trade time. That's all. Just like Hudson the other day, one outing isn't a season or career.
Yeah, I understand what you are saying. I blame my short fuse and perfectionist mindset. Excuses, I know but that's all I can say.

sullythered
08-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Erm, surprisingly no. It was someone else, but you know what, let's just let it go because Sox won another game fair and square :smile:
:thumbsup: You got it, Kemosabe.

Although I think it's hilarious that you know exactly to whom I was referring, despite my being wrong.:D:

russ99
08-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Good deal, Sox win! Back up to 15 over. Nice job by Edwin, shows some promise.

Let's beat Detroit tomorrow. Maybe we'll get to see Sale pitch.

Hope we see a good effort in one of those dreaded weekday getaway games, we need to kick the Tigers when they're down.

soxlady8
08-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Great Win. Edwin looked pretty good in his first appearance in a Sox uniform. The Kitties are being pushed back further and further in the Central. Life is Good.

TDog
08-04-2010, 11:02 PM

Fact is, Husdon did pitch well in only one game. Against the Mariners. Twice he gave up four runs in five innings of work.

It wasn't like this was even the best game (fewest runs, hits, longest outing) that Jackson has pitched in the majors this year. There is more reason to be optimistic about Jackson than there was about Hudson. People have long believed he could be a very good pitcher with his stuff.

Of course, the list of people that could be said of is long and includes Jesse Jefferson and Todd Ritchie. But there is a difference between Edwin Jackson pitching well in his White Sox debut against his former team and Lucas Harrell having a great debut against a team that had never faced him or even scouted him.

Jackson is definitely an upgrade over the minor leaguers the Sox have been running out there to fill the Peavy void. Two of the last three losses by the Sox were by minor league callups who gave up four runs in the second inning. I was confident that the White Sox would win tonight when they had a 1-0 lead going into the third.

slavko
08-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Edwin Jackson wins his debut!

Sox in first place in August!

Bobby looking like nailz!

Laissez les bons temps rouler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQc5NHacb9o

I've seen Bobby better. Did get one nice curve over, otherwise couldn't control it. Putz, whom I've been raving about, is in a funk his last 3 outings. Get fixed, JJ, fast please; we need you. I was worried about Jackson, but breathing easy now. Ah, the beauty of no walks.

LoveYourSuit
08-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Fact is, Husdon did pitch well in only one game. Against the Mariners. Twice he gave up four runs in five innings of work.

It wasn't like this was even the best game (fewest runs, hits, longest outing) that Jackson has pitched in the majors this year. There is more reason to be optimistic about Jackson than there was about Hudson. People have long believed he could be a very good pitcher with his stuff.

Of course, the list of people that could be said of is long and includes Jesse Jefferson and Todd Ritchie. But there is a difference between Edwin Jackson pitching well in his White Sox debut against his former team and Lucas Harrell having a great debut against a team that had never faced him or even scouted him.

Jackson is definitely an upgrade over the minor leaguers the Sox have been running out there to fill the Peavy void. Two of the last three losses by the Sox were by minor league callups who gave up four runs in the second inning. I was confident that the White Sox would win tonight when they had a 1-0 lead going into the third.

Hit the nail on the head.

He's only 26 and has a $1 million arm.

soltrain21
08-04-2010, 11:21 PM

That's a pretty cheap arm.

sullythered
08-04-2010, 11:29 PM
That's a pretty cheap arm.

For just the arm? I'd say that pretty expensive.

canOcorn
08-04-2010, 11:44 PM

$8M arm and, outside the majority of his career, a $.02 philosophy.

He pitched okay against a ****ty ****ing lineup. Can we hold off crowning his ass? I'm happy we won, but he pitched on 6 days rest, with decent results, against a crappy offensive team.

Hey, I'll deal with this same offense the rest of the season and next if he can produce 7 IP and 1 ER. He pitched on 6 days rest against a crappy lineup. Hopefully he can keep those walks down for the rest of the season.

hawkjt
08-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Whatever that arm is valued at, there is no doubt that it is the most powerful arm in our rotation. He can throw the ball right by batters.
As Mitch Williams said tonite on MLBNetwork
'' pitchers will always give up hits,but the key is which pitchers can bear down and throw a big pitch when they need it to get that third out like Jackson tonite''

Jackson has a good record vs the Tigers and will face them again next week and later in the year. If he can handle them,he will help us greatly.
His record the last three years vs AL teams not named Sox? 29-13. If he throws strikes,he can help us the rest of the way.

