PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Sox Schedule News

Lip Man 1
08-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Just returned from eight days in Chicago visiting family, friends, my old high school and of course the White Sox.

If this is "old news" I apologize.

Spoke with some members of the front office and was told the 2011 schedule is about set. There are still some things to be worked out but they are minor in nature.

The "highlights":

* Season opens April 1st at Cleveland.
* The home opener is April 7th against Tampa Bay.
* Unfortunately the Sox are stuck with a number of April home games again (which probably means bad weather and smaller attendance)
* The Dodgers, Cubs and Nationals come to Chicago for interleague play. (first time the Washington franchise will play in Chicago against the Sox since 1971)
* The Sox go to the Cubs, Arizona and either San Diego or San Francisco for the road portion of interleague play.
* The season will end next year in the middle of the week, with the post season starting that weekend as MLB tries to eliminate off days in the post season and stop looking foolish for potentially playing games in cold weather cities in November.

Lip

Scottiehaswheels
08-04-2010, 01:54 PM
I don't believe the inter-league portion of this. No Pittsburgh for the first time in 5 years?

delben91
08-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Here's hoping for San Diego.

08-04-2010, 02:00 PM
* The Sox go to the Cubs, Arizona and either San Diego or San Francisco for the road portion of interleague play.

Lip

Please San Diego! They did SF back in 07 or 08. White Sox came to San Diego in 2005. I came down here from when I was living in San Francisco and got to see Hermanson blow the save for a Padres walkoff.:cool:

Harry Potter
08-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Here's hoping for mid-week premium pricing vs. the Dodgers and cheap knockoffs of the 1959 uniforms...again

aryzner
08-04-2010, 02:04 PM
* The season will end next year in the middle of the week, with the post season starting that weekend as MLB tries to eliminate off days in the post season and stop looking foolish for potentially playing games in cold weather cities in November.
Excellent.

ClutchHarold#3
08-04-2010, 02:07 PM
:?: So the season opener is on a Friday and the home opener is on a Thursday?

peelwonder
08-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Did indeed see you get a shout out from both Cowley and Gonzales on their tweets...

Lip Man 1
08-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Clutch:

I'm only repeating the information that I was told. The schedule could look very different day-wise since MLB intends to end the season during the middle of the week.

And for years MLB opened the season on days other than Monday and the home openers that I recall came on different days too.

Lip

Coops4Aces
08-04-2010, 02:16 PM

Yup, they want to guarantee the World Series doesn't end in November.

ClutchHarold#3
08-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Just thought that was a little unusual, but maybe they need to do it that way given how they are switching around the schedule at the end of the season.

doublem23
08-04-2010, 02:22 PM

Yeah, this was reported a while ago, MLB is shifting their schedule so the season starts on a weekend and ends in the middle of the week, this way the playoffs start on a weekend.

Zakath
08-04-2010, 02:29 PM
I'll be interested to see if the Sox get to play at home on either Memorial Day, July 4, or Labor Day. Seems like forever since the Sox played a home game on one of those days.

Hitmen77
08-04-2010, 02:34 PM
I don't believe the inter-league portion of this. No Pittsburgh for the first time in 5 years?

Maybe Washington is the new Pittsburgh for us.

kevingrt
08-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Maybe a Strasburg sighting in Chicago. That would be cool. Playing the NL West will probably be a little more difficult then playing the NL Central next year.

fox23
08-04-2010, 02:42 PM
I'll be interested to see if the Sox get to play at home on either Memorial Day, July 4, or Labor Day. Seems like forever since the Sox played a home game on one of those days.

Didn't we play Boston on Labor Day last year?

LoveYourSuit
08-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Dodgers again = boring

Nationals if Strasburg's arm fell off by then = boring

TB for the opener will be exciting.

doublem23
08-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Didn't we play Boston on Labor Day last year?

Yeah, we were home on Jul 4 in 2008 and 2007, too.

BigHurt3515
08-04-2010, 02:47 PM
No St. Louis again!! Ahhhh. This sucks

Coops4Aces
08-04-2010, 02:47 PM
I thought the Sox didn't like playing at home on holidays. Attendance sucks those days.

LITTLE NELL
08-04-2010, 02:49 PM

Holidays and Baseball are not the same anymore, some teams don't even schedule home games on holidays anymore.
The Sox were off on Memorial Day this year.

