PDA

View Full Version : 600 for A-Roid

doublem23
08-04-2010, 01:58 PM
http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=300804110

Took Shaun Marcum deep in the bottom of the 1st in the Bronx this afternoon.

spawn
08-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Yeah!!!

VenturaFan23

Twins_Morneau
It means nothing. No one in the country even cares anymore, the home run race
is a farce. And so is ARoid.

Coops4Aces
08-04-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm just glad its over

spawn
It means nothing. No one in the country even cares anymore, the home run race
is a farce. And so is ARoid.

It means everything to ESPN, which is why the had to broadcast every ARod AB until he hit it.

JB98
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

No one outside of New York and Bristol, Conn., respects A-Roid.

Pablo_Honey
08-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Bleh. I really liked him because I thought he was one of the only legit hitters in the game. I've been fooled and I couldn't care less how many this cheater hits anymore.

JermaineDye05
08-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Albert Pujols is 8 away from 400. He'll pass A-Rod eventually.

I think and HOPE that he's clean.

VMSNS
08-04-2010, 02:16 PM
I just saw this "breaking news" on ESPN while out to lunch. It was ARod's 600th, followed by talk of Bret Favre, followed by talk of LeBron and the Heat facing Cleveland this year.

:chunks

DumpJerry
08-04-2010, 02:19 PM
They were sweating bullets at ESPN for the past 24 hours because how in the world can they juggle non-stop coverage of:
1. A Roid's 600th*
2. Favre
3. LaBron.

Now they can focus on just two of those items once they complete the 48 hour non-stop retrospective of how A-Roid hit his 600th* home run and its impact in the starving children of Bangladesh.

LoveYourSuit
08-04-2010, 02:26 PM
It's great that it happened during afternoon baseball on a weekday, when most of America is busy doing other things.

BleacherBandit
08-04-2010, 02:27 PM
It's great that it happened during afternoon baseball on a weekday, when most of America is busy doing other things.

We're going to be hearing about it non-stop when we come home from work.

TDog
08-04-2010, 02:28 PM
It wasn't so long ago that when Barry Bonds was chasing Hank Aaron, there were people posting about looking forward to the day when Alex Rodriguez passed Bonds.

Dibbs
08-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Albert Pujols is 8 away from 400. He'll pass A-Rod eventually.

I think and HOPE that he's clean.

I don't think Pujols will ever pass ARod. Plus, I think people might question Pujols if he ever got up there anyway. I would hope he is clean too, but you never know.

pythons007
08-04-2010, 02:53 PM
I don't think Pujols will ever pass ARod. Plus, I think people might question Pujols if he ever got up there anyway. I would hope he is clean too, but you never know.

Pujols is 4 years younger so he would have to average 50 homers to get where ARoid is at by the same age. I doubt he does that, I mean Pujols is no Sammy Sosa who averaged 60 in a 4 year period:rolleyes:!!

BadBobbyJenks
08-04-2010, 02:56 PM
It is about time. It wasn't just ESPN, MLB broke in for every at bat.

JermaineDye05
08-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Pujols is 4 years younger so he would have to average 50 homers to get where ARoid is at by the same age. I doubt he does that, I mean Pujols is no Sammy Sosa who averaged 60 in a 4 year period:rolleyes:!!

Albert's actually 5 years younger.

Which would mean he'd have to average about 40 HRs a year to make it to 600 by the time he's 35. I think that's very doable for him, especially if he moves to a better hitters park if/when he becomes a free agent.

Red Barchetta
08-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Albert's actually 5 years younger.

Which would mean he'd have to average about 40 HRs a year to make it to 600 by the time he's 35. I think that's very doable for him, especially if he moves to a better hitters park if/when he becomes a free agent.

...Like US Cellular Field! :cool:

happydude
08-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Rodriguez's accomplishment will be rightfully minimized by his admission to prior use of PED's. Still, that's a hell of a lot of homers and, unless its discovered that he was using throughout his entire career (not completely unlikely), I believe congratulations are still in order.

manders_01
08-04-2010, 03:49 PM
I took the day off work today so I heard the good news this morning. I'm now watching the Rockies game and they're talking about it. A lot. Already completely sick of the recounts. :puking:

I don't care that he "only" took steroids for three years. That's long enough in my opinion to bolster your career numbers. You get an asterisk from me Alex. :tsk:

GoGoCrede
08-04-2010, 03:49 PM
It wasn't so long ago that when Barry Bonds was chasing Hank Aaron, there were people posting about looking forward to the day when Alex Rodriguez passed Bonds.

I love Henry Aaron. Total class act. He's still the Home Run Leader in my own personal HOF.

g0g0
08-04-2010, 03:52 PM

+1!!!

Looking at A-rod , Bonds and Sosa up there makes me want to puke. What's amazing is with Jr. being hurt so much, just think what he could have done if he stayed healthy...

thomas35forever
08-04-2010, 04:05 PM
How foolish of me to miss this great moment in baseball history.