PK and Carlos just took care of it on the offense tonite. Alex has a little funk he is going thru so we need a knew guy to step up..I nominate Carlos.

Domeshot17
08-04-2010, 11:50 PM
This is one of those games where you just thank the baseball god's for being on your side and enjoy the win. Jackson threw a game that could easily have been a shutout or easily have given up 4 or 5 ER.

Jackson gave up a ton of hits but only 1 ER, Kotsay got a hit, thank you baseball god's.

sullythered
08-04-2010, 11:51 PM

He pitched okay against a ****ty ****ing lineup. Can we hold off crowning his ass? I'm happy we won, but he pitched on 6 days rest, with decent results, against a crappy offensive team.

Hey, I'll deal with this same offense the rest of the season and next if he can produce 7 IP and 1 ER. He pitched on 6 days rest against a crappy lineup. Hopefully he can keep those walks down for the rest of the season.

Brought to you, in part, by the Department of Redundancy Department.

JB98
08-05-2010, 12:00 AM
This is one of those games where you just thank the baseball god's for being on your side and enjoy the win. Jackson threw a game that could easily have been a shutout or easily have given up 4 or 5 ER.

Jackson gave up a ton of hits but only 1 ER, Kotsay got a hit, thank you baseball god's.

They were all singles, though. That's a plus.

ZombieRob
08-05-2010, 12:06 AM
M.B is a Pitcher that gives up a lot of hits. Some Pitchers are like that, and Jackson has the arm to pitch over that.

FielderJones
08-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Meanwhile, Bobby has gone three consecutive games without allowing a baserunner.

Great job by Jackson, Thornton, and Jenks. Putz, not so much. But any day that's a White Sox Winner is a good day.

GoGoCrede
08-05-2010, 12:16 AM
Meanwhile, Bobby has gone three consecutive games without allowing a baserunner.

Great job by Jackson, Thornton, and Jenks. Putz, not so much. But any day that's a White Sox Winner is a good day.

Yep. As long as we take care of business, we don't even need to scoreboard watch (though I do anyway!).

gogosox675
08-05-2010, 12:19 AM
Don't stop now, boys!! :D:

AlexRios51
08-05-2010, 12:24 AM
I hope EJ proves the naysayers wrong, it's not as if he's a rookie or something he's a veteran with good stuff. We all know what he's capable of yet he's not getting the benefit of the doubt. Yes he will have a few bad starts, but more likely he'll have more good ones than bad. GO EJ!!!

ZombieRob
08-05-2010, 12:30 AM
IMO, even if he has a "bad" day, he has the arm to keep the game within range.

chisoxfanatic
08-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Don't stop now, boys!! :D:
Hawk has used that phrase way too much.

UofCSoxFan
08-05-2010, 12:39 AM
Good win....the 4 innings I saw before they closed the one restaurant in the Columbus Airport made a miserable travel day better.

I can't say I'm suprised a small majority of people still are unhappy with the performance....I'll take a pitcher giving up 9 singles over 7 innings with 1 walk any day. You are going to win the majority of those games. Single won't kill you, espeically if you don't walk people...if they did KC would actually be good. Detroit may not be the most potent lineup in the league but they aren't awful either. The team up to 2 weeks ago was in the running for the division. They are getting some guys back in Damon and Inge, have the a triple crown candidate at 1B and have some good average hitters in Bosch and Jackson. This isn't a triple A team.

I find it funny tht the same people wanting to downplay Jackson't start saying "it's only one performance" would be the same people saying "see I told you so" if Jackson had a bad outing.

thomas35forever
08-05-2010, 12:42 AM
M.B is a Pitcher that gives up a lot of hits. Some Pitchers are like that, and Jackson has the arm to pitch over that.
Mark also has a tendency to give up runs early on before settling in.

october23sp
08-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Jackson will be a solid back end rotation guy, which is exactly what we need down the stretch.

Whitesox029
08-05-2010, 01:03 AM
Good win.

Jackson gave up some hits - maybe they were cheap, I don't know; but he had 6Ks and only 1 walk.
Easily the most encouraging thing about tonight was his giving up only one walk over 7 innings.

voodoochile
08-05-2010, 01:10 AM

Isn't his game actually a testament to the sabremetric model?