TomBradley72
08-04-2010, 03:18 PM
I still do not understand why games in the first week are played in northern cities w/outdoor stadiums...why not take this approach:

Week 1 Homestands-

San Diego
Los Angeles Dodgers
Loas Angeles Angels
San Francisco Giants
Oakland A's
Arizona Diamondbacks
Seattle Mariners
Milwaukee Brewers
Tampa Bay Rays
Florida Marlins
Texas Rangers
Atlanta Braves
Houston Astros
Washington Nationals
Toronto Blue jays

Week 2-

The other 15 teams

One week can make a difference in rain outs, etc. in early April.

ewokpelts
08-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Here's hoping for mid-week premium pricing vs. the Dodgers and cheap knockoffs of the 1959 uniforms...againi imagine the players prefer to play in the "knockoff" 59 jersey than the WOOL mitchell and ness uniforms.

ewokpelts
08-04-2010, 03:40 PM
I still do not understand why games in the first week are played in northern cities w/outdoor stadiums...why not take this approach:

Week 1 Homestands-
San Diego
Los Angeles Dodgers
Loas Angeles Angels
San Francisco Giants
Oakland A's
Arizona Diamondbacks
Seattle Mariners
Milwaukee Brewers
Tampa Bay Rays
Florida Marlins
Texas Rangers
Atlanta Braves
Houston Astros
Washington Nationals
Toronto Blue jays

Week 2-

The other 15 teams

One week can make a difference in rain outs, etc. in early April.the warm weather/dome teams wil lhav eless summer games then. they need to sell tickets too, you know

ewokpelts
08-04-2010, 03:42 PM
I'll be interested to see if the Sox get to play at home on either Memorial Day, July 4, or Labor Day. Seems like forever since the Sox played a home game on one of those days.july 5th this years was considered a holiday. sox were home against the angels to a packed house.

ewokpelts
08-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Just returned from eight days in Chicago visiting family, friends, my old high school and of course the White Sox.

Spoke with some members of the front office and was told the 2011 schedule is about set. There are still some things to be worked out but they are minor in nature.

The "highlights":

* Unfortunately the Sox are stuck with a number of April home games again (which probably means bad weather and smaller attendance)
* The Dodgers, Cubs and Nationals come to Chicago for interleague play. (first time the Washington franchise will play in Chicago against the Sox since 1971)

Lip
i'm glad we open on the road. gettign tired of missing opening day around the league so the sox can play cleveland...again

are the cubs still a weekend series?

WhiteSox5187
08-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Clutch:

I'm only repeating the information that I was told. The schedule could look very different day-wise since MLB intends to end the season during the middle of the week.

And for years MLB opened the season on days other than Monday and the home openers that I recall came on different days too.

Lip

I think that for years and years and years MLB used to always open up in Cincinnati on a Monday and then other teams would open up whenever. Then with the advent of ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball that tradition died and it became "Opening Sunday Night!"

i imagine the players prefer to play in the "knockoff" 59 jersey than the WOOL mitchell and ness uniforms.

I have no basis for this, but I really have a hard time believing that in '05 Sox players actually wore wool for that game. I imagine the technology is available for Mitchell and Ness to make a uniform that looks like it is made out of wool without actually being made out of wool. That '09 throwback was just pitiful. If you're going to do a throwback game, do it right.

Boondock Saint
08-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Scratch the Cubs from it, and that's the best looking interleague schedule I've seen in some time.

ewokpelts
08-04-2010, 04:24 PM
I think that for years and years and years MLB used to always open up in Cincinnati on a Monday and then other teams would open up whenever. Then with the advent of ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball that tradition died and it became "Opening Sunday Night!"

I have no basis for this, but I really have a hard time believing that in '05 Sox players actually wore wool for that game. I imagine the technology is available for Mitchell and Ness to make a uniform that looks like it is made out of wool without actually being made out of wool. That '09 throwback was just pitiful. If you're going to do a throwback game, do it right.those were wool. unless they were chinese fakes.

plenty of teams have tweaked a classic design for either a recurring throwback(milwaukee) or one time use. in fact, cleveland is the best example of using a 50's era design and modernizing it for an alternate. sox are not wrong to try that with the 59 style.

downstairs
08-04-2010, 04:29 PM
I have no basis for this, but I really have a hard time believing that in '05 Sox players actually wore wool for that game. I imagine the technology is available for Mitchell and Ness to make a uniform that looks like it is made out of wool without actually being made out of wool. That '09 throwback was just pitiful. If you're going to do a throwback game, do it right.

I'm a uniform geek and read uniwatchblog.com every day. The blog recently did a bit about just this- replicating wool. It is very difficult to do and look decent, but some sort of new dye sublimation technology came out recently and some uniform company is attempting it. Some college team is going to wear grey wool-lookalikes this year, and they look sweet. Sorry I don't have the team name or pics handy.

WhiteSox5187
08-04-2010, 04:39 PM
I'm a uniform geek and read uniwatchblog.com every day. The blog recently did a bit about just this- replicating wool. It is very difficult to do and look decent, but some sort of new dye sublimation technology came out recently and some uniform company is attempting it. Some college team is going to wear grey wool-lookalikes this year, and they look sweet. Sorry I don't have the team name or pics handy.

