PDA

View Full Version : 25 Years Ago Today: Tom Seaver wins #300

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2010, 08:56 PM
I can't believe it was that long ago!

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=198508040NYA

SaltyPretzel
08-04-2010, 09:01 PM
I was at that game. We were visiting my aunt and uncle in Long Island and went to the game a few days earlier (the Carlton Fisk double-tag game) and the stadium was half empty, so my parents figured we wouldn't have trouble finding a ticket. Big mistake. Fortunately, we were able to get tickets in the very last row of the upper deck. What a great game! Harold made a HUGE catch in the right field corner, crashing into the wall.

LongLiveFisk
08-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Very cool! I remember watching that game on tv. Hard to believe it was 25 years ago. That means it has also been 25 years since I started high school.

Yikes. :o:

Great memories though. :D: :gulp:

Lip Man 1
08-05-2010, 02:19 AM
August 4, 1985 - On the same day Rod Carew got his 3,000th hit in Anaheim, Sox pitcher Tom Seaver wins his 300th career game. Seaver beats the Yankees 4 - 1. He gets late inning defensive help when Harold Baines climbs the right field wall to rob Dave Winfield of an extra base hit with men on base. Seaver retired Don Baylor, on a fly to left for the final out of the game. The ball was caught by Reid Nichols.

Lip

RadioheadRocks
08-05-2010, 02:29 AM
Still have that game on VHS, haven't watched it in a long time. Aside from Seaver's moment, this was an interesting game where LaRussa gets in an intense argument with an umpire and there's a great closeup of Billy Martin in the dugout after his pitcher gives up a walk (you don't have to be an expert lip reader to see him say "son of a ****ing bitch!").

wilburaga
08-05-2010, 06:55 AM
I was at that game. We were visiting my aunt and uncle in Long Island and went to the game a few days earlier (the Carlton Fisk double-tag game) and the stadium was half empty, so my parents figured we wouldn't have trouble finding a ticket. Big mistake. Fortunately, we were able to get tickets in the very last row of the upper deck. What a great game! Harold made a HUGE catch in the right field corner, crashing into the wall.

Salty:

I was there too. And, as I discovered watching a tape of the game on MLB last month, so was Richard Nixon.

stl_sox_fan
08-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Sheesh, 25 years ago? I remember listening to that game as a child boating with my parents on the Illinois River.

RadioheadRocks
08-05-2010, 05:56 PM
The Yankees also retired Phil Rizzuto's number during pregame festivities at that game.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-06-2010, 03:31 PM
The Yankees also retired Phil Rizzuto's number during pregame festivities at that game.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7221075

That's when the holy cow knocked him over. :tongue:

PatK
08-06-2010, 03:54 PM
I was at hockey camp and couldn't watch/listen to the game

Noneck
08-06-2010, 11:21 PM
I didnt care then and it is still not memorable to me today.

Nellie_Fox
08-06-2010, 11:49 PM
I didnt care then and it is still not memorable to me today.I didn't either. It's not like he's thought of as a White Sox pitcher.

RCWHITESOX
08-07-2010, 12:23 AM
I didn't either. It's not like he's thought of as a White Sox pitcher.

Well he may not be thought as a White Sox pitcher but it still was a amazing accomplishment for a classy guy. Back then records broken meant something .

Noneck
08-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Back then records broken meant something .

What record did he break?

RadioheadRocks
08-07-2010, 12:31 AM
What record did he break?

Well not actually broke a record, but met a significant milestone.

Back then milestones meant something.

Nellie_Fox
08-07-2010, 12:33 AM
Well he may not be thought as a White Sox pitcher but it still was a amazing accomplishment for a classy guy.Okay, but I don't see it as really having much at all to do with the White Sox. It's like if Thome gets #600 in a Twins uniform. Is that something for Twins fans to be talking about 25 years later?

TommyJohn
08-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Okay, but I don't see it as really having much at all to do with the White Sox. It's like if Thome gets #600 in a Twins uniform. Is that something for Twins fans to be talking about 25 years later?I feel the same way. It was fun to watch and nice that he did it with the White Sox, but it isn't like he won the majority of those 300 games with them. I felt the same way when Thome hit his 500th with the White Sox. Great, it was fun, but he isn't a team legend. Now if Frank Thomas had hit his 500th in a White Sox uniform, that would've meant something.

EastCoastSoxFan
08-08-2010, 11:06 PM
One of the better calls of Hawk's early television career:
"Nichols camps underneath it.....HISTORY!"

Much better and more professional than that screaming call at the end of Buehrle's perfect game.

Nellie_Fox
08-09-2010, 12:55 AM
One of the better calls of Hawk's early television career:
"Nichols camps underneath it.....HISTORY!"

Much better and more professional than that screaming call at the end of Buehrle's perfect game.Probably because he was more excited at the end of Buehrle's perfecto.