PDA

View Full Version : Torii Hunter Moving to RF Permanently

PaleHoser
08-04-2010, 03:43 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/End-of-an-era-Angels-move-Torii-Hunter-to-right?urn=mlb-260080

I'm a fan of Torii Hunter, but wasn't too broken up when he jilted the Sox and signed with the Angels. I thought the Sox offer was more than fair and that the Angels overpaid.

The last two years of that contract is going to kill them. They owe Hunter $18M per year guaranteed through 2012, and he'll be 37 when the contract expires.

The rookie has some big shoes to fill.

Foulke You
08-04-2010, 03:50 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/End-of-an-era-Angels-move-Torii-Hunter-to-right?urn=mlb-260080

I'm a fan of Torii Hunter, but wasn't too broken up when he jilted the Sox and signed with the Angels. I thought the Sox offer was more than fair and that the Angels overpaid.

The last two years of that contract is going to kill them. They owe Hunter $18M per year guaranteed through 2012, and he'll be 37 when the contract expires.

The rookie has some big shoes to fill.
No doubt the Angels overpaid. Torii is still productive but as many predicted when he received that bloated contract from Anaheim, he is beginning to slow down. The Sox offered $14 million per for 4 years so he would have been entering his final year in 2011. The Angels are on the hook for $18 million per for a further two seasons. This is why you don't invest huge long term deals of 5 or more years in a guy who is 32 years old. Although, this contract is nothing compared to the 8 year deal the Cubs gave the 32 year old Soriano. Now THAT was insane.

asindc
08-04-2010, 04:03 PM
LAAAAA is also on the hook for Abreu's absurd contract. Sometimes being overbid is the best thing to happen to a club. I was only mildly disappointed when I saw what LAAAAA paid to Hunter. You want him that badly, you can have him.

All that said, good for Hunter for being a team player. After all, he certainly has been guaranteed a lot of incentive to do so.

areilly
08-04-2010, 05:09 PM

You can't really blame Hunter for what LAA was willing to spend though.