I know what you're talking about, that is also the team that wears pullovers that look like button ups. I still think you can get that cream colored tint with a uniform without it being wool, the Giants do it and have done it for a few years now. That's what the Sox had in '05 and were missing in '09. They were wearing white uniforms in '09 where the uniform color should be more cream based.

Medford Bobby
08-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Lip

This would be a GREAT opportunity to pull out the 1971 uniforms for a throwback game of Sox vs. Senators!!

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago_sports_mob/assets_c/2010/04/Melton-thumb-autox379-120627.jpghttp://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ojwG0q5rTYxGCM:http://i41.tinypic.com/121bzus.jpg&t=1:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::gulp:

TomBradley72
08-04-2010, 05:34 PM
the warm weather/dome teams wil lhav eless summer games then. they need to sell tickets too, you know

??

All you're doing is shifting the timing of their April games...all home openers are completed within the first two weeks of the season...I'm simply proposing that all of the week 1 home openers are in warm weather/dome stadiums.

ChiSoxGirl
08-04-2010, 07:37 PM

The "highlights":

Lip

You have no idea how happy this makes me!!!! With Easter falling so late next year, my Spring Break, that is usually Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and the week after, has been moved to the last week in March, so as to avoid coming back to school on May 1. Instead, we'll go back to school on Monday, April 4 and there's absolutely no way my principal would've approved a Personal Day for the day after we'd come back from Spring Break. She'll have no problem with approving a Personal Day later that week, though! :bandance:

chisoxfanatic
08-04-2010, 07:53 PM
How does MLB plan on making that happen?

Bobby Thigpen
08-04-2010, 08:07 PM
I will never figure out why people complain so much about having the opportunity to automatically win 3-4 games every year.

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Hmmmm, I'd like to take a summer vacation in San Francisco or San Diego...

Bobby Thigpen
08-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Hmmmm, I'd like to take a summer vacation in San Francisco or San Diego...
I would too. Can they make this trip again in say 2030?

nccwsfan
08-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Didn't see it on here, but Mark Gonzalez tweeted the White Sox tentatively play in Arizona during Fathers Day weekend (June 17-19).

Dick Allen
08-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Third time in 4 years they'll be playing the Dodgers. They're getting into Pirates territory.

ewokpelts
08-05-2010, 11:00 AM
??

All you're doing is shifting the timing of their April games...all home openers are completed within the first two weeks of the season...I'm simply proposing that all of the week 1 home openers are in warm weather/dome stadiums.it wont work.

also, sox and cubs BOTH on the road? yanks and mets on the road too?

but a's/giants both at home?

ewokpelts
08-05-2010, 11:03 AM
a thursday opener, followed by three weekend games. not bad for the sox. last few years we got a monday opener and stayed home for a whole week thus getting lousy attendance.

TDog
08-05-2010, 11:12 AM
* The Sox go to the Cubs, Arizona and either San Diego or San Francisco for the road portion of interleague play. ...

I'd love for the Sox to come back to San Francisco. The Sox went 3-0 in San Francisco in 2008. Alexei Ramirez hit his first major league homer against Jonathan Sanchez to win the first game 2-0. The Giants would figure to be a better team, but so would the White Sox.

TomBradley72
08-05-2010, 11:13 AM
it wont work.

also, sox and cubs BOTH on the road? yanks and mets on the road too?

but a's/giants both at home?

You can make it work for the first 2 weeks in April...then go back to the regular rhythm, etc.

ewokpelts
08-05-2010, 11:46 AM
You can make it work for the first 2 weeks in April...then go back to the regular rhythm, etc.the day of game workers would be out of whack in 2 team towns. cusb abd sox on the road for OD would be a diaster the next week when they have overlapping series. same for ny and bay area. i suspect the la area can handle it, but i bet they share day of game workers with both parks 30 miles from each other.

BNLSox
08-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Please San Diego! They did SF back in 07 or 08. White Sox came to San Diego in 2005. I came down here from when I was living in San Francisco and got to see Hermanson blow the save for a Padres walkoff.:cool:

+1, made the same trip, saw the same sad walkoff.

chisoxfanatic
08-05-2010, 05:01 PM
I still would like to know how they intend to decrease off days. Are they going to do away with the travel days during each series?

FielderJones
08-05-2010, 09:37 PM
I still would like to know how they intend to decrease off days. Are they going to do away with the travel days during each series?

They're not going to have two-day travel gaps, or gaps between games at the same park. Look at this nonsense (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2009/YPS_2009.htm) from last year.