His BAA wasn't very good, but his OBPA and SlgA were excellent. In fact his BABIPA was probably bad too, but in reality he didn't give up any really hard hit balls and a few of the hits were definitely flukish. Plus he got no help from his defense early in the game. I don't think it's so much we got lucky not to give up a lot of runs, but that he was unlucky to give up so many singles because he had guys popping up and grounding out all night long and a few of them just found holes.

I keep hearing about how batting average is a bad stat compared to the other ones. Well tonight the only part of his line that was bad was the BAA. So which is it? Did he have a good night and get unlucky or have a bad night and get lucky? I think the former and I believe the stats bear that out.

oeo
08-05-2010, 01:10 AM

He threw strikes, which is what's so encouraging. If they can get him to continue doing that and he can garner some consistency with his slider, he's going to be successful.

It was only one start, which means absolutely nothing, but the Sox apparently got to him telling to throw the ball over the plate. Being ahead in the count all the time = very good. Only one time did a count reach 3 balls, and that was on his walk to the last guy he saw. Very, very encouraging first start. Could do without the hanging sliders, but again, that's going to be the key, can the Sox get him to a point where it's automatic? When Gavin first came in, he was as inconsistent with his curve as Edwin is with his slider.

markopat
08-05-2010, 01:22 AM
I enjoyed the win...All of our pitchers threw hard today....Even the Tiggs announcers on XM were talking about how hard we throw....I like the win!

Foulke You
08-05-2010, 01:27 AM
He threw strikes, which is what's so encouraging. If they can get him to continue doing that and he can garner some consistency with his slider, he's going to be successful.

It was only one start, which means absolutely nothing, but the Sox apparently got to him telling to throw the ball over the plate. Being ahead in the count all the time = very good. Only one time did a count reach 3 balls, and that was on his walk to the last guy he saw. Very, very encouraging first start. Could do without the hanging sliders, but again, that's going to be the key, can the Sox get him to a point where it's automatic? When Gavin first came in, he was as inconsistent with his curve as Edwin is with his slider.
This is pretty much how I felt about his outing too. Edwin's fastball is very impressive as we all know. If he ever gets full command of that slider and learns to spot that changeup more often, he could have 20 win stuff. Of course, that is a big if. Assuming he never gets better than he is right now, he makes a very solid #5 starter even if he is just bringing the heat. Edwin's composure on the mound was that of a veteran (which he is) and Hudson just wasn't there yet. In the heat of a pennant race, based on what I saw tonight, I'm glad we have Edwin Jackson.

Foulke You
08-05-2010, 01:29 AM
What a bomb by TCQ!!!

That ball was out of the park in about 0.045 seconds. I hope the fans in LF got out of the way of that missile.

Nellie_Fox
08-05-2010, 01:45 AM
Meanwhile, Bobby has gone three consecutive games without allowing a baserunner.Adkins diet. Lost a lot of weight in a hurry.

DonnieDarko
08-05-2010, 01:54 AM
This is pretty much how I felt about his outing too. Edwin's fastball is very impressive as we all know. If he ever gets full command of that slider and learns to spot that changeup more often, he could have 20 win stuff. Of course, that is a big if. Assuming he never gets better than he is right now, he makes a very solid #5 starter even if he is just bringing the heat. Edwin's composure on the mound was that of a veteran (which he is) and Hudson just wasn't there yet. In the heat of a pennant race, based on what I saw tonight, I'm glad we have Edwin Jackson.

He's got a changeup? Since when?

LoveYourSuit
08-05-2010, 02:13 AM
He's got a changeup? Since when?

Every pitcher has a changeup, all you need to do is take speed of your FB.

You don't need a 6th finger to change speeds.

voodoochile
08-05-2010, 02:23 AM
Every pitcher has a changeup, all you need to do is take speed of your FB.

You don't need a 6th finger to change speeds.

Yeah, but the trick is to do it and not show the change of speed before you release it. That's tough to do. You can't slow down your arm and you still need it to be close enough to the strike zone to get people swinging at it. Being able to throw it for a strike occasionally is good to because it keeps the batters from sitting on the fastball. All of that is not as easy as it sounds that's why there are specific grips pitchers use to throw a change up - the mot common of which is the circle change where the thumb and index finger form a circle on the ball (as I understand it though how the stitches and other stuff come into play is beyond me).

Simply throwing slower normally means winding up slower, striding shorter, slowing down your arm speed or other things which would be dead giveaways to a professional hitter.