SI1020
08-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Henry Aaron is the HR king for me too.

LongLiveFisk
08-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Never cared for the guy, even before the steroid b.s. Just something about him I always found distasteful.

WhiteSox5187
08-04-2010, 05:07 PM
I was talking about this with my brother and how we can now look back and say some of our favorite baseball moments when we were kids are no completely fraudulent. It's a shame. It's a shame that steroids has permanently tainted some of baseball's most storied records. I know it opens a can of worms and probably can't be done but I wish there was a way that baseball could permanently remove the likes of Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, ARod and every other steroid using hack from the record books. For me Aaron is still the HR king and Maris still has the single season record.

decolores9628
08-04-2010, 06:28 PM
I don't even know how many HRs Barry Bonds has for his career. It will always be 755 for me, at least for a whole.

SOXSINCE'70
08-04-2010, 06:47 PM
It means everything to ESPN, which is why the had to broadcast every ARod AB until he hit it.

The MLB network is just as guilty.:mad:
It's over. As Ozzie would say, "Tank Got".(Thank God).

SOXSINCE'70
08-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Henry Aaron is the HR king for me too.

Many of us "Old School" baseball fans will believe Aaron is the HR king as well.

oldfatsoxbatboy
08-04-2010, 11:21 PM
What is the deal? Why all the excitement and not a mention of the roids...unlike when Barry roid hit his.

pythons007
08-04-2010, 11:24 PM
This might be an unpopular statement here, but no matter what they still have to hit the ball well enough to get it out. It's not like these guys were hitting popups that were just muscled out of the park.

I'm not a fan of the roiders either, but a little credit should be due and I hate ARod, Bonds, and Sosa.

cards press box
08-04-2010, 11:34 PM
What is the deal? Why all the excitement and not a mention of the roids...unlike when Barry roid hit his.

There does not appear to be any excitement at this website for this admitted steroid cheat and rightfully so. In fact, one of the best moments of the 2010 season was when Oakland's Dallas Braden told Rodriguez to get the ***** off his mound after Rodriguez violated baseball etiquette by trotting over the mound after making an out.

sullythered
08-04-2010, 11:46 PM
This might be an unpopular statement here, but no matter what they still have to hit the ball well enough to get it out. It's not like these guys were hitting popups that were just muscled out of the park.

I'm not a fan of the roiders either, but a little credit should be due and I hate ARod, Bonds, and Sosa.

It has been proven time and again that performance enhancing drugs GREATLY increase the likelihood that a player will hit the ball well. Bat speed, bat control, even eyesight are improved by steroids and HGH. It's not even close to as simple as "well he would have still hit it on the screws, the juice just made him hit it farther." That's just simply not how it works.

So not just unpopular, but factually incorrect.

Nellie_Fox
08-05-2010, 02:02 AM
Single season home run record holder: Roger Maris.

Career home run record holder: Henry Aaron.

Seven people have hit 600+; four of them in the last ten years. I wonder why.

First he told Katie Kouric he didn't use PED. He lied.

Then he said he only used them for three years when he was with Texas. I don't believe him now, either.

VenturaFan23
08-05-2010, 07:04 AM

:yup: Amen brother.

Iwritecode
08-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Fun fact: Hank and Tommie Aaron hold the MLB record for most career home runs combined between brothers.

DumpJerry
08-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Of the seven, Ruth, Aaron, Mays, and Griffey are clean. The others, Sosa, A-roid, Bonds are not. Shame on the three. I have a feeling that of the Dirty Three, A-Roid will be the first in the HoF, ESPN will make sure it happens.:rolleyes:

spawn
08-05-2010, 10:42 AM

First he told Katie Kouric he didn't use PED. He lied.

Then he said he only used them for three years when he was with Texas. I don't believe him now, either.

I was thinking about the HR record on my drive to the train station today. I can honestly say that I don't know how many homers Bonds has hit. I know Aaron has 755, Ruth 714, and Willie Mays has 660. I guess this tells me that Bonds' numbers don't mean anything to me. Those three are the true HR Kings IMO.

TDog
08-05-2010, 11:55 AM
I love Henry Aaron. Total class act. He's still the Home Run Leader in my own personal HOF.

I was thinking much the same thing while I stopped to admire the Willie Mays statue outside AT&T last week. I remember seeing these guys play late in their career. Especially Mays to be playing all those games in Candlestick and hitting all those home runs, it seems Barry Bonds just cheapened the accomplishment. One day there will be a Barry Bonds statue outside AT&T, though.

GoGoCrede
08-05-2010, 12:03 PM
I was thinking about the HR record on my drive to the train station today. I can honestly say that I don't know how many homers Bonds has hit. I know Aaron has 755, Ruth 714, and Willie Mays has 660. I guess this tells me that Bonds' numbers don't mean anything to me. Those three are the true HR Kings IMO.

Yep. To see Hank Aaron's record "beat," especially when he's such a great guy and Barry, well, isn't, is hard to swallow. I'm reading Hank's autobiography right now. :smile: