PDA

View Full Version : Where are they now? Stan Musial

BleacherBandit
08-04-2010, 11:43 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1172566/index.htm

This is a very charming article about a very charming former ball player and legend. Did anyone get the chance to see him play?

LITTLE NELL
08-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Shook is hand at Wrigley and got his autograph in 57 or 58.
Remember when he got his 3000th hit at Wrigley, a line drive opposite field double.
Some of the other Hall of Famers from that era that I was lucky to see:

Nellie Fox
Luis Aparicio
Early Wynn
Billy Pierce (Not in but should be in the Hall)
Mickey Mantle
Whitey Ford
Yogi Berra
Ted Williams
Al Kaline
Willie Mays
Willie McCovey
Juan Marichal
Duke Snider
Sandy Koufax
Don Drysdale
Henry Aaron
Eddie Mathews
Warren Spahn
Ernie Banks
Billy Williams
Richie Ashburn
Robin Roberts
Robert Clemente
Bill Mazerroski

I'm sure I left out a few but In my mind these were the best out of the what is considered the ''Golden Age of Baseball''.

g0g0
08-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Shook is hand at Wrigley and got his autograph in 57 or 58.
Remember when he got his 3000th hit at Wrigley, a line drive opposite field double.
Some of the other Hall of Famers from that era that I was lucky to see:

Nellie Fox
Luis Aparicio
Early Wynn
Billy Pierce (Not in but should be in the Hall)
Mickey Mantle
Whitey Ford
Yogi Berra
Ted Williams
Al Kaline
Willie Mays
Willie McCovey
Juan Marichal
Duke Snider
Sandy Koufax
Don Drysdale
Henry Aaron
Eddie Mathews
Warren Spahn
Ernie Banks
Billy Williams
Richie Ashburn
Robin Roberts
Robert Clemente
Bill Mazerroski

I'm sure I left out a few but In my mind these were the best out of the what is considered the ''Golden Age of Baseball''.

Wow, what a great list! Did it dawn on you at the time that you were witnessing so many HOFers?

LITTLE NELL
08-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Wow, what a great list! Did it dawn on you at the time that you were witnessing so many HOFers?

As a kid you don't think of those things, but I had all their baseball cards and wish like hell that I still had them.

TornLabrum
08-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Never saw Musial in play in person. Chicago was too far away from where I grew up. But we could get channel 9, and I didn't care what team I watched as long as it was baseball, so I saw him a lot on TV. He was a terrific hitter. I saw pretty much the same people Little Nell. did, some on TV but some of them in person at Comiskey Park.

Nellie_Fox
08-05-2010, 01:07 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1172566/index.htm

This is a very charming article about a very charming former ball player and legend. Did anyone get the chance to see him play?I don't think I ever saw him live, but I might have. I didn't go to Wrigley very often, but watched a lot of Cubs games on WGN back when they only broadcast whichever team was at home, and I was still young enough to be in the "I like both teams" phase of my life. So, I saw him on TV a lot.

johnnyg83
08-06-2010, 07:30 AM
I was at a wedding in St. Louis maybe 8 years ago and he was there. The father of the bride was a one of the top guys with Budweiser.

Musial played two or three songs on the harmonica with the band. It was insane. Couldn't have been a nicer guy. Norm Crosby was there too and gave one of the funniest wedding speeches I've ever heard.