I don't know if Jackson has a changeup or not, but it's not as simple as you make it sound. Guys like Buehrle are craftsmen with their change and they do a lot more than simply "throwing slower".

guillensdisciple
08-05-2010, 03:01 AM
Loved the win today.

Jackson has some serious talent that needs to be unlocked. I think he came to the right organization to right his ways. Lets see what Coop can do- I am stoked to see him be our fifth starter next year with Peavy back in the rotation. Imagine if we hit his full potential, we would be truly deadly- and Sale would be waiting in the minors.

Rios needs to get out of his funk, and I wish Quentin could hit a little more, but am not complaining because he hits when it matters. Paulie is great and has been great for us this entire year. A.J definitely needs to play a little better as a hitter.

Not much to complain about, 15 games over 1.5 games up, win tomorrow and walk out of Detroit with a probable 2.5 game lead. I don't think Minnesota will split the series.

happydude
08-05-2010, 03:07 AM
Good win....the 4 innings I saw before they closed the one restaurant in the Columbus Airport made a miserable travel day better.

I can't say I'm suprised a small majority of people still are unhappy with the performance....I'll take a pitcher giving up 9 singles over 7 innings with 1 walk any day. You are going to win the majority of those games. Single won't kill you, espeically if you don't walk people...if they did KC would actually be good. Detroit may not be the most potent lineup in the league but they aren't awful either. The team up to 2 weeks ago was in the running for the division. They are getting some guys back in Damon and Inge, have the a triple crown candidate at 1B and have some good average hitters in Bosch and Jackson. This isn't a triple A team.

I find it funny tht the same people wanting to downplay Jackson't start saying "it's only one performance" would be the same people saying "see I told you so" if Jackson had a bad outing.

Sadly, you're probably correct. Unfortunately, many of us are so heavily identified with our opinions that we'd rather be "right" than be compelled by developing circumstances to reconsider those opinions; even if its at the expense of the team we profess to love.

That being said, the decision to acquire Jackson could neither be validated nor invalidated by tonight's performance no matter how well or poorly he pitched. Let's see what aid Coooper can lend him and how he responds to it over his next several starts. Its imperative to have some consistency in that slot given the necessity of a strong bullpen during the final push and, hopefully, playoffs.

LuzinskiFan
08-05-2010, 06:31 AM
Coop = Genius of all pitching coaches

October26
08-05-2010, 07:32 AM
I love the energy with which this White Sox team is playing right now. It really is a pleasure to watch games and see good baseball (hitting, running, pitching, and defense) day in and day out (for the most part anyways).

Glad to see Edwin Jackson win his first game with the Sox last night. Welcome to the Southside, Edwin! :D:

Don't stop now, boys - Go Sox!

hawkjt
08-05-2010, 07:40 AM
I was surprised when Ozzie sent Edwin out in the 8th. After the game Ozzie took the blame for that. He said he went against their plan,and let him go out in the 8th,even after sitting for 20 minutes,while the Sox batted in the top of the inning. That walk he gave up was the only guy to score...walks score,it seems,more than singles,for some reason.

Bottom line,if Ozzie sticks to the plan,Edwin gets out without a run or a walk. It was a big outing for Jackson,who had to feel a lot of pressure coming into a pennant race from playing out the string in Az. Remember Alex last year? Could not adjust. Good news? Edwin is from Columbus,Georgia,and we got Georgia guys like Gordo,and Walk around the clubhouse, to talk bulldawg football. Settle in Edwin!

spawn
08-05-2010, 08:17 AM

:hawk
Your what hurts?

Why am I not surprised by this post? :rolling:

hawkjt
08-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Don't look now,but the Sox are only one game behind the Rangers.
If the Sox win their division and finish ahead of the Rangers,they would get the wildcard ...would they have home field edge in the first series if that happened,even if the Rays/Yanks have a better record as a wildcard winner?

sox1970
08-05-2010, 10:27 AM
If the Sox win their division and finish ahead of the Rangers,they would get the wildcard ...would they have home field edge in the first series if that happened,even if the Rays/Yanks have a better record as a wildcard winner?

The wildcard winner is the 4 seed. The AL wildcard winner won't have home field advantage this year in any series.

jdm2662
08-05-2010, 10:27 AM

A division winner playing the wild card would have home field, yes.

doublem23
08-05-2010, 10:29 AM

Yes.

The only time the Wild Card can have homefield advantage in the playoffs is if it reaches the World Series and represents the league that won the All-Star